Ares Games
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: WWI aircraft database & companion app

Quote Originally Posted by Honza View Post
    The national flags in the aircraft database show the main user of the aircraft, not the producer (it is stated in the information window).
    The national flags in the model database follow the particular single airplane.
    Thank you Jan, I missed that one.

Yes there is a discrepancy between the main database and the model database now. The thing is i cannot change the name in the main database, because the personal collection feature works with that name. So if i change it, all people who have it in their collection will suddenly have a ghost aircraft in their collection, which they will not be able to delete.

I will simply rename the aircraft back to D.VIII and add a note about the alternative E.V designation.
    Name:  4871C6B6-8039-4736-8E56-38AAC8478337.jpg
Views: 1250
Size:  158.1 KB

Actually, it doesn’t matter if Fokker E.V appears as Fokker D.VIII in the Aircraft Database listing, if it creates trouble by changing it.

But in the Official Models listing, it definitely has to appear as Fokker E.V for two reasons :

1- Gaming reason
    ARES uses the designation Fokker E.V on its listing and website presentation.
    http://www.aresgames.eu/games/ww1-wi...cks/fokker-e-v
    The name Fokker E.V also appears on the plane card and even on the Sharon Fokker E.V fuselage (Fok. EV 137 - picture below).
    And of course, the gaming stores use the Ares designation too : https://www.miniaturemarket.com/arewgf119c.html

So from a gamer point of view, the Fokker E.V name would be more accurate on your app as this app is supposed to be used by gamer.
    And it avoids confusion for a new gamer discovering the game who has purchased a Fokker E.V mini and can’t find its name in the Official Models listing.

2- History reason
    ARES was right to list this plane under Fokker E.V, as the 3 miniatures selected are the early Fokker E.V which were supposed to be flown in August 1918, before being grounded.
    As explained in the following sources, this plane under Fokker D.VIII designation may have never been flown in combat during WW1.

In the WINDSOCK DATAFILE 25 “Fokker D.VIII” (author PM Grosz) :
    page 4 : Beginning with the first E.V acceptances on July 3 1918, the E.V parasol was sent to the Front and soon sufficient numbers were available to equip select Jagdstaffeln (Jasta 6 received the type on August 5 1918). ...
    On August 16 and 19 two pilots were killed when the E.V wing failed in flight. The type was immediately grounded pending a thorough investigation (1).
    E.V production was halted on August 24 to await the crash commission findings and load test results. A new wing was successfully load tested on September 1918.
    page 5 : Permission to resume building the EV fighters now designated D.VIII (signifying that a new wing was fitted) was given on September 24 1918 and the first D.VIII was accepted on October 8th 1918. Fokker was also required to supply new wings for the 139 E.V fighters that has been grounded.
    By November 11, 80 D.VIII fighters had been accepted, but to date no concrete proof has been found that the D.VIII (or E.V fitted with replacement wings ) saw combat in the last weeks of the war.
    In fact most of the 85 parasol fighters listed in the October 31 Front-line complement consisted of the E.V version stored at Armee Flug Parks awaiting replacement wings.

The few operational sorties flown (from August 5 to 19, there being no combat use recorded thereafter) was insufficient to identify the type’s strengths and weaknesses such as only the wear and tear of extended squadron service could expose.

(1) At least, one naval squadron the Seafront Staffell continued to operate Fok E.V after it was grounded with two parasols reported Alcott on August 22 1918. The last time a Seafroste E.V was reported was on August 27.

(2) Lt Theo Osterkamp did not obtain his 25 and 26th victories while flying a D.VIII (sic) as claimed by Gray and Thetlord (German aircraft of WW1, Putnam p110). According to his biography, Osterkamp had not flown the E.V very much because it was too slow to maintain pace with the squadron aircraft (Fokker D.VII). During a solitary E.V familiarisation flight, he was jumped by 3 Spad, forcing him to bail out. Curiously, this important event is not recorded in the squadron war diary.

PROFILE PUBLICATION
    https://rclibrary.co.uk/download_title.asp?ID=2052
    page 9 : Aircraft with the new wing were redesignated Fok. D.VIII. It was laid down that aircraft built as EVS but fitted with correctly built wing were to be given the new designation ; this does not seem to have been done in every case, as a few examples of the new type survived the armistice bearing the E.V designation.

