Ares Games

Thread: B-24D cards or gaming specs

Default B-24D cards or gaming specs

I have located control cards in the Aerodrome files for the B-24J, but was was wondering if anybody had designed any cards for the B-24D. I realize the B24D went through many modifications, and so I would appreciate any useful gaming information for any of the D model variations. What would the front firing arcs be for either the single nose gun, or when the additional 2 separate .30 or .50 caliber Brownings were added? What would the difference be in short range and long range damage inflicted? Were there different waist guns? I also realize that the initial ventral gun options were basically ineffective, until the retractable Sperry turret was installed. Is anybody up to the task of creating either a card, or developing the appropriate gaming stats to represent the D at any point of its development?

Quote Originally Posted by abovetheclouds View Post
    ... Is anybody up to the task of creating either a card, or developing the appropriate gaming stats to represent the D at any point of its development?
    You don't have to look far Paul - Dave is working on one now.
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...455#post527455

Sapiens qui vigilat "He is wise who watches"

Thanks Dave. That thread was excellent. Looking forward to some new B-17 cards. Now I'm hoping to bring some of that group support to create some B-24D Liberator cards.

Well, with the B-24J as a starting point, what changes are needed to get a B-24D?

Do we have crew and guns?
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Mike

I don’t have all of the excellent research materials that some of the folks here have, but it appears that the D’s armaments evolved over time. They all had the waist guns and top & tail turrets. Some had Bendix belly turrets, some had a single tunnel type ventral 50 cal, and the latest had the Sperry ball turrets in the belly mount. Later models also added cheek guns. I guess it depends which sub version you want to choose.

I would go with the factory standard D model and let us modify as needed, but hey I'm the crazy guy. Thanks in advance Mike!

I have a few AIM B-24D’s to paint. These versions show no belly turret. They were retractable on the B24. I’ll be happy to share my cards with you when done. They’ll most likely be the photo versions I am experimenting with now. These don’t appear to be very popular with the folks here as the debut received no comments at all. They are a huge timesaver, and look great when printed. For me, the objective is to make attractive game components that facilitate game play as efficiently as possible.

I will be happy with any version, but I'm leaning towards Clipper's idea to start with the basic version with the ineffective ventral guns, and .30 cal nose guns. Or maybe a basic version, and a later version with the Sperry turret, and .50 cal's up front, if that's not too much to ask.

Sure. Keep an eye out on the Painting Showcase. I’m sticking to early war stuff right now, I’ll probably do the cards with the Tunnel ventral position amd the forward firing 30ncal.

Thanks for pointing me to the painting showcase. I found your excellent looking B-17 card, and I also downloaded your Ki-27 and Ki-43 cards from your album. Great work! And I'll keep my eye on the painting showcase from now on too.

You’re most welcome! Soon, I’ll be doing cards for Lockheed Hudson’s, an H8K Emily, H75 Hawks in Dutch trim, P40E’s as 17th PS, and some A5Ms. I just need to finish up painting my OD B17D and I’ll be going into card making mode. That natural metal B17D was an experiment to see if anyone had any ideas for improvements before I do a bunch of cards using the same method. The next card will be the Olive Drab B17-D, so you should see that in a day or two on the painting showcase.

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    Well, with the B-24J as a starting point, what changes are needed to get a B-24D?

Do we have crew and guns?
    Stats and gun arcs are in the unofficial files.
    Here's a bailout info poster that should help:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B-24-Cutaway-BailOut small.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	106.8 KB 
ID:	285737
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Great picture. That shows everything needed for the D model for sure!

Dave, I'm looking forward to the H8K Emily cards. I don't own one yet, but I do have an H6K Mavis on order. I'll probably use Mavis to stand in for Emily until I can find some H6K cards.

I looked all over for a 1/200 scale H6K. Did you find one?

Quote Originally Posted by Dak21 View Post
    I looked all over for a 1/200 scale H6K. Did you find one?
    Nope. I finally decided to use 1/144 scale pre-painted models alongside my WoG 1/200 planes.

Dave, I'm looking forward to the H8K Emily cards. I don't own one yet, but I do have an H6K Mavis on order. I'll probably use Mavis to stand in for Emily until I can find some H6K cards.
    Mavis and Emily? Check here:

https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...highlight=pour

. . . the elves might still have the molds . . .

Quote Originally Posted by clipper1801 View Post
    Mavis and Emily? Check here:

. . . the elves might still have the molds . . .
    Excellent work as usual, David. If enough fellow peeps are interested to make it worth your while, you can add me to the list of "I want one" of either or both of them.

I’d like a Mavis or two if you choose to make some! I need them for the early Pacific campaign I working on.

Thanks!

Ooohhh! I found these:

Version drawings:

Name:	B24_Versions_v01[1].jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	117.3 KB 
ID:	285888

And this awesome line drawing of a B-24D:

Name:	B-24D_Lines1.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	42.0 KB 
ID:	285887
    With guns poking out.

PS: Any single .30 or .50 cal MG would be A/A. Dual .50 cal MGs would be B/A. So the turrets would be B/A, and the nose and waist arcs would be A/A
    Mike

Nice indeed and the top view is not split! Double word score!

Quote Originally Posted by Dak21 View Post
    I’d like a Mavis or two if you choose to make some! I need them for the early Pacific campaign I working on.

Thanks!
    Count me in for a pair if you make a new batch.

More great information Mike. I may have to move my yet to be painted B24-D’s up a couple places in the painting queue. Thanks for posting!

Hmmm... I've already done the B-24D.

Not an American version, though.

RAF Consolidated B24 Liberator Mk VI

Regia Aeronautica - Consolidated B24D Liberator

Now I have a template for the American version of this plane, if anyone wanted to paint one up:

Name:	B-24D_Work.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	35.5 KB 
ID:	285959

I could even do one of these, too:

Name:	B-24D_Assebly_3_75_a1.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	41.0 KB 
ID:	285960
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 04-22-2020 at 13:12.
    Mike

The 'Green Dragon', is that an assembly plane? I've painted (about 90% anyway) a similar looking one.

Definitely an Assembly Plane:

Name:	B-24D_Assembly_3_75.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	45.2 KB 
ID:	285961
    Mike

I got sidetracked from the B-24D card while I received and built my Mavis (my Emily stand-in until I can locate a card for Mavis). Has anybody made any further progress on a factory standard B-24D card?

Cheek guns were introduced on Block D-15-CO. First Sperry balls were Block D-140-CO. Many 5th AF D's had tail turrets grafted onto their noses, which Oklahoma City built out a "droop snoot" beneath to have room for the bombardier. Kinzey calls the tunnel gun "ineffective and very awkward to aim and fire" and the Bendix remote belly turret "also ineffective, and gunners became nauseous trying to aim through the remote sight." Some D's were also fitted with twin-mount waist .50 positions in the field, you really need to research the theater, unit and even individual aircraft to be sure.

Source: Bert Kinzey, B-24 Liberator in Detail & Scale.

Note: Block numbers are specific to each line--a D-15-CO (Consolidated, San Diego) is not the same as a D-15-CF (Consolidated, Ft. Worth), D-15-DT (Douglas, Tulsa), D-15-NT (NAA, Dallas) or D-15-FO (Ford, Willow Run).

D nose is VERY cramped, right cheek and nose cannot be operated at same time, nor can either be operated on the bomb run, but I'd allow the bombardier to switch between nose and R-cheek free without a turn's transition.
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

How about this:

Name:	WGS-B24D-320BS90BG-Card.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	102.4 KB 
ID:	287448

Edit: Ventral Arc and damage to reflect the 'Gun Tunnel', not a turret.

PS: OK. I have looked online, and despite the version drawing above (Post #22), the B-24D "Moby D!ck" images I have found don't have a ventral turret. So, perhaps that arc should be removed?
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 05-11-2020 at 14:08.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    How about this:

Attachment 287362

PS: OK. I have looked online, and despite the version drawing above (Post #22), the B-24D "Moby D!ck" images I have found don't have a ventral turret. So, perhaps that arc should be removed?
    Moby D would have a single .50 tunnel-gun. Assuming B=2x.50, 4 and 7 are B/A, all others A/A.

287 D's had the Bendix, which was the same as on an early B-17E; until D-140-CO and contemporary on the other lines introduced the Sperry ball all others rocked the "hell hole."

Worthwhile reads:
    http://www.joebaugher.com/usaf_bombers/b24_8.html
    http://www.joebaugher.com/usaf_bombers/b24_9.html
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.

Excellent card Mike, but I do agree with you about removing the ventral arc. I like the idea of the "ineffective" tunnel gun, and I'll come up with a way to decrease the chances of anything being hit with it.

Excellent card Mike, but I do agree with you about removing the ventral arc. I like the idea of the "ineffective" tunnel gun, and I'll come up with a way to decrease the chances of anything being hit with it.
    Make it easy, something like "any damage from this gun above 2 value or Special Damage does not count and is returned to the bag." It can harass but not seriously hurt, even though the weapon itself is another Ma Deuce.

Armaments in Miniature have a 1/200 Emily model but the Mavis is still 'To Be Released'. http://www.angelfire.com/nj4/armamen.../resin09mm.htm

Liberator models might prove popular in the area around where I live because during WW2 there were several Liberator bomber bases in the vicinity. The 'Assembly Planes' were colourful but they did not do any fighting. They were tired old machines used to help the other bombers get into formation and then they returned to base. In The Forum building in Norwich there is the 2nd Air Division Memorial Library, which has many models of 'Assembly Planes'.

Card in Post #32 editted to reflect the Gun Tunnel mounting, not a turret. This can be ignored or modified in game, by player preference.

Management Card:

Name:	WGS-B24D-320BS90BG-MgmtCard.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	114.3 KB 
ID:	287452
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 05-11-2020 at 15:26.
    Mike

Perfect!! That's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks again!

Thanks Mike. This is the perfect card for my 'Moby D ick" from the bomber painting competition a few years back.

.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Moby****.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	61.1 KB 
ID:	287465

Forgive me for asking a silly question, but can someone walk me through how to order a custom base for this plane card that was made by entering all the of the arcs and positions?

https://wingsofwar.org/CustomFlightStands

Similar Missions

1. WGF WTS ace & skill cards promo and ace career cards promo OR WTB kickstarter ace cards
    By gr3yh47 in forum Sale/Trade/Wanted Classifieds
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-15-2017, 07:20
  2. gaming mat
    By Big chris in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 02-29-2016, 05:12
  3. Douglas A-20 Specs for WoG
    By csadn in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-16-2013, 12:24
  4. Replies: 2