Ares Games
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Operation Shut in

Default Operation Shut in

OK, with the virus on the loose most of us are going to have to deal with a lock down. This means lots of spare time on our hands for the next few weeks to 3 months. Rather then sitting there staring at the walls lets get creative with this gift of spare time.

Rules are simple.....

Post pics of your locked down projects for us to all see and comment on.
    The project has to be something you at least have been thinking about for a while, or old stuff in a closet you never got around to.
    The project has to be yours or for your household, club, ect. No commission projects are allowed (I will post those in the monthly thread)
    The project DOES NOT have to be hobby/Wings/Model related. It could be a new deck, assembling the crates of M4 Sherman parts in the garage, new hobby room, and the like.

The operation will end when the bug is defeated and our lives get back to normal (Normal being a questionable term for our lot)

I will start off the Operation below.

OK, for my bit I have been gathering Black Seas ships and stacking them to the side for months. I had finished a small fleet of Spanish and French ships for starter forces. Each side had 1 SOL 3, 2 Frigates, and 4 Brigs.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_6757.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	107.6 KB 
ID:	283803Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_6905.jpg 
Size:	161.9 KB 
ID:	283804

Now I have a bucketload of extra ships assembled, Primed, and ready to paint,
    Most are an English fleet with named SOL 1's for the French and Spanish

Name:	100_6932.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	112.5 KB 
ID:	283805Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_6934.jpg 
Size:	99.0 KB 
ID:	283806

Yep, that is 6 Brigs, 3 Frigates, 4 SOL 3's, and 5 SOL 1's, and a gunboat base not in the pics.
    Plan is to paint, rope, rig them, and finish the bases. Wish me luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    OK, for my bit I have been gathering Black Seas ships and stacking them to the side for months. I had finished a small fleet of Spanish and French ships for starter forces. Each side had 1 SOL 3, 2 Frigates, and 4 Brigs.

Name:	100_6757.jpg 
Size:	107.6 KB 
ID:	283803Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_6905.jpg 
Size:	161.9 KB 
ID:	283804

Now I have a bucketload of extra ships assembled, Primed, and ready to paint,
    Most are an English fleet with named SOL 1's for the French and Spanish

Name:	100_6932.jpg 
Size:	112.5 KB 
ID:	283805Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_6934.jpg 
Size:	99.0 KB 
ID:	283806

Yep, that is 6 Brigs, 3 Frigates, 4 SOL 3's, and 5 SOL 1's, and a gunboat base not in the pics.
    Plan is to paint, rope, rig them, and finish the bases. Wish me luck.
    You sure 3 months is long enough?

That's some line up of ship you have to do. Very expensive also.

Trick is I order the ships from NWS, He tends to be like 30% off retail. I also get a 20% off deal from the FLGS when I buy off the shelf. Full blown retail of like $20 USD for a single sprue with one ship is unreal even with the extras. Their ships of Renown serious with 3 plastic sprues for $80 USD is even more absurd, but the stern plates and figureheads for specific ships are too tempting to pass up. Really wish they would do packs of all the ships of certain naval battles (16 to 20) and just put in sternplates and figureheads for every ship on both sides and maybe a unique ship for each side. Then add a booklet with all the info on the battle, history of every ship involved, and one or three scenarios for said actions. Maybe even special rules for the captains and Fleet commanders involved. A lot of battles were like 8 ships per side so to do it you would need the box with the 2 flag ships, and 5 SoL 3 boxes.

Reg, got the gunboats done today and the 6 brigs are about halfway painted now. the time issue comes in when it is time to do the rigging....sigh

My project -- aside from the occasional new aeroplane design for Shapeways -- is to go through my old collection of WWI Profile Publication documents and enter relevant data on the Wings of Linen wiki. They were all written in the mid-1960s, and as I go through them, I'm finding some information and data I haven't seen before. And I have new admiration for giants like Jack Bruce and Peter Grosz.

