Ares Games

Thread: P-38 Lightning Virtual Model posted by Ares

Gimme gimme gimme want want gimme!

Oh wait, we'll be getting them when?

I am informed from my local provider that the Sky Pilot series on mini models (1/200 scale P-38) are no longer available from Hobby Lobby.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    Oh wait, we'll be getting them when?
    Hopefully sometime within the next 20 years

Interesting; both an early and a late model. They should have different decks, possibly very different.
    Also interesting is that they now have 3 USA planes and 1 Japanese plane in the works. Maybe Ares will finally ditch the 4 plane series, and just release planes!

Quote Originally Posted by clipper1801 View Post
    I am informed from my local provider that the Sky Pilot series on mini models (1/200 scale P-38) are no longer available from Hobby Lobby.
    But AiM has them, both early and late models.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

So that makes confirmations:

Guadalcanal Starter (and hopefully Squadron Packs): Zero, Wildcat, Val, Corsair
    PTO Expansions: P-38F/J, Ki-43, P-39, Corsair

MTO: SM.79 Sparviero, ?Blenheim

Eastern Front: Pe-2

Over the Horizon future: B-24

What else do we know is in the WGS pipeline?
    Last edited by Diamondback; 04-13-2020 at 11:35.
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post

Blenheims and SM-79s
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

cant wait for the forked tail devils!

So that makes confirmations:
    Midway Starter (and hopefully Squadron Packs): Zero, Wildcat, Val, Corsair

Eastern Front: Pe-2

Over the Horizon future: B-24

Where are you guys finding the info on the Zero? I must have missed it and didn't see anything on their website.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200413_164201.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	69.9 KB 
ID:	285285
    Posted a week ago in discussion below P-38 virtual model video. I guess this account is operated by Roberto himself.
    Last edited by Dan-Sam; 04-13-2020 at 09:36.

Also common sense--when you talk carrier battles or the Solomons, there IS no other fighter in play.
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.

"And Wings of Glory planes such as the Dauntless." - Would be nice if that included the P-40 too.

I'd be glad to see reissues of the early Pacific models. The A6M2 in overall grey will be an easy color scheme for Ares to produce. I hope Ares will take the opportunity to issue an updated maneuver deck for the Zero with enhanced turn performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveman View Post
    "And Wings of Glory planes such as the Dauntless." - Would be nice if that included the P-40 too.
    My bet is P-40 will be either a CBI or MTO (N Africa or Italy) series... I'd like to see a Southwest Pacific (New Guinea/Rabaul/Solomons) set where P-40s could shine too, but the backwater that was "MacArthur's War" is kinda my niche.

My bet is P-40 will be either a CBI or MTO (N Africa or Italy) series... I'd like to see a Southwest Pacific (New Guinea/Rabaul/Solomons) set where P-40s could shine too, but the backwater that was "MacArthur's War" is kinda my niche.
    The SW pacific was sort of my niche for Origins games, in the informal planning several years ago. I never got off the stick, and produced, though the planes, decals and plans are still there (now just have to DO it).
    An interesting reminisce: some friends of mine played a full campaign game of SPI's War in the Pacific, with a modifier: Germany didn't declare war on the USA, and with the population focused on Pearl Harbor, the USA player was given 75% max production for the Pacific, rather than the historical 30% (IIRC). Since ships bigger than a DD took time to build, most of the extra production went into army divisions, planes, more planes, construction units, bases, subs, and more planes.
    Most of this got based out of Oz, and up the SW pacific corridors. Pretty much any time the IJN came down to contest the advance, they were smothered in air attacks, and subs.
    An interesting what-if.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    The SW pacific was sort of my niche for Origins games, in the informal planning several years ago. I never got off the stick, and produced, though the planes, decals and plans are still there (now just have to DO it).
    An interesting reminisce: some friends of mine played a full campaign game of SPI's War in the Pacific, with a modifier: Germany didn't declare war on the USA, and with the population focused on Pearl Harbor, the USA player was given 75% max production for the Pacific, rather than the historical 30% (IIRC). Since ships bigger than a DD took time to build, most of the extra production went into army divisions, planes, more planes, construction units, bases, subs, and more planes.
    Most of this got based out of Oz, and up the SW pacific corridors. Pretty much any time the IJN came down to contest the advance, they were smothered in air attacks, and subs.
    An interesting what-if.
    Karl
    Karl, if you DM me your email I have a harebrained research project idea I'd like to run by you... sounds like you were pretty well "In Mac's Head."

