Ares Games

Thread: Air Races!

Default Air Races!

What to do with all this time, a pile of divergent planes, and a captive professional game designer . .
    Hmmmmm . . . Pylons, course, cards, dice? Sorting wind, failures, everything that can happen, fixed course or cross country . . . keeping Andrew busy while he is here and off work!

Play out some Air Race game ideas, crack out the Golden Agers!

Attachment 284697

Attachment 284698

Can't forget the DC-3's . . .

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200404_112628.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	75.9 KB 
ID:	284699

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200404_112653.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	39.8 KB 
ID:	284700

And the Unlimited's!!! Where did I put that crate, oh yeah with the Red Bull Racers . . .

That lends a suggestion for a fourth Wings line... why not the Golden Age air racers? Schneider Cup, Bendix Trophy, Thompson Trophy, even the Powder Puff Derby and the MacRobertson for those who want long-endurance events with big birds... I'd suggest a MacRobertson be set at 1:200 so the sculpts can be reused in WGS.
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

What about a challenge to see who can model the Supermarine S6 and take it from there?
    My money's on Clipper.

Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    What about a challenge to see who can model the Supermarine S6 and take it from there?
    My money's on Clipper.
    You think anybody here's sucker enough to take that bet? Clipper could probably build a frickin' Death Star if he decided to...
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    My money's on Clipper.

Rob.
    Over water! We could build rims on the game table, flood it 1/2" deep, and have submerged bases! Yea!

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    You think anybody here's sucker enough to take that bet? Clipper could probably build a frickin' Death Star if he decided to...
    Would it float though . . . ? Yeah if we have enough water.

Quote Originally Posted by clipper1801 View Post
    Over water! We could build rims on the game table, flood it 1/2" deep, and have submerged bases! Yea!
    But then you need plastic movement cards...

Nothing's beyond the Clipper-Meister!

Go,elves, go!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Then the race is on!
    Suppose I will have to sport the trophy then.

Rob.

And no it won't be this one!

Schneider Trophy.

The Schneider Trophy, on display at the Science Museum, London

The Coupe d'Aviation Maritime Jacques Schneider, commonly called the Schneider Trophy or Schneider Prize (sometimes incorrectly referred to as the Schneider Cup, a different prize), was a trophy awarded annually (and later, biennially) to the winner of a race for
    seaplanes and flying boats. The Schneider Trophy is now held at the Science Museum, South Kensington, London.
    Announced in 1912 by
    Jacques Schneider, a French financier, balloonist and aircraft enthusiast, the competition offered a prize of approximately Ł1,000. The race was held twelve times between 1913 and 1931. It was intended to encourage technical advances in civil aviation but became a contest for pure speed with laps over a (usually) triangular course (initially 280 km, later 350 km). The contests were staged as time trials, with aircraft setting off individually at pre-agreed times, usually 15 minutes apart. The contests were very popular and some attracted crowds of over 200,000 spectators. An earlier trophy, also presented by Jacques Schneider in 1910, in France, was the Schneider Cup, which is now in the possession of the RAF College Cranwell.
    If an aero club won three races in five years, they would retain the trophy and the winning pilot would receive 75,000
    francs for each of the first three wins. Each race was hosted by the previous winning country. The races were supervised by the Fédération Aéronautique Internationale and the aero club in the hosting country. Each club could enter up to three competitors with an equal number of alternatives.
    The race was significant in advancing aeroplane design, particularly in the fields of
    aerodynamics and engine design, and would show its results in the best fighters of World War II. The streamlined shape and the low drag, liquid-cooled engine pioneered by Schneider Trophy designs are obvious in the British Supermarine Spitfire, the American North American P-51 Mustang, and the Italian Macchi C.202 Folgore.
    The Schneider Trophy is a sculpture of silver & bronze set on a marble base. It depicts a zephyr skimming the waves, and a nude winged figure is seen kissing a zephyr recumbent on a breaking wave. The heads of two other zephyrs and of
    Neptune, the god of the Sea, can be seen surrounded by octopus and crabs. The symbolism represents speed conquering the elements of sea and air.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Schneider_Trophy_Science_Museum_London.jpg  

Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

That is some trophy! Not quite fitting Mrs. Clippers style . . . So what scale? 1/200 or 1/144? I just saw some elves in the workroom . . .

I would go for the I/200 scale for the aircraft. Much the same reason that Ares use it for faster aircraft than WWI.
    The Trophy will be in 1/1 scale though.

Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Guntruck View Post
    That will do very well for the early races then Steve. However, as I said i would prefer the smaller scale but am willing to be swayed.

Rob.

1/200" it is. I have found a list of all racers entered each year from the first to the last if I do the S6 will anyone build something to fly against . . . ?

30' wingspan @ 1/200" scale = 1.8" kinda tiny . . . .

Similar Missions

1. NTSB Releases Reno Air Races Report
    By csadn in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-13-2012, 14:25
  2. An Idea after watching air races
    By Snowy in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 02-23-2011, 16:45