Ares Games
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: WGS for Tabletop Simulator

Still working on the bombers- few more tweaks to account for different base sizes left to do.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WGSX.jpg 
Views:	335 
Size:	116.1 KB 
ID:	294856

I've been away from my coding machine for a little while, but found some time to do a little work in paint shop and knock up a vokes filter, so now have lots of Hurricanes!

Name:	WGS_Hurricanes.jpg 
Views:	322 
Size:	81.2 KB 
ID:	295120
    And of course the tropicalised Hurricanes need something to shoot down..

Name:	WGS_109s.jpg 
Views:	320 
Size:	73.6 KB 
ID:	295121
    The next release is almost ready, just a final pass over the bomb code required to check that the 'bomb' button is appearing only when legal. For now the aircraft will have an infinite supply of bombs and the 'full load' penalty is not implemented - it's up to the user to track these things should they wish. Tracking the number of bomb loads carried and implementing the full load penalty shouldn't be too hard, its just not worth putting off another release for. There is also placeholder code for rockets and even torpedoes if i can find/come up with a suitable ruleset. I'm also considering adding a settings menu to determine which advanced rules are in play but this may be some way off.

Looking good.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Ok, Just uploaded V0.13 to steam which includes all the shiny new toys and bombing code. I still need to create a few more targets to actually drop bombs on but those are a project for the next update.

In doing some research I spotted a number of issues with my Wildcat model, so after some rework I not have a range of pretty accurate cats. Still need to finish textures for the Martlet II, IV, V and VI. Then effectively all major variants will be covered.

Name:	WGS_Wildcats.jpg 
Views:	293 
Size:	82.7 KB 
ID:	296346
    Last edited by Woof; 01-14-2021 at 12:55. Reason: Image upload fixed.

WOW. I need to go track this down!!

Sorry Mark.
    I can't seem to read your attachment.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Woof View Post
    Ok, first version is up on Steam Workshop:
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil...?id=2081041122
    Plenty still to do, but I'm getting my head around the code side of things now, so hopefully more automated functionality soon.
    I would love to give it a try nd see how it all works but I can not get my Steam to even find or download it. Oh well guess it is not meant for me.

Thanks Mark, and those superb images were well worth the wait.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Am I years too late? Or is this still available, looks awesome.

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Quote Originally Posted by Hedeby View Post
    No, Mark's still working on it's upgrades.
    I haven't gotten it yet, mostly because I don't Steam yet. Sometime though...
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Is there a WW1 version by any chance?

Quote Originally Posted by Hedeby View Post
    It's currently available through the steam workshop assuming you already have Tabletop Simulator (unfortunately you have to pay for that but it comes up on half price sale quite often). I am continually adding features and aircraft, but the add-on is in a relatively stable playable state already.

Quote Originally Posted by CAPTKIRK406 View Post
    I would love to give it a try nd see how it all works but I can not get my Steam to even find or download it. Oh well guess it is not meant for me.
    The posted link still works for me. You should also be able to find it in the Tabletop Simulator workshop through the Steam client but the search functionality there can be hit and miss.

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    Is there a WW1 version by any chance?
    There is a Tabletop Simulator mod called "Wings over the trenches" which broadly replicates WW1 Wings of glory. Though that mod is no longer being developed by its author and does not include scripting for movement etc. so it is quite fiddly to play. I have considered developing a WW1 version but haven't really got the time to do both at the moment.

Nice work so far Woof. My brother and I just finished up a 2.5 hr play session on the game and had a blast. We noticed the Immelmann turn on the wildcats and the D.520 were bugged in that it would place the Immelmann card kitty-corner to the base instead of across the top. They both share the D maneuver deck so possibly something to do with the D deck. Also The Bf 109E-7 Trop is showing the maneuver deck as all the bomb cards you’ve mentioned working on.

We’re looking forward to the continued development. Keep up the good work.

Thanks for the feedback, I've tracked down the problem with the D deck. The B deck is odd as the cards appear correct when pulled from the deck. I have fixes for both issues and will be updating the mod shortly to include these and the Wildcat models.

Managed to play my first game with this and had a couple issues I wanted to bring to your attention. (YES I finally got it to download!!!). I could not load the Luftwaffe 109 E-3 or E-4. The Tropic one loaded but not the others. I also had times where the speed markers would stop working and I would have to just accept whatever speed it decided for me of in the case of one of the 109s It just stopped working completely so I had to essentially remove the plane from the game as I could not plan the second move at all.

Bomb script worked great though for the JU88! Damage markers work great and the game recognized them immediately which was great as well. Thoroughly enjoy the game and will continue to play it for sure. Now just need to get some other people here in it and play some games.

Glad you got it working. The speed selection enforces the acceleration rules so sometimes it will prevent you from changing speed. It should never lock you out entirely though so if you have more details on what combination of moves caused that I can hopefully fix it.

I had did a fast gentle right turn with my 109 and was going to follow up with a fast straight, but it would not let me select a speed at all. I kept getting the error no maneuver speed selected when I tried to SET. The speed token spot was just completely locked up. (Also, the slow speeds are showing as just a white box.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ERROR.jpg 
Views:	246 
Size:	85.3 KB 
ID:	296722)

Quote Originally Posted by CAPTKIRK406 View Post
    I had did a fast gentle right turn with my 109 and was going to follow up with a fast straight, but it would not let me select a speed at all. I kept getting the error no maneuver speed selected when I tried to SET. The speed token spot was just completely locked up. (Also, the slow speeds are showing as just a white box.
    Hmm, I cant seem to replicate these issues. I'll keep looking at the code though as I may have missed something. IF the speed lock up issue happens again please let me know under what conditions it occurred as this may help me track down what's causing it.

The white box issue is just the image failing to load; I can't see why that would be though as the code points at the right cloud link. It may not have cached properly when you first opened the game- hopefully it will self correct with the next update as this will force a recache of all assets.

As well as troubleshooting I have been working on the assets for large deck (fast) fighters, so the next update will include the Spitfire Mk.V

Name:	wgsbig.jpg 
Views:	243 
Size:	55.2 KB 
ID:	296754

The Ju88 will also get it's correct deck (XE), so it won't be zipping around quite so quickly anymore! I've also been considering if/how to implement crew management for heavies, but not sure I will open that can of worms just yet.

I'll probably wait until I finish the FW190 model I'm working on before releasing the next update though then at least you will have fast deck combatants on both sides.

This is looking really good thanks again for your effort.

Beautiful! I plan on trying to get a some games in this week with it. I will keep a better log of what's going on to help debug of necessary.

If anyone wants to hit me up on Steam my user name is the same. CaptKirk406.

Just a little something I'm tinkering with for the next update:

Name:	test.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	42.2 KB 
ID:	297065

Oh my. I think I'm hooked.
    Karl

FW190A-4's under test. The cowling checkerboard colour can be selected by the user. The model should also be good for the A-2/A-3 and A-1 with minor tweaks and paint.

Views:	212 
Size:	38.7 KB 
ID:	297180
    A few more tests to do to check the high speed decks work correctly.

Everything appears to be working with the high speed decks, so just a last few bits of polish to ad for the next update, which will include the FW190A-2 and A-4, Spit MkV, and as a bonus each variant of the Ki-43i:

Views:	196 
Size:	39.9 KB 
ID:	297535

You might not be able to spot straight away but the Ki-43i is a new 3d model which includes the longer span wings, different cowling and cockpit. The old Ki-43ii model is the one with the white bands around the hinomaru.

Name:	test2.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	42.3 KB 
ID:	297536

Playing in hotseat mode today and this occurred... It will not give me the box or allow me to SET for moves on the second player. This literally occurred during setup, also during the initial planning step I could not select speeds. I even deleted the cockpits, put the planes back in the hanger and replaced the card decks. Second try same result.

Name:	Untitled.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	81.4 KB 
ID:	297633

Hmm, I haven't tried hotseat mode. When you Setup an aircraft a bunch of visibility and interact flags are set based on the colour of the player who clicked "setup". Only that player colour can interact with the board. I have previously tested in single player mode and just changing my player colour and that worked, but there could be something bin the latest TTS update that has affected things. I will take a look.

New Update uploaded including the first large deck fighters:

Views:	173 
Size:	55.4 KB 
ID:	297790
    As always, please let me know what you think, what could be improved and if anything is really broken!

Briefly looking into the hotseat issue it seems something odd is occurring when my code tries to pull the current player's colour which is used to set the permissions for who can see and change what elements of a board (If those Wildcats were set up by player 2, their bases and control boards should be edged in green). I will add this to the list of bugs to fix. In the meantime I would suggest manually switching colours in Singleplayer (or just operate both sides when solo using single colour (you can manually tint the bases for ID if you wish)).

New Update uploaded including the first large deck fighters:

Views:	173 
Size:	55.4 KB 
ID:	297790
    As always, please let me know what you think, what could be improved and if anything is really broken!

Briefly looking into the hotseat issue it seems something odd is occurring when my code tries to pull the current player's colour which is used to set the permissions for who can see and change what elements of a board (If those Wildcats were set up by player 2, their bases and control boards should be edged in green). I will add this to the list of bugs to fix. In the meantime I would suggest manually switching colours in Singleplayer (or just operate both sides when solo using single colour (you can manually tint the bases for ID if you wish)).

