Halberstadt D.III, sold on ebay uk today for £100

Name:  £100 Halberstadt D.III.jpg
Views: 676
Size:  43.6 KB

A second one went for £87

Name:  £87 Halberstadt D.III.jpg
Views: 630
Size:  38.3 KB
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

The insanity of what some people will pay never ceases to astound me.

Smile

Unbelievable! More money than sense.

Wow! Someone must have been desperate, or just didn't know what the plane was actually worth

Having seen that I'm now thinking of putting my entire fleet on ebay at inflated prices. I could be a millionaire in no time!

I wonder what the opening bids were? Even with these crazy prices, I won't sell my Halberstadt D.III.
    So how many books are in your personal library?

that blows my mind. i remember when you could hardly give them away. wish i wouldve loaded up!

Totally Bonkers !

"He is wise who watches"

God if Tim sees this he must be thinking he could sell up and buy Canada...

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Quote Originally Posted by Hedeby View Post
    God if Tim sees this he must be thinking he could sell up and buy Canada...
    Of course I've seen it!
    I started the thread!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RJG173 View Post
    I wonder what the opening bids were? Even with these crazy prices, I won't sell my Halberstadt D.III.
    Start bid £9.99

I found a box full of Halberstadt D.IIIs when I was tidying away my X-wing collection - I'm giving serious thought to selling some when the pandemic is over...…………..

Darn..... Makes you ponder how much you like certain planes that is for sure. Should I play with it or sell it?

Crazy.
    I bought several more Halb D.III in the last year, paying between $10 and $15 for them.

Ares should stick it to these idiots and re-release them pronto.

Totally agree

Quote Originally Posted by Future Pilot View Post
    Wow! Someone must have been desperate, or just didn't know what the plane was actually worth
    Some vendors are ramping up the prices, too.

One ebay private seller has listed a pair of Dauntless minis as "RRP £45 EACH", asking £30 starting price, or £50 Buy It Now.
    I messaged her, telling her the actual RRP of £17, and she replied that she had "done her research, and £45 was the correct rate based on toy retailers other than ebay"

I messaged again, informing her that her listing was legally inaccurate and misleading; gave her "Entoyment", "Gameslore", "Gamesquest" prices, and she simply ignored me.
    They minis have failed to sell - no bidders. What a surprise. I hope she's being charged for the listing, and is actually LOSING money!

Should be some mechanism to let ebay know that illegal information is being disseminated by her Tim. That should put the wind up her!
    Rob.

"Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Users Country Flag

Name
    Gareth
    Sorties Flown

Default Grammar corr ction

Idiot is a strong and perhaps offensive thing to say. Is the real idiot is someone who wanted a sought after model but wouldn’t buy it?

This person who paid £100 has what he or she clearly really wanted and I’m sure they are delighted. I’ve paid “good money” for a few rare planes but I confess £100 would be more than I could justify. If I wanted that DIII and was prepared to to pay £100 then I’d be a satisfied collector or enthusiast not an idiot.

Oh, my DIII cost me what I consider an arm and a leg but I love this game and I’m very happy to have it. (Over £40 but less than £100)

Delighted to be part of this special community. What a wonderful game we have in Wings.
    Last edited by Gareth; 04-05-2020 at 07:21. Reason: Spelling

It is indeed an unfortunate habit humans have to judge others. What motivates us to collect in the first place is a slippery slope. The desire to have can quickly consume us add some jealousy, market pressures urgency, rarity, diminishing chance of availability and finality of source production add up to a powerful motivator. I have been on the sad receivership of several dream collections of fans whose collections out lasted them, and some who lost interest in the quest. I have a new obsession of distributing them to seekers. This I find is even more rewarding than acquiring. Let me know your quest . . . and welcome to our fellowship Gareth! Enjoy!

I have the £100! Halberstadt as well, but without original box and packaging, so I suppose I must wait before I'm on The Rich List. As a collector, though, it has me wondering if there is a price guide or rarity guide to the older WW1 models? Has anybody seen or created such a thing? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth View Post
    Idiot is a strong and perhaps offensive thing to say. Is the real idiot is someone who wanted a sought after model but wouldn’t buy it?