A message from Dan San Abott on the Aerodrome (post 5 November 2002) : “the Fokker E.V after return to service in October 1918 were redesignated D.VIII, none saw service during the war.)”
    http://www.theaerodrome.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1844

Name:  59C8668D-8658-4CF1-B6D5-775FF2C49D1C.jpg
Views: 1183
Size:  106.1 KB
    Last edited by monse; 05-13-2020 at 22:42.

All right, i guess you have convinced me. I changed it in the model database.

Hello I was wondering a lot about this plane and you just answered it perfectly !
    Thank you monse

I made a patch and changed it in both databases the way people won't loose it from their collections.

Monse's analysis is full of interest:

this plane under Fokker D.VIII designation may have never been flown in combat during WW1.
    Thank you for these historical researches.
    They give more authenticity to the Fokker E.V miniatures.

Great work! Thank you.

I made a patch and changed it in both databases the way people won't loose it from their collections.
    Jan, your PM inbox in full - you'll need to clear some room before you can get any more.

"He is wise who watches"

I have corrected a handful of mistakes in the Reminder. I've also separated the Official and Designer's way of playing certain mechanics, so people can choose what fits them the best.

I corrected the service data for Halberstadt CL.II, i am afraid there is a mistake in Cyrill's file (thanks Kubajs).
    I also changed "Handley Page Type O" to "Handley Page O/400" in the aircraft database and changed the service data accordingly, as this is the aircraft we use. O/100 wasn't officially released for the game, and so i just mentioned its service data in the brief description under O/400.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Derrick
    Sorties Flown

The American Breguet BR14 doesn't come with photo expert. I noticed it missing. I contacted Ares Customer Care and they said it doesn't come with it.

Figured it was not gonna get corrected in their article and I thought "where do fans go to see this sort of thing?" Yeah. Your app is already a staple.

Thank you for noticing that. I have corrected it.

This is amazing. Thanks so much - Donation made. Any news on the android side of things? It would be good to have this on my phone some time, but I don't have an iphone

Quote Originally Posted by mikeemagnus View Post
    This is amazing. Thanks so much - Donation made. Any news on the android side of things? It would be good to have this on my phone some time, but I don't have an iphone
    Hi Mike, it should work on an Android device that has an internet connection as it is basically a link to a mini-website. A very, very clever one at that!

Mike, Wayne is correct. It is a web based app, so it works just like a web page with a few extra tricks so it behaves like a phone app.
    If you save it to your phone Home Screen, it even has an icon.

Name:  preview14.jpg
Views: 920
Size:  225.8 KB

And thank you for the donation, i am getting an airplane in my FLGS

OK Thanks for the info. Being a complete idiot when it comes to things like this, could you please explain, in words for an idiot, how I get it onto my android phone, complete with icon on my phone homescreen. I have the app on my desktop. What comes next

Mike, i made a little picture story for you. Here is how to sort it out on your phone.

Name:  photostory-android.jpg
Views: 885
Size:  84.2 KB

Many thanks. Appreciated However - I get as far as "3", as previously, but 4 never appears anywhere and I cannot scroll down any further than the basic Home page. Not on my phone, nor on my computer.

Any suggestions Polite ones please
    Last edited by mikeemagnus; 06-24-2020 at 13:10.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Derrick
    Sorties Flown

So on my phone (4) appears when I scroll up with my finger. Does that not happen?

Edit: by up, I mean a downward motion to move the site up.

Yes, when you load a website (step 3) there has to be a way to access the phone menu (step 4) - it would usually slide up from the bottom. Try to tap by the bottom or slide or such.

Wow, this is impressive. I thought I spent a good bit of time on my List Master app creating a list. Hats off to you and thank you! Donation coming.

Mike, Wayne is correct. It is a web based app, so it works just like a web page with a few extra tricks so it behaves like a phone app.
    If you save it to your phone Home Screen, it even has an icon.

Name:  preview14.jpg
Views: 920
Size:  225.8 KB

And thank you for the donation, i am getting an airplane in my FLGS

You will only be able to do this in the Safari browser on your iPhone. I couldn’t do it in Firefox and haven’t tried in Chrome - can anyone else comment?

