Ares Games
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Spitballing Future Sets, 2020 edition

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    But then that eliminates incentive to buy THEIR minis, if you can print-on-demand between PDF and Shapeways... no sales = no revenue = no new minis = Dead Like Nexus.
    Good point. I am going to complain like several others when I say that it would be nice if they would release or at least reprint some planes.

No new minis is where we are right now

Did I miss this, but cant see the MS BB 2 seater recce plane, for early war, equipped a few sqns of RFC and RNAS

Quote Originally Posted by Boney10 View Post
    Did I miss this, but cant see the MS BB 2 seater recce plane, for early war, equipped a few sqns of RFC and RNAS
    BB added to OP list, though if I'm reading DM right it sounds like Ares has closed the book on anything but reprints.
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

No new minis? Is that definitive or speculation? Would really like to see the Sopwith Pup and Dolphin officially released at least.

See post #52 above. David and I both do research for Ares every now and again.
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.

Oberleutnant

Users Country Flag

Name
    Andreas
    Sorties Flown

So there is nothing new than speculations or the Options that the whole line is "dead"?

Wasnt there some announcments in the (early) past that the balloons will come and that the London maps will get a release too?

But the end of the line fits to my "Feeling" from the last year I have till now that WoG is not interessting for ares anymore and they specialize to other brands.

Very sad.

Balloons are re-prints, so not "new minis"

London maps are mats, so not "new minis"

We can hope...…………..
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

I think both of those would sell out production runs very quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Alfgard View Post
    So there is nothing new than speculations or the Options that the whole line is "dead"?

Wasnt there some announcments in the (early) past that the balloons will come and that the London maps will get a release too?

But the end of the line fits to my "Feeling" from the last year I have till now that WoG is not interessting for ares anymore and they specialize to other brands.

Very sad.
    WWI may be joining Sails in doldrums, but... well, I can't tell you a lot but there's some really cool stuff coming for the WWII guys--actually, I'm working some of the front-end research on it for Ares already.

Oberleutnant

Users Country Flag

Name
    Andreas
    Sorties Flown

Mhh, I always thought it is the other way round... ww1 is/was the "seller" and ww2 is pulled along

Hooray! For the WW2 line!

Sigh, here we go again down that rabbit hole....

Dan, some of us have been pushing for card deck releases so we could Shapeways our airfleets for years. Ares made the decision to go from a card based to model based game system a long time ago. Old WoW product had extra cards and maneuver decks in them but since it became WoG that has vanished. The only practicle way to get spare decks is to search out WoW sets and card decks on E-Bay.

As I see it the game has stalled and only the efforts of some of the board members have kept it from just going away. We have serious stock shortages in stores, lack of a reasonable reprint schedule, years between new releases, and a broken rules box (no planes, decks, or plane cards) for WWI. All of which reduce exposure in hobby stores, degrade store interest in carrying a product that has spotty resupply, stifle any attempts to quickly and cheaply enlarge collections, and in general kill any possibility in a major break out into a mainstream game with lots of players. I would be really interested to see what percentage of their production was owned by the top 10% of posters on this forum. Add in degrading quality of Chinese production processes and longer release schedules and it is not getting any better.

That being said some of us have built up large card deck libraries over the years so use Shapways to fill out gaps and shortages (have at least 1 of every deck type for WWI myself and about half the WWII decks). This means at some point you do raise above the shortage issue and can self produce what you need. but it takes time and money.

My picks are:
    RAF F.E.2b
    Sopwith Pup
    Alb DI
    Lloyd CII

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    Sigh, here we go again down that rabbit hole....

Dan, some of us have been pushing for card deck releases so we could Shapeways our airfleets for years. Ares made the decision to go from a card based to model based game system a long time ago. Old WoW product had extra cards and maneuver decks in them but since it became WoG that has vanished. The only practicle way to get spare decks is to search out WoW sets and card decks on E-Bay.

As I see it the game has stalled and only the efforts of some of the board members have kept it from just going away. We have serious stock shortages in stores, lack of a reasonable reprint schedule, years between new releases, and a broken rules box (no planes, decks, or plane cards) for WWI. All of which reduce exposure in hobby stores, degrade store interest in carrying a product that has spotty resupply, stifle any attempts to quickly and cheaply enlarge collections, and in general kill any possibility in a major break out into a mainstream game with lots of players. I would be really interested to see what percentage of their production was owned by the top 10% of posters on this forum. Add in degrading quality of Chinese production processes and longer release schedules and it is not getting any better.