This person who paid £100 has what he or she clearly really wanted and I’m sure they are delighted. I’ve paid “good money” for a few rare planes but I confess £100 would be more than I could justify. If I wanted that DIII and was prepared to to pay £100 then I’d be a satisfied collector or enthusiast not an idiot.

Oh, my DIII cost me what I consider an arm and a leg but I love this game and I’m very happy to have it. (Over £40 but less than £100)

Delighted to be part of this special community. What a wonderful game we have in Wings.
    I totally agree with Gareth. If I had discovered this game sooner, like many of our Aerodrome members, I probably would've purchased multiples of each model when they were plentiful and affordable. But, since I was late in discovering this wonderful game, I understand that I will more than likely never own some of the earlier models. But I continue to keep searching for the few models that I am missing. I keep making futile bids (of more money than I feel comfortable with paying) on those eBay auctions. Occasionally I luck out and find one that's missing from my used rag-tag collection. And when I buy it, I quickly turn into an excited giggling young child. Since I collect them to enjoy them on the gaming table, I don't need untouched new in an unopened box models. I only desire to own one copy of each. I realize that as I get closer to completing my collection, I may be more willing to bump up my bids, and become one of those "idiots" actively competing in those outlandish eBay auctions.

Quote Originally Posted by abovetheclouds View Post
    I totally agree with Gareth. If I had discovered this game sooner, like many of our Aerodrome members, I probably would've purchased multiples of each model when they were plentiful and affordable. But, since I was late in discovering this wonderful game, I understand that I will more than likely never own some of the earlier models. But I continue to keep searching for the few models that I am missing. I keep making futile bids (of more money than I feel comfortable with paying) on those eBay auctions. Occasionally I luck out and find one that's missing from my used rag-tag collection. And when I buy it, I quickly turn into an excited giggling young child. Since I collect them to enjoy them on the gaming table, I don't need untouched new in an unopened box models. I only desire to own one copy of each. I realize that as I get closer to completing my collection, I may be more willing to bump up my bids, and become one of those "idiots" actively competing in those outlandish eBay auctions.
    I feel your pain, Paul. It's tough finding some of the models, hence the dozens of questions per month about Ares reprints. I chased some items down on eBay the last couple of weeks, and some for repaints. Trying to get some shapeways stuff going for early war to plug the gaps. I was able to snag a Halberstadt D.III, more than I'd prefer to pay but seems like a bargain now lol.

Name:  ebaypurch.jpg
Views: 528
Size:  26.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by SOPWITHCAMEL View Post
    As a collector, though, it has me wondering if there is a price guide or rarity guide to the older WW1 models? Has anybody seen or created such a thing? Thanks.
    I'm not aware of such a thing.

For Rarity, you'd need access to the production totals, and I've never heard of anyone saying they have such access.

As for pricing, there are too many variables to allow for the compilation of an accurate estimate.

For Example:
    two collectors, A and B, both chasing the same mini on ebay.
    seller C has two such identical minis.

If C lists just one, A and B will fight for it, raising the price again and again and again, and it will sell for £100 to A.
    Then C, thinking he'll get another £100, lists mini #2
    A doesn't bid (he's already got one), so B bids, against no opposition, and mini #2 sells for £10!

If C lists both simultaneously, A and B will quickly figure out that one can bid on the first, and the other on the second, and they will both sell for around £20 each, after initial conflicting bids.

Two identical minis, sold within a 10 day window, with prices ranging from £100 down to £10, depending on listing pattern.
    Which is the "correct" price?

I trawl ebay every day, often twice or three times a day, and so recognize selling patterns, buying patterns, and can even work out members' bidding patterns!
    I have seen months go by without a major selling push by anyone, and I have taken advantage of unfortunately-timed listings of collections, listed immediately after other multi-plane collections, which all sell for very low prices (the conflicting bidders having exhausted themselves on the earlier listings). It is just not possible to fix an "expected" price on an OOP mini.