I plan to spend all the money I have been saving not buying the recent releases on carriers full of these birds.

I've been working on and off on 4 AIM P38's for some time now. This silver finish is a bigger to get right. I'm up to my third re-paint and still not satisfied. I might just have to settle for best attempt.

Looks like I need to make some room on the shelf!

My son has no interest in playing WoG anymore , but some interest in X-wing, so when we have flown it's been that (maybe 2x this year). Sadly my planes are sitting in the basement. Essentially I have been "saving them for a rainy day". Even with everyone in lockdown I don't fly them, so when would that day be? HOWEVER, the PTO is what have been gathering and I enjoy. I would love to get more PTO planes. Even if they just sit, perhaps I can display them somehow in my office at work. (Hrm. Will need a display case of sorts...)

Don't forget your son will have his son Never give up!

I hope that Ares will not forget that the Pacific carrier war also had torpedo bombers. Also flying boats were important for reconnaissance.

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    I hope that Ares will not forget that the Pacific carrier war also had torpedo bombers. Also flying boats were important for reconnaissance.
    *I* hope, and have been vocal in reminding them, that in addition to that Ares will not forget that the Carrier War was not the entire Pacific War, and that the island-hops through the Central Pacific to get B-29 bases and the slog back up through New Guinea and the Philippines were important fights too.

Seriously, the only sculpt I need from Ares to do pretty good Battle for Darwin and Port Moresby campaigns is a Betty. (P-39/P-400 and Nell would be helpful too, but given the Betty most everything else is just a metric crapton of redecoes. And we need Bettys for Cactus AF anyway...)

Quote Originally Posted by Gotham Resident View Post
    My son has no interest in playing WoG anymore , but some interest in X-wing, so when we have flown it's been that (maybe 2x this year). Sadly my planes are sitting in the basement. Essentially I have been "saving them for a rainy day". Even with everyone in lockdown I don't fly them, so when would that day be? HOWEVER, the PTO is what have been gathering and I enjoy. I would love to get more PTO planes. Even if they just sit, perhaps I can display them somehow in my office at work. (Hrm. Will need a display case of sorts...)
    Maybe mount 'em on a board like butterflies?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan-Sam View Post
    Don't forget your son will have his son Never give up!
    Or daughter
    Karl

Quote Originally Posted by zippyfusenet View Post
    I hope Ares will take the opportunity to issue an updated maneuver deck for the Zero with enhanced turn performance.
    It has been planned for years by Andrea Angiolino : “Zero shall be revised in the next release.”

His message #78 - 11-21-2015 17:53 :
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...highlight=VIII

When they show up for preorder I will start to take any new releases seriously.

Guadalcanal Starter (and hopefully Squadron Packs): Zero, Wildcat, Val, Corsair
    The Wings of War Ju.87 Stuka and Aichi Val got rectangular Bomber box.
    but the Wings of Glory Ju.87 Stuka gets the square Fighter box, like the other Squadron packs of the same serie (Spitfire, Bf.109E, Hurricane).

We can suppose that the future WOG Aichi Val bomber will be also re-edited in a square Fighter box, as it as the same wingspan as the Stuka.
    And the Val miniature fits perfectly well in the Stuka Squadron pack box.
    (On the picture, the Val on the right side is stored in the SBD Dauntless square Fighter box, like the other planes of the same serie Bf.109K, P.47, Suisei).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2CE5E8A1-921B-4B30-BD81-AABC24809EDB.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	132.5 KB 
ID:	287779

It would need an earlier version of the Douglas Dauntless dive bomber than was previously issued.

Maybe mount 'em on a board like butterflies?
    Well, they do have bottom mounts....perhaps.

While it is true that someday my son may have a son (or daughter) of his own who many want to fly planes with Granddad/Pappaw/Poppop/Grampa, I suppose I can find comfort in the fact that it's only 20-30 years away! (If the son is 16, waits 10 years and a the 10 year old wants to play).

Similar Missions

1. RAP Errata posted on Ares Games website
    By diceslinger in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 12-15-2012, 02:24
  2. WW2 FAQ/ errata posted on Ares site
    By somaliavet in forum WGS: Rules Help
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-13-2012, 17:45
  3. Bomber Scenarios posted on Ares Games website
    By diceslinger in forum WGF: Mission Discussions
    Replies: 2