Ares Games
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: WWI aircraft database & companion app

Good catch Diamondback.

So we have USMC Squadron D mini by Nexus, and 50th Attack Squadron mini by Ares. Both very late war aircraft.

EDIT: I found this
    https://www.prints-online.com/dayton...-14222143.html

and this
    https://www.usni.org/magazines/naval...-western-front

I changed the America made DH.4 from Airco DH.4 to Dayton-Wright DH.4 and changed Nexus piece the squadron name.
    Last edited by Honza; 03-29-2022 at 12:34.

We played a game with altitudes recently and i found out i had troubles to find climb and ceiling in my own app. Kind of a shock. So i reworked the Official Model display. It shows all the usefull game info under each model as well as the deck listing. I also added some additional information on some pilots and aircraft i found on web.
    If you see it all messy now, it is because your device has the styles cached the way it used to be, just flush the cache and refresh the screen (ctrl+F5). It should look like this now.

Name:  preview-aerodromme.jpg
Views: 769
Size:  56.7 KB

I am still working on it. I would like to add a rule reminder on balloons, infantry stuff, rockets and so. Stuff i for some reason never remember.
    Currently i am slowly updating some information on pilots and aircraft, as well as some missing pictures i managed to find.
    Last edited by Honza; 04-02-2022 at 01:12.

Good bit of work, Honza. Wish I could hand out more rep, you deserve it.

I also find this app very useful, especially the manoeuvre deck comparison. I refer to it regularly.

Where has the "arrow speed" gone?

Name:  Screenshot_20220402-092920~2.jpg
Views: 741
Size:  87.6 KB

It can be easily put back. I just thought that it was redundant considering the table speed being less abstract a number.

Wow, that was quick! Thanks! I find it useful to see both, although table speed is obviously what really counts...

The Rule Reminder was extended.

Name:  preview - reminder.png
Views: 650
Size:  94.4 KB

Nice! These are great. For rockets, if 2 rocket counters were placed and there is an aircraft blocking the target, does that aircraft take one or two D cards? From the burning drachens rules:

(Exception: For the second condition, if the target balloon is still in the arc of fire but an airplane blocks the view, then the blocking airplane (friend or foe) is hit instead and takes a D damage card.)

Quote Originally Posted by Spoonfrog View Post
    if 2 rocket counters were placed and there is an aircraft blocking the target, does that aircraft take one or two D cards? From the burning drachens rules:
    Two. The latest rules cleared it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Honza View Post
    The Rule Reminder was extended.
    The incendiary bullets section has not included effects on balloons, Jan, Rudder Damage also causes fire. The balloon section may need updating too as not just fire and explosion special damage are taken into account when incendiaries are used.
    In the rockets section if the pilot draws a special damage (not receives) then the rockets miss. Though counter intuitive this includes a jam as confirmed by Andrea some years ago & noted in the FAQ. https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...ll=1#post11856
    You might want to include altitude in the photo recon section - Alt 3 or less is using altitude.

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    The incendiary bullets section has not included effects on balloons, Jan, Rudder Damage also causes fire. The balloon section may need updating too as not just fire and explosion special damage are taken into account when incendiaries are used.
    In the rockets section if the pilot draws a special damage (not receives) then the rockets miss. Though counter intuitive this includes a jam as confirmed by Andrea some years ago & noted in the FAQ. https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...ll=1#post11856
    You might want to include altitude in the photo recon section - Alt 3 or less is using altitude.
    Thanks Dave for the suggestions, i will go over it.

It should all be correct now. I changed a lot of "in altitude" to "at altitude". Pictures sometimes do not refresh, so it may take some time (receive -> draw).

Good points Dave.

It should all be correct now. I changed a lot of "in altitude" to "at altitude". Pictures sometimes do not refresh, so it may take some time (receive -> draw).

Good points Dave.
    Accuracy is key with rules reminders, I noticed a typo - you've put 'Rugdder Damage' in both the incendiary bullet sections you've added !

"He is wise who watches"

Done, thanks.
    I added tailing and a general game flow section.

I added a link to your FAQ as well.
    Last edited by Honza; 04-10-2022 at 08:20.

On the photo recon rules, we normally play that the observer cannot fire his gun and operate the camera at the same time. Not sure if that is in the official rules anywhere though...

Probably not, but makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoonfrog View Post
    On the photo recon rules, we normally play that the observer cannot fire his gun and operate the camera at the same time. Not sure if that is in the official rules anywhere though...
    We do the same unless we know the pilot operates the camera as they did on some types. Same with bombing.

"He is wise who watches"

Done, thanks.
    I added tailing and a general game flow section.
    I added a link to your FAQ as well.
    Check the tailing rules - you stated 'you can't tail an enemy at lover level'... Not sure what height that is ?! Anyway, I'm sure you meant to say lower level, the point being is that you can tail enemy aircraft at the same or one level lower. You can't tail enemy that are higher, or, more than one level lower.

"He is wise who watches"

Check the tailing rules - you stated 'you can't tail an enemy at lover level'... Not sure what height that is ?! Anyway, I'm sure you meant to say lower level, the point being is that you can tail enemy aircraft at the same or one level lower. You can't tail enemy that are higher, or, more than one level lower.
    Done. Lowely. I rewritten the whole thing so it makes more sense now. That initiation in planning phase followed by rechecking in the 2nd step is a bit hard to put down smoothly so it can be short yet well understood.