I seem to recollect a couple of weeks ago someone was trying to swap his Halberstadts for a pack of toilet paper.

Oberleutnant

Users Country Flag

Name
    Andreas
    Sorties Flown

Since December I crawl Ebay nearly every day and there a somie huge different Prices for the same mini. I think most luck is when someone offers a rare plane for a fix Price and you get your Hands on quick enough.

The sad Thing is, that the game seems to be not very popular in Germany...because of the shadow of the WW2 the aera is more popular.

Perhaps someone can give me Feedback about the eBay-search.

1. I can search eBay.de with the Option "Location worldwide". But it seems that I dont get all the hits.

For example I searched eBay.fr and found a D.VII schaefer which was not listed in my eBay.de search with "wordwide" Option. Same experience with eBay.it and eBay.es and eBay.co.uk.

So it takes a lot more time to search the different Country eBay. Same experience someone?

2. Next ist i search for "wings of glory" and "wings of war". With wings of war I have the Problem that most of the stuff is X-wing/Star wars stuff so it is really hard to filter.

Any ideas to Limit the search?

3. For the rarity there are some planes I cant explane why they are so rare. Triplanes (last got away for around 150,00) and Airco DH.2 (about 100,00) I can understand.

But for example, since december I didnt see any Wings of War - Pfalz D.III - Klein.....so is it "super rare" or just nobody is selling?

Quote Originally Posted by Alfgard View Post
    ... 2. Next ist i search for "wings of glory" and "wings of war". With wings of war I have the Problem that most of the stuff is X-wing/Star wars stuff so it is really hard to filter. Any ideas to Limit the search?
    add WW1 to the line & you should lose the SW stuff.

...3. For the rarity there are some planes I cant explane why they are so rare... for example, since december I didnt see any Wings of War - Pfalz D.III - Klein.....so is it "super rare" or just nobody is selling?
    The Pfalz D.III/a was released 10 years ago by Nexus and those air frames were not repeated until last year by Ares who did not reprint Klein so there should be no wonder it's rare, collectors will hang on to them, players the same.

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    I'm not aware of such a thing.

For Rarity, you'd need access to the production totals, and I've never heard of anyone saying they have such access.

As for pricing, there are too many variables to allow for the compilation of an accurate estimate.

For Example:
    two collectors, A and B, both chasing the same mini on ebay.
    seller C has two such identical minis.

If C lists just one, A and B will fight for it, raising the price again and again and again, and it will sell for £100 to A.
    Then C, thinking he'll get another £100, lists mini #2
    A doesn't bid (he's already got one), so B bids, against no opposition, and mini #2 sells for £10!

If C lists both simultaneously, A and B will quickly figure out that one can bid on the first, and the other on the second, and they will both sell for around £20 each, after initial conflicting bids.

Two identical minis, sold within a 10 day window, with prices ranging from £100 down to £10, depending on listing pattern.
    Which is the "correct" price?

I trawl ebay every day, often twice or three times a day, and so recognize selling patterns, buying patterns, and can even work out members' bidding patterns!
    I have seen months go by without a major selling push by anyone, and I have taken advantage of unfortunately-timed listings of collections, listed immediately after other multi-plane collections, which all sell for very low prices (the conflicting bidders having exhausted themselves on the earlier listings). It is just not possible to fix an "expected" price on an OOP mini.
    Like you, I also trawl eBay every day but my interests are perhaps wider than yours. I am a wargamer and toy soldier collector with an eBay shop and I buy large collections of all types here in the UK, including the occasional collection of WoW/WoG if I am lucky. You are quite correct about the vagaries of auctions and the psychology behind it, but if you look at medium and long-term records it is possible to gauge 'values' and rarity. There is a guy on Boardgamegeek, for example, who is a true fanatic about a pirate game which is not dissimilar to WoW in terms of gameplay complexity and collectability of the components. He is nuts about this game and this game only (I mean this in a nice way). He collects, photographs and videos his collection, posts, devises scenarios, stages massive battles, draws up detailed spreadsheets of sales figures, keeps tabs on what comes up for sale etc. This is partly what prompted my initial response to this thread about the availability of a price/rarity 'guide' of some kind because two things occurred to me: 1) the sheer depth of knowledge and experience of many people right here on this excellent website about the game and the planes (and no small amount of friendliness and willingness to help) and 2) the sheer quality and collectability of the model planes themselves. I would go as far as to say (and this may not be popular) that the game would be very average without the excellent planes.