There must be a way Wayne. Are you talking about a smart phone or a desktop?

On desktop PC with Firefox - add the page to bookmarks and then drag&drop it to your desktop.

Sorry, should have replied to this ages ago. Thanks for all the advice. I now have a Samsung phone and uploading was simple. Using it regularly now. Great app

Thanks Mike . I use it any time we play ( my bad memory).

I added the last missing point value - Phönix C.I is worth 87 points (Andrea).

I have updated the Alb D.III service dates. The original document has it wrong. It apparently peaked in November 1917 with over 400 of them in western front, and in August 1918, there was still 45 of them serving on western front. Also a few FB WWI groups i am in show pictures of Albs D.III from mid/late 1918.

On the Aircraft Database of the WW1 App, the GOTHA technical datas concern the G.IV instead of G.V : different length, height, weight, speed, range, ceiling, bombs.
    The link “More information on Wiki” leads to Gotha G.IV instead of Gotha G.V.
    The Ares miniature is supposed to be a Gotha V.

It doesn’t change anything for the game, except minor details as ceiling if playing maximum altitude.
    The Gotha G.V maximum speed is 140 km/h, 5 km/h more than the previous version, but it is still in the 121-140 km/h range, considering the speed range explanation by Andrea Angiolino :
    The length of the arrows is quite standardized: in the WWI line, the full length of a card is for planes with a maximum speed of more than 200 km/h, an arrow 80% of that for planes with a 181/200 km/h speed and then down, by steps of 20 km/h.”
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...ighlight=Speed

The issue concerns the timeline of the G.V in the Database.
    The G.V is introduced in August 1917, while two G.IV arrive in November 1916 for frontline evaluation.
    If considering only G.V version, the use period should start in August 1917.
    If considering G.IV and G.V versions, the period from November 1916 to March 1917 should be light blue coloured (and not dark blue).

The following informations are from the Gotha Wiki, which can be found in Profile Publications and Windsock Datafile.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gothaer_Waggonfabrik

GOTHA G.II
    The G.II entered operational service in August 1916, with eight of the initial production batch of 10 deployed to the Balkan front. Nothing today is known about the type's performance in combat, but of the eight on active service, no more than four appear to have been operational at any one time (October 1916).
    General characteristics
    - Crew: 3
    - Length: 12.2 m (40 ft 0 in)
    - Upper wingspan: 21.9 m (71 ft 10 in)
    - Lower wingspan: 23.7 m (77 ft 9 in)
    - Height: 3.9 m (12 ft 10 in)
    - Wing area: 89.5 m2 (963 sq ft)
    - Empty weight: 2,182 kg (4,810 lb)
    - Max takeoff weight: 3,192 kg (7,037 lb)
    - Powerplant: 1 × Mercedes D.IV 8-cylinder liquid-cooled geared in-line piston engine, 160 kW (220 hp)
    - Propellers: 2 or 4-bladed fixed-pitch pusher propellers
    Performance
    - Maximum speed: 135 km/h (84 mph, 73 kn)
    - Endurance: 4 hours
    - Rate of climb: 1.8 m/s (350 ft/min)
    - Time to altitude: 3,000 m (9,843 ft) in 28 minutes
    4,000 m (13,123 ft) in 41 minutes
    Armament
    - Guns: 2 × 7.92 mm (0.312 in) Parabellum MG14 machine guns
    - Bombs: 14x 10 kg (22 lb) bombs

GOTHA G.III
    Most of the 25 G.III aircraft produced were delivered to Kagohl 1, operating in the Balkans out of Hudova. Combat service of the G.III was limited but effective. Its most notable accomplishment came in September 1916, when a formation of G.III aircraft destroyed the railway bridge over the Danube River at Cernavodă, Romania.
    It also saw use by Kagohl 2 on the Western Front, operating from Freiburg. French ace Guynemer (with adj Chainat) downed a Kagohl 2 G.III in the Saint-Mihiel sector on 8th February 1917. (Profile Publications page 8).
    General characteristics
    - Crew: Three
    - Wingspan: 23.7 m (77 ft 9 in)
    - Wing area: 89.5 m2 (563 sq ft)
    - Empty weight: 2,383 kg (5,253 lb)
    - Gross weight: 3,618 kg (7,976 lb)
    - Powerplant: 2 × Mercedes D.IVa , 193 kW (260 hp) each
    Performance
    - Maximum speed: 135 km/h (83 mph, 72 kn)
    -Endurance: 3 hours 45 minutes
    Armament
    - 2 to 3 × 7.92 mm (.312 in) Parabellum MG14 machine guns
    - 500 kg (1,100 lb) of bombs

