Ares Games
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: WWI aircraft database & companion app

Most impressive. What a an accomplishment! Thank you!

I added speed bands to the official miniatures filter. They follow the http://www.hoho.cz/wog/evaluation/ speed division.

Name:  preview16.jpg
Views: 833
Size:  88.8 KB

There are stat bars under each aircraft in the list now.

Speed - Agility

Name:  preview17.jpg
Views: 819
Size:  94.2 KB

Hm, I can longer see the miniatures that I own.

This was asked also on FB. Here is Honza's answer:
    Perry, the data is saved in the so-called internal storage of your device. This internal storage can be flushed by a system upgrade of your phone or by flushing cash or updating your browser on your computer. It should not be caused by me updating the app, however i will do some testing.
    If you use the app on your computer, you can back up the storage - it depends on the browser.
    Please put just a few airplanes to your collection, so you remember whch, i will update the app soon, so you will see.
    Maybe it is even your case?

Ok, I’ll add just a few and see what happens.

Yes, this unfortunately happens. I will try to come up with a way to put the collection data in a file, and to backup/load that file on/from your device.

Quote Originally Posted by Honza View Post
    Yes, this unfortunately happens. I will try to come up with a way to put the collection data in a file, and to backup/load that file on/from your device.
    You are a whiz Jan!!

Here it is. Now you can save the collection data file on your device and re-load it when needed.

Name:  preview18.jpg
Views: 761
Size:  138.6 KB

Here it is. Now you can save the collection data file on your device and re-load it when needed.

Name:  preview18.jpg
Views: 761
Size:  138.6 KB
    Oh wow! This is just fantastic - when do you sleep??

Just a note “Bebe”s can’t be added to the collection right now, because of the quotes, i will correct it later today.

"Bébé"s are sorted.

I just saved the collection on my iphone to Files, then copied it from Files to Dropbox and loaded it to the app on my PC. It worked fine.

This is fantastic!

I saved it on my phone then switched to my iPad and down-loaded it from my iCloud drive to my iPad! Woo hoo!
    Last edited by Biggles downunder; 06-14-2022 at 00:52.

Decks can be now sported by speed or agility.

Name:  prew17.jpg
Views: 652
Size:  173.5 KB

That is excellent! Minor quibble - please can we have them sorted alphabetically within each speed band?

it just keeps getting better and better jan!

I corrected the R.E.8 service dates. There was an introduction period where the factory fiddled with the fin, so it wouldn't spin that easily. It really started pouring in April/May 1917. I am just finishing "Bloody April" book, and it seems that after they got used to it, the crews liked it way more than B.E.2.

Here is a fun story about a flight of 5 R.E.8 attacked by 12 German scouts.

Name:  celek.jpg
Views: 644
Size:  531.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Spoonfrog View Post
    That is excellent! Minor quibble - please can we have them sorted alphabetically within each speed band?
    And can we have a ‘Reset’ option to restore the original order?

Quote Originally Posted by Biggles downunder View Post
    And can we have a ‘Reset’ option to restore the original order?
    Just click on the Deck Analysis button again.

Just click on the Deck Analysis button again.
    Fantastic!

Jan, just another mad thought:

I don’t know if the app could accommodate it but it would be nice to be able to search on a particular aircraft and also, a step further, a particular pilot. I guess it depends on your data structure.
    Last edited by Biggles downunder; 07-21-2022 at 03:10.

I corrected the service data for Albatross D.II and did some other little corrections and maintenance.

Albatros C.III service data was corrected. I was relying on Cyrill's data file a bit too much, i guess. I will slowly correct them all.

It is so helpful it makes me want to cry

Thanks Jan

Thanks Luke. I am glad it's got fans.
    edit: I checked the Goodle Analytics after a year break, and it seems to have quite a fan club. That's a good reason to carry on.
    Last edited by Honza; 02-04-2023 at 08:18.

Strutter and Ni 28 service data was updated.

3 aircraft had the old climb/ceiling in the app. It has been updated.

C Damage Deck count was corrected to 17. I probably used a double deck to make the old stats.

Jan,

Awesome work! Thank you ever so moch for doing this.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Looking through the aircraft images, one of them perpetuates an error Ares made.

Take a careful look at the stand in this image:
    Name:  WoW-albatros-diii-brumowski.png
Views: 455
Size:  242.5 KB

The image in the app is probably the Ares 'official' image, which isn't the same.

On release of the UFAG C.I and Albatros D.III, stands were mixed up in publicity photos. The above is a correction of the stand to match the aircraft.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Excellent stuff indeed but is there a fairly up to date, comprehensive printed list(s) of all the WoW/WoG planes that have been issued over the years that I can just use as a checklist to monitor my collection of planes? Thanks for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by SOPWITHCAMEL View Post
    Excellent stuff indeed but is there a fairly up to date, comprehensive printed list(s) of all the WoW/WoG planes that have been issued over the years that I can just use as a checklist to monitor my collection of planes? Thanks for your help.
    This is about up to date as is available at present - in the files:
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/do...do=file&id=723

Or this thread:
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...ased-minis-WWI

Sapiens qui vigilat "He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    Looking through the aircraft images, one of them perpetuates an error Ares made...
    Nope, that was a Nexus screw up - Ares haven't made a Brumowski paint job as yet.