Name:	profilePublications.JPG 
Size:	47.0 KB 
ID:	283813

Never seen those. interesting..

My project is to pick the pen again and resume writing campaigns and scenarios for our role playing group. Especially for my own Vikings setting D&D and for a recently resurrected Dragonlance setting.

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Vikings....Hmmm got the 2nd ed green campaign book around here somewhere. also have Roman one, never got around to getting the Celt one......also have the hardcover 2nd ed book for Dragonlance....sigh...have not looked at that stuff in 20 years

Name:	100_6937.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	114.5 KB 
ID:	283834Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_6938.jpg 
Size:	109.4 KB 
ID:	283835Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_6942.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	137.9 KB 
ID:	283836Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_6943.jpg 
Size:	124.6 KB 
ID:	283837Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_6944.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	97.9 KB 
ID:	283838
    Last edited by Shadowcat; 03-22-2020 at 09:39.

I'm completing something that my Brother started many years ago. I took a while to find exactly what this was, even Bob was not sure at first, but then we discovered the old Monogram kit online. I have pictures and description of my attempts to finish and add detail to this kit (originally produced starting in 1967). The first 3 photos show the boat as I received it. Bob had done some painting and weathering which I liked and did not change.

Name:	IMG_1593.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	55.3 KB 
ID:	283818 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1594.jpg 
Size:	57.9 KB 
ID:	283819Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1595.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	66.1 KB 
ID:	283820
    After studying pictures of models and archive photos I began to add some olive camo., plus painting guns, drilling out the muzzles etc.

Name:	IMG_1600.jpg 
Size:	77.5 KB 
ID:	283821Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1601.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	81.1 KB 
ID:	283822
    I had one Viet Soldier (trying to get more) that needed completion.

Name:	IMG_1598.jpg 
Size:	66.8 KB 
ID:	283823Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1602.jpg 
Size:	140.8 KB 
ID:	283824
    The RAG (River Assault Group) boats were French/Vietnamese used in the '50s before being replaced by US River Patrol Boats. Some of the painting was challenging (on a model already assembled).

Name:	IMG_1607.jpg 
Size:	79.4 KB 
ID:	283825
    I needed a flag, so the South Vietnamese flag was created from heavy yellow stock, 26 gauge wire and monofilament.

Name:	IMG_1608.jpg 
Size:	113.7 KB 
ID:	283826Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1610.jpg 
Size:	84.7 KB 
ID:	283827
    Rubber grommets for hull bumpers. The roll down canvas has been painted and cleats pin drilled to accept rope ties.

Name:	IMG_1615.jpg 
Size:	87.2 KB 
ID:	283828Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1614.jpg 
Size:	74.6 KB 
ID:	283829Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1617.jpg 
Size:	109.8 KB 
ID:	283830
    I needed some bales for the stern so I tried trimming felt pads, painting and adding some tie downs. I may keep it!

Name:	IMG_1620.jpg 
Size:	86.0 KB 
ID:	283831Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1621.jpg 
Size:	93.0 KB 
ID:	283832Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1622.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	110.5 KB 
ID:	283833
    Now I am in the process of trying to get more crew, guns etc. but it is shaping up

Awesome work as always, Will.
    You and Clipper both show great ingenuity with your creations.

Very nice Will. You all have given me some ideas of some things to do. I have quite a few figures (OLD GLORY 15mm) for the BOXER Rebellion among other figures I could paint.

In some ways, I wish I could be shut-in, so the pile of lead, plastic and resin would get painted.
    Instead, overtime!
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    In some ways, I wish I could be shut-in, so the pile of lead, plastic and resin would get painted.
    Instead, overtime!
    Karl
    What field are you in, Karl, that you are ramping up? Medical? Defense? Just curious, and okay if it is none of my business.