I've got a bit of paper saying I'm not allowed to tail anybody at the lover level

Collisions are up.

The red and the blue are what we play to determine collisions - each takes a C damage, no special damage other than the boom card.
    We find this cuts down the number of collisions dramatically, yet we still manage to crash each other out of the game !
    Last edited by flash; 04-13-2022 at 08:39.

"He is wise who watches"

The red and the blue are what we play to determine collisions - each takes a C damage, no special damage other than the boom card.
    We find this cuts down the number of collisions dramatically, yet we still manage to crash each other out of the game !
    Do you follow the official altitude rules or do you use one of the house rules? Just courious.
    I like the collision cards the best. It is a game in the game.

I added Blind Spot to the app.

As a group we play the altitude rules as written, if we play them, though we have tried others on occasion. I do my own thing for solo games.

"He is wise who watches"

Cloud cover added.

I have just noticed that the search filters set for official models is slightly different from the set for the general database.

Is it possible to have all possible filters for both sets? For example, the ‘by speed’ would be incredibly useful in the official models set.

Good idea Wayne, thank you. I can add a third row to the filter. It can take some time though.

The Caproni Ca.4 text is actually about the Ca.3...

Name:  Screenshot_20220422-071232~2.png
Views: 480
Size:  625.8 KB,

Good catch, thank you. Corrected. I haven't found any data on Ca.41, all sources cite Ca.42 with Liberty engines, although only 12 pieces were build.
    Last edited by Honza; 04-22-2022 at 01:42.

What could be also helpful function, would be a list of aircraft the chosen aircraft could meet. Which is different from the scenario builder where you start by a year. Sometimes you just wanna play, say, Triplanes and you wanna see who they can fly with or oppose.

Yes! That would be great. Also, a function to compare two aircraft side by side would be useful.

I changed the A-H icons to more A-H looking icons.

Well done, very stylish !

I changed the A-H icons to more A-H looking icons.
    Nice!

I added the aircraft matching feature to the Aircraft Database section. So, if you want to play Phoenix D.I you can look for what aircraft it can be accompanied or opposed.
    The feature doesn't take into account that some aircraft was used exclusively in particular front. I may do it when i have books or tables on that. I don't.
    If you wanna help, you are surely welcome

Name:  IMG_3779.PNG
Views: 442
Size:  356.7 KB

There is a little bug in the numbers in brackets. I will correct it tomorrow.

Nice! Neat feature!

Corrected and updated. My dear SWAMBO took our kids to an entertainment park, so i have all Saturday for myself.

Improved graphics on Scenario Builder calendar.

Improved graphics on Scenario Builder calendar.
    Ah, nice - the font is much more readable!

Quote Originally Posted by monse View Post
    Concerning the HALBERSTADT D.III, its timeline in the Database shows a very brief utilisation from August to September 1916.
    According to the following sources, it should be from June 1916 to January-Mach 1917
    Suggestion for the Database
    As the D.II and D.III were produced in parallel, it’s difficult to determine which model arrived first.
    - Period of introduction from June to August (light blue)
    - We may consider a period of intense use when the Jastas were created from September to January (dark blue).
    - February / March 1917 (light blue) when some Albatros D.III suffered some wings issues (some pilots use the Halberstadt as a temporary replacement plane).
    Anyway, it is more interesting for a scenario to have a bit longer period of use for a model.
    Thank you Monse. I reworked the database a bit so i can use a different names for aircraft in the Aircraft Database and Official Models.
    I renamed this input to HALBERSTADT D.II / D.III and changed the service time.
    I set the introduction time since Feb 16 when it became part of KEK units (Wiki), before it joined Jastas in June 16.

I updated the R deck to the Ares variant, where they added short slips and they somehow forgot to shorten the long slips.
    I registered the old R deck as R* for the Aircraft Database purposes.
    Also i reworked the broad slips on the cards lists to short slips in D E & I decks, thanks Dave.

There is a new thing, a deck evaluation chart that evaluates decks for speed and agility, and it is here
    http://www.hoho.cz/wog/evaluation/

the related thread is here
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...454#post571454

I am still working on it.

...Also i reworked the broad slips on the cards lists to short slips in D E & I decks, thanks Dave..
    No problem. Surprised no one mentioned it before now - it's only planes in the faster speed brackets that have broad sideslips the length of the card.

"He is wise who watches"

M* deck was added to the database as the old M variant by Nexus.

I added sorting to the official miniature filters. You can sort them either by speed, agility or by points.
    So you can - for example - search for Italian minis and sort them by speed.
    I also linked the M/M* and R/R* decks to the respective minis.

I added sorting to the official miniature filters. You can sort them either by speed, agility or by points.
    So you can - for example - search for Italian minis and sort them by speed.
    I also linked the M/M* and R/R* decks to the respective minis.
    Just fantastic the effort you put into this Jan.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. A companion app in development
    By Honza in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 90
    Last Post: 03-14-2020, 15:17
  2. Database Error
    By Stumptonian in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 107
    Last Post: 02-02-2020, 13:58
  3. Starship Schematics Database
    By BwanaJoe in forum BSG: General Discussions