Is the new wave Series #10?
    The Balloons are a special pack, i suppose.

Can any happy owner if the new aircraft confirm they come with the same special cards?
    Can someone tell me what special cards come the balloons with?

Thanks.

..Can someone tell me what special cards come the balloons with? ..
    Already posted in the OTT Mess & rules Sticky, Jan, I'll pop a copy here in a moment.
    Yet to find out if there are any cards with the plane models.

Evader:
    When this pilot takes a damage card as the result of an exploding balloon, after looking at it he can decide to discard it and take another one from the same deck instead. After he takes the new card the original one is replaced into its deck and the deck is reshuffled.
    This can be used twice in a game but only once per turn.
    Adv: This same procedure can be used when a damage card is taken because of a collision with an airplane, a balloon, or a balloon barrage.

Experienced Ground Crew:
    The balloon descends to the ground in one less turn than the scenario states (Normally 11 instead of 12)
    Adv: If the Descending Balloons rule is in use the first time the balloon is ordered taken to the ground it immediately loses a climb token. A second counter is lost at the end of the same turn.

Marksman Observer:
    An observer on this balloon is a fierce soldier, well trained with firearms. he can perform infantry fire once in each turn.
    If the Balloon Observers rule is in use, choose which of the two observers is the marksman. He can fire only until he is either eliminated or bails out

As well as cards for a couple of options already mentioned in the rule book:
    Balloon Buster:
    When the ace fires at a balloon the target must tell the firer if at least one zero card is drawn and from which deck or decks but the target does not have to say how many 0's are taken.
    If so the firer may require the target to draw one additional damage card from the same deck as one of the 0 damage cards.
    Take four recovery counters. Until all are removed 0 damage cards are not declared by any balloon the ace hits.

Incendiary Bullets:
    Some aces used special incendiary bullets that were especially effective against balloons.
    The effect of this skill are the same of the incendiary bullets rule.. ie:
    "When a shot from an airplane carrying incendiary bullets inflicts smoke special damage on an enemy airplane the damage should be treated as fire instead.
    When a single damage card inflicts 5 damage points, without bonuses, it causes fire special damage too.
    When a shot from an incendiary round causes engine damage the target airplane also takes smoke damage with normal effects.
    When a balloon takes smoke, rudder jammed, engine damage result from an airplane with incendiary bullets treat it as fire instead. Any 5 points damage card also inflicts fire special damage."
    This skill cannot be taken if the pilot has the chivalrous aptitude skill.

Already added to the listed ace skills & optional rules in the files: https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/do...o=file&id=2485
    Last edited by flash; 10-30-2023 at 03:33.

The app has been updated with the Series 10 Ni16s and Balloons special packs. I also added a brief info to Henri de Guibert as it appeared on Ares web.
    It looks like the official model count reached 200.

Name:  <acronym title=wog.png Views: 229 Size: 128.2 KB" style="float: CONFIG" />

The original Johnson / Prince model was re-released under generic Escadrille Lafayette. I should be coming with the two pilot/aircraft cards though. Please confirm.

I slightly adjusted the service data for Fokker E.III and E.IV according to my new Windsock datasheets.

Just gonna blow my own trumpet a little here but I included a link to the companion app in an article I wrote about WoW/WoG as s workplace tool
    https://www.linkedin.com/m/pulse/war...rrandino-yb7nc
    I think you guys behind the App gave a huge contribution to the educational value of our favourite game.

Thanks Valerio, a time to finally register to Linkedin.

..The original Johnson / Prince model was re-released under generic Escadrille Lafayette. I should be coming with the two pilot/aircraft cards though. Please confirm.
    Confirmed, Jan, it has plane cards for both Johnson & Prince

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Confirmed, Jan, it has plane cards for both Johnson & Prince
    Thanks Dave, updated.

I slightly polished the AA Gun fire procedure.

I have rewritten the AA Gun procedure completely. It was stuck in my head and couldn't find an easy to remember and bulletproof algorithm. Then the lightbulb appeared above my head. This one shall work well.

[cue Bullwinkle voice]
    This time for sure!
    [/Bullwinkle voice]

I am working on this. I'll make one and if it proves helpful, i will make a standalone post out of it.

Name:  die-preview.png
Views: 78
Size:  31.1 KB

This is clever, Jan.
    It really shows that some rules are not well explained in the WOG Rules & Accessories book, unfortunately.

Thanks Simon. Yes, this one is definitely overcomplicated

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. A companion app in development
    By Honza in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 90
    Last Post: 03-14-2020, 15:17
  2. Database Error
    By Stumptonian in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 107
    Last Post: 02-02-2020, 13:58
  3. Starship Schematics Database