Ares Games

Thread: OTT CYM - Mission 1 - Back to Front - Mike's AAR

Default OTT CYM - Mission 1 - Back to Front - Mike's AAR

OTT CYM – Mission 1 – Back to the Front – July 5th 1916 – Mike’s AAR

“Ye Gods, will yer look at the mess they made of those beautiful new DH2s!”. The Ack Emma making that wry statement, stood there, by the hangar, with his hands on his hips and a look of horror on his face. He was watching the return of the morning patrol; three Airco DH2s, flown by Lt Mick Taker, the aussie 2nd Lt Bo Fletcher, both experienced pilots, and the new boy 2nd Lt Simon Hawker.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C pic 1.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	42.3 KB 
ID:	284645 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C pic 2.jpg 
Size:	45.8 KB 
ID:	284646

The birds flew, rather ungracefully, down onto the grass covered landing strip, each making an accident free touch down, despite the mess they were in. What canvas covered the nacelle buckets and wings was pretty much torn to shreds and great lumps and splinters could be seen already, with the naked eye, to have been torn from wing struts and fuselage frames, together with a few wires waving about where they shouldn’t have been.

Name:	C pic 3.jpg 
Size:	15.4 KB 
ID:	284647 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C pic 4.jpg 
Size:	76.8 KB 
ID:	284648

“I think we can safely say that the hun have given those three a warm welcome back to the front, wouldn’t you agree?” said his mate. “Best get ready for a long night and hope the spares have caught up with us – come on Ted, time to do some serious work again.”

Name:	C pic 5.jpg 
Size:	64.7 KB 
ID:	284649

The squadron had not long since returned from Blighty and Mick Taker’s flight had been the first to go out on morning patrol. Sure enough they had run into trouble and Uncle, also watching the spectacle from the step to his so called office, smoking his favourite pipe, as always, was anxious to know more. He walked, briskly to meet them as they rolled drunkenly up to the hangar area.

Name:	C pic 6.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	30.3 KB 
ID:	284650 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C Pic 7.jpg 
Size:	133.8 KB 
ID:	284651

“Anyone hurt?” was his first question to Mick Taker, once the engines had ceased their roaring protests.
    Mick climbed down, with a big grin on his face.
    “Not amongst us, this time!” he said. “Can’t say the same for our “friends” back east though.”
    “That makes a nice change, Mick! Ok, over to my shed in ten minutes. Grab yourselves a cup of tea and sort out a brief report between yourselves. You can save the lurid detail for the mess tonight. I’m sure everyone will want to know why your machines went out looking like they just came from the manufacturer, only to have you return them looking like what the Germans might call “Klapper Kistern”.
    “Right o, ten minutes it is.”

Name:	C pic 8.jpg 
Size:	120.9 KB 
ID:	284652

That evening, the lurid details certainly did do the rounds, embellished, no doubt, by the warm feelings of intoxication resulting from the imbibing of too much whiskey.

The tale went something like this, adjusted somewhat for the slurring of speech and occassional use of foul language.

Mick Taker’s flight had flown across the lines and well over enemy held territory. The intention had been to familiarise themselves with the terrain, much changed by martial activity since they were last here and apart from a small amount of archie, the patrol had been particularly uneventful. They’d spotted the odd two seater here and there, but those had run for cover as soon as they had realized they’d been spotted.

Name:	C pic 9.jpg 
Size:	106.0 KB 
ID:	284653

With orders to turn for home on reaching the only untouched church landmark in the area, the heading west had just been made when they had finally run into a flight of four Fokker EIIIs, themselves using the self same church as a landmark point to turn east for their barn.

Name:	C pic 10.jpg 
Size:	78.9 KB 
ID:	284654 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C pic 11.jpg 
Size:	74.0 KB 
ID:	284655

“It was like this, you see...” announced Bo Fletcher, who then took up the story, him being very good at it.
    “I spotted the church first and waved to the boss to let him know. So then we turned west and as we did that I noticed young Simon here, waving his arms frantically!”
    “Well, I seem to have keener eyesight than most.” the said 2nd Lt Simon Hawker blurted out, interrupting Bo’s rhetoric, “and I spotted a bunch of Fokkers heading our way.”

Name:	CYM1 1.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	181.2 KB 
ID:	284656 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CYM1 2.jpg 
Size:	245.3 KB 
ID:	284658

“Exactly” added Bo. “They were cruising over their own trenches and not, apparently, in the least concerned with anything else. They calmly turned in our direction, presumably heading home, like us. But, of course, that brought them into a head on brush with us.” and Bo grinned at the recollection.

