Ares Games
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OTT CYM Mission 3 - The Oxymoron of Military Intelligence - July 19th 1916 by ShadowD

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    You had six available pilots on the roster from the moment you published the BRF Paul - Fwbl Otto Marwitz was added as a replacement in anticipation of need.
    I think I need to get my eyes checked. I did check but must have confused the Marwitz line with the next ‘P2’ line. Thanks for pointing that out.

Easily done mate, I try to keep ahead of things but always PM me if you think you need pilots or crew, all the chaps do.

"He is wise who watches"

I've added a half-size version of the scenario at the end of the scenario write up, which is intended for non-campaign players who might not want to have a 8-12 planes on the table at once. I will use this half-pint version for my post-war campaign that's a continuation of the Italian Front version.

Question

Finally got to play part One today & I have a query.
    I destroyed one of the AA Flak guns with the Vickers on the Strutter.
    Does that Gun stay inoperative in Part 2?????

It says:
    Leave the AA Guns with any damage they might have suffered in part 1.
    so the gun is gone Baz.

"He is wise who watches"

My post war version of this scenario is posted in the AAR section. I did a half-sized version. It wasn’t as exciting as the full version but it was still fun.

https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...y-Intelligence

I've finished Game 2 and it's written up, just needs posting but I just had a gander through this one and it seems everyone has had a good time with it. I did look at it briefly a while ago and it seemed like a big game, more along the lines of a mini campaign which is different and quite appealing but I thought initially I would have to do something to cut it down a bit so I can fit it in to the time available for me.
    Since then I see that Paul has provided a couple of smaller alternatives which I might take up, so thanks for giving us the option of alternatives I think that's very laudable.

I guess that a lot of you have extra time due to the lock down but I'm finding that being retired, it's not made any difference to my available time but because other people have more time to fill, it's impinging on mine. Today I've been involved in a raid on a manor house, I'm the Sweeny, it's the 1970's, kipper ties and flares and tonight I'm down a dungeon with my kids, tomorrow I'm back in the manor house chasing down Swiss Tony and his scroats, looking for the Mayoress of Gasforth who is a hostage, or at least I think she is, unless the Stockholm Syndrome comes into play.

Anyway - hope to get to this soon.

Swiss Tony ?

Like - "Playing Wings of Glory is much like making love to a beautiful woman John... Get her on the table as often as you can, push past all opposition... but make sure you finish before dinnertime...." Swiss Toni?
    Look forward to your second run out John.

"He is wise who watches"

It's a different Tony but probably of a similar ilk. The chap running the game is based down your way, in Devon, I know that's not that close but it's all down south to me. He's posted some of the opening stuff here http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=125159.0 if you're interested, it's mainly quite funny.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    I've finished Game 2 and it's written up, just needs posting but I just had a gander through this one and it seems everyone has had a good time with it. I did look at it briefly a while ago and it seemed like a big game, more along the lines of a mini campaign which is different and quite appealing but I thought initially I would have to do something to cut it down a bit so I can fit it in to the time available for me.
    Since then I see that Paul has provided a couple of smaller alternatives which I might take up, so thanks for giving us the option of alternatives I think that's very laudable.

I guess that a lot of you have extra time due to the lock down but I'm finding that being retired, it's not made any difference to my available time but because other people have more time to fill, it's impinging on mine. Today I've been involved in a raid on a manor house, I'm the Sweeny, it's the 1970's, kipper ties and flares and tonight I'm down a dungeon with my kids, tomorrow I'm back in the manor house chasing down Swiss Tony and his scroats, looking for the Mayoress of Gasforth who is a hostage, or at least I think she is, unless the Stockholm Syndrome comes into play.

Anyway - hope to get to this soon.
    Hi John,

I ran the 'lite' version for my alternative campaign in the AAR section. The only thing I dropped entirely was the AA gun but that was because I didn't think in the context of my storyline that the defenders would have AA guns. They did have AAMG but I didn't fly my planes that low. Part 1 was had 4 planes on the table and took 7 turns while part 2 had 5 planes and was over in 4 turns but I was using late war planes. The F2B will cover the ground a little bit faster than the 1916 tandems.

You can check it out here to see if the smaller version suits.

It's a different Tony but probably of a similar ilk. The chap running the game is based down your way, in Devon, I know that's not that close but it's all down south to me. He's posted some of the opening stuff here http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=125159.0 if you're interested, it's mainly quite funny.
    Cheers
    That looks like a right larf John ! Though a Scooby Doo is a clue as in "he don't have a Scooby"
    Last edited by flash; 06-17-2020 at 00:42.

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowDragon View Post
    Hi John,

I ran the 'lite' version for my alternative campaign in the AAR section. The only thing I dropped entirely was the AA gun but that was because I didn't think in the context of my storyline that the defenders would have AA guns. They did have AAMG but I didn't fly my planes that low. Part 1 was had 4 planes on the table and took 7 turns while part 2 had 5 planes and was over in 4 turns but I was using late war planes. The F2B will cover the ground a little bit faster than the 1916 tandems.

You can check it out here to see if the smaller version suits.

Cheers Paul
    Thanks for this info, it might be a little longer than I envisioned before I get to play, it does seem like a game with a good number of alternative outcomes so just need a bit of head space to think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    That looks like a right larf John ! Though a Scooby Doo is a clue as in "he don't have a Scooby"
    It was good fun, we finished today, I took down Swiss Tony but the Hostage got killed in the process. Plod is trying to work out how to explain all the size 10 boot prints on the head of the scroat who killed the hostage. Fortunately there are no scroats alive who saw the incident and it's 1970 so we should be ok.

Back down the dungeon tonight and next week off to Vietnam, I'm setting up a game to rescue a downed pilot based on the film Birddog with Gene Hackman and Danny Glover.
    Cheers

...next week off to Vietnam, I'm setting up a game to rescue a downed pilot based on the film Birddog with Gene Hackman and Danny Glover...
    The film's BAT*21, the book's Birddog. Not seen it for a while now but one of my favourites and it's loosely based on a real event.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rescue_of_Bat_21_Bravo

"He is wise who watches"

Ahhgh of course Bat21. I saw the film years ago and enjoyed it, for my game design I watched a poor quality version on youtube recently looking for incidents to incorporate into the scenario.

Bat21, must remember.

Tough life you seem to be having there John - I feel for you buddy

I finally got to fly this mission about 2 weeks ago, and made more mistakes than usual, which is saying something Not only in the rules which is normal for me but also in the scenario as well. My apologies Paul.

I finally got to fly this mission about 2 weeks ago, and made more mistakes than usual, which is saying something Not only in the rules which is normal for me but also in the scenario as well. My apologies Paul.
    Can't make an omelet without breaking an egg. Can't play a WoG mission without making mistakes. At least that's my opinion.

It's all good if the story and pics come out okay. It's not the mistakes you make it's how you incorporate them into the story.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Missions

1. AAR OTT DYM Mission 7 - Dit Fromage! - 19th february 1916 by Mike
    By mikeemagnus in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 10-11-2019, 17:45
  2. AAR OTT DYM Mission 7-- Dit Fromage--19th Feb 1916--gully_raker
    By gully_raker in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 09-19-2019, 10:36
  3. AAR OTT DYM Mission 3 - Knowledge is Power - 19th Jan 1916 - teaticket
    By Teaticket in forum Over the Trenches