GOTHA G.IV
    Aircraft G.IV 401/16 and 402/16 were delivered to Kagohl 2 in November 1916 for frontline evaluation. Units did not receive the first G.IV bombers until March 1917. (Windsock Datafile page 4)
    In March 1917, the G.IV entered service with Kagohl 1, which was redesignated Kagohl 3 upon receipt of the new machines, and the G.IVs were soon to be put to use in Operation Türkenkreuz - the strategic bombing of London. This was delayed when practice missions revealed faulty engine bearings that had to be replaced, and that the prevailing winds were stronger than expected, requiring the addition of extra fuel tanks.
    General characteristics
    - Crew: 3 (pilot, nose gunner, dorsal gunner)
    - Empty weight: 2,413 kg (5,320 lb)
    - Gross weight: 3,648 kg (8,042 lb)
    - Powerplant: 2 × Mercedes D.IVa , 193 kW (260 hp) each
    Performance
    - Maximum speed: 135 km/h (83 mph, 72 kn)
    - Range: 810 km (506 mi, 440 nmi)
    - Endurance: 6 hours
    - Service ceiling: 5,000 m (16,400 ft)
    Armament
    - 2 or 3 × 7.92 mm Parabellum LMG 14 machine guns
    - Up to 500 kg (1,100 lb) of bombs

GOTHA G.V
    The G.V entered service in August 1917. It generally could not operate at altitudes as high as the G.IV, for the following performance reasons : The base variant of G.V offered no performance improvement over the G.IV. The G.V was up to 450 kg (990 lb) heavier than the G.IV due to additional equipment and the use of insufficiently seasoned timber. The Mercedes D.IVa engines could not produce the rated 190 kW (260 hp) due to inferior quality of fuel.
    The base variant of G.V offered no performance improvement over the G.IV. The G.V was up to 450 kg (990 lb) heavier than the G.IV due to additional equipment and the use of insufficiently seasoned timber. The Mercedes D.IVa engines could not produce the rated 190*kW (260*hp) due to inferior quality of fuel.
    General characteristics
    - Crew: 3 (sometimes 4)
    - Length: 12.36 m (40 ft 7 in)
    - Height: 4.3 m (14 ft 1 in)
    - Empty weight: 2,740 kg (6,041 lb)
    - Gross weight: 3,975 kg (8,763 lb)
    - Powerplant: 2 × Mercedes D.IVa 6-cylinder water-cooled in-line piston engines, 190 kW (260 hp) each
    - Propellers: wooden fixed-pitch pusher propellers
    Performance
    - Maximum speed: 140 km/h (87 mph, 76 kn)
    - Range: 840 km (520 mi, 450 nmi)
    - Service ceiling: 6,500 m (21,300 ft)
    Armament
    - Guns: 2 or 3 × 7.92 mm (.312 in) Parabellum MG 14 machine guns
    - Bombs: 14 × 25 kg (60 lb.) bombs

Name:  2CA9B329-4244-47E5-8153-D4BED09CCCEF.jpg
Views: 722
Size:  52.8 KB

Name:  8F63FD16-AA73-4B57-ACEF-A0FE1DF41757.jpg
Views: 713
Size:  66.1 KB

Thank you Simon for that brilliant explanation about Gotha

Broken Machine Gun for Rep !

Great Gotha info. My REP guns worked.

Simon thank you very much for your input. I will gladly do the changes as soon as i have some spare time.

Should be a simple fix to link to the G.V (linked from the G.IV under related development). People have to be careful in the links to Wiki as they sometimes example better/best types of an aircraft than those we're using modelled by Ares.
    The Alb D.III link, for instance, has an Austrian version exampled (bigger, better engine & performance) not the German version modelled - this may be misleading for some if they don't realise the difference. The DH.4 is another example, I expect there may be more.

"He is wise who watches"

Done did it - Gotha corrected.
    Last edited by Honza; 01-06-2021 at 05:49.

I have rewritten the Alb D.III to the German variant and added a note on the A-H variant in Wiki.
    I have also corrected the D.H.4 - the max. speed was at the sea level, which was misleading.
    Last edited by Honza; 01-06-2021 at 05:55.

Most all max speeds are taken at sea level so that's not what's misleading - what would be misleading is that the machine exampled is the later version with the most powerful engine the type used. That would put it's game speed into the highest speed band which is not the band the model has been given by Ares, presumably modelled on an earlier type with a less powerful engine. It may confuse some but does make for an interesting option.

"He is wise who watches"

Thanks, i understand. I am very happy any time people comment on this, so we can improve it together. I don't have as much time i had last spring, but on the other hand the mere data adjustments don't take that long

No more hearts on my app
    Wanted to add the new ones... older are wiped off...
    I 'll check my collection and like them again... but I 'd better save the file, no ?
    how can I do, I don't see where the files are hidden in my desktop

Hi Jacques, the data is stored in the local storage. Each machine has it's own local storage where file data can be stored. You may have erased it somehow

Thanks Honza,
    Sure, I did, but I don't know how and would like to prevent flikkering fingers.
    I began, but, in files created today, no name seems to be related to the app.
    what's the name, where is it (W7) ? that would be a great help

"wog-collection"

An empty data file should be created any time you load the app/web and the "wog-collection" is not in the storage.

Interesting, the file was erased on my PC but not on my iphone. Probably latest Firefox update or such.

I use firefox too, might be the clue.
    I keep looking for WOG COLLECTION, but next week end, if not shiny !

If you use Firefox then:
    1. Load the "app" page
    2. F12
    3. Storage > Local Storage
    4. wog-collection

You can copy/paste the"wog-collection" contents to a text file, so next time this happens, you just copy/paste it back
    Before you fill any collection in, "wog-collection" will be empty and show merely this [].

Concerning the HALBERSTADT D.III, its timeline in the Database shows a very brief utilisation from August to September 1916.
    According to the following sources, it should be from June 1916 to January-Mach 1917.

Source: Their Flying Machines
    On March 21, 1916, the fighter was accepted into service and put into mass production. In parallel, the Halberstadt D.III was produced.
    In June 1916, the first Halberstadts entered the western front.
    The largest number of "Halberstadts" on the western front (about 100 pieces) was noted in January 1917, after which their number quickly declined

Suggestion for the Database
    As the D.II and D.III were produced in parallel, it’s difficult to determine which model arrived first.
    - Period of introduction from June to August (light blue)
    - We may consider a period of intense use when the Jastas were created from September to January (dark blue).
    - February / March 1917 (light blue) when some Albatros D.III suffered some wings issues (some pilots use the Halberstadt as a temporary replacement plane).
    Anyway, it is more interesting for a scenario to have a bit longer period of use for a model.

Various sources including Halberstadt D in their articles

HALBERSTADT D.II / D.III / D.IV
    http://flyingmachines.ru/Site2/Crafts/Craft25497.htm
    At the end of 1915, the design bureau of the company "Halberstadt Flyugzeugwerk" under the leadership of engineer Karl Thaitz developed the world's first single-seat fighter with an engine liquid cooling. The solid wood two-post biplane with linen cladding was designated Halberstadt DI. It was powered by a 100 hp Mercedes DI inline six-cylinder engine. and is armed with a synchronized machine gun LMG 08.
    The aircraft was built in two copies, after which the next aircraft was equipped with a 120-horsepower Mercedes D-II engine, having assigned it the designation Halberstadt D.II. On March 21, 1916, the fighter was accepted into service and put into mass production. In parallel, the Halberstadt D.III was produced with an Argus As-II engine of the same design and power.
    The last serial modification was the Halberstadt DV, which appeared at the beginning of 1917. The DV featured improved aerodynamics, a reinforced airframe (the fuselage received plywood sheathing) and ailerons with horn-type aerodynamic compensation. Engine - "Mercedes" D-II or "Argus" As-II.
    The production of "Halberstadts" continued until the spring of 1917, after which they were removed from production due to the fact that in their flight characteristics they were significantly inferior to the "albatrosses". A total of 96 D.II, 54 D.III and 90 DV were built. 33 "fives" were transferred to Turkey in the same year. The Turks also received several copies of the D.II.
    In June 1916, the first Halberstadts entered the western front. The aircraft was used primarily as an escort fighter for two-seat reconnaissance aircraft and close-range bombers.
    German front-line pilots highly praised the aircraft, as its flight performance was better than that of the Fokker and Pfalz monoplanes, which at that time were the basis of German fighter aircraft. The outstanding, in comparison with the "Fokker", maneuverability and quick response to the steering wheels were especially noted. In addition, the Halberstadt was distinguished by its high structural strength, which allowed it to develop high speed in a dive. However, due to the relatively weak power-to-weight ratio, it was inferior in almost all parameters to the new Entente fighters,
    The largest number of "Halberstadts" on the western front (about 100 pieces) was noted in January 1917, after which their number quickly declined.
    Much longer - until about the summer of 1918, these fighters held out in combat units on secondary fronts - in Macedonia and the Middle East, where the number and activity of allied aviation was much lower.