That being said some of us have built up large card deck libraries over the years so use Shapways to fill out gaps and shortages (have at least 1 of every deck type for WWI myself and about half the WWII decks). This means at some point you do raise above the shortage issue and can self produce what you need. but it takes time and money.
    100% agreed on all points. Six months ago I was just getting into WGF and the learning curve to even understand what's what and what and where to buy initially is a huge barrier to success for the game.

Oberleutnant

Users Country Flag

Name
    Andreas
    Sorties Flown

I was "in and out" the game 2 times before (Nexus aera and around 2013 - had everything but no Players, so sold all my stuff). After learning that most games dont have a constant "Motivation" (last we played "Magic the gathering" over a year and spend looot of Money - but the interest faded) I got back to WoW/WoG in December...with the Task to get every release one time. Also there is the aspect that I now have at least 3 other Players (my oldest three Kids - 10, 9 and 7 years) and the future is safe as the have one year old twin Baby . Also I have 2-3 adult friends to Play with.

I learned that the great Thing about this games are the minis (as eye-catchers) and the rules which you can fit from easy (just fly with the Cards to very complex).
    We tried X-wing but it really frustrates with all ist Cards.

What I dont really understand ist why ares dont use Kickstarter for this game (as they did with the "big ones"). Ares uses KS for other Systems.
    For me WoG would perfectly fit the KS-Intention. Ares could exactly calculate what the demand is and make a KS every year.

But as I said, I Think ares has grown and the profit margin isnt high enough. Years ago they where happy to have a brand like WoG and now...but aside the lines that
    that made them big.

Andreas, I agree with you completely with kickstarter. As long as they learn form the SNAFU the Tripods and Triplanes kickstarter was. I think if they choose a better company to product the models it would have gone a ton better. I could be wrong.

Just a KS to reprint some existing models I think would be successful. Some of the more popular ones that cannot be found and there is a good demand for. That is my opinion and since I do not know the overall financials of Ares maybe my opinion won't work for them.

The other problem is the more Ares does via KS, the more problems they have with retailers and distributors who don't like "cutting out the middlemen." So far, their normal pattern is to use Kickstarter only to either launch entirely new products, or to do products they think might not have the sales volume for regular retail release.

Continue reprinting old models with new paintschemes, but do Series 10 as a KS.

Also, reprint the starter box with 4 new paintschemes!

Perhaps we ought to consider this from a different direction. Which new planes are going to need new manoeuvre decks? Which new planes will use existing decks? If the Sopwith Dolphin will use the N deck, then they are currently available in the S.E.5a boxes. If the Sopwith Pup will use the D deck (or a modified D deck with a 90 degree left turn, as some have suggested), there are plenty of D decks around. The unofficial Stats Committee gave the Ansaldo A.1 and SVA5 the A deck, which again is freely available.

Which new planes, will give us new manoeuvre decks?

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    ...Which new planes, will give us new manoeuvre decks?
    How would we know which new planes will give us new manoeuvre decks - or what they are ??
    All unofficial aircraft listed are given available decks, though they may change if a new deck appears (eg J* for V). There is one slot for a new deck - the Z deck - unless they go with a reprint deck like the Fr deck where there's change to the speed of a deck & add/remove steep markers; there's a few they could do that with still, or, just change an existing deck like they did with the R deck ... they added broad non steep side slips for those that missed it.
    We have no official models using the G deck currently so there's a few in the list that could be used for that, FE2; DFW C.V for example, otherwise, except for a few, selecting by deck is guesswork.
    Last edited by flash; 05-23-2020 at 14:01.

"He is wise who watches"

David and Dave,

I agree! I have to admit. I bought a bunch of Se5a just for the N decks. Thats why I wish I could just buy the decks. Or a PDF and print my own.

Quote Originally Posted by camelbeagle View Post
    David and Dave,

I agree! I have to admit. I bought a bunch of Se5a just for the N decks. Thats why I wish I could just buy the decks. Or a PDF and print my own.
    I've scanned them and have printed my own sets for my Shapeways Dolphins. Making your own decks is possible.

Well, if I had a scanner that would work. Probably should look into getting a new printer anyways.

If you need a deck scan PM me your email address and I can send it to you.

But then that eliminates incentive to buy THEIR minis, if you can print-on-demand between PDF and Shapeways... no sales = no revenue = no new minis = Dead Like Nexus.
    I heavily use Shapeways and print my own cards. I don't wait for ARES to make what I want but I also will buy every ARES plane to support them.

Without their keeping the game alive we sadly will watch our game fade away. We appreciate your efforts to help trying to steer ARES for future releases.

I may not be a neutral observer, but I've heard this argument and I don't believe it. The game will fade much quicker because players cannot get the planes and balloons they want.