Name:	CYM1 3.jpg 
Size:	258.9 KB 
ID:	284659 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CYM1 4.jpg 
Size:	232.0 KB 
ID:	284660

“Turning towards the hun, I found myself a little ahead of the boss, sorry Mick …..” and Mick just shrugged his shoulders and took another gulp of whiskey. “...with young Simon here bringing up the rear.

Name:	CYM1 5.jpg 
Size:	284.5 KB 
ID:	284661 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CYM1 6.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	265.6 KB 
ID:	284662

“And by this time, it was clear that our neighbours had every intention of taking us on. Four of them to three of us. Fair odds I call that”
    “I’m not sure you’d have said that if you’d met any of the new Albatros those buggers have equipped themselves with recently”, someone muttered.
    “Maybe, but they weren’t, were they?” added Bo. So he continued his tale:
    “Their lead and I opened up at each other a bit too early I guess, ‘cos we both missed by a mile I reckon.

Name:	CYM1 7.jpg 
Size:	288.2 KB 
ID:	284663 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CYM1 8.jpg 
Size:	180.0 KB 
ID:	284664

“But, as you all know, things happen like a flash of lightening up there. Next thing you know, there are bullets flying every which way. Except, my bloody gun jammed, didn’t it! I’ve lost count of the number of times that has happened to me!”
    “Should check your bullets more carefully then, shouldn’t you Bo?” piped up Dubh Beard, who had just joined the party. And Bo was not about to argue the toss on that score. So he just continued.
    “But the boss hit his target ok, so he said after. And the poor bugger copped it good. First he caught fire, then he blew up in mid air. And off down he tumbled. No idea what happened to him, ‘cos we were too busy with the rest of them to watch.”

Name:	CYM1 9.jpg 
Size:	270.0 KB 
ID:	284665 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CYM1 10.jpg 
Size:	281.7 KB 
ID:	284666

Name:	CYM1 11.jpg 
Size:	298.9 KB 
ID:	284667 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CYM1 12.jpg 
Size:	271.4 KB 
ID:	284668

Mick Taker briefly interrupted at that point. “Too busy is a bit of an understatement I think. Their shooting, at that short range, was too damned good for comfort. I took a whole lot of hits and how they all missed me personally is known only to the Gods!”
    “Me too” added Simon Hawker. “But I know I hit one of them in return, because I saw him flinch. And then my gun also jammed.

Name:	CYM1 13.jpg 
Size:	246.0 KB 
ID:	284669 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CYM1 14.jpg 
Size:	269.6 KB 
ID:	284670

“Which is why we collided, I think! He and I hit one another quite hard, although luckily no serious damage was done to my aircraft. Not so sure that was true of his though. And I’m petty certain another of the hun’s own flight damned near collided with us at the same time. I was bloody scared by that I don’t mind admitting it!”

Name:	CYM1 15.jpg 
Size:	231.6 KB 
ID:	284671 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CYM1 16.jpg 
Size:	246.1 KB 
ID:	284672

“It was then that I about turned and caught their back marker,” said Mick Taker “although my rudders went slack at the same time, which almost cost me later. Anyway, green his Fokker was and it was a good shot too because next second there were flames coming from his engine and I thought to myself – he’s done for then!

Name:	CYM1 17.jpg 
Size:	255.1 KB 
ID:	284673 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CYM1 18.jpg 
Size:	257.5 KB 
ID:	284674

“But not so apparently, because he flew on for a bit and I lost sight of him.”
    “But I finished him off for you.” Bo Fletcher added smugly. “Sorry Mick, but I’m claiming that one. A green Fokker came from nowhere, straight at me. I could see he was struggling to keep flames away from himself, but that was his problem, I’m afraid. I let him have it at long range and boom. Down he went. Not before he’d had a pop at me too though. But the flames must have put his aim off and very few of his bullets came my way”.

Name:	CYM1 19.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	189.5 KB 
ID:	284675 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CYM1 20.jpg 
Size:	233.9 KB 
ID:	284676

“Well done Bo” Mick said and he meant it. They were good friends and Mick valued Bo as a wing man watching his back. He continued “Meantime, it was my turn to have my gun jam. Missed the hun at long range too, just to add insult to injury. Really got to address this bloody problem of gun jams!

