Ares Games
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rat Tat Tat Tat Tat Tat Tat

Default Rat Tat Tat Tat Tat Tat Tat

what would you do in this situation?
    Attached Images  

Kill the one in front, break hard right & try to get the one behind !

Sapiens qui vigilat "He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Kill the one in front, break hard right & try to get the one behind !
    good call for the German!

For the Se5a, chop the thottle, and then pull up the right while he overshoots, then put full thottle behind him.

I would call in the F-22 Raptor jets and let them handle it.

Quote Originally Posted by Future Pilot View Post
    For the Se5a, chop the thottle, and then pull up the right while he overshoots, then put full thottle behind him.
    so basically put on the air breaks. Then throttle up and gun!

Quote Originally Posted by camelbeagle View Post
    I would call in the F-22 Raptor jets and let them handle it.
    I don’t think they had the coms to order in an air strike from a F-22 Raptor back then but it would be cool to see the look on all 3 pilots faces as that beast blast past them with American symbols on it!

LOL!
    stall speed of the Raptor is 130 knots. So that’s just at the top speed of all three of the WWI fighters

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. View Post
    I don’t think they had the coms to order in an air strike from a F-22 Raptor back then
    What about the pilots firing flares to signal one another?

Including the F-22 of course.

I don’t think they had the coms to order in an air strike from a F-22 Raptor back then but it would be cool to see the look on all 3 pilots faces as that beast blast past them with American symbols on it!
    You know the saying...

When the British shoot, the Germans duck.
    When the Germans shoot, the British duck.
    When the Americans shoot, EVERYBODY ducks!
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

Quote Originally Posted by Future Pilot View Post
    Including the F-22 of course.
    Good thinking, as the Raptor fly’s by it dumps a round of flares just for effect! Lol at Mach 1.5 roflmbo

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    You know the saying...

When the British shoot, the Germans duck.
    When the Germans shoot, the British duck.
    When the Americans shoot, EVERYBODY ducks!
    Absolutely DiamondBack!

Would they recognize modern day U.S. markings? A Fokker Triplane could probably out-turn a missile, if the pilot knew what it was. Would it be economic to use a missile anyway?

Back to the original question; the front S.E.5a should dive, outrun the Fokker and then turn back, the Fokker could try to use tight turns to starboard to get behind the rear S.E.5a, which could try a wide sideslip to starboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    Would they recognize modern day U.S. markings? A Fokker Triplane could probably out-turn a missile, if the pilot knew what it was. Would it be economic to use a missile anyway?

Back to the original question; the front S.E.5a should dive, outrun the Fokker and then turn back, the Fokker could try to use tight turns to starboard to get behind the rear S.E.5a, which could try a wide sideslip to starboard.
    Not even sure a Sidewinder would lock on, and you can forget enough radar return for an AMRAAM. OTOH, my college mentor found himself on the wrong side of a 1960s-model AIM-9 that had locked onto his body heat while working on a plane on the ground... they had all kinds of fun disarming the damn thing and getting it safely unmounted from the rail.
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.

Absolutely DiamondBack!
    "War is Chaos, and the Americans excel at it because they practice chaos on a daily basis."--Rommel

just get the raptor to turn on the after burners and fly past them. the turbulance would be likely to smash them to pieces - not that I would suggest doing that, this is purely a scientific theory exercise

LOL. Yea, just the flyby would cause devastation to those fabric wings.

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post

they might or might not! I think they would be so stunned that they probably wouldn’t see the markings! Lol

as far as the Fokker, if he is a seasoned pilot he could turn it to his advantage but the S.E. 5a’s have the advantage.

Not even sure a Sidewinder would lock on, and you can forget enough radar return for an AMRAAM. OTOH, my college mentor found himself on the wrong side of a 1960s-model AIM-9 that had locked onto his body heat while working on a plane on the ground... they had all kinds of fun disarming the damn thing and getting it safely unmounted from the rail.
    I found a few references saying that todays sidewinder will lock onto a Fokker dr 1 triplane even if it cut its engine. The friction on the leading edge of the wings would create enough thermal energy for the IR sensor to lock on to it. So if someone fires a sidewinder in your direction Don’t Fart! Lol

"War is Chaos, and the Americans excel at it because they practice chaos on a daily basis."--Rommel
    lol

Quote Originally Posted by camel crew View Post
    just get the raptor to turn on the after burners and fly past them. the turbulance would be likely to smash them to pieces - not that I would suggest doing that, this is purely a scientific theory exercise
    i think the wash created by the raptor would definitely do a number on the WWI planes. At the very least it would create a unstable turbulence causing the planes to loose control for a few seconds.

LOL. Yea, just the flyby would cause devastation to those fabric wings.
    I think you could be right Dan.

