Ares Games

Thread: B-24 Liberators

Default B-24 Liberators

I awoke early this morning with a strange ache in my hands. Upon descending into the dining room I discovered the cause . . .

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200417_220832.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	110.4 KB 
ID:	285668

Apparently my box of bombers I have been collecting for a few years got found by the elves . . .

Name:	20200417_220840.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	112.4 KB 
ID:	285669

Once opened, they were victims of a massive deconstruction project . . .

Name:	20200417_223136.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	84.2 KB 
ID:	285670

Split open like clams . . .

Name:	20200417_220849.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	87.4 KB 
ID:	285671

Sorted, re-proped, re-glazed . . .

Name:	20200417_223939.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	125.6 KB 
ID:	285672

Then evaluated for new cockpit and nose glazing . . .

Name:	20200418_082409.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	104.3 KB 
ID:	285673

Off to sleep off the madness of the night . . .

Name:	20200418_082421.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	100.2 KB 
ID:	285674

WHAT WAS I THINKING! Now I know why my hands and fingers hurt . . .

Wow! Are you going to try to do one of those thousand bomber raids?

I still have a few of these to work on. I'll be glued to this thread to see what you you and the elves come out with!

Wow. I've worked on a few of those Maisto Liberators. You did a great job taking them apart and putting them back together. These have much better factory paint jobs than the ones I collected.

David, I love your B-24 Madness thread with your B-24 air force of many colors. Wow!

David, your photos remind me the final battle scene from SW: Episode IX. Countless number of flying...things

that's a lorra lorra liberators

So after the LAST B-24 party, here is what I have learned:

1. Don't bother drilling the rivets.

2. Start with new birds. All this last batch came from grocery store and variety store toy sections. $4 ea.

3. Cut off landing gear flush. Prop blades too.

4. Buy this glue, Ace Hardware etc. It is thick like honey, gap fills like putty, you can put it on heavy fills the gaps around all the windows and turrets, put on in layers where needed. And did I mention it dries fast and CLEAR! A few layers and you can get the existing canopy to look good!

Name:	20200418_102953.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	78.0 KB 
ID:	285730

Name:	20200418_103020.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	81.3 KB 
ID:	285732

5. Epoxy a magnet or your fave mounting peg into the slot on the bottom of the fuselage.

6. Fill in the rivet holes with vinyl drywall filler and touch up the paint with a silver paint marker.

7. Paint and decal to your heart's content.

8. Do not repeat 36 times . . .

Name:	20200419_083839.jpg 
Size:	109.8 KB 
ID:	285733

Name:	20200419_083821.jpg 
Size:	114.0 KB 
ID:	285734

Yes they all fit into the Box!

Name:	20200419_084428.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	96.3 KB 
ID:	285735

Name:	20200419_084413.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	85.5 KB 
ID:	285736
    Last edited by clipper1801; 04-19-2020 at 08:51.

Did you buy them by the case ? I knew you had some but not that many. Great job

I started buying them every time I saw one at the local grocery store 2 years ago. The big help was getting my son in law and my grandson to shop for me in Idaho. They have the same store chain there, and since they are side by side with the Hot Wheels cars, which they maniacally collect, I got a number of them from them. Nothing like a shared addiction . . . now we are done!

I've never seen one of these in a store. The ones I have all come from ebay. I never thought to look in a grocery store so I'll give that a go.

All mine came from Kroeger line stores, Fry's, Fred Meyer et al. I will keep my eyes open, buying them once a month is a hard habit to break : )

I've never seen them here out east but I'll look next time at the grocery. Ours tend not to have toys other than seasonal items.

So, a couple questions.

How much do those cost at the grocery store?

What are you going to do with so many? An actual simulation of a bomber group hitting Ploiesti?

I can just guess David's reason, but...
    ...my recommendation is: Do not forget include paper rules into the box with your minis that will wait in you cellar for next generations of boys with shiny eyes when they'll find it

Sometimes just an image in your mind is enough

Quote Originally Posted by Dak21 View Post
    So, a couple questions.

How much do those cost at the grocery store?

What are you going to do with so many? An actual simulation of a bomber group hitting Ploiesti?
    Cost is around $3.99 each. What will I do? thinking Ploiesti - gotta make a 3d map of it. Gotta figure out a base system that allows you to move up to 4 at a time, and allows you to spit off individuals for combat reasons . . . . there are a few Ploiesti sites out there as the other targets of that mission, much to ponder as we await our world to once again begin turning . . .

David, that is an amazing project you took on! Congrats on the wonderful looking planes!

Quote Originally Posted by clipper1801 View Post
    Cost is around $3.99 each. What will I do? thinking Ploiesti - gotta make a 3d map of it. Gotta figure out a base system that allows you to move up to 4 at a time, and allows you to spit off individuals for combat reasons . . . . there are a few Ploiesti sites out there as the other targets of that mission, much to ponder as we await our world to once again begin turning . . .
    I made a base for 3 including firing arcs. The template is 'HERE' in the files. There is also a crew management template 'HERE' if this helps.
    Last edited by Teaticket; 04-19-2020 at 17:17.

Excellent, I thought you had posted a carrier and individual base design but couldn't find it. Your management link drops me off in a weird planet . . . : )

Quote Originally Posted by clipper1801 View Post
    Excellent, I thought you had posted a carrier and individual base design but couldn't find it. Your management link drops me off in a weird planet . . . : )
    Hmmmm, don't know what happened there except that I didn't check out the link after I posted. Must remember always to check!

Try HERE.

I think I fixed it above too.

. . . very good, thanks a LOT! I will try it on 6 x 3 = 18!!! yes, love the math too!

Peter, wasn't there a thread on your game? My memory is not what it ever was . . .

Yeah, somewhere... I think I used the templates at Council of Five Nations. 2018 or '17? I'll try to find it.

Ok, 2017. Ah! Dragons!

'HERE' about 2/3 of the thread down. Not a lot of good photos showing the base but there are a couple.

Clipper, don't know if you've seen this, but just in case (and for all who haven't!) here's a chart of B-24 tail markings by squadron.
    https://web.archive.org/web/20031202...m/tails-24.asp
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

Coolio . . . Meanwhile awaiting strategic materials . . .

Diamondback, nice link. That is a pretty nice reference.

Quote Originally Posted by camelbeagle View Post
    Diamondback, nice link. That is a pretty nice reference.
    Was a pretty nice site while it lasted, too.
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Was a pretty nice site while it lasted, too.
    One reason I'm a serial downloader; sites almost never last forever.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 21
    Last Post: 01-25-2021, 19:46