Ares Games
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Operation Shut in

Next 3, only 2 more to go then rigging time...shudder

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_7003.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	121.3 KB 
ID:	286073Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_7006.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	117.7 KB 
ID:	286074Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_7011.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	92.2 KB 
ID:	286075

Those ships look absolutely beautiful, Ken!

Do you know about our sister site 'The Anchorage' for the Sails of Glory game? You can find it at http://www.sailsofglory.org

Never been on that site, may have to give it a look. Started that huge Spanish monster today something like a 130 guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    Never been on that site, may have to give it a look. Started that huge Spanish monster today something like a 130 guns.
    It was noted on a historian's tumblr blog that a ship of the line carried more artillery than an army division. Doing the math, that monster has as much as a well equipped corps!
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

OK, update time.
    Have all the hulls painted now and started rigging the brigs between finishing up the French and Spanish Flagships.

This is my full British fleet (so far till I get more) and a French and Spanish SoL 1. For the Non Brit Fleets have a SoL 3, 2 Frigs, and 4 Brigs for each. Next purchase is the named SoL 3 Boxes, Sloops, Merchants, and then down the Road the fleet boxes for the other 3 fleets. Will keep you updated as they get rigged.

Note: Am not happy with the rather lightly molded name plate on the L'Orient so touched it up a bit after the pic was taken

Name:	100_7012.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	115.6 KB 
ID:	286430Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_7015.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	148.2 KB 
ID:	286431Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_7017.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	125.0 KB 
ID:	286432Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_7020.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	87.2 KB 
ID:	286433

Ken, you're killing me. I have a slew of Sails of Glory ships I'm dying to rig up but until we can move into our new house I have no access to them. Hopefully I'll get them under way by the fall.

Only reason I am going warp speed on these is lack of commissions. Not a bad thing really as I am not out spending much. Might even trim my unpainted stuff down by a few boxes. Maybe more 25mm nappys next. Starting to look at Warlords WWII navel game but really wish they would have done WWI ships instead, no messy carriers that way. Got me looking over my copy of AH's Jutland again....

Starting to look at Warlords WWII navel game but really wish they would have done WWI ships instead, no messy carriers that way. Got me looking over my copy of AH's Jutland again....
    I took a quick look at it, but I wasn't impressed with the model quality the webpages showed. Nor the very simplistic combat results description.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Ranges did not feel right to me. Nice big models that made one move then shot. Feels like a 3 turn game with little more then dice rolling. Prefer it if they would have made movement shorter and kept ranges longer. Mind you this is only from seeing one how too video on You Tube.

Name:	100_7011.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	92.2 KB 
ID:	286075
    They're certainly looking the part Ken. When we visited Victory when I was a youngster (50+ years ago) her stern was being refurbished - replaced probably as she was a rotten as wotsit - my old man was a woodworker of sorts (started his career making wooden car frames) so was interested in the work & got talking with the crew. When he asked how bad it was the workman just pulled out a handful of wood and broke it up by rubbing it between his hands then he handed the last bit of it to me. Still got the piece somewhere.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Have a chunk of the Victory...I can only stand in awe. Best I can do is was up in the cockpit of a B 25 30 plus years ago and behind the stick of a Steerman (on the ground of course tho had flown right seat on a Cessna when my dad was alive and had his pilots cert). Sigh...Mid 80's I think. Roughly same time frame I took the tour of a OHop class frigate that was on the Great Lakes here in Michigan. Saw the WWII DE In St Louis my Senior year in High School (79 I think) and also went to the top of the arch there that day also (had a little roller coaster type car that took you to the top and windows looking down up there)

I have watched many clips of walk throughs of the Victory on You Tube but not likely to ever get over there to see her though.

No rush to view her - HMS Victory is currently undergoing a 13 year, Ł35million conservation project, the most obvious sign of the project is that her masts have been temporarily removed.
    https://www.historicdockyard.co.uk/s...SAAEgIigfD_BwE

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

A piece of the HMS Victory. WOW that is some keepsake.
    Ken I was on MINI MARKET and saw a new game, OAK & IRON. Ships are cheaper then the ones you paint but don't look as detailed. Your ship are unreal. Always look forward to your, and others, fantastic paint jobs.

