Ares Games
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OTT CYM Mission 3 - The Oxymoron of Military Intelligence - July 19th 1916 by ShadowD

Default OTT CYM Mission 3 - The Oxymoron of Military Intelligence - July 19th 1916 by ShadowD

OTT CYM - Mission 3 – The Oxymoron of Military Intelligence - July 19th 1916 by ShadowDragon
    Superior intelligence is a critical component to success. This means that a commander has accurate, relevant and timely information. With substantial trench systems from Switzerland to the sea, a traditional source of information, the cavalry, had been rendered useless. Fortunately aerial forces stepped into that capability gap. there were issues to be sorted out such as the quality and timeliness of the information which were solved through advances in better aerial photography and procedures such as in the field processing. Of course, aerial reconnaissance information needed to be ‘fused’ with other intelligence sources such as human intelligence or HUMINT (spying and the interrogation of prisoners) and electronic information or ELINT (eavesdropping on enemy communications). Of course, there were counters to aerial reconnaissance through air defences and the camouflage of critical installations.

Cavalry reconnaissance and observation balloon

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WWI M3 Recce.png 
Views:	444 
Size:	83.2 KB 
ID:	286346 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Observation balloon.jpg 
Views:	447 
Size:	59.1 KB 
ID:	286350

HUMINT???

Name:	Spy vs Spy toy.jpg 
Views:	446 
Size:	21.3 KB 
ID:	286349

ELINT

Name:	Wireless Direction Finding.jpg 
Views:	445 
Size:	58.5 KB 
ID:	286347

US aero-squadron photography unit with mobile development lab

Name:	Aerial photography mobile lab.jpg 
Views:	437 
Size:	33.8 KB 
ID:	286355

Camouflaged Saxon depot

Name:	Supply Depot.jpg 
Views:	440 
Size:	44.4 KB 
ID:	286348

It is the 19th of July and British and Australian troops are about to begin the Battle of Fromelles, part of the larger Battle of the Somme. The artillery zero hour is 11:00 AM. Success or failure depends heavily on the artillery and that means lots and lot of ammunition. Not only can air power provide intelligence the ability of air power to interdict enemy operations tantalizes commanders.

So it is that the squadron sees the arrival of boffins and technicians ready to trial the ability of aeroplanes to first collect intelligence and then to rapidly exploit that information. They even brought a new-fangled field photographic development lab. Apparently, other intelligence had indicated that the enemy has a couple of well-camouflaged stockpiles of ammunition, which if destroyed would hamper their operations. However, that intelligence has only narrowed the possibilities to four locations. Aerial photographs are needed to confirm which two of the sites are the correct ones. To get the most of this information the concept is to quickly develop the photographic plates and get bombers back in the air as soon as possible before the enemy can effectively respond.

Mission:
    This is a two part mission. The first part will be to photograph four target sites and the second part will be to bomb those sites. Due to the concept of operations speed is of the essence. Only the squadron’s assets will be used for both parts. There will be no time to replace damaged aeroplanes or wounded air crew. It will be up to the player how to manage their scarce resources.

Situation:
    The squadron has four (4) serviceable scout aircraft and three (3) serviceable tandem reconnaissance/bomber aircraft. However, there are six (6) scout pilots along with three (3) sets of tandem air crew. You will choose as many of these for the first part of the mission but any aeroplane that has 50% or more damage is deemed unserviceable and unavailable for the second part of the mission. Similarly any pilot shot down or wounded in part 1 is also unavailable for part 2. Be wary. More aeroplanes might mean a faster conclusion to the mission but they might also attract more enemy.

The objective of part 1 is to photograph the four potential sites – two real supply depots and two dummy supply depots - and return the photographs to the aerodrome for processing by the boffins. The objective of part 2 will be to bomb the two sites the boffins think are the real supply depots.

Set-up:
    Two mats - long edge to long edge. Preferably countryside to the left; trenches to the right.