i've just seen two WoG aircraft on ebay, a Beaufighter and an Albatros C III, both up for £150.00 each Buy it now and from the USA. the only saving grace is that it offers Free Postage from outside the UK!
    Now I don't really mind people chancing thier arm, I mean if there is someone out there willing to pay that price OK. What has really annoyed me with this one (two) is the blatant misrepresentation and the lies. His description for both says, and I quote, "RRP £203.0
    26% off £150.00 Buy it now". This is not only a lie but it does break ebay rules (look'em up) and I am so annoyed that I have reported him to ebay earlier today. Disappointingly these items are still up on the site. How long does it take ebay to jump into gear I wonder? Still it's only been 4.1/2 hours so perhaps I'm hoping for too much!

I think you did the right thing. When I first got involved with eBay many years ago it was very different from how it is now - it was open, transparent and reasonable towards both buyers and sellers. Not so these days. The only time I made a similar complaint was when a seller used the photographs I had taken to sell his own item. I would be interested to know if you find out, but I think it is most unlikely. However, his blatant misrepresentation is unlikely to fool anyone.

ebay probably won't punish him, or remove the listing - they're too dependant on his money!

Multi-sellers like him feed HUGE listing fees into the ebay sites, so they let him get away with it!

As you all said, blatantly the RRP (set by the manufacturer, not the vendor!) is nowhere near £200+ - but I bet ebay does nothing at all

I think you did the right thing. When I first got involved with eBay many years ago it was very different from how it is now - it was open, transparent and reasonable towards both buyers and sellers. Not so these days. The only time I made a similar complaint was when a seller used the photographs I had taken to sell his own item. I would be interested to know if you find out, but I think it is most unlikely. However, his blatant misrepresentation is unlikely to fool anyone.
    I'd love to tell you the outcome but ebay say they will not give me that info. I will keep looking at the planes to see if they disappear.

Like you, I also trawl eBay every day but my interests are perhaps wider than yours. I am a wargamer and toy soldier collector with an eBay shop and I buy large collections of all types here in the UK, including the occasional collection of WoW/WoG if I am lucky. You are quite correct about the vagaries of auctions and the psychology behind it, but if you look at medium and long-term records it is possible to gauge 'values' and rarity. There is a guy on Boardgamegeek, for example, who is a true fanatic about a pirate game which is not dissimilar to WoW in terms of gameplay complexity and collectability of the components. He is nuts about this game and this game only (I mean this in a nice way). He collects, photographs and videos his collection, posts, devises scenarios, stages massive battles, draws up detailed spreadsheets of sales figures, keeps tabs on what comes up for sale etc. This is partly what prompted my initial response to this thread about the availability of a price/rarity 'guide' of some kind because two things occurred to me: 1) the sheer depth of knowledge and experience of many people right here on this excellent website about the game and the planes (and no small amount of friendliness and willingness to help) and 2) the sheer quality and collectability of the model planes themselves. I would go as far as to say (and this may not be popular) that the game would be very average without the excellent planes.
    My interests ARE as wide as yours! (minus the shop)
    When my Topcashback yearly summary came in, and I saw how much I had spent on ebay in 12 months, I needed several stiff drinks!
    I have never sold even a single item on ebay, but my Star Rating is over 3000!
    That speaks volumes.

I do have "medium and long-term records" - my ebay "bought" list goes back to 2003! In all that time I have seen the Wings prices fluctuate, high and low, with few discernible patterns (one exception being the 'Bishop' SE5a, never selling for under £70, but now, after the reprint, a £34 "Buy it Now" hasn't sold in 6 weeks).

