Ares Games
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: WWI aircraft database & companion app

I've distinguished the official releases in my app by card only or mini. The aircraft released just on a card has a grey icon now.

Quote Originally Posted by Honza View Post
    I've added turn diameters to decks today. The trigonometry was developed by Kubajs of our wing. It dragged a bit, because i assumed the turn radius can be counted from the distance between the top centre points of the base, however no, it must be counted from the centre point of the base, as they both travel on different circles. Funny thing is that smaller angle you have the smaller the error is, so i kept overlooking it first.

All right, so i defined the tightest turn diameter as the distance between the base centre points after the aircraft executed their best 180° turn.

Some of the airplanes do not travel along a circle, but more like a potato shape, as their 90°turns are restricted. And so their tightest turn is 90+60(+60 - see you can't even get clean 180, so i had to help it somehow). In those cases i used average diameter between their 3x 60 and 2x 90 turns.
    Interesting. Choosing a centrepoint is definitely better, because of fire range measured from there. Silly mistake. Good Kubajs is in our gang

I've distinguished the official releases in my app by card only or mini. The aircraft released just on a card has a grey icon now.
    That is a great (and useful) addition!

The flags next to the aircraft in the Aircraft Database mark its primary user. So if you list just the US aircraft you will get only two types - Ni28 and Curtis H.16.

The new feature will list the released miniatures - particular instances of a type. And those will be marked the same way they came out.

Goodness me, the added features just keep on coming!

It is coming soon. I have finished the collection feature today. I will add a short rule reminder and release it in a few days

Name:  prew14.jpg
Views: 961
Size:  152.4 KB

It have been 3 weeks of clicking, but the database of official models and the collection recorder are working, and i've added to the app today. I've also added explanation of all the new features to the first post of this thread.

All instances of each model are listed as separate entries - so if you have Richthofen's dreidecker from the first Series and from the reprinted series, you can mark/add them as separate entries to your collection (if you wish).

Your collection will be saved in so called a "local storage", which is on every device. So when you create your collection on your phone, you won't see it on your PC.

Yep, and now, i can finally go and see what i really have in my own collection ...
    Last edited by Honza; 04-02-2020 at 02:58.

Excelent, just checked and it works well

Quote Originally Posted by Dan-Sam View Post
    Excelent, just checked and it works well
    Me too - a great feature! I can’t wait to see what the ‘coming soon’ button reveals!

This is a fantastic tool!

My score

Name:  photo 02-04-2020, 14 25 34.jpg
Views: 921
Size:  32.4 KB
    Very nice. I'm afraid to do this in case SWMBO sees the score for me!

Yeah, this is absolutely a situation

This is a fantastic piece of work. An excellent contribution to the organization. Well done lad. Well done.

Ok, I tried to find my score when SWMBO wasn't looking. I added all the planes on the official list but do not get a score. It says I found X Aircraft but not the correct # of planes I added. Am I missing where this is? Does it only add one of each plane, not multiples?

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    Ok, I tried to find my score when SWMBO wasn't looking. I added all the planes on the official list but do not get a score. It says I found X Aircraft. Am I missing where this is?
    You have to select the heart icon in the filters section and then submit. Your ‘score’ will appear in the top information area.

Quote Originally Posted by Biggles downunder View Post
    You have to select the heart icon in the filters section and then submit. Your ‘score’ will appear in the top information area.
    Ah, thanks!

Ooooo my, can't let SWMBO see this!

WOW!

Great job on this. I'm still going through it all and I am amazed at all of it.

I logged all my planes and I could not find two planes.

Both are from Series 1A. Sopwith Camel-Barker and the other one is Albatros D.Va-Von Hippel.

I'm not sure if I missed them or they are not listed. My total count is 186+ custom planes so I may have missed them.

Quote Originally Posted by BBSuds View Post
    I logged all my planes and I could not find two planes.

Both are from Series 1A. Sopwith Camel-Barker and the other one is Albatros D.Va-Von Hippel.

I'm not sure if I missed them or they are not listed. My total count is 186+ custom planes so I may have missed them.
    Bob, I missed this too. Go to filters and click on the heart and you'll get your plane count. I think 186 is the total # of plane entries. It came up for me until Wayne informed me about the filter search.

Thanks Peter

I just did it and it showed 183 not 186. It still don't show the 1A series planes (Von Hippel & Barker).