Friendly:
    Part 1: Set up on the trenches mat. All aeroplanes chosen for the mission with their rear base edge no further than ½ ruler from the outside long edge of the mat. They can be placed anywhere you like along the edge. You do not have to have all aeroplanes on the mat initially. They can enter in successive movement phases. It’s your choice.
    Part 2: The same as part one. Note that aeroplanes damaged in part 1 but still deemed serviceable retain their damage. In addition, the tandem aeroplanes will have no observers in order to maximize the bomb load.

Enemy:
    Set up on the countryside mat.
    Part 1:
    Four (4) target cards in placed in four quadrants of the map – each 1 ruler from a different combination of long and short edges. Each target card has an intrinsic (B-Firing) AAMG with the arc of fire facing towards the trench mat. See the layout.
    Two (2) AA Guns placed midway between the two target cards along each short edge of the countryside mat. See the layout.
    Two (2) scout aeroplanes flying a circular pattern over the sites (clockwise or counter-clockwise – your choice or roll randomly). Place one halfway between two target cards along each of the long edges. The two aeroplanes should be flying in opposite directions.
    Two (2) more scout aeroplanes will enter at the beginning of turn 2 from one of six random entry points as shown on the layout. They should be together and ½ ruler apart. If you use more than a total of four (4) aeroplanes for your mission a further two (2) enemy scout aeroplanes will enter at the beginning of turn 3 in a similar fashion.

Part 2: Remove two of the target cards at random. These are thought by intelligence to be dummy supply depots. Leave the AA Guns with any damage they might have suffered in part 1.
    The enemy has no limitations on available aeroplanes but has only six (6) scout pilots for both missions. That means that all damaged aeroplanes are replaced but not shot down or wounded pilots with the exception that if there are fewer than three (3) pilots available after part 1, replacements are brought in so that there are a minimum of three (3) enemy pilots/aeroplanes for part 2.
    Three (3) enemy scout aeroplanes are placed on the mat. Two in a similar position as were those in part 1 and a third scout ½ ruler from a random entry point as shown in part 1.
    Each turn after turn 1 one (1) enemy scout aeroplane randomly as determined in part 1 until there are no more available enemy scout pilots.

Layout should look something like this:

Name:	Mission 3 Layout.jpg 
Views:	439 
Size:	50.2 KB 
ID:	286351

Name:	Enemy Positions.jpg 
Views:	446 
Size:	154.4 KB 
ID:	286354

Name:	Friendly Forces.jpg 
Views:	439 
Size:	134.9 KB 
ID:	286353

Name:	Overview.jpg 
Views:	447 
Size:	156.9 KB 
ID:	286352

Exits:
    Friendly: the long outside edge of the trench mat.
    Enemy: any outside edge of the countryside mat..

AA Guns: Use the solo rules in the campaign rules (i.e., range = 2 rulers; and to determine a hit, draw an A damage card, if it has no special damage on the card, the shot misses. If it does then draw a C damage card for the damage inflicted)

AA Shooting Priority: AA weapons will not normally shoot at their own side's aeroplanes. They will target the nearest opposition aeroplane within range (and within arc of fire). However, if one of their own side's aeroplanes is within one rule (and within range and arc of fire) of the designated opposition target aeroplane there is a 50-50 chance they will accidentally target their own side's aeroplane (the nearest one if there's more than one).

Photography: As written in the rules – at altitude 3 or less with a stall manoeuvre when the reconnaissance aeroplane’s centre is within ½ ruler of any point on the target card. Note that the tandems are fitted with cameras so that either the observer or the pilot can take photographs.

Bombing: As written in the rules and as described in the campaign rules.

Altitude:
    It should be played with altitude due to the photography and bombing aspects of the mission. Choose the initial altitude for the friendly aeroplanes and roll at random if the enemy are at the same altitude, above by one level or below by one level. Roll for the enemy separately for initial and reinforcing enemy aeroplanes.
    If you choose to not play with altitude then chose a fixed altitude for each part. Note that the altitude must be three (3) or less for photography in accordance with the rules. It’s your choice for bombing but the altitude will influence how long the bombs are in flight. In addition at altitude 2 or less aeroplanes are vulnerable to AAMG fire. Once the altitude is chosen for each part all aeroplanes will fly at that altitude for that part of the mission. You do not need to choose the same altitude for both mission parts.