Name:	CYM1 21.jpg 
Size:	252.4 KB 
ID:	284677 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CYM1 22.jpg 
Size:	260.5 KB 
ID:	284678

Name:	CYM1 23.jpg 
Size:	244.4 KB 
ID:	284679

“Added to which, as I just said a minute ago, my bloody rudders had gone slack and I was busily trying to sort that out and flew right under the gun of one of the remaining Fokkers. It was only by the grace of God that he missed!”
    “Well I think I did better than that.” Piped up Simon Hawker once more. “I caught a red Fokker right on the flank and I’m certain I hit his engine.”

Name:	CYM1 24.jpg 
Size:	274.9 KB 
ID:	284680 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CYM1 25.jpg 
Size:	172.1 KB 
ID:	284681

“Well done you too” was the general chorus from everyone in the mess. Which made Simon feel pretty good.
    “Well that left the hun with just two of their flight against us.” Said Bo, whose voice, by this time, was well raised, as happens when the whiskey takes effect . “The little green Fokker spiralled out of control and headed down to the ground at some speed, I can tell you. Don’t think he’ll be bothering us again for a while, if he made it out alive that is!”
    “A sobering thought indeed”, said one of the others and briefly the room went quiet.
    Not for long though. Too much alcohol was flowing for their spirits to be dampened for very long, right at that moment anyway.

Name:	CYM1 26.jpg 
Size:	126.5 KB 
ID:	284682 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CYM1 27.jpg 
Size:	113.7 KB 
ID:	284683

“Well, that was pretty much the end of it, bar the shouting” said Bo.
    “Yea, I had one last go at one of them” added Simon, “But I definitely got the worst of it. Bits were flying off my machine left right and centre and I was really ready to call it a day”.

Name:	CYM1 28.jpg 
Size:	259.9 KB 
ID:	284684 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CYM1 29.jpg 
Size:	232.5 KB 
ID:	284685

“Me too.” added Mick. I finally got the rudder thing under control and was turning for home, because my machine was pretty shredded and I was concerned I wouldn’t even make it over to our own lines. Then this bloody Fokker had another go at me from up close. How he missed, again, I don’t know. Or maybe all his bullets simply went through the holes he’d already made in my poor old Airco!”
    At which observation there was general alcohol induced laughter.

Name:	CYM1 30.jpg 
Size:	255.0 KB 
ID:	284686 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CYM1 31.jpg 
Size:	154.3 KB 
ID:	284687

“I did have one last long range shot at one of them, but the damned gun jammed on me, yet again. Enough said I think.”

Name:	CYM1 32.jpg 
Size:	258.7 KB 
ID:	284688 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CYM1 33.jpg 
Size:	268.3 KB 
ID:	284689

Name:	CYM1 37.jpg 
Size:	241.0 KB 
ID:	284690 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CYM1 38.jpg 
Size:	161.2 KB 
ID:	284691

“After that, we all just drifted off towards our own homes.” finished Bo Fletcher. “It was like we all had had enough and our machines were barely holding together still, anyway.
    “Quite a dust up. I wonder what happened to the hun pilots. Any news yet Uncle? Do we get the confirmations through?” added Bo and the room went qiet again.

The End

Butcher’s Bill

Entente

Name:	CYM1 39.jpg 
Size:	143.5 KB 
ID:	284692

Lt Mick E Taker / FRTB-D / 1 Kill

2nd Lt Bo Fletcher / RTB / 1 kill

2nd Lt Simon Hawker / FRTB-D / 0 kills

Result – All good for all three

Central Powers

Name:	CYM1 40.jpg 
Size:	157.8 KB 
ID:	284693

ObLtn Josef Jacob / FRTB-D / WIA / 0 kills
    Roll 2D6 = 7 + 1 RTB – 1 WIA = 7 Injured Roll 1D2 (D6 = 3) – Skip 1 scenario.
    Result Skip 1 scenario

Ltn Heinrich Gabriel / EXP FT / 0 kills
    Roll 2D6 = 8 – 3 EXP = 5 – Injured, roll 1D3 (D6 = 4) – Skip 2 scenarios.
    Result Skip 2 scenarios

Ltn Xavier Döring / EXP FT / 0 kills
    Roll 2D6 = 11 – 3 EXP = 8 – Injured, roll 1D2 (D6 = 5) – Skip 2 scenarios
    Result Skip 2 scenarios

Ltn Gerhard Keudell / RTB / 0 kills
    Result – All good

Victory points
    Given the points left on aircraft I have awarded a “Forced to Return to base, even though an aircraft may still have been on the mat at the end of the mission.

Entente
    EA shot down x 2 = 6 points
    EA forced home x 1 = 2 points
    Total = 8 points

Central Powers
    EA forced home x 2 = 4 points
    Total = 4 points

Result – Entente Victory
    Last edited by flash; 04-05-2020 at 00:36.