Thanks Peter

I just did it and it showed 183 not 186. It still don't show the 1A series planes (Von Hippel & Barker).

Bob - Von Hippel was missing, Barker was misslabeled as 1B - good catch!

EDIT: Von Hippel and Barker added. So we have 187 minis right now. I suppose it shall be odd numer as in the 2019 reprint there were 3x Dr.I, while Camel, Alb Va and Spad 13 came out in pairs.
    Last edited by Honza; 04-02-2020 at 22:47.

It have been 3 weeks of clicking, but the database of official models and the collection recorder are working, and i've added to the app today. I've also added explanation of all the new features to the first post of this thread.

All instances of each model are listed as separate entries - so if you have Richthofen's dreidecker from the first Series and from the reprinted series, you can mark/add them as separate entries to your collection (if you wish).

Your collection will be saved in so called a "local storage", which is on every device. So when you create your collection on your phone, you won't see it on your PC.

Yep, and now, i can finally go and see what i really have in my own collection ...
    I have built my collection on my ipad. Is there any way of coping the file in local storage and then copying it to my iphone?

I have no idea Wayne. Iphones are really hard to break into.
    By the way i relabelled Barker's re-released Camel and added the missing Von Hippel - so you shall correct it in your collection in case you have those.

The Von Richthofen Albatross is not a D.Va, it's a D.III.

Both. His Alb V.a was released in 2019.

Even though he didn't rate them, MvR got 9 victories with Alb D.V. machines
    Albatros D.V(789/17) 1; Albatros D.V(1177/17) 4; Albatros D.V(2059/17) 2 ;Albatros D.V (4693/17) 2.... before being shot down in one.
    Interestingly Ares listed the last release as Albatros D.V, not D.Va as they & Nexus had done previously, maybe that was to accommodate MvR's one.

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Even though he didn't rate them, MvR got 9 victories with Alb D.V. machines
    Albatros D.V(789/17) 1; Albatros D.V(1177/17) 4; Albatros D.V(2059/17) 2 ;Albatros D.V (4693/17) 2.... before being shot down in one.
    Interestingly Ares listed the last release as Albatros D.V, not D.Va as they & Nexus had done previously, maybe that was to accommodate MvR's one.
    Dave i have just opened my brand new Weber's Alb, and both the base and the card say D.VA.
    The box sticker says D.V.
    I think i will count it as D.Va after all.

And thanks for the additional info, i added it to the file. Apparently not all of them were all-red.

Here is some interesting reading - skip to the color schemes.
    http://www.wingnutwings.com/ww/v2B59...structions.pdf
    Last edited by Honza; 04-03-2020 at 00:57.

Both. His Alb V.a was released in 2019.
    Aha, got it!

Darn, I’m starting to see a few gaps in my collection!

A good trick. The models are sorted by edition. If you want them sorted by name, open the filter and press submit. Filter sorts it always by name and when you don't press any filter button, you will get all models sorted by name.

Default Great Companion app

Awesome app. I think I’m missing a few Planes! Like I only have 7 but they are a good seven to have! Lol
    well done!

The steep cards now have a dotted frame to help colour blind people read it.
    Last edited by Honza; 04-03-2020 at 02:46.

The steep cards now have a dotted frame to help colour blind people read it.
    i can’t even imagine the amount of coding, time and effort that went into this awesome app of yours. I am in awe!

About 6 weeks, a few hours a day.
    Filling the database took about 80% of the time. Coding is fun

And thanks for the additional info, i added it to the file. Apparently not all of them were all-red
    Quite right - I think Albatros D.V(1177/17) was his only all red one.
    I'm not surprised Ares have D.Va on the cards having listed them as D.V's, it's the kind of inconsistency we've come to expect from them !

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Quite right - I think Albatros D.V(1177/17) was his only all red one.
    I'm not surprised Ares have D.Va on the cards having listed them as D.V's, it's the kind of inconsistency we've come to expect from them !
    I a got message from Andrea, that the only D.V is Richthofen.

Honza, I just had a chance to go through every plane listed. What I found was the Series 1b were missing 3 planes from that release. You had 1 already on there but took it off, it was the Camel for Barker which was released for Series 1a and 1b. the other pilots missing are Spad S.XIII-Rickenbacker and Albatros D.Va-Udet. Alot of reprints have some of the previously released pilots.

Great job again for all your hard work.