That is what I have done in the past but thought of trying hotseat. Good thing I did I guess.

Haven't yet got to the bottom of the hotseat issues, however I've had a quick tinker and implemented some bonus eyecandy:

Views:	162 
Size:	69.8 KB 
ID:	297940

Simply by feeding the turn angle from the manoeuvre card to some code on the aircraft model (based on that used to set altitude) the aircraft can now bank when turning.

Name:	test2.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	109.7 KB 
ID:	297941

And the same code can be fed pitch change triggers from climb/descent and Immelman cards.

Name:	test3.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	104.3 KB 
ID:	297942

All of this in no way affects gameplay, but I think it looks rather cool so it will be in the next update whenever that is finished.

Other things I'm getting to grips with include the save/load functions in TTS so hopefully at some point you will be able to save a game part way through and come back to it in the same state. This is a real pain to test though as when it doesn't encode/decode the save correctly you either have to create additional code to remove the errors or start the session from scratch and have TTS lose the code you just tried (lots of copy-paste to notepad to minimise the chances of actually losing work).

Also planning to implement an options menu so you can select whether to enforce various advanced rules or not, the back end code for this is progressing nicely.

The banking and pitching is a very nice visual for this game.
    Karl

Users Country Flag

Name
    Florian
    Sorties Flown

Ah, finally the gimbal mounts are there. Weather real game or virtual - banking and pitching adds so much dynamic to the visual of the game.

I decided to do a "debug flight" and trace my steps to outline what manoeuvres I did to reach a "softlock" (i.e. being unable to set a manoeuvre) in the hopes that you may be able to recreate it yourself and potentially fix it.

THIS IS TO HELP DEBUG ISSUES WITH MOVEMENT
    F = Fast, S = Slow

PLANE: Spitfire Va (NOTE: This is the plane that starts set up)
    DECK: QS
    PLAYERS: 1
    PLAYER COLOUR: White

F QS-01
    F QS-02
    S QS-12
    S QS-02
    F QS-01 (NOTE: Start of Immelman)
    F QS-14 (NOTE: This set speed to 'slow' and set climb to 1/3)
    S QS-02 (NOTE: This was planned as 'fast' but was set to 'slow')
    F QS-18
    F QS-16
    F QS-12 (NOTE: Steep)
    F QS-19 (NOTE: Steep, i.e. illegal, but nothing happened to change it. This set speed to 'slow' and set climb to 2/3)
    ERROR!

Next planned manoeuvres are F QS-10 and QS-12. Could not set speed on QS-12, 'softlocking' the game. Impossible to continue.
    My personal recommendation is to reduce some of the 'autonomy' of the movement - specifically, automatically setting speeds and limiting how often you can change speeds, as this appears to be causing issues.

Hmm, the change from fast to slow after the immelman is correct but the steep turn followed by climb should have been stopped and the climb replaced with a straight.
    Thanks for the detail, I have a good idea where to start looking in the code and how to test now.
    I'd rather not remove the automation but I am currently implementing an options panel so you can choose which rules to automatically enforce. In theory in the next releaseyou should then be able to turn off the acceleration rules if the error occurs (though hopefully it won't).

So, it seems the 2 steeps issue is because "TRUE" is not "true" in LUA scripting and the steep cards aren't detected as a result. That at least is an easy fix!

So I think I've solved the problem, I'll be uploading the next version in a day or so. This will include options to play with or without altitude and acceleration rules. As they are basically ready to go, it will also include some new toys:

Views:	122 
Size:	89.8 KB 
ID:	298787

Please let me know if you manage to break it again!
    Last edited by Woof; 03-17-2021 at 15:10. Reason: broken image link

V0.16 update is now up on the Steam workshop
    I had a few issues with the damage code which took a while to resolve, but now at least if it does incorrectly detect damage chits when you first place them you can simply click on the health counter and it will recalculate the total.
    You can also toggle altitude and speed rule on and off (even mid game) and choose whether the boom chit does full or half damage.
    I also added in one of my all time favourite aircraft:

Views:	122 
Size:	49.4 KB 
ID:	299198

The new update is great!!! I'll let you know if I'm still able to break it, and I'll also send you other bugs that I encounter.