I found a few references saying that todays sidewinder will lock onto a Fokker dr 1 triplane even if it cut its engine. The friction on the leading edge of the wings would create enough thermal energy for the IR sensor to lock on to it. So if someone fires a sidewinder in your direction Don’t Fart! Lol
    Especially not me, my farts are Weapons of Mass Disgustion that I actually weaponized to get a real stinker of a prof fired back in college. Oh, that's a story... "hey, hold my burrito and watch this."

I have been told that my farts have a smell of an un-describable toxic waste dump. Diamondback, we should team up and conquer a small country with our stench!

I think I still hold the record for room clearance at Bristol University Student's Union building - the entire Wargames Club, 26 persons, upped and left, crying, after some brave few tried to open the windows, then fled...………

Half an hour "game break" - I was still laughing when we returned to our games!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    I think I still hold the record for room clearance at Bristol University Student's Union building - the entire Wargames Club, 26 persons, upped and left, crying, after some brave few tried to open the windows, then fled...………

Half an hour "game break" - I was still laughing when we returned to our games!
    My greatest hits take months to brew, but once uncorked have a lingering presence for weeks. Be glad there's no such thing as Smellovision...
    https://www.redstate.com/diary/diamo...watch-this.../

Did the wargames have rules for using poison gas, Tim?

Rules?

There are no rules when it comes to the use of Poison Gas!

So you're saying I'd make the game a more immersive and realistic WWI experience? LOL

thats about to become a very uncomfortable daisy chain in a couple seconds.

I guess we will need to start bringing Gas Masks to our wargame meetings!

I guess we will need to start bringing Gas Masks to our wargame meetings!
    well how is this! Lol
    Attached Images  

LOL! You guys are too much!
    I think the DR1 should rotary turn and try to get on tail of his pursuer. He can’t outrun them so he’s committed to the fight.

The Fokker should do a quick nose dip, snap shot the Se.5a (hope for a pilot hit), then a fast left turn. The trailing Se-5a will have a high deflection shot, but then the Fokker pilot can re-evaluate the issue, with both Brits together.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Pipper View Post
    LOL! You guys are too much!
    I think the DR1 should rotary turn and try to get on tail of his pursuer. He can’t outrun them so he’s committed to the fight.
    you are quite right, his only chance it’s to confront them!

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    The Fokker should do a quick nose dip, snap shot the Se.5a (hope for a pilot hit), then a fast left turn. The trailing Se-5a will have a high deflection shot, but then the Fokker pilot can re-evaluate the issue, with both Brits together.
    Karl
    sounds good! he definitely need to take out the first as he maneuvers to take on the one behind.

you are quite right, his only chance it’s to confront them!
    Shades of Werner Voss's last flight, then?

Shades of Werner Voss's last flight, then?
    Absolutely. Of course, he stayed far longer than he should have, until it was too late.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

I wonder if he is following Boelcke.

7. Use caution, especially when over enemy lines.

Sometimes it is a question of life or death.

Name:  CEC6F891-D91B-4514-BF9C-A82A6B437693.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  82.2 KB

This picture comes from the comic “Le Pilote ŕ l’Edelweiss” (Romain Hugault / Yann), third volume (tittle : Walburga)
    https://www.bdfugue.com/pilote-a-l-edelweiss-tome-3

(note a mistake from the authors : in September 1918, all Fokker E.V were grounded since 19th August 1918, and they were back to front not before 24th October. Moreover, the plane on the picture should have the mention Fok. EV 150 and not Fok DVIII 150, as known pictures of Fokker E.V have serial number starting with one hundred. Known pictures of Fokker D.VIII show 282, 553, 692, 697 ...)

Name:  F870A667-222D-4BCE-B41B-BD7E0CFC1A89.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  85.2 KB
    Name:  9C714C05-79FE-4A77-A839-5C2A6F53A5E9.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  109.7 KB
    Name:  30FC5395-DB38-45EE-BF8A-CA5D3BB02286.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  101.4 KB
    Name:  B6835210-F46A-47D7-BB38-759F46DA222C.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  103.5 KB

Yes, very nicely drawn storyboard!

I have been told that my farts have a smell of an un-describable toxic waste dump. Diamondback, we should team up and conquer a small country with our stench!
    Now that's what I'm talking about... LOL...

I thing I would kick hard right rudder and hard left bank on the ailerons? Hope for the overshoot..?

Have the F22 run a close full afterburner buz run on the DR1 and watch what happens?

Really great discussion though...

Chris

I still say the S.E. 5A never got its due, because it looks like a tractor with wings. Nothing sexy about that plane.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    I still say the S.E. 5A never got its due, because it looks like a tractor with wings. Nothing sexy about that plane.
    didn’t they use a tractor engine in it? Lol hahahaha

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    To be honest, I'm surprised the RAF kept the Sopwith Snipe for the after-the-war fighter, instead of up-engining the Se-5a, or buting the Martinside Buzzard.
    Karl

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast