Ares Games
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: WWI aircraft database & companion app

The shiny planes you say ... hmmmmm

Actually, yes, i am gonna add the balloons

If anyone wanna help, i need a nice, sharp picture of the brown Nieuport that came with the yellow balloon - on the base with white background, just like Ares does, the same angle ... i own just the other one.

I can bring it to next WoG session in Láďa's store in the worst case - I own it, but my photo skill is pretty poor.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan-Sam View Post
    I can bring it to next WoG session in Láďa's store in the worst case - I own it, but my photo skill is pretty poor.
    Just stick it on the base, put it on a white paper and take a sharp picture with your phone. I will do the rest

Please the same as the official pictures
    Wait for the daylight.

I added the observation balloons into both databases.

Quote Originally Posted by Honza View Post
    Please the same as the official pictures
    Wait for the daylight.
    OK, I'll try it tomorrow in Nexus angle.

I added the observation balloons into both databases.
    Just amazing Jan, this is a fantastic effort but you are a tease! My brain hurts from trying to figure out what else could be lurking behind that tantalising ‘...coming soon...’ button!

Well i was thinking about a "Rule Reminder" feature. You click on it, and it will send an email to your SWMBO with all the data and prices.

Nooo, it woud't even be possible. It will be a complex "Rule reminder" really.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Gareth
    Sorties Flown

Hi new member her, really enjoying the forum and have a good collection of these planes and before lock down played many games of WOG.

This reference app is very good, I’m using it often to quickly and easily check details when matching planes up.

Thanks for developing the app.

Thank you , and welcome to the forum.

Well i was thinking about a "Rule Reminder" feature. You click on it, and it will send an email to your SWMBO with all the data and prices.
    And the icon would be a nuclear explosion mushroom cloud?

Quote Originally Posted by Biggles downunder View Post
    And the icon would be a nuclear explosion mushroom cloud?
    Now, but it will generate divorce forms automatically

Quote Originally Posted by Dan-Sam View Post
    Now, but it will generate divorce forms automatically

Only if you click on what you are not supposed to.

Are you Mad Man!

Many thanks, exactly what i was trying to do, on a poor calc sheet. Nice, complete. The only lack : the PC version is only on line.
    Thanks @monse too for the translation and @redfox who informed the french payers of "le cirque volant".
    waiting for the "do not touch button" , but already a staple for the game !

Merci boucoup mon ami! In the meantime do not touch le button

1. I renamed the Fokker D.VIII to E.V in the model database so it matches with the Ares product.

2. I used the following two French articles on observation balloons, which were emailed to me by Monse (thanks) to update the information on Caquot M and Parseval Sigsfeld.
    http://aerohistory.org/ballons-capti...struction.html
    http://aerohistory.org/ballons-captifs/etrangers.html
    The only baloon i still need soem service data is the Italian Avorio Prassone AP.

3. The state of service of balloons now shows at Scenario Builder availability list.
    Last edited by Honza; 04-18-2020 at 06:31.

Italian balloon Avorio-Prassone appears to have been in service since 1915, according to several data sources.
    Military aircraft of the world Encyclopaedia (E.Angelucci)

Name:  029E9BD7-2BD5-4AA2-8026-450DBA63FCE1.jpg
Views: 674
Size:  86.7 KB
    Name:  CCDFAAED-0BE5-4015-9D1D-A80637AF0E26.jpg
Views: 668
Size:  33.9 KB

For those interested in balloons, here are the translation of the pages I have sent to Honza for its balloon informations pages, concerning the introduction of Caquot M :

Balloon type H :
    French used a copy of Parseval Drachens for the first time in December 1914 on the front line.
    Ballon type L :
    Tested in early 1915.
    Much more efficient than the H type by strong wind conditions.
    Unfortunately due to bureaucratic decision, the building of type H is pursued and French must use the out of date H model.

Balloon type M = Balloon Caquot
    Created by the french officer Albert Caquot and built in early 1916, this balloon gave the french observation corp a big advantage against the German observation from July 1916.

While testing a new Caquot, The English released it accidentally and it fell on the German side, who made many copies of it.
    Ironically, the German used Caquot models several months before the french who still had their out of date model.
    (Unfortunately there is no date about this event).

I renamed the Fokker D.VIII to E.V in the model database so it matches with the Ares product.
    Wouldn’t it be more logical to have the Fokker E.V designation in the Aircraft database listing (or Fokker E.V / D.VIII), instead of Fokker D.VIII, to have the same designation as in Official Models listing (Fokker E.V) ?
    Both terms appear in historical books, and Fokker E.V designation is used by historian like Norman Franks who published many Osprey books.

Name:  22CE8A03-6DBA-47CE-916A-F43F96911471.jpg
Views: 696
Size:  99.1 KB

Yes there is a discrepancy between the main database and the model database now. The thing is i cannot change the name in the main database, because the personal collection feature works with that name. So if i change it, all people who have it in their collection will suddenly have a ghost aircraft in their collection, which they will not be able to delete.