Victory:
    First roll a normal six-sided dice and add 1 for each site successfully photographed in part 1. If the adjusted roll is 5 or more then both targets in the second part are genuine supply depots. If it’s a 3 or 4 then only one target is genuine and the other was a dummy – determine which one at random. If the result is 1 or 2 then, sorry, both targets were dummies – the boffins got it very wrong.

+1 per enemy aircraft shot down
    -1 per own aircraft shot down
    +1 per site successfully photographed
    +5 per genuine supply depot partially damaged
    +10 per genuine supply depot completely damaged
    +0 per dummy supply depot partially or completely damaged but you do get the self-satisfaction of being on target

Victory = 15 points or more

Half-Size Version - for those with fewer planes to use in the scenario.

Squadron assets are 2 scout airplanes, 3 scout pilots, 2 tandem airplanes, 2 tandem crews. You can send as many as you want in part 1 but note that if you send more than 2 the enemy force will be larger. In part 2, subtract losses a above from squadron assets. What's left is available for part 2.

Enemy:
    Part 1: There are just 2 targets (choose 2 at random from the 4 positions), one AA gun located dead centre on the countryside mat. There will be 2 enemy scouts on the table but if you send more than 2 planes a 3rd enemy scout will appear on turn 2.
    Part 2: There is only 1 target to be bombed (chosen at random). If the enemy have had a pilot shot down in part 1 or return to base wounded, then they will have only 2 scouts, otherwise 3 scouts.

Victory: Points are the same but it's a victory at 8 points or more.
    Last edited by ShadowDragon; 05-05-2020 at 08:32.

Glad we've plenty of time on our hands to play this one out !
    Question re part 2 Paul.
    Each turn after turn 1 one (1) enemy scout aeroplane randomly as determined in part 1 until there are no more available enemy scout aeroplanes.
    should that read "until there are no more available enemy scout pilots" as
    The enemy has no limitations on available aeroplanes
    ?

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Glad we've plenty of time on our hands to play this one out !
    Question re part 2 Paul.
    should that read "until there are no more available enemy scout pilots" as ?
    Yes, it should be until there are no more available enemy scout pilots. My wording was only implicit since an aeroplane without a pilot is going too far in WWI - no drone then. Correction made above.

Hopefully this isn't too onerous. I've designed it so that players can go with only a few or with a lot of airplanes. Each part should be an 'in and out' affair. One can even forgo part 1 and just do part 2 trusting to a lucky dice roll - and if it's bad blame the boffins. It will be interesting to see how different players approach this.
    Last edited by ShadowDragon; 04-27-2020 at 14:02.

Aha!

I will put aside my Battle of Britain and get back Over the Trenches - hopefully this weekend.
    I think I have just enough pilots and tandem crews to cover it - and plenty for the other side.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    Aha!

I will put aside my Battle of Britain and get back Over the Trenches - hopefully this weekend.
    I think I have just enough pilots and tandem crews to cover it - and plenty for the other side.
    Have fun with it.

Been a while since we've had a 2 part mission. Looks like a good one. Hope to tackle this one soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    Been a while since we've had a 2 part mission. Looks like a good one. Hope to tackle this one soon.
    The very first OTT scenario I played was DYM mission 2 - coming and going. I really enjoyed and played it several times. Was by someone named Teaticket.

Thumbs up

Thanks Paul! That looks interesting & should fill in some time in Lockdown.

Wow that’s in-depth and an ingenious senecio. Thanks for sharing.

I’m curious to see how everyone plays this one out. Might be a good one to play before reading other AAR.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowDragon View Post
    I’m curious to see how everyone plays this one out. Might be a good one to play before reading other AAR.
    I've taken this approach through the campaign. Occasionally I'm quite surprised at the different approaches taken but usually they are not too far off each other.

