Ares Games

Thread: New pilot's questions about bombing and smoking

Default New pilot's questions about bombing and smoking

Hi All,

I am new to this cool game. I need a few clarifications.

1)
    What is the difference between bomb cards with one bomb and cards with three bombs?
    Has this anything to do with different rules when bombing with different airplane types?

2)
    Just wondering about the smoke rule. In reality, what kind of hit could cause smoke without any permanent damage?

3)
    The fire rule gives to the airplane (and the pilot) a chance to extinguish the fire and to keep on fighting, albeit with possible damages.
    I wonder how realistic this rule is. I understand that this makes sense for multi-engine bombers, but what about fighters? Wouldn't a pilot just bail out as soon as he sees fire?

Thanks & Greetings from locked-down Corona-Switzerland

Fabrizio

Users Country Flag

Name
    Marek
    Sorties Flown

Welcome Fabrizio

Ad 1) Bomb cards
    As per rules (namely WW I) it is simplified that you have a bomb load of 3 pcs and decide whether dropping all at once or one bomb.

Ad 2) Smoke
    I guess in reality, there should be something wrong with engine, or can just trail fuel from leaking tank, which may also appear like white smoke.

Ad 3) Fire
    In reality after failed extinguishing attempt bailing out would follow. But as the game originated with WW I, there were no parachutes at the beginning, and gamewise it would be to tough game end, so probably the mechanics of fire has been introduced as it is.

There isn't any real difference in the bomb cards. It represents whatever you want. You can think of it as one bomb as a partial load for a large bomber, with the three bomb card representing a full load. Most fighter/bombers could only carry one large bomb, but could carry a few small bombs. It is up you you to decide how you wish to indicate, within your game, what you want the cards to mean.

There is some 'game' design in the smoke and fire rules. Usually, IMHO, if a plane was smoking or on fire, it was done.

Any time I've read about white smoke, it was about a glycol (engine coolant) hit. And the pilot knew he was in serious trouble. It would sometimes smoke for a bit, but when it stopped, the engine would overheat and either seize or explode. Not good.

Fire in a hurricane was usually a bail-out situation, if they had time. But, in a game, for playability, it was decided that fire would be dangerous, but not necessarily fatal.

House rules can be used, for anything in this game, if you don't like the current 'official' rules.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Similar Missions

1. Questions About Dive Bombing
    By zippyfusenet in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-05-2022, 12:34
  2. Bombing Ghost Pilot (Revision C)
    By HTRAINo in forum WGF: Rules Help
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 02-07-2017, 18:32
  3. Bombing Ghost Pilot (Revision B)
    By HTRAINo in forum WGF: Rules Help
    Replies: 4