Ares Games

Thread: D-1: First Offensive Air Operations - Sneak attack Blyth Harbour

Default D-1: First Offensive Air Operations - Sneak attack Blyth Harbour

Sneak Attack on Blyth Harbour: May 1940

Flying Officer ‘Tug’ Carrington hated his posting and longed to get back to 666 Sqn. He was temporarily attached to RAF Acklington in the north east of England. A. it was cold and B he couldn’t speak the local lingo, Geordie, or something like that.

He had heard that 2 older Royal Naval ships were at anchor in the River Blyth, near a place called Battleship Wharf. His brother was a submariner stationed at the submarine base in Blyth.

‘Tug’ was flying a coastal patrol and thought he’d head over Blyth way when he spotted 2 twin engine bombers heading from inland towards Blyth. Funny, he thought, there were no Blenheim squadrons posted around Newcastle. He flew over for a closer look and he spotted the crosses on the wings. Sneaky buggers had flown inland then headed back towards Blyth.

He throttled forward and headed for the nearer of the two, now identified as JU88’s and not Blenheims.

Mistiming his approaching dive, he just managed to dodge the turning 88 and fly over the top. Damn that was close. He decided to bank round and head for the 2nd 88 which was lining up for a bombing run on the larger of the two anchored RN vessels.

The 1st 88 turned onto his tail and shots were exchanged from his Hurricane to the lead 88 and from the tailing 88 into his Hurricane.

He saw the black bombs detach from under the 88 as it turned right, he followed slamming more bullets into the 88. The trailing 88 hit him again.

As the 88 in front banked he edged closer and slammed bullets into the airframe from blank range. The 88 turned left and down towards the sea.

His Hurricane had taken a beating and he was sure he could feel blood trickling down his arm. Must have been hit, now for number 2!

The 2nd 88 lined up and dropped it’s bomb load which straddled the front deck and starboard side of the old cruiser, before banking left and heading out to open sea.

‘Tug’ couldn’t close the distance and decided to land back at Acklington. Approach was good and his wheels touched down, he taxied over and parked up. His mechanic saw he was wounded and said he should report to the MO and get it seen to.

‘Tug’ reported in his kill and the 88 attack on Blyth Harbour before heading over to the MO. The MO gave him a sick chit for 2 weeks. Lucky ‘Tug’.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20200422_165714.jpg   IMG_20200422_170144.jpg   IMG_20200422_170745.jpg   IMG_20200422_171807.jpg   IMG_20200422_173510.jpg  

IMG_20200422_173808.jpg   IMG_20200422_173931.jpg  
    Last edited by Lt. S.Kafloc; 04-22-2020 at 10:38.
    See you on the Dark Side......

Butchers Bill:

HMS Northumberland Heavy Cruiser badly damaged. Out of action for 2 months.
    HMS Cornwallis WW1 Class Cruiser moderate damage. Out of action for 2 weeks.

JU88 No 1: SD/SEA/KIA
    JU88 No 2: RTB

‘Tug’ Carrington: RTB/WIA/1 Kill.
    Landing roll 10 +2 (Standard) -1 (Wound) -1 (Rudder) -3 (75-99% damage) = 7 despite the rigours of combat you land the aircraft safely.

Summary:

1. Moved the action further south.
    2. JU88 flew a long way......all the way from Malta!
    3. 'Tug' rolled a 6 and came on on turn 1.
    4. The damage to the ships is arbitrary as it plays no part in points or win/loose.
    5. I don't have the new JU88's so I used what I have, deck and damage control cards etc.
    6. Used the crash table for wounds by rolling a D6 and taking that number away from 12 then looking at chart to see what the wound meant to the pilot (Tug).
    7. Also flew the JU88's on slow to compensate for bomb load and distance flown to hit Blyth and return to base.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20200422_173950.jpg   IMG_20200422_174019.jpg  
    Last edited by Lt. S.Kafloc; 04-22-2020 at 10:45.

Nice one, Neil.

Wish I had some 3D ships ( might have to have a more thorough search for my 35 year old Axis and Allies game ....)

I decided to skip this one for the campaign - will try it later as written to give my Gladiators a turn on the table.
    [REP ammunition on backorder]

Well Neil, your 88s flew a long way to get here. Those crafty Huns will do just about anything to try to sneak in. They did some serious damage but at least one of them and it's crew will bother you no more.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Marek
    Sorties Flown

Very nice rep Neil. Love these ships ! Ju-88 look nice as well.

North East Coast is well within twin engine range.

An ME110 hit Longhirst Station, very close to RAF Acklington during the Bob.

In Red Row Church Yard are at least 6 to 8 German graves. All well looked after. 1 set I think is from the same crew. All are very young.

Similar Missions

1. AAR Scenario D-1: First Offensive Air Operations
    By Dan-Sam in forum Fire in the Skies
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-31-2020, 05:46
  2. 75th Anniversary of the attack on Pearl Harbour
    By Naharaht in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 12-07-2016, 15:07
  3. AAR Axis Pre Scenario - First Offensive Air Operations (Marechallannes)
    By Marechallannes in forum Fire in the Skies
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-18-2014, 05:39
  4. Sneak attack at Trondheim
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum WGS: After Action Reports
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-14-2014, 15:52
  5. Attack on Taranto Harbour
    By Naharaht in forum WGS: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-13-2013, 01:36