Have a bit of modern gaming to finish before I clear the table for this one - plans are formulating in the back of brain box though. May play it over a couple of days or so to give it the attention it needs.

"He is wise who watches"

I forgot to add an important bit about AA shooting priorities...as below. Mission above edited to add this bit.

AA Shooting Priorities: AA weapons will not normally shoot at their own side's aeroplanes. They will target the nearest opposition aeroplane within range (and within arc of fire). However, if one of their own side's aeroplanes is within one rule (and within range and arc of fire) of the designated opposition target aeroplane there is a 50-50 chance they will accidentally target their own side's aeroplane (the nearest one if there's more than one).

In case it’s not clear, for part 2 when you remove the 2 target cards the intrinsic AAMG are removed too.

Looking good to me Paul - thanks. Shall set it up post haste

PS I rarely, if ever, look at anyone elses AAR before posting my own. Don't ever want to be influenced by them and the variety is always fun to read

Important note: The AAMG are B-Firing AAMG, not A-Firing (unless you'd like the challenge).

Just want to make sure I am clear on something ...

We have 4 scout aircraft (6 pilots) and 3 two-seaters with crew.
    If I send 2 scouts and 2 two-seaters for Part 1 and I lose a scout and a two-seater to either accumulated damage or shot down, I can still send 2 scouts and 2 two-seaters for Part 2 because I have planes and crew available.

Or does that mean I will trigger 2 extra enemy for Part 2 because I physically used more than 4 planes?

Just want to make sure I am clear on something ...

We have 4 scout aircraft (6 pilots) and 3 two-seaters with crew.
    If I send 2 scouts and 2 two-seaters for Part 1 and I lose a scout and a two-seater to either accumulated damage or shot down, I can still send 2 scouts and 2 two-seaters for Part 2 because I have planes and crew available.

Or does that mean I will trigger 2 extra enemy for Part 2 because I physically used more than 4 planes?
    The triggering of an extra 2 enemy scouts only applies to part 1 (i.e., if you use 4 or fewer planes in part 1 you'll face 4 enemy but if you use 5 or 6 in part 1 you'll face 6 enemy).

For you other question if you lose a scout and 2-seater shot down, you'll still have 3 scouts and 2 2-seaters. You can send all of them in part 2. The way to think of it is that you have an inventory of 6 scout pilots, 3 2-seater pilots and 3 observers, 4 scout planes and 3 2-seater planes. You subtract off what you lose in part 1. So if a scout plane comes back with a wounded pilot but the plane is still okay you can replace that pilot with one of the spare scout pilots.

For the enemy it's different. They have 6 scout pilots but no limit to replace airframes. So if they lose a pilot in part 1 they'll be down in part 2, but if they have a heavily damaged plane that gets back with an unhurt pilot that pilot will get a new plane for part 2.

The point of this disastrous scenario (I've just started playing mine and I've had to super lucky missions so far but this one's going down the tubes fast) is to manage your aircrew and your airframes across two missions.

***Important addition***

What you learn re-reading the rules. Depending on the scenario the photo recon plane might be able to take pictures if the observer is wounded (i.e., the plane is equipped cameras so that either the observer or pilot can take photos. In this mission either can take a photograph.

Unfortunately, one of my tandems had its pilot wounded before reaching the 1st target.

Thanks for pointing that out, Paul.
    I hadn't twigged that I could send more in Part 2 than Part 1.

Should be an interesting day's flying tomorrow.

***Important addition***... Depending on the scenario the photo recon plane might be able to take pictures if the observer is wounded (i.e., the plane is equipped cameras so that either the observer or pilot can take photos. In this mission either can take a photograph.
    I have added that to the compilation BRF, info came too late for me, though players could use the wounded observer optional rule as this is exactly the type of mission it was designed for:

Wounded Observer:
    Option for obs/recon/bomb missions:
    a. You knock him down for the remainder of the turn he is hit in.
    b. He stays down the whole next turn.
    c. He returns to action at the beginning of the next turn with these penalties applied:
    ie 4 move gun jam, can only fire at short range & not after steep moves, Split S, Immelmann, climb cards.
    d. A second hit and observer is incapacitated for the rest of the game.