What I don't have is Time (or inclination!) to attempt to put together a "Pirate-Dude-style" spreadsheet; I'm still working full-time, and have well over 500 planes to paint/repaint, plus thousands of figures, hundreds of spaceships, 300+ 1/700 ship kits to build and paint, and several entire towns/villages in various scales to assemble and paint - and that's just the beginning! I'm a hopeless case.
    When I retire I hope to accelerate production, but I know I'll never finish even 1/3 of that lot, probably not even 1/10

"Rarity" is subjective - I've seen dozens of posts from folks who say "I've never seen a 'Brumowski' Alb. D.III. Lots of folks say this is the only plane missing from their collections.
    I never had any trouble finding them, and never paid more than either of the other two D.IIIs prices from the same Series. At one stage I had 12 of them! Since then I have "re-distributed" most to 'Dromers in Need.

I'm entirely in agreement with you about the friendliness, helpfulness and knowledge of the folks on this site; 7 years ago I could only name Manfred von Richthofen, Captain Roy Brown and Herman Goering as WW1 pilots.............3 then, dozens and dozens now (and minis to accompany the names!).

Long may it continue.

Name:  <acronym title=wog.jpg Views: 469 Size: 20.0 KB" style="float: CONFIG" />

Since December I crawl Ebay nearly every day and there a somie huge different Prices for the same mini. I think most luck is when someone offers a rare plane for a fix Price and you get your Hands on quick enough.

The sad Thing is, that the game seems to be not very popular in Germany...because of the shadow of the WW2 the aera is more popular.

Perhaps someone can give me Feedback about the eBay-search.

1. I can search eBay.de with the Option "Location worldwide". But it seems that I dont get all the hits.

For example I searched eBay.fr and found a D.VII schaefer which was not listed in my eBay.de search with "wordwide" Option. Same experience with eBay.it and eBay.es and eBay.co.uk.

So it takes a lot more time to search the different Country eBay. Same experience someone?

2. Next ist i search for "wings of glory" and "wings of war". With wings of war I have the Problem that most of the stuff is X-wing/Star wars stuff so it is really hard to filter.

Any ideas to Limit the search?

3. For the rarity there are some planes I cant explane why they are so rare. Triplanes (last got away for around 150,00) and Airco DH.2 (about 100,00) I can understand.

But for example, since december I didnt see any Wings of War - Pfalz D.III - Klein.....so is it "super rare" or just nobody is selling?
    The key to powerful searches is EBay’s Advanced Search and Save Search options. To the right of the search button is advanced search. Here you can not only add words to search for, but also add words to exclude. If I just want to find Fokker D.VIIs, I might have one search for Wings of War Fokker D.VII and another for Wings of Glory Fokker D.VII. This will STILL result in too much garbage, so I’ll exclude the words triplane, WW2, Kempf, D.III, Richthofen, etc. the list of words to exclude can be very long. Every time you see a search result you don’t want, add that word to your exclude list. Then SAVE the search so you don’t have to re-type anything. You can edit saved searches too. Finally, you can change the Location setting to Worldwide and search all countries at once. You can even have a saved search email you search results once per day. Very powerful stuff.

Though if a seller does not specifically indicate they will ship to your country, I don’t think a search will include their item. For instance, if a seller in France doesn’t indicate they will ship to Germany, then I don’t think your search would include their item even if you did indicate Location = Worldwide in your search.
    Last edited by Von Scharf; 05-20-2020 at 20:29.

Quote Originally Posted by alpine View Post
    Name:  <acronym title=wog.jpg Views: 469 Size: 20.0 KB" style="float: CONFIG" />

Ouch! I think I'll stick with the card from the Famous Aces pack...

Oberleutnant

Users Country Flag

Name
    Andreas
    Sorties Flown

There was also a Fokker Kirschstein for 100,00 from the same seller.