OSPREY 32 - ALBATROS ACES OF WW1 part 1
    page 8
    The first dozen Jagdstaffeln (Jasta) were formed in August and September 1916, with a further 12 being created in October and November. Their establishment coincided with the arrival of the new Albatros and Halberstatdt D-type fighters, as well as the Fokker D-type. Initially, a mixture of scouting types was often used in each Jasta, although it was the Albatros which eventually became the standard fighter by the end of the year. Indeed, by December 1916 the Fokker D.I has been withdrawn from combat following the death of several pilots due to in flight structural failures.

OSPREY 77 - ALBATROS ACES OF WW1 part 2
    page 8
    The first biplane fighters of the new D category to see production were the Halberstatdt D.II and D.III and the Fokker D.I and D.II. These early biplanes reached the front between May and August 1916.
    page 9
    Albatros D.I and D.II were designed simultaneously and examples of both types reached the front at about the same time - September 1916.
    page 10
    Listing recorded just one Albatros D.I and one D.II at the front of 31 August 1916.

OSPREY AIRCRAFT OF THE ACES • 73 - Early German Aces of World War 1
    page 51
    Partly in response to earlier calls from Boelcke and others (including Berthold) for a small single-seat biplane fighter, Jagdflieg placed its first order for 12 Halberstadt D I scouts on 8 March 1916. However, it would be a considerable time before these and other improved types would arrive, leaving the burden of fighter duties to fall on the monoplanes for some time to come.
    page 61 :
    Boelcke used the opportunity to try out one of the new Halberstadt D-types - intended for Immelmann, it had arrived at Douai on 22 June. Boelcke wrote: 'One evening I flew the new Halberstadt biplane - the first appearance of this type at the front.
    page 66 :
    On 21 July , Otto Parschau, ran into trouble over Grevillers (south of Arras). Incredibly, he managed to bring his aircraft (possibly a new Halberstadt D II) down safely behind German lines and was rushed to a field hospital, but died on the operating table that evening.
    page 67 :
    By the end of June 1916, eight Halberstadt fighters were recorded at the front, a number which grew to 25 two months later.
    page 68 :
    The first examples of the new breed of Halberstadt biplane fighters arrived at the front in June 1916 - here, Kurt Wintgens peers at the camera from his D.II. Wintgens destroyed his 12th opponent on 30 July, and he may very well have been flying a Halberstadt at the time. This photograph may otherwise have been taken during his later service in Jasta 1.
    New biplanes arrived in insufficient numbers and too late to have much of an effect on the contest for aerial supremacy over the Somme. At the end of August there were still 124 monoplane fighters recorded in the frontline inventory (95 Fokker and 29 Pfalz) and only 56 of the new D-types.
    page 70 :
    August 1916. Most of the available fighters were Fokker monoplanes, with a scattering of Fokker and Halberstadt D-type biplanes. The lack of available D category machines is probably one of the reasons why the Jagdstaffeln took so long to become operational.
    page 81 :
    When, exactly, Jasta 4 replaced its Halberstadt fighters with Albatros D-types is uncertain, but this probably started before the end of 1916. No more victories were claimed before January (two unconfirmed on the 23rd), by which time Albatros fighters were likely on hand.
    page 82 :
    on 1 September Josef Jacobs was back at the front with FFA 11, flying Fokker E III 339/16. On 20 September his diary recorded;
    'Yesterday evening I received news that my Fokker biplane was ready. ../..
    page 83 :
    on 18 December; I flew a Halberstadt for the first time in the afternoon at the Jastaschule at Valenciennes. The 7. Armee has not as yet received this type of aircraft. The machine is extraordinarily easy to fly, very fast and stable, and possessed no vices.'
    On 18 January 1917, Josef Jacobs left the Jastaschule to report for combat duty with Jasta 22, where he would fly Halberstadt D II 595/16 (built by Aviatik). He used this nimble machine to score his second victory, which is recorded as occurring on either 23 or 24 January 1917.