Quote Originally Posted by Von Scharf View Post
    What field are you in, Karl, that you are ramping up? Medical? Defense? Just curious, and okay if it is none of my business.
    Grocery store. Though the last couple of weeks seems like combat, at least melee combat.
    Most customers are calm and understanding, but the few others Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-minigun.gif 
Views:	178 
Size:	1,019 Bytes 
ID:	283873
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Keep safe Karl, there are a lot of idiots out there behind the curve looking to blame others for their lack of Situational Awareness.

Instead, overtime!
    Karl
    We're in the middle of moving house so all our possessions are in storage. I have minimal painting ability and no access to everything I'd love to have so I could be productive. Very frustrating.

Making some extra money isn't a bad thing as long as they don't over work you. Hang in there and stay safe!

Grocery store. Though the last couple of weeks seems like combat, at least melee combat.
    Most customers are calm and understanding, but the few others Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-minigun.gif 
Views:	178 
Size:	1,019 Bytes 
ID:	283873
    Karl
    Ah, that makes a lot sense. Echoing Shadowcat... your safety first. I’m afraid that when people can no longer make house payments, rent, or secure food... it might get decidedly less friendly out there. I sincerely hope I’m wrong on this...

I'd love to pay "Shut In" but I'm under obligation to keep going in to Work - hours may well be increasing shortly.

I'll gaze upon all your wonderful projects with extreme jealousy!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Jeff, I hope you are wrong also. Keep in mind I live just north of Detroit. Good thing is the home is well defended. Bad thing is the some are prone to riot when they run out of gimmees.

Jeff, I hope you are wrong also. Keep in mind I live just north of Detroit. Good thing is the home is well defended. Bad thing is the some are prone to riot when they run out of gimmees.
    Sounds like you need my supply locker... LOL

His & Hers set:

Top half of the M4 is on its way to a gunsmith for pin-and-weld on the flash hider then all that's left once it arrives is getting the Aimpoint.

Her C8A3 assembled. (Other than omitting light, laser and optic.) Recoil pads on the way from a shop in the UK; application of correct green to the furniture is waiting for my local gunsmith to get back to me about when and how much.
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

I collect WWII era rifles for the most part and never got into the AR game Not to say I do not have some 7.62 x 39 chewers around. Load my own for the bolt stuff, ever try to purchase the oddball stuff like 7.7 Jap (I resize 30-06), 6.5 Jap, 7.35 Carcano, 303 Brit, or 8mm mauser? OK 8mm and 303 I used to grab at gun shows but was corrosive Berdan stuff. Fortunatly 7.62x 54 and 7.62 x 39 used to thrive in cheap bulk back in the late 90's so grabbed a few spam cans back then (still sealed). Ain't shot in like 15 years but still take everything out and clean and lube it once a year. Got half a dozen handguns around also Mostly 45 ACP, 45 Colt, and 38/357.

I'm personally partial to WWII myself, but my stubby little arms and lack of pectoral muscle are not exactly conducive to Garands--I don't like AR's myself, my appreciation for them is almost purely functional. (The C8, while a bit more of a unicorn, was a bit of a special build in deference to my gal's Canadian heritage and the Umbrella Corporation lower receiver was a personal touch since she's a huge Resident Evil fan.)
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

The Garand is a beast I will admit and the En block clip takes getting used to (don't call em thumb chewers for no reason). But the weight does reduce the recoil a bit. Prefer the bolts like Mausers, Springfields, and Nagants. Carbines feel more like a toy or ladies rifle and the round is weaker then some of my pistol calibers. Enfields are different enough to classify as their own though.

On that note will back off on gun talk though your project does qualify under my rules. I just do not want to annoy our other board members who are not into the hobby.

A few interesting things unboxed in my deep shut in project . . what have I got?

Name:	20170708_141350.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	117.3 KB 
ID:	283977

1865 cap and ball officer's Colt pistol-firing replica, belongs to Mrs Clipper from my dad's collection . . . The third one down is a gambler boot pistol he built using the last 6" off a 32 Winchester he passed to me from his dad who ran cattle before WWI . . .