Bob, Must be a reprint, Oak and Iron is a very old name if I remember right. Right up there with Wooden Ships and Iron Men.

The new Oak and Iron is a completely new (and very enjoyable) game.

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    The new Oak and Iron is a completely new (and very enjoyable) game.
    I was tempted by the Kickstarter late last year - watched a couple of You Tube demos - but decided against it as there was no solo mode and I don't have the painting skills to make it look good.

Was looking at it today, not sure I like the price point. If I could replace their ships with the Warlords models and get more ship cards (Hmmm....heard that before someplace) might be worth a shot then. Their figs look more sturdy but not as flashy so as a modeler would likely switch em out.

If I ever get a game printed, I would make it so the game aids were packaged as a SKU on their own so people could switch out the parts. With things Shapeways is doing these days and costs, just printing cards and bases would make the game easier to get figs for and keep sales rolling.

Oak and Iron was originally published in 2012 I believe.

OK, Update

Brit Frigates and Brigs headed to port to get flagged for duty.

Name:	100_7023.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	141.3 KB 
ID:	286703

And a Small Spanish brig flotilla looking for Drunken Fishermen. (MAY be expecting trouble)

Name:	100_7024.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	142.9 KB 
ID:	286704Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_7027.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	128.8 KB 
ID:	286705

Sweet fleet Ken. Maybe I missed it, what rules do you use? I used to love Wooden Ships & Iron Men. I used to play solo just like here way back when I was a kid with a similar system I threw together. Now GMT's Flying Colors is my favorite though I've only played it a couple of times. Someday I'll get into Sails for sure.

Peter, Have WSIM myself, matter of fact thumbing through the rules for fleet actions now. First played it in the early 70's and grabbed a new copy when mine was trashed. These ships are for Black seas by Warlords though the guys at the hobby store were using a Osprey set of rules last time I saw em play. At this point collecting, building, and painting are 90% of the fun for me. Maybe after lock down is over will get some games going.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    Sweet fleet Ken. Maybe I missed it, what rules do you use? I used to love Wooden Ships & Iron Men. I used to play solo just like here way back when I was a kid with a similar system I threw together. Now GMT's Flying Colors is my favorite though I've only played it a couple of times. Someday I'll get into Sails for sure.

i used to play wooden ships and iron men way back in the day. our club used to have tournaments.

OK, finished 2 more today giving me 5 new ones (4 X Sol 1's and a SoL 3) 3rd rate is the Mars (red pennant), Sol 1's for the British are the Royal Soveriegn (White). Victory (Blue), and generic hull (3 Color), the French SoL 1 L'Orient, and a gunboat flotilla.

3 More SoL 3's to go and I am DONE.........well.....except for the 3 gunboat flotillas I got this week........ and.........3 more named British SoL 3's.....umm....and the Schooner Box (6 ships) I ordered last night.........sigh....I MAY have a problem here.

Name:	100_7028.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	103.5 KB 
ID:	287061Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_7029.jpg 
Size:	113.1 KB 
ID:	287062Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_7030.jpg 
Size:	110.9 KB 
ID:	287063

Looking at this thread again I remember seeing the PBR/Swift boat of the SVN Navy. Didn't mention that last week, 30 April was the fall of Saigon 45 years ago. I was stationed in Thailand when that happened and remember it well.

Remember watching it on the news, was too young (barely) to go into the army at that time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Missions

1. The Operation was a Success
    By Brambo in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 12-10-2015, 13:53
  2. BRF Operation Excess.
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum Fire in the Skies
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-23-2015, 01:14
  3. AAR Operation shadow. Prequel to Operation Excess.
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-20-2015, 04:49
  4. Operation Excess.
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-30-2014, 04:35
  5. Wings PBeM shut down
    By NeilCFord in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 02-03-2012, 11:22