Ares Games

Thread: My Favorite Martian(s)

Default My Favorite Martian(s)

After working on the kit in question my brother told me that I am posting this - so here you go.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Slide1.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	86.8 KB 
ID:	286138Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Slide2.jpg 
Size:	89.1 KB 
ID:	286139Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Slide3.jpg 
Size:	70.4 KB 
ID:	286140Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Slide4.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	102.9 KB 
ID:	286141Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Slide5.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	114.0 KB 
ID:	286142Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Slide6.jpg 
Size:	91.0 KB 
ID:	286143Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Slide7.jpg 
Size:	108.2 KB 
ID:	286144Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Slide8.jpg 
Size:	93.3 KB 
ID:	286145Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Slide9.jpg 
Size:	65.9 KB 
ID:	286146Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Slide10.jpg 
Size:	76.7 KB 
ID:	286147Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Slide11.jpg 
Size:	86.0 KB 
ID:	286148Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Slide12.jpg 
Size:	69.9 KB 
ID:	286149Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Slide13.jpg 
Size:	96.9 KB 
ID:	286150Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Slide14.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	51.3 KB 
ID:	286151Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Slide15.jpg 
Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	286152Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1884.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	118.7 KB 
ID:	286204
    The Martians are now complete and ready to Invade.
    Last edited by Willi; 04-25-2020 at 08:50. Reason: Extra Picture

That is really awesome! Makes me want to watch the 1950's movie tonight.

Out of this World awesome! I admit I have been ignoring my favorite Martians! Super Coolio!

Very nicely done, The 1953 move is one of my favorites.

Excellent build!

That Martian model is one of the only two things that might draw me into TnT (I hate the horrible 'Ares' Martian models)
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Thanks for sharing your build steps. I always find it most interesting to see the ideas and techniques used by you super creative types!

Quote Originally Posted by Von Scharf View Post
    Thanks for sharing your build steps. I always find it most interesting to see the ideas and techniques used by you super creative types!
    Thanks Jeff, I appreciate that and thanks for firing your Rep gun

so, yeah, I watched the movie again last night. trolled the net to find the kit you used, got caught by Mrs. Clipper when I found the kit is available at the local hobby shop which is closed at the moment and at which I have a gift certificate at . . . now I have to wait she says . . . what is the measurement of the wing span on these guys? I see they are 1/144" scale, but they look rather large . . . did a survey through the original book highlighting all the flying machine references . . . might need a 1900 version for now, que the time elves!

Great explanation on how and what you did to build that.

awesome! i can hear the heat ray in my head just looking at these pics.

Great modelling, William!

If I remember the movie accurately, those arms mounting the heat ray projectors could swivel. Have you tried giving them a normal arc of fire in a game rather than the more restrictive system Ares uses?

Quote Originally Posted by clipper1801 View Post
    so, yeah, I watched the movie again last night. trolled the net to find the kit you used, got caught by Mrs. Clipper when I found the kit is available at the local hobby shop which is closed at the moment and at which I have a gift certificate at . . . now I have to wait she says . . . what is the measurement of the wing span on these guys? I see they are 1/144" scale, but they look rather large . . . did a survey through the original book highlighting all the flying machine references . . . might need a 1900 version for now, que the time elves!
    The specific answer is 90mm lense tip to lense tip. Front to back is 77mm. I did edit the post with an additional photo of the two Machines with the Locust for comparison. Thanks David!

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    Excellent build!

That Martian model is one of the only two things that might draw me into TnT (I hate the horrible 'Ares' Martian models)
    Tim, my friend, I thought long and hard about the purchase of the TnT during the pre-order stage. I too was not crazy about the models, then I found the Kit on the Monsters in Motion website and thought to myself if I can adapt these into the game... I also found 144 scale machines from the 2005 movie, but thought that they were prohibitively expensive (for me). So glad you like the effort. I have to admit they turned out well and it was a very enjoyable exercise!

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    Great modelling, William!

If I remember the movie accurately, those arms mounting the heat ray projectors could swivel. Have you tried giving them a normal arc of fire in a game rather than the more restrictive system Ares uses?
    First of all, thank you for the Rep, and yes the articulated heat ray arm does rotate. I have not thought to far ahead yet on adapting the models for use in the game other than the building of the bases, but your suggestion is great!

Quote Originally Posted by milcoll73 View Post
    awesome! i can hear the heat ray in my head just looking at these pics.
    I know, me too. I had to go to youtube and listen to some clips. You may know this but the sound of the heat ray was a written orchestra score for violins and cellos and became the standard "ray-gun" sound on many children's shows and shows like "The Outer Limits"!

Quote Originally Posted by BobP View Post
    Great explanation on how and what you did to build that.
    Thank you Bob. The explanation is so that I don't forget what I did as much as it is for tips.

Honestly, I think the flying version like you have adapted here would be very enjoyable to take some planes against. Maybe some P-51 mustangs or something a bit more robust. I think the flying machines would probably trash biplanes.

Love love your Pal martians, great work!

Another design that would be a blast to build are the martian war machines drawn by Henrique Alvim Corręa in 1906, probably the closest thing to canon designs out there.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	correa_wotw1.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	122.0 KB 
ID:	286434Click image for larger version. 

Name:	correa_wotw2.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	125.0 KB 
ID:	286435Click image for larger version. 

Name:	correa_wotw3.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	102.6 KB 
ID:	286436

Quote Originally Posted by Willi View Post
    I know, me too. I had to go to youtube and listen to some clips. You may know this but the sound of the heat ray was a written orchestra score for violins and cellos and became the standard "ray-gun" sound on many children's shows and shows like "The Outer Limits"!

i did not know it was an orchestral score. i do recall hearing in quite a few other shows. much like star treks starship background noise has been emulate and copied ever since.

Similar Missions

1. Martian Transgressions
    By ShadowDragon in forum T&T: General Discussions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-08-2019, 19:46
  2. the Great Martian War
    By BobP in forum T&T: General Discussions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-03-2019, 07:57
  3. Martian Musings
    By Baxter in forum T&T: General Discussions
    Replies: 28