A few notes to go with the above - IT manoeuvers begin after the first contact. Prior to that, flights on both sides stick to their original formations.
    Altitude was not played.
    When firing, hits against Entente aircraft are always drawn before those against central powers aircraft.
    Only one damage deck was used, of each type. This is a change from my usual practice of using double decks and i think it worked better.
    Decided not to opt for the extra Bulldogs.
    You may notice that Mick Taker was forced to leave earlier than he did. this is because both rudders were jammed and he was going in the wrong direction - he was very lucky indeed to get away with that.
    Sorry this is out so late.
    Thanks Dave, thoroughly enjoyed this one!
    cheers,
    Mike
    Last edited by mikeemagnus; 04-04-2020 at 08:41.

Nice to see you back Over the Trenches, Mike.

Your mission could have been mine for the Adler ..

Lovely telling of the tale, and I liked some of the pictures added at the start of the story - several I had not seen before.

One thing:
    Given the points left on aircraft I have awarded a “Forced to Return to base, even though an aircraft may still have been on the mat at the end of the mission.
    Two of yours actually were FRTB because they were within 3 of their limit.
    Last edited by Stumptonian; 04-04-2020 at 09:35.

Two of yours actually were FRTB because they were within 3 of their limit.
    Yep, indeed they were. That's exactly what I meant by my comment. Sorry if that wasn't clear. I gave the CP forces the points for them in the tally.
    Thanks for the rep buddy - appreciated.
    Stay safe now,
    Mike

I was just meaning that their plotted moves have to be toward the exit - any shooting has to be because a target fell into your sights.
    Might have been a moot point looking back at your pics.

Nicely played Mike - that was a mite hectic for a few moments wasn't it ! Glad you had fun with it & a pleasure to read the story from the Mess

Uncle says:

Well done chaps, you all got home in one piece even is your machine's are a little worse for wear ! Nothing that the fitter's & riggers can't put right I'm told, though it might take an all nighter. A couple of Eagles bagged to boot, Mick's doubled his score & Bo's got his third, so plenty to celebrate, mines a pint !

This is quite right - even if your chaps are still on the table the FRTB criteria are still applied & should be shown in the Tally, Uncle has made appropriate corrections.
    Last edited by flash; 04-05-2020 at 00:55.

"He is wise who watches"

Again, you are correct Pete, but as I tried to explain, probably rather poorly, the aircraft that flew in the wrong direction had to, because of rudder damage. It was the aircraft i was flying myself and I had plotted an Immelman turn for manoeuver three. On manoeuvers one and two he took a left and a right rudder damage and therefore could only plot straights in the following turn - towards the Central Powers base line. That's what almost did for him as he subsequently took two double hits, with all four cards coming up "0" lucky boy. He then turned for home and got his last hit in as the enemy also turned for home and came under his sights. Guess what - he jammed again - ah well, you win some you lose some
    I know you are not making an issue of this but I thought you warrented an explanation - after all I do make a lot of mistakes

Excellent bit of hun bashing there, old boy! They'll think twice about taking on odds where they're out numbered by 3 RFC to their own 4.

Thumbs up

Terrific AAR on your return to the Front Mike!
    Loved the pics in the start of the tale & the style you chose to relate the battle.
    Your chaps did a good job on the jolly old Hun but were a bit lucky to all get home safely.

Have a bit of Rep on me.

Nice one Mike. Your boys kept their cool and got the job done. A bit of damage but canvas is easily patched up. Getting all the boys home without a scratch is priceless.

By the looks of it I think the odds were in your favor. Too bad I already submitted mission 2, I could have added extra Hun just for you!

All done Mike
    Last edited by flash; 04-05-2020 at 03:46.

"He is wise who watches"

Thanks guys - yep, some of the boys were flying by the proverbial seats of their pants by the end Mission 2 all set to go Peter - I'm afraid its too late to add any more eagles

Thanks for making the adjustments Dave - I'll get it all right one of these days. I see what Pete meant now. I'd counted the FRTB in the results for victory points but not in the butcher's bill - sorry Pete

Similar Missions

1. AAR OTT-CYM Mission 1: Back to Front - July 5th 1916 {ShadowDragon}
    By ShadowDragon in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 04-04-2020, 14:12
  2. AAR OTT CYM - Mission 1 - Flash Back to Front - 5th July 1916
    By flash in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-04-2020, 12:31
  3. AAR OTT-CYM Mission 1: Back to Front - July 5th 1916 {Stumptonian}
    By Stumptonian in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 6