Name:	20170701_080209.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	132.6 KB 
ID:	283978

Is the Ruger a Black hawk?,,,not sure if it is a 44 mag or 357 (Red hawk??). Not sure if the top one is a Webly (no hammer though) or a Nagant. And have a rep 44 cap and ball Navy but will not shoot it anymore. Was black powder deer hunting 15 to 20 years ago and carried one loaded as a back up for 2 days. Just at dusk the last night I went to unload it in a noisy way and held it out one handed at arms length wearing gloves and pulled the trigger....well to make a scary story short I had not checked to see if the caps had fallen off over the course of 2 days and it was a bit louder then normal when it went bang. That happens when 3 cylinders gang fire at the same time; One round went down the barrel, one went out of the cylinder next to the barrel, and the third round hit the frame below the barrel and stopped. I was fine, singed glove and shocked looks from me and my 2 hunting partners but no one hurt. I had loaded the cylinders with min charges as is my practice so the gun was not damaged but still, have not fired it since then. Even have the ball around here someplace, The front is a little flat where it hit the frame and the back is half eroded away where the gases vented around the ball escaping the cylinder.

Sometimes dumb luck can overcome the poorest of planning

I had a .310 Martini rifle about 50 years ago. My friends and I were into single shot guns. Now with our very strict firearms laws very few Aussies own any firearms.

Digressing from topic ..... my project is to get a grease pen ship mat printed and laminated for each ship in my Sails of Glory fleet. Then look at playing some solo games of WoG and SoG.
    Last edited by Baxter; 03-25-2020 at 20:43.

Glad to see Clipper has rejoined the flight but need to get back on course myself. Have all 6 brigs painted and should finish the 3 frigates tomorrow. Need to decide weather to rig em or do the SOL's next before spending a month with thread and sails. either way will try and get some pics up soon.

Vikings....Hmmm got the 2nd ed green campaign book around here somewhere. also have Roman one, never got around to getting the Celt one......also have the hardcover 2nd ed book for Dragonlance....sigh...have not looked at that stuff in 20 years

Name:	100_6937.jpg 
Size:	114.5 KB 
ID:	283834Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_6938.jpg 
Size:	109.4 KB 
ID:	283835Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_6942.jpg 
Size:	137.9 KB 
ID:	283836Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_6943.jpg 
Size:	124.6 KB 
ID:	283837Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_6944.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	97.9 KB 
ID:	283838
    Wow that’s some bookshelf... very jealous

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Only been collecting those books (and that ain't all) since the late 70's Have like every Dragon Mag from late 20's up through at least 200 including 5 compilations. litterly 100's of pounds of lead figs (old Greyhawk line, Ral Partha, Grenadier, and god knows what else) and the like. Used to be pres of a very large gaming group with 40 or 50 members back in the early 80's, Also used to play at the Judges guild store/HQ an Old School in Decatur Ill in like 80/81 before I moved to the Detroit area, Yeh, was a DM for 30 years till I retired about 2005 or so. Have every LBB and most expansions for Traveller also and used to be very active on COTI their website. I was a heavy role player till the mid 80's when I got into the SCA. Then rolling dice got a bit boring when I could strap on armor and go whack someone in person so backed off a lot. Now looking at shelves of old game books and realized I am retired from heavy fighting and only merchant once a year at my LARP so thinking maybe I should start up a group again...but not till the plague is over.

I've been working on my vintage 25mm Napoleonics, finally completing the Prussian 3rd Brigade and the corps cavalry of III Korps, in post-Armistice 1813.

Name:	4th_Neumark_LW_Cav.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	50.0 KB 
ID:	283982

You can see more of them at: http://colcampbellbarracks.blogspot....s-cavalry.html

Jim

Good painting, Jim!

Nice nappys, I remember when it was Minifigs, TTG, Jacobite,and a few other all the same poses packs. Then Old Glory came out with the 100 figs for $12.50 and most had at least 30 to 40 different sculpts and some flavor figs also. Have the old French Marshall pack with the carriage, named officers, and for flavor threw in the Marshall Dillion figure from Gunsmoke.

