Ares Games

Thread: A Storage System for My Biplanes

Default A Storage System for My Biplanes

As I've increased my holdings of WW1 Wings of War/Glory biplanes, it has become quickly apparent that lugging all of them around has become prohibitive. My current storage is two "legal size" clam shell document boxes plus the original boxes in which they came, all in one large plastic bin.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Current_Storage_System.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	73.3 KB 
ID:	284261

As you can see, I was using plastic 1/4" (~ 6.3 mm) H-columns placed just far enough apart that I could slide the bases and planes between them as well as keep the plane cards under each base. But the planes were not perfectly secure as it is hard to keep the plastic columns perfectly aligned and they would slide against each other.

So I researched what other WoW/G gamers have done. There were a couple of usable systems but in this time of "stay at home" I couldn't justify getting out to buy the components, especially as I fall into one of the "more likely to catch it" categories. So I started planning to use what I did have. My first foray was out of foam core but I quickly realized that wouldn't work - took up too much room and was difficult to cut and fit.

My second foray used a lattice of mat board about 1/16" (~ 1.5mm) thick. That worked much better as it was easier to cut and gave me more room in the box I was using. Here's the first completed box.

Name:	New_Storage_01.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	68.0 KB 
ID:	284262

It holds 15 small fighters. Eventually I'll have two of this type, one for Allied and one for Central Powers planes. This "mixed" box has, from the left, three Fokker D VII, three Fokker Dr I, three Sopwith Camels, three SPAD XIII, and three Sopwith Snipes. My Albatros D III, Pfalz D III, Phoenix D I, and Nieuport 17, 23, and 28 planes will all fit in this arrangement. Overall I am very satisfied with this arrangement.

Name:	New_Storage_02.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	105.2 KB 
ID:	284263

This is another view of the box showing how I attached the individual plane cards using a rubber coated paper clip. The bottom is lined with a rubberized shelf liner that helps to keep the planes from sliding around too much. I also have some thin padding that I'll use as well on the sides of each cell.

The other planes will go into three boxes -- one with three SE-5/5A, four Albatross D V, and five small two-seaters (Rolands and Ufags); one with eight larger two-seaters (all Allied); and one with five larger two-seaters (Central Powers and Allied) plus room for boxed maneuver and damage decks and bagged markers.

The boxes I'll use are by the Sterilite Company which I get at our local Target. They are designed for American "letter" (11" x 8-1/2") paper. I use them for troop storage, both 15mm and 25/28mm. The interior dimensions are 12" (~ 305mm) by 9" (~ 229mm). The lattice is 2" (~ 51mm) tall and notched to fit together. The lattice fits into the box very snugly, preventing any lateral movement. For additional security during movement I can lay a piece of bubble wrap on top.

Name:	Sterlite_box_label.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	68.1 KB 
ID:	284264

This is the label of the box. They are relatively inexpensive, about $7.00 (US) each. The advantages of these boxes are they are dust and water resistant, have locking clasps, and will fit into a standard one-cubic foot cardboard box for easy transport.

I'll post additional pictures of the completed boxes once I get them done.

Jim

Thar looks really neat. I use the pre partioned plasric boxes but with over 150 planes I am thinking of a better solution.

Nicely done.

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Nice job!

That was really interesting. Thank you for sharing the details of your system.

Once I saw the trays that Keith makes and sells on the Aerodrome Accessories site, I was hooked. I pre-ordered a dozen or so in various sizes. Hear that Keith? Oh, did I type that out loud?

I do like the idea of putting them in a plastic tote for full protection. That's what I'm doing now and will probably continue to do even with those super awesome trays that Keith is most certainly cranking out at this very moment. Just joking, my Sir!

That system looks the biz!

Just be careful with the paper clips holding the plane cards to the walls - an exposed wire end on a paper clip can put a nasty gouge into a card.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Jim, that deserves a "well-done"!

I like that mat board idea. How did you (or what did you use) cut the board so cleanly and precisely?

Thanks for the kind comments, comrades.

Bwana Joe -- For cutting the mat board I just used a large "snap-blade" craft knife and a metal ruler (actually an old model railroad HO/O scale ruler I inherited from my father). The key is to make a number of light cuts and not try to cut all the way through in one cut.

Helmut -- Thanks for the warning about the exposed end. Although the rubber coating goes all the way to the end, it may not last as they are used.

I made a second "small planes" lattice last night so now my Allied and Central Powers planes are in separate boxes. Next up are lattices for the larger two-seaters.

Jim

Default WGF - Plane Storage System

And last night (Wednesday) I finished the rest of the latices and now almost all my planes have a safe hanger.

Box 1 -- Fifteen Allied Powers single-seat fighters

Name:	Box_1_Allied_fighters.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	118.8 KB 
ID:	284612

Box 2 -- Fifteen Central Powers single-seat fighters

Name:	Box_2_Central_fighters.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	109.6 KB 
ID:	284613

Box 3 -- Mix of Allied and German single-seat fighters and Central Powers two-seat bomber/recce planes

Name:	Box_3_Mixed_planes.jpg 
Size:	100.7 KB 
ID:	284614

Box 4 -- Eight Allied Powers two-seat bomber/recce planes

Name:	Box_4_Allied_2-seaters.jpg 
Size:	106.5 KB 
ID:	284615

Box 5 -- One British two-seat fighter and four Central Powers two-seat bomber/recce planes

Name:	Box_5_Mixed_2-seaters.jpg 
Size:	107.1 KB 
ID:	284616

You can see additional details at ColCampbell's Barracks.

Hope you like this method.

Jim

Similar Missions

1. California Bay Area Biplanes!
    By ColoradoCoppens in forum US Wing
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 05-03-2014, 20:07
  2. Last Biplanes
    By Marechallannes in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 06-29-2013, 04:30
  3. The biplanes are coming!
    By FrankJamison in forum Site News and Announcements
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 06-14-2012, 16:25
  4. WGS: The Last Biplanes
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Site News and Announcements
    Replies: 63
    Last Post: 12-12-2010, 14:40
  5. WWI system vs WWII system question????
    By Propjockey53 in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-01-2010, 14:14