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    I have added that to the compilation BRF, info came too late for me, though players could use the wounded observer optional rule as this is exactly the type of mission it was designed for:

Wounded Observer:
    Option for obs/recon/bomb missions:
    a. You knock him down for the remainder of the turn he is hit in.
    b. He stays down the whole next turn.
    c. He returns to action at the beginning of the next turn with these penalties applied:
    ie 4 move gun jam, can only fire at short range & not after steep moves, Split S, Immelmann, climb cards.
    d. A second hit and observer is incapacitated for the rest of the game.
    Hadn't thought about the option for a pilot taking photos until I checked the rules and saw that. First hit on a tandem was a '3 pt wounded crewman' B-deck draw. Turned out it was the pilot so the mission aborted. If it had been the observer the tandem might have been able to continue.

Just finished part 1 which went a lot better than I thought it would after that first hit took out one of my tandems before it reached a target. I did notice that making sure I would have enough pilots and planes for part 2 was a factor during the play of part 1. If I played it again I might think about skipping part 1 and trust to a good dice roll for targets in part 2 but that wouldn't be in the spirit of it.

Nearly completed part one Just need clarification on one of the rules.
    Re fire: An aircraft that receives two fire damage cards in the same manoeuver ignores one. If it receives a second in a subsequent turn, the three fire token sequence starts again. So far I think I have that right. But what if an aircraft receives a fire hit in manoeuver one of a turn, then a second in manoeuver three. Does the lucky so and so still only draw one A fire damage card at the beginning of each of the next three turns? Or is it not so lucky and need to draw two each time? I'm pretty sure its only one but I want to be certain.
    Grateful for any advice received,
    Cheers

That’s how I read the rules, Mike. Just one damage card. An additional fire only brings the fire tokens back up to 3 tokens if currently less than 3. I too had a double fire....in fact fires galore.

You have it right Mike - it's "Just the one (Mrs Wembley)" Multiple fires applies to Balloons.

"He is wise who watches"

I have nearly completed Part 1 as well.
    Part 2 will be tough ....

I have nearly completed Part 1 as well.
    Part 2 will be tough ....
    I've finished mine. It went back and forth a few times when I thought one side or the other would dominate. Heavy damage all around. AA guns were a nuisance as usual. Just one boom but seven fires! But only 2 airplanes went down due to fire damage. Another was shot down while on fire.

In one sense, part 2 is easier. With the photos you have to get the airplanes back for successful photos but one you've bombed the target getting the plane back is a 'luxury'. - well, from the viewpoint of high command.

Please keep in mind that this was my first WoG scenario. I think it was somewhat overegged. I much prefer Teaticket's DYM 2-part mission but that one was 'taken'.

Please keep in mind that this was my first WoG scenario. I think it was somewhat overegged. I much prefer Teaticket's DYM 2-part mission but that one was 'taken'.
    Don't be hard on yourself.
    I like what you brought to the table.
    The concept of survivors and limited resources makes for a different take on what are actually very limited scenario options.

Now I have to come up with something for next month ...

Don't be hard on yourself.
    I like what you brought to the table.
    The concept of survivors and limited resources makes for a different take on what are actually very limited scenario options.

Now I have to come up with something for next month ...
    It's just because I got tired playing the game which is more to do with suffering from seasonal allergies and consequently waking up far too early from headaches the past few days than the mission itself. I should have delayed until my head was less foggy.

Re. the fire rules: Thanks for clearing that one for me guys

Re Mission 3. Part one completed and just for once things went brilliantly for my chaps. Can't help thinking that it could all go horribly wrong in part two, but as of this moment we definitely have the upper hand

Another question please: I take it I go through the Butcher's Bill process for part one now, before starting part two? I assume also, that I apply the results for the pilots, so that if they are required to skip missions, that starts before part two? Is that correct?

Paul, the mission is a good one. Thanks. Probably equivalent to two missions, but with lock down in place, I for one am more than happy with that Going to be rather a lot of pics too and I'm tempted to write it and post it as two seperate AARs if that's ok.

