Ares Games

Thread: Just a quick Painting Query...

Default Just a quick Painting Query...

I'm finally going to "do my stuff" with my BoB collection and would like to paint the interiors of my planes. First, has anybody done so ... and secondly, IF so, how difficult is it to remove the canopies? I certainly don't want to damage anything. Any tips?

There's a word for you: "Masochist." Generally accepted practice in modeling anything below 1/100 is usually to paint any "glass" a shade of blue or silver that contrasts with the surrounding finish.

No advice to give, but good luck--Yer Gonna Need It.
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

I'm with Db on this idea.

As the cockpits are not finished in any meaningful way, nor is the canopy hollow (I'm not completely sure, but...), and at 1/200 scale, this falls into that category I refer to as 'excessive'. Planes had Zinc Chromate Primer on most interior finishes, as they were not normally dressed up for appearance purposes. Where visibility or reflectivity might be an issue, matt black was the finish (control panels and exposed surfaces in cockpits?)

Link: federalstandard595.com - Everything You Need To Know About Zinc Chromate
    PS: Note that in the article link, they suggest that zinc Chromate formulation was not about the color, but the qualities of corrosion resistance. So, anything from bile yellow to mint green could be seen, depending on the manufacturer.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

I recall painting Luftwaffe cockpit interiors a pale pastel green back in my youth.............

As for canopy removal, I find that a scalpel, drawn slowly and repeatedly, stroke by stroke, along the join line with the fuselage gradually cuts/releases the join.
    Alternate one side (a few strokes), then the opposite side - don't complete one side without starting the other, in case the canopy plastic breaks under the strain.

I fully intend to do mine, but don't have the free time to do so, unless a specific need arises and changes my queue priorities.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Oh yes! At least the canopy frames!!!! Careful when you glue them back on . . .

Similar Missions

1. Albatross C.III Query
    By BellMW54 in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-27-2017, 15:47
  2. SE5 query
    By Ben UK in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 11-17-2016, 15:08
  3. MOAB Query?
    By gully_raker in forum Australian Wing
    Replies: 1