I'm still trying to finish my Bread and circus mobs and fighters that have been on my bench for far too long but with the advancing arthritis and the recently developed tremor every time I paint something I go over what I've already painted. So it's developed into a merry-go-round. Such is life!!!

Hmmmm...looking on my painting table and found some actual airplanes!!! Couple of Me 262's, a Defiant, and a Betty.....hmmm

Might be sort of silly for me to paint AIRPLANES on this website for a change...

... and for flavor threw in the Marshall Dillion figure from Gunsmoke.

Currently working on my book catalog on LibraryThing.com making sure I have high resolution covers for all my books and magazines. I thought I would tackle my Windsock Datafiles first.
    So how many books are in your personal library?

Nice nappys, I remember when it was Minifigs, TTG, Jacobite,and a few other all the same poses packs. Then Old Glory came out with the 100 figs for $12.50 and most had at least 30 to 40 different sculpts and some flavor figs also. Have the old French Marshall pack with the carriage, named officers, and for flavor threw in the Marshall Dillion figure from Gunsmoke.
    Oh may, Jacobites, I remember them. I bought a Russian Corp pack unseen, what a mistake! They looked like they were all related to ET. One pose infantry and the size of their heads and shakos was , hmmmm, interesting. They were my Big Head Corp. I should have stuck with Minifigs! Thank goodness Old Glory came in to save the day.

Quote Originally Posted by RJG173 View Post
    Currently working on my book catalog on LibraryThing.com making sure I have high resolution covers for all my books and magazines. I thought I would tackle my Windsock Datafiles first.
    Wow, that sounds like a great project. I've thought of cataloging my library but always seem to put it off.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    I've thought of cataloging my library but always seem to put it off.
    I started a database for my books back in 1994 when I almost lost everything to an apartment fire (Thank God for firewalls)
    I ended up not finishing it because I got too anal with the size etc.
    I do have my CD collection in Access and have kept it up since the '90s (up to 5588 and counting ....) and my Wings of War/Glory in Excel, but gave up on the books.
    I might have to check this LibraryThing.com out ....

OK, update on the ship project, Got the Brigs and Frigs painted and one SOL3 painted already.The Frigs and SOL are named ones so showed the sterns of them also.

Have 3 more SoL 3's half painted already.

Name:	100_6959.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	100.1 KB 
ID:	284266Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_6965.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	143.8 KB 
ID:	284267

Those sterns are awesome, Ken!

<<I can say that, because, furled up like that, the ships appear at first glance to have NO SAILS!!!!>>
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

I’m working on my Test of Honour stuff that has been laying around a couple of years. Still six more packs to go plus a couple more buildings. On the palate currently:

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails B3A26386-B788-4CE3-9DE2-71C18E0A55AD.jpeg  

Off topic, but, can someone tell me WHY I’m getting the embedded image PLUS an attached image in my post?!

Quote Originally Posted by BwanaJoe View Post
    Off topic, but, can someone tell me WHY I’m getting the embedded image PLUS an attached image in my post?!
    Been happening to some of us for a while now.

Keith has not been able to determine the cause.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    Been happening to some of us for a while now.

Keith has not been able to determine the cause.
    Darn gremlins. Those little buggers never give up...

Wow, website is a bit draggy today.

Anyway, got a few more SOL 3 done for the British. After this 5 more SOl 1's then rigging time.

Name:	100_6996.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	85.3 KB 
ID:	285692Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_6998.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	94.9 KB 
ID:	285693

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. The Operation was a Success
    By Brambo in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 12-10-2015, 13:53
  2. BRF Operation Excess.
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum Fire in the Skies
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-23-2015, 01:14
  3. AAR Operation shadow. Prequel to Operation Excess.
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-20-2015, 04:49
  4. Operation Excess.
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-30-2014, 04:35
  5. Wings PBeM shut down
    By NeilCFord in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 02-03-2012, 11:22