Thanks, its an enjoyable mission so far.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeemagnus View Post
    Another question please: I take it I go through the Butcher's Bill process for part one now, before starting part two? I assume also, that I apply the results for the pilots, so that if they are required to skip missions, that starts before part two? Is that correct?

Paul, the mission is a good one. Thanks. Probably equivalent to two missions, but with lock down in place, I for one am more than happy with that Going to be rather a lot of pics too and I'm tempted to write it and post it as two seperate AARs if that's ok.

Thanks, its an enjoyable mission so far.
    No need to go through the butchers bill between parts. Any pilot shot down or returned to base wounded isn’t available for part 2 for either side, so the outcome of the the butchers bill won’t make any difference. When it comes to planes for your squadron only planes with less than 50% damage can be used for part 2 and the planes keep their damage score. The enemy can get new planes.

FWIW - Part 1 took me 6 turns and part 2 just 4 turns for a total of 10 turns. Not the shortest but not the longest scenario I've played.

I can see why one would want to do two AAR. Best to ask Dave.
    Last edited by ShadowDragon; 05-02-2020 at 15:30.

I will give an example of how part 1 affects part 2.

Both part 1 and part 2 missions are the same day. The 2nd mission within a few hours after the airplanes return from part 1. So any pilot shot down, regardless if the butcher's bill roll indicates he's not wounded, will not get back to the squadron in time. Pilots injured are sent to the infirmary to be checkout, so they're not available for part 2. Aircraft heavily damaged (engine hit, 50% damage or more) need to be checked out for safety, so they're not available for part 2.

At the start the squadron has 6 scout pilots but just 4 scout planes. It also has 3 tandem pilots, 3 observers and 3 tandem planes.

Part 1: The squadron sends out 2 scouts and 2 tandems. One scout is shot down, the other scout returns with an engine damage. Both tandems return with 2 and 3 points of damage (less than 50%) but one pilot wounded and both observers wounded. That leaves the squadron with 5 scout pilots but just 2 scout planes (one shot down and one being checked for its engine damage), so at most the squadron can send out 2 scout planes (2 planes that didn't get sent out and any 2 of the 5 available pilots). In the case of the tandems, the wounded observers won't affect part 2 since only tandem pilots are required. One tandem pilot was wounded leaving 2. There is one undamaged tandem (it didn't get sent out in part) and 2 damaged ones (2 and 3 points), so the squadron will send out 2 tandems with pilots only - one tandem will have 2 points of damage.

The enemy lost 2 planes shot down and 1 pilot wounded. All planes in part one were heavily damaged (greater than 50%). The enemy now has just 3 pilots from its original 6 and will send out all 3 with new, undamaged airplanes.

Question: are ALL tandems sent up in part 2 required to be bombers, or if you have a third available can it be sent with both crew as an escort?

Right now, it looks like the strategy to go for is try to Pilot Kill the other team on Mission 1... if you get a PK they don't come back, right?
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Question: are ALL tandems sent up in part 2 required to be bombers, or if you have a third available can it be sent with both crew as an escort?

Right now, it looks like the strategy to go for is try to Pilot Kill the other team on Mission 1... if you get a PK they don't come back, right?
    A 3rd tandem can be used as a backup bomber or as an escort with an observer/gunner.

Mission one is a balancing act of getting photos, damaging the enemy’s air defence but not crippling your own forces. Keep in mind that the enemy will always get a minimum of 3 pilots for mission 2, so eliminating (shot down or wounded) more than 3 won’t benefit mission 2.

Thanks Paul. That's cleared that one up too and will save time. On with part two then Wish me luck -if you are an Entente supporter that is

Sorry Paul. Another question: During part two - Does each tandem carry a single bomb load, capable of destroying or partially destroying a single target? Or is a single tandem able to split its bomb load between two targets and still achieve a full or partial hit towards the victory points on offer?

