Ares Games

Thread: Easter flight 2020 - Do.17-Z vs. Lancaster MK.III

Default Easter flight 2020 - Do.17-Z vs. Lancaster MK.III

Played a little game with my new Do.17-Z vs. an AI controlled Lancaster MK.III bomber.

Bombers mission was to cross two playing mats without being shot down. I set the Lancaster on slow speed for the full load.

First exchange of fire was promising for the bomber, scoring two hits with the front and upper turrets. The Dornier missed.

...but with the 3rd shooting, the Do. scored a fatal crew hit, wich killed the gunner of the front and upper turret and wounded the pilot

The rear gunned did his best to get rid of the nightfighter, but with the next salvo crew and bomber were ripped in pieces

ABSCHUSS!

The result:

Finally I had luck with the AI moving of the bomber - it stayed right in front of me when I turned around and was able to give continuous fire.

Planing is tricky for the Do.17-Z without an Immelmann, so head on attack would limit your shooting to 1 or 2 front gun salvos only.

Wasn't in position to use the "Schräge Musik", but this is an advantage when overlapping with the bombers base. (the Do-17 special pack include a special plane card for Schräge Musik)

The mixture of B & C damage deck prooved it deadliness when I drew two crew hits in a row.

Next game will be with an additional Beaufighter for the British and an old school Bf.110, but definitely with an human opponent.
    Voilà le soleil d'Austerlitz!

Very satisfying result for Andrzej
    I guess, Lancasters are weak, agains such interceptor. Maybe a pair?

Mk. III Lancaster’s have 42 hitpoints.

8 hits during that quick game is not that bad.

I think a human pilot can get a better result with this plane.

Is it a challange for Prague? I'm raising hand as a volunteer

Did the Brits use three-plane Bomber Boxes like the 8th AF? A mutually supporting formation might make more of a challenge...
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

Lancasters flying at night kept far enough apart to avoid any possibility of collisions - this also prevented overlapping support fire.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

What you need is a 100 Group Mosquito nightfighter

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Did the Brits use three-plane Bomber Boxes like the 8th AF? A mutually supporting formation might make more of a challenge...
    I think, when they flew during the day, they still used Vs of 3 and 5. Late war, when they resumed daylight raids (usually closer to the coast, and Allied lines in Europe), they kept using the bomber stream method.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Nice little fight Sven.

If I had my Lancasters with me I'd love to try this with night rules.

Great AAR. We do not often see battles of this sort in AAR's. Thanks for posting.

Thank you gentlemen.

The Lancaster has interesting firing arcs and two kind of curves to each side.

I like the sideslip maneuver that is still usable with low speed. Extreme helpful to make an exact aproach with the full load rule.

That is the thing that confuse me on Stukas - sideslips for correction of direction is only for high speed.
    On the other hand precise regulation of speed of Lancasfers makes sense - ideal candidate for Dumbuster mission that requires the precise combination of speed, position and altitude.

Indeed - the missing slow sideslip for the Stuka is weird.

boy, that dornier sure served a lot of donuts before knocking the lanc down lol.

Nice to see a new toy used with elan - well done Sven!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Quote Originally Posted by Marechallannes View Post
    Indeed - the missing slow sideslip for the Stuka is weird.
    The lack of a 30 degree turn is much worst. I can't think of any good reason to omit it, except to keep the card count down due to the dive bombing cards
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Similar Missions

1. Partizan 2020 17 May 2020
    By Boney10 in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 07-25-2020, 08:01
  2. The Wright Flight Feb. 20, 2020 Meeting AAR
    By camelbeagle in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-24-2020, 02:13
  3. Lancaster flight today.
    By Warhawk in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 19