I just finished double checking my collection and correcting a few of my errors - Barraca's SPAD XIII had me beaten for a while - the French markings were what did it!

My 'score' is a frightening 187 official minis but to that I need to add 2 official balloons, 3 other balloons, 2 F-Toys Albatrii, 3 Shapeways Bristol Fighters, 3 Shapeways Fokker D.VIIs and one Shapeways Felixstowe - and I bet my final total is a long way short of some others on this forum!!!
    Last edited by Biggles downunder; 04-04-2020 at 01:24.

Jan, are you going to add the official balloons to the database?

I don't dare mention tripods
    Last edited by Biggles downunder; 04-03-2020 at 23:39.

Honza, I just had a chance to go through every plane listed. What I found was the Series 1b were missing 3 planes from that release. You had 1 already on there but took it off, it was the Camel for Barker which was released for Series 1a and 1b. the other pilots missing are Spad S.XIII-Rickenbacker and Albatros D.Va-Udet. Alot of reprints have some of the previously released pilots.

Great job again for all your hard work.
    Hi Bob, i think this maybe just the way i mark the releases.

- no letter - the original release
    - A the first reprint + new types
    - B the second reprint + new types

I marked the Bakers Camel Series 1B by mistake, and i corrected it to 1A as it was reprinted for the first and last time in 2013. It wasn't reprinted for the second time, right?

Series 1A came out in 2013 and it had 12 models in it - 3 Camels (Elwood, Barker, Stackard), 3 Albs D.V (Udet, Jacobs, von Hippel), 3 Spads XIII (Rickenbacker, Codau, Maddon) and 3 Fokkers Dr.I. (MVR, LVR, Kirschstein).

Series 1B came out in 2019 and it had just 10 models in it - 2 Camels (MacLarren, Kissenberth), 2 Albs D.V (Weber, MVR), 2 Spads XIII (Fonck, Chavannes), and 3 Fokkers Dr.I. (Baumer, Kempf, MVR).
    Last edited by Honza; 04-04-2020 at 01:44.

I just finished double checking my collection and correcting a few of my errors - Barraca's SPAD XIII had me beaten for a while - the French markings were what did it!

My 'score' is a frightening 187 official minis but to that I need to add 2 official balloons, 3 other balloons, 2 F-Toys Albatrii, 3 Shapeways Bristol Fighters, 3 Shapeways Fokker D.VIIs and one Shapeways Felixstowe - and I bet my final total is a long way short of some others on this forum!!!
    Well sir, your real score is 187 x about 12 bucks.

Jan, are you going to add the official balloons to the database?

I don't dare mention tripods
    Balloons - maybe.
    Tripods - nope.

Well sir, your real score is 187 x about 12 bucks.
    Hm, more like 187 x 20AUD! Scary stuff!

And if i add my WWII models and all ships from Star Trek: Attack Wing .... fortunately i stopped buying WWII models about 6 years ago, when the quality went down the hill and prices went up the hill.

Hi Bob, i think this maybe just the way i mark the releases.

- no letter - the original release
    - A the first reprint + new types
    - B the second reprint + new types

I marked the Bakers Camel Series 1B by mistake, and i corrected it to 1A as it was reprinted for the first and last time in 2013. It wasn't reprinted for the second time, right?....
    Yeah, it was Jan. Barker's Camel has appeared in all series 1 releases.

Series 1B came out in 2019 and it had just 10 models in it - 2 Camels (MacLarren, Kissenberth), 2 Albs D.V (Weber, MVR), 2 Spads XIII (Fonck, Chavannes), and 3 Fokkers Dr.I. (Baumer, Kempf, MVR).
    Wrong ! It had 12 models inc Barker's Camel & Udets Albatros D.Va

"He is wise who watches"

So both Barker and Udet have original release and two re-prints?
    What was the missing Spad 13 in series B? Rickenbecker right? As Bob said ... ?
    Last edited by Honza; 04-04-2020 at 04:26.

Oh yeah - it was (you can't count either ! )

"He is wise who watches"

Great job Jan.

Your list is complete with all correct planes and series (except the special 2 shiny planes).

Do you plan on adding the 2 balloons (yellow & brown)?

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. A companion app in development
    By Honza in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 90
    Last Post: 03-14-2020, 15:17
  2. Database Error
    By Stumptonian in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 107
    Last Post: 02-02-2020, 13:58
  3. Starship Schematics Database
    By BwanaJoe in forum BSG: General Discussions