More than once I've thought of selling off my collection to eBay. I'm still hanging on to them. I've seen some crazy things and not just out of print Wings of Glory items. Kickstarter things before they come out, etc. I even saw X-Wing: TIE Interceptor selling for over 60 USD even though it was scheduled for a reprint in a month and the seller sold several. The Cool Stuff and Miniature Market price was only 11 USD.

Buyer beware and... be and educated consumer I guess is a good motto.
    Last edited by Ken at Sunrise; 05-21-2020 at 11:15. Reason: spell'in

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    I'd love to tell you the outcome but ebay say they will not give me that info. I will keep looking at the planes to see if they disappear.
    48 hours now and items still on ebay unaltered in any way. Bloody disgrace!

Oberleutnant

Users Country Flag

Name
    Andreas
    Sorties Flown

And we have a new one: Stark (the auction before, I think in march, it was at about "just" 90,00):

Name:  <acronym title=WoW.jpg Views: 439 Size: 55.1 KB" style="float: CONFIG" />

Users Country Flag

Name
    Gareth
    Sorties Flown

So many interesting comments here, yes I also find eBay challenging or frustrating sometimes, but I also really enjoy the daily trawl and excitement as I’ve built my compulsive collection. I’ve also giggled with excitement as well as my friend who commented above when I’ve nabbed a sought after plane.

Ebay is so fickle. Timing is everything. Sometimes you can sneak in a great deal. Other times we see whats going on above.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    Ebay is so fickle. Timing is everything. Sometimes you can sneak in a great deal. Other times we see whats going on above.
    Spot on.

Shortly after I joined the'Drome, back in 2013/2014 I once logged on, looked at "Newly Listed" 'Wings of War', and found a job lot consisting of:

1 Bishop SE5a and 4 Pfalz D.III, plus an 'A' damage deck, 2 range rulers and a set of Ace cards, listed @ £20 Buy It Now!
    I "bought it now" - well, Bishops were going for £50+, and Pfalzes couldn't be found anywhere.

On the other side of the coin, I once went more than an entire month without making a single ebay purchase.

Forrest Gump was right - "You never know what you're gonna get"

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    On the other side of the coin, I once went more than an entire month without making a single ebay purchase.
    whoa, were you hospitalized?!

Quote Originally Posted by malachi View Post
    whoa, were you hospitalized?!

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post

and it seems to by cyclic. i notice that with militaria anyway. seems like things will sell for big prices for awhile, then itll depress for a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    i've just seen two WoG aircraft on ebay, a Beaufighter and an Albatros C III, both up for £150.00 each Buy it now and from the USA. the only saving grace is that it offers Free Postage from outside the UK!
    Now I don't really mind people chancing thier arm, I mean if there is someone out there willing to pay that price OK. What has really annoyed me with this one (two) is the blatant misrepresentation and the lies. His description for both says, and I quote, "RRP £203.0
    26% off £150.00 Buy it now". This is not only a lie but it does break ebay rules (look'em up) and I am so annoyed that I have reported him to ebay earlier today. Disappointingly these items are still up on the site. How long does it take ebay to jump into gear I wonder? Still it's only been 4.1/2 hours so perhaps I'm hoping for too much!

i see quite a few sellers asking ridicules prices on ebay. some seem to have no shame.

Oberleutnant

Users Country Flag

Name
    Andreas
    Sorties Flown

Again:
    Name:  Screenshot_20200629-174828.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  61.5 KB

Oberleutnant

Users Country Flag

Name
    Andreas
    Sorties Flown

Name:  Screenshot_20200629-175549.jpg
Views: 411
Size:  48.3 KB

If I ever do sell my collection, at least I know I can put it toward my retirement. I wonder what it would be worth?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. The Latest on Doc
    By somaliavet in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-08-2016, 18:43
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-05-2016, 19:40
  3. Latest duo
    By Boney10 in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 01-09-2015, 13:41
  4. 2013 Origins member's tribute to 2014 member one
    By Nightbomber in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-07-2014, 08:37
  5. Getting the club member's to try Wings.
    By monty's double in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 09-21-2013, 13:24