- A misspelling of the "Ju 87B-2" (spelt "Ju 87B2") prevents it from being spawned by the hangar
    - The model for the P-40E fails to load (gives the error "Failed to load Model (.obj)")

Everything seems to be good so far, but the speed was still getting stuck even with being able to turn acceleration off (luckily we could always spawn in a new plane and basically have it go from where the other one got stuck)

A few other things that should be changed:

- There should be a way to manually add/remove 'climb counters' for the purposes of replacing aircraft that get stuck
    - There should be a way to 'override' an illegal manoeuvre, because it A) may break the game in some cases or B) may be ignored anyway through ace abilities most commonly

Quote Originally Posted by RobotSpark View Post
    The new update is great!!! I'll let you know if I'm still able to break it, and I'll also send you other bugs that I encounter.
    - A misspelling of the "Ju 87B-2" (spelt "Ju 87B2") prevents it from being spawned by the hangar
    This is odd, in that according to the .json (game save file) it has the correct name, but when the game is loaded it doesn't! This may be some sort of cache issue. At least you can either copy the example one or manually pull it from the hangar as a workaround.

- The model for the P-40E fails to load (gives the error "Failed to load Model (.obj)")
    I can't replicate this issue. The model loads fine for me and I can also open the steam cloud files in blender/paint.

Everything seems to be good so far, but the speed was still getting stuck even with being able to turn acceleration off
    Any more specifics, so I can try to replicate the issue again and hopefully come up with a fix.

- There should be a way to 'override' an illegal manoeuvre, because it A) may break the game in some cases or B) may be ignored anyway through ace abilities most commonly
    I am in the process of moving the legality checking code from the player boards to a global function to improve efficiency and config control. As part of this change I could now call it earlier in the sequence (at the "FLIP" stage) then provide an extra step before the "PLACE" step with the option for the user to ignore it or replace the move with a straight per the rules. I will also add an option to the settings menu toggle rules enforcement off entirely.

- There should be a way to manually add/remove 'climb counters' for the purposes of replacing aircraft that get stuck
    The ideal solution is to fix whatever is making the aircraft get stuck! I will consider this, but if I add too many workarounds they may start becoming the source of, rather than solution to, problems!

So a new update for Tabletop Simulator just released which apparently fixes issues with scripting zones firing multiple times as well as player detection using buttons in hotseat mode. This should go someway to fixing a couple of the issues noted earlier in the thread (nice to know it wasn't bad code on my part for those issues). I've yet to validate that the update does what is promised and hasn't broken anything else though.

Just uploaded V0.17. This includes lots of improved background code and a prototype control board. The settings menu is also updated.

Unfortunately the TTS update had broken some code I'd literally just added so I've had to rework a few of the new features, and I don't yet have the confidence to remove the old elements which still seem to work.

The new control board offers many of the features RobotSpark requested, in that during setup you can now select any altitude and number of climb counters to start with. Illegal moves will result in a prompt to either ignore or enforce the relevant rule. It also tracks fuel and gives you a helpful message when you run out!

I will update the existing boards to match the prototype once I've had a bit more time to double check everything, but thought it was worth putting it out for feedback at this stage.

I don't know how I didn't notice this until now, and I just wanted to mention that I'm looking forward to whenever you get the opportunity to update this next!

I don't know how I didn't notice this until now, and I just wanted to mention that I'm looking forward to whenever you get the opportunity to update this next!
    I'm still working on a few things for the next update, but recent house move and relaxation of covid restrictions have slowed things down a fair bit.

One thing definitely on the to do list is to add code to save and restore the game state.
    I've also discovered object states, so the next update will include the ability to cycle through various paint schemes for some aircraft. I went down a bit of a rabbit hole with this for the Spitfire and now have approx 50 schemes/sub variants!

I went down a bit of a rabbit hole with this for the Spitfire and now have approx 50 schemes/sub variants!
    !!

I went down a bit of a rabbit hole with this for the Spitfire and now have approx 50 schemes/sub variants!
    Wow, that sounds great!

That does make me wonder if it'd be possible for other people to tinker with the textures and "submit" some to include in the base mod

That does make me wonder if it'd be possible for other people to tinker with the textures and "submit" some to include in the base mod
    If you wanted to have a tinker, you can access the textures easily via either the cache on your machine or by copying the link from the object properties in game. You can then just copy/paste the aircraft in game and point the texture property of the copied aircraft at your edited texture. The .obj (model) files could also be edited in this way.

For best results though I would need to find a way to share the texture masters; these are in Paint Shop Pro (.pspimage) format and include seperate layers for camo, insignia, panel lines etc.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. National Tabletop Gaming Expo
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 08-21-2019, 12:32
  2. Combat Flight Simulator 3 viewing skins
    By pbhawkin in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-25-2014, 21:47
  3. PC flight simulator - Youtube clip
    By Biggles downunder in forum Officer's Club