Sorry Paul. Another question: During part two - Does each tandem carry a single bomb load, capable of destroying or partially destroying a single target? Or is a single tandem able to split its bomb load between two targets and still achieve a full or partial hit towards the victory points on offer?
    Just one load, Mike. I suppose you could split it but then you'd score only half damage for a full hit and a quarter damage for a partial hit, so there's really no point in that.

Good luck. By the way, I root for the players from which ever side.

Yep, please do the Tally Mike - as Paul says, if they are wounded, shotdown etc they're out of part 2 anyway but it will show the result clearly and the those who'll progress into part 2

.. Probably equivalent to two missions... and I'm tempted to write it and post it as two separate AARs if that's ok.
    It's a lot but I'd prefer it all in one AAR please. Post #1 for the first part. post #2 for the second (So make sure you allow people to save post #2 !)
    It'll keep it all together in one place if nothing else !

Does each tandem carry a single bomb load, capable of destroying or partially destroying a single target? Or is a single tandem able to split its bomb load between two targets and still achieve a full or partial hit towards the victory points on offer?
    Standard rules apply Mike - you can drop a full or part (ie half) load as you like - as there were no values given for the target or bomb loads it should be taken a full load direct hit is required to kill the target, so either a full load or two half loads over the red dot would do it. Anything else on the card is a near miss and counts as damage.

"He is wise who watches"

Please keep in mind that this was my first WoG scenario. I think it was somewhat overegged....
    It's a typical first timer's through the kitchen sink at it scenario Paul and would have made two great little stand alone scenarios in the normal scheme of things but, as Mike said, with lock down in place that's probably not a bad thing & hopefully most of us will be able to devote the time to it that it needs.
    It felt worked very well... right up until first contact !

"He is wise who watches"

I only had five available German scout pilots. I needed a sixth one for this scenario. So far his name is "unknown". I'm happy to go with using 'unknown', to make up a name or go with one that your provide, Dave.

Finished!

Ten turns over 3 days - probably 15 hrs +/-
    Approx 125 photos.
    Gonna be a while before I get this one posted ...

But I think it went remarkably well.

P.S. Dave I used the new Bulldog but did not need to add to my Adler roster.

Finished!

Ten turns over 3 days - probably 15 hrs +/-
    Approx 125 photos.
    Gonna be a while before I get this one posted ...

But I think it went remarkably well.

P.S. Dave I used the new Bulldog but did not need to add to my Adler roster.
    That's close to what I had too - 120 photos plus 10 turns for both parts.

For 'over egged' I think I should have provided a 'light' option with half the number of targets, AA weapons, aircrew and airplanes - something like 2 tandems, 2 scout planes and 3 scout pilots versus 2 potential (1 real) target, 1 AA gun, maximum of 4 enemy scouts.

Actually the 10 turns were just Part 2!

I forgot to add the 13 turns from Part 1 ...

No wonder it felt like two games.

You do mean turns and not movement phases?

I finished part 1 at 20 movement phases (just shy of 7 turns) and part 2 at 15 phases (5 turns). So actually just about 12 turns in total.

Part 1 ended after the first phase of Turn 13.

Part 2 ended after Phase 3 of Turn 10.

I only had five available German scout pilots. I needed a sixth one for this scenario. So far his name is "unknown". I'm happy to go with using 'unknown', to make up a name or go with one that your provide, Dave.
    You had six available pilots on the roster from the moment you published the BRF Paul - Fwbl Otto Marwitz was added as a replacement in anticipation of need.

"He is wise who watches"

..P.S. Dave I used the new Bulldog but did not need to add to my Adler roster.
    Roger that, well done for making do with what you had
    I haven't counted my game turns yet, probably four or five in and the same out I'd think.

"He is wise who watches"

Re your post answering my questions Uncle - all understood and wilco

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. AAR OTT DYM Mission 7 - Dit Fromage! - 19th february 1916 by Mike
    By mikeemagnus in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 10-11-2019, 17:45
  2. AAR OTT DYM Mission 7-- Dit Fromage--19th Feb 1916--gully_raker
    By gully_raker in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 09-19-2019, 10:36