OSPREY AIRCRAFT OF THE ACES 118 - ACES OF JAGDSTAFFEL 17
    page 14
    On 14 and 16 November 1916, Georg Strasser recorded flights in Halberstadts.
    page 17
    On 14 November Strasser made a test flight from Metz in a Halberstadt D-type, and on the 15th he led a patrol at 4000 metres over the Pont-ŕ-Mousson sector. On 17 November his logbook recorded two sorties in Halberstadt D II 115/16. Of the first mission, he wrote, ‘Over Pont-ŕ-Mousson, a fight with Nieuport and Caudron at 3000 metres’. On the second flight of that day (lasting 132 minutes) he had another inconclusive engagement with a Nieuport fighter.

OSPREY RICHTHOFEN CIRCUS
    page 7
    Jasta 11 : officially formed on 28 September 1916 and became operational on 11 October, based near Douai and equipped with Halberstatdt biplanes. By the third week of January, Richthofen had obtained some of the new Albatros D.III for his pilots.
    page 16
    Jasta 4 : in September 1916, at least 12 confirmed enemy aircraft fell to the guns of the Halberstatdt pilots, along with eight unconfirmed and one forced to land.
    page 17
    Jasta 6 : the old Fokker E were returned at the end of September 1916 and the Staffel was relocated to Jametz on the Somme, also re-equipped with powerful new Albatros D.I fighters, and later with D.II.
    page 19
    Jasta 10 : officially formed on 28 September 1916. Unit’s equipment originally consisted of a motley collection of Fokker, Halberstadt and Albatros types. In December it had a full complement of Albatros machines.

WIKIPEDIA
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halberstadt_D.II
    When the first true fighter Jagdstaffeln were formed in mid-1916, the Halberstadt was the best fighter available and was used by Oswald Boelcke to demonstrate his famous pioneering air fighting tactics (the Dicta Boelcke) to the new units (although he is also recorded as flying a Fokker D.III at this period).
    As the new Albatros fighters came into service the Halberstadts were quickly replaced, although a few survived into early 1917. Manfred von Richthofen flew a red Halberstadt D.II for a few weeks in February and March 1917, after the spar of the lower wing of his Albatros D.III cracked in combat.

Good work Monse - I'd agree with your findings. Personally I wouldn't rely on any data given in the app without checking it first.
    I have seen word in the past that a handful of Halb D.II were out with the Kek very early in 1916, probably being tested in combat before they went to full production.

"He is wise who watches"

Excellent deep-digging there, Monse.

Here are the number of Halberstadt D.II, D.III, and D.V planes at the front(s) -- from the bi-monthly Frontbestand data.
    The bump at the tail end of the D.II curve was probably use in a quieter front or as squadron hacks.
    (The second chart stacks the numbers, showing the overall Halberstadt-D counts.)
    This doesn't include Turkish use, since Frontbestand only covers German aircraft.

Name:  HalbDFrontbestand.png
Views: 608
Size:  51.5 KB Name:  HalbDFrontbestandStacked.png
Views: 579
Size:  28.6 KB
    Last edited by ReducedAirFact; 01-22-2021 at 22:20. Reason: Added stacked chart & Turkish note

Thank you Honza, easy step by step .
    I won't loose the file again, I've better play than feed the app

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. A companion app in development
    By Honza in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 90
    Last Post: 03-14-2020, 15:17
  2. Database Error
    By Stumptonian in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 107
    Last Post: 02-02-2020, 13:58