The vast majority of players do not want to go through the work of prepping and painting Shapeways planes. And where I or other designers sell a plane that Ares/Nexus has made (at some point), it's almost always because the originals were not readily available, not because the buyer preferred Shapeways over Ares. (Except maybe the Sopwith Triplane!)

On the subject of cards, Ares could use a print-on-demand service like drivethrucards.com and make high-quality maneuver decks available and take most of the profits. And there would be no inventory and distribution overhead. How many of you have a deck with a card missing?

Plus, Ares is free to add their own designs to Shapeways and officially brand them. But I doubt they'd be interested -- there aren't enough sales there for corporation-level investment.

Daryl, you have some very good points. The main reason I buy any shapeways planes is because either 1. I cannot get the plane. Such as a Fokker DVII or a SPAD VII. The ebay aftermarket is way too much for me. 2. For planes that Ares has not released and most likely will not release. I would gladly buy all Ares products if I could find them in stock.

That’s disappointing to hear that there will not be new minis of previously unreleased aircraft in the WGF line (at least for now). Although, I understand that we are getting down to the nitty-gritty of unreleased aircraft that actually fought with a few exceptions, like the Pup and Dolphin. In my unimportant opinion there are still a couple more series of new aircraft that I feel would be in demand and sell well. I’m not sure if this decision to not produce new minis is related to Covid-19, an uptick in WGS resource allocation, poor sales, or a product encroaching on the end of its life cycle, or something completely unrelated, regardless I find myself really disappointed. I am one of those who has zero interest in purchasing and putting together my own planes, bases, and decks. Not that I don’t enjoy model building and painting etc, but it boils down to time. My hobby time is limited and I would rather be playing than building. Consequently, I rely on Ares to produce the aircraft and game, while my friends, family and I do the playing.

I hope in time Ares reconsiders this decision and we will eventually get some new yet unproduced aircraft. I own multiples of every thing ever produced for Wings of War/Glory for both wars and have zero interest in not making additional purchases in the future. Reprints are fine, but as my allocated storage space continues to fill up, eventually I will need to be more picky on what I buy. There will be a point I don’t need anymore of certain aircraft types regardless of being a new pilot or paint scheme. New product mixed with reprints will keep me buying and likely figuring out how to allocate more space to storage.

As far as London play mats are concerned, I just have to ask what’s taking so long? They are useful in both Wars. My paper mats are about worn out. (I suppose I can laminate them, but I hate having to store them flat) I would have thought with the WGS focus on BoB the last few years that a London rubber mat would have been a top priority.

Quote Originally Posted by P-51D
    My paper mats are about worn out. (I suppose I can laminate them, but I hate having to store them flat) I would have thought with the WGS focus on BoB the last few years that a London rubber mat would have been a top priority.
    And a Dalek would respond:
    lam-in-ate! lam-in-ate! lam-in-ate!

It’s simply not convenient for me since a laminated mat needs to be laid flat or rolled. Rolled laminated mats then require weights on the edges to lay flat. No thanks �� I also don’t have a good spot to store the mats flat����*♂️. I know, I am an exception.

Oberleutnant

Users Country Flag

Name
    Andreas
    Sorties Flown

Perhaps the "Forum" could make a Kickstarter to raise Money to give it to Ares for making new Planes"...so some Kind of "Support ks' called "help to keep Ares Wings of glory alive"

I'd love to see an LVG CVI, their crews were issued with heated flying suits and parachutes!

Also, it would be cool to fly a Vickers Vimy over sossions.

I think if the game has gone west in terms of new aircraft and reprinting old ones, it's a real shame. If you've just got into it, or a numpty like me whoes got back into it, finding planes is tricky. My kids love it as it's a great easy access game with hidden depth.

My vote is still for a Pup, FE2, BE2 and Fokker DII

Just to put my two pennyworth on the plate I'm with Clipper on most of this. Ares is a small company and interested in lots of other games. Their focus must be on survival as a business and selling what is cheap to produce and sells well. I symathise with those who cannot or do not wish to paint their own to fill in the gaps, but its a tough business world out there.

However, were Ares ever to produce a new set of aircraft for WW1, I'd love to see a Sopwith Pup included, alongside a DFW CV (just cannot understand why either of those aircraft have never been produced). What ever else would go with them I leave to the experts. You all know a hell of a lot more about the subject than I do.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Missions

1. Partizan 2020 17 May 2020
    By Boney10 in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 07-25-2020, 08:01
  2. The Future of future and past re-prints
    By Gallo Rojo in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-23-2017, 15:12
  3. Future of A-10
    By Dan-Sam in forum PW2: Historical Discussions