I will simply rename the aircraft back to D.VIII and add a note about the alternative E.V designation.
    Last edited by Honza; 04-19-2020 at 10:22.

I asked Andrea to help me with the information on Avorio-Prassone and he did - a late war design, first action-tested in late January 1918 and briskly adopted by all front line Italian units being superior to Caquots.

Andrea also made it clear that Parseval Sigsfelds were used before 1900 by Germans, and Italian army purchased them from Germans in 1902.
    It looks like French were using their spherical balloons till summer 1914 when they adopted PSs, before they developed Caquots.

I updated the app data again.

I must say, this is fantastic.

Thanks Dave, i've these saved on my computer since 5 years ago

I added damage decks to the Deck Analysis.

Since the damage cards are not shuffled back in, i skipped all the percentual stats as they really work only for the first draw. It is true that the cards are concealed till the first aircraft comes down, but after the first draw, some cards are missing from the deck and thus the stats are not where they were at the beginning.
    Last edited by Honza; 05-02-2020 at 12:57.

I added damage decks to the Deck Analysis.
    Great addition to the app.
    Rep added.

I redesigned the manoeuvrer cards, so they are bigger and match the damage cards. This way i could add the diamond symbol for steep manoeuvrers. I left the red frame for the steep manoeuvrers so they stand out better.

This is really coming along. Love the Italian Balloon too.

Thanks , i am working on a rule reminder section right now.

I've added a simple Rule Reminder feature to it. I will try to cover as many corner cases as possible.

This is just so good - I have exhausted my stock of superlatives!

I can’t remember if this has been asked/answered before but, is there an Android version of this amazing app?

If not, is there a way that the WOG collective could fund it or support it in some way?

Wayne, i call it an app, because it is programmed to do does some fancy stuff, but it really is a simple web page. So any kind of device that has an internet connection can use it.

Is this app available for an iPhone?

Sure - anything that can open that web page.
    http://www.hoho.cz/app/wog/

It has even an icon if you "Add it to your Home Screen". It does anything possible so it looks like an app, hahah.

Name:  preview14.jpg
Views: 557
Size:  225.8 KB
    Last edited by Honza; 05-08-2020 at 06:32.

I've added a simple Rule Reminder feature to it. I will try to cover as many corner cases as possible.
    This Rule Reminder is a tremendous add, with nice sequence pictures.
    Rep point sent.
    A little typo on Immelmann and Split-S : climb counted instead of climb counter.

Do you plan to add :
    - Climb : gain a climb counter. When number of climb counters is equal to climb rate, gain one altitude level.
    - Dive : loose one altitude level and all climb counters.

And also the specification for the Split-S that when the plane has no climb counter, it looses one altitude level and takes a number of climb counters equal to climb rate minus one.

Name:  6DB3B0A8-BE63-4B2D-852C-59DB90BBEF64.jpg
Views: 539
Size:  124.7 KB

Thank you for finding the typo. I may add the climb counter handling later, under a stand-alone section.

Rules Reminder is an awesome addition to an already helpful app. Although it replaced the "Don't Click This" button which was hilarious.

Oh the "Don't Click This" is surely coming back as soon as i have another idea to pair with it. Maybe .... some scenarios ... maybe ...

Quote Originally Posted by malachi View Post
    Rules Reminder is an awesome addition to an already helpful app. Although it replaced the "Don't Click This" button which was hilarious.
    +1, That was funny
    I have completed the "heart" selection so I can vote
    Name:  Aircraft Database and <acronym title=WoG companion app.png Views: 550 Size: 113.7 KB" style="float: CONFIG" />
    One problem to find Kibanov's nieuport which's not in any section (problem of cockade ?).
    Sorting by serie is not the best for me
    This "app" is not rolling stone but I like it

@ Jacques, to search Nieuport 23 Kibanov which is a plane used by Russia :
    - click on Official Models button
    - click on Search Filter : the Russian cockade appears with the red star covering the cockade.
    (actually, Russian and bolchevik planes are grouped in the same section)

Name:  3DF67EB4-80A6-49FD-843D-475C88F994A7.jpg
Views: 488
Size:  75.8 KB

The Nieuport 23 Kibanov also appears in the listing of the Official Models, Nexus serie 3 :

Name:  2E979F1E-0BCE-46E9-AA3C-043958A91C02.jpeg
Views: 490
Size:  165.0 KB
    Last edited by monse; 05-12-2020 at 02:14.

Yes they are. I guess i should make the red star a bit smaller so it is clear that it covers both.

@Jan

- In the Aircraft Database, Voisin 10 appears as a fighter and as a bomber.
    Actually it was in service in bomber squadrons and also in recon squadron, but not in fighter squadron.
    When equiped with a 37mm gun, it was used against ground target and not fitted for aerial combat against other planes.

- Hanriot HD.1 and Nieuport 28 are both french built airplanes.
    In the Aircraft Database they should appear in the French cockade listing :
    Around 800 Hanriot were built under license by Italian company and 400 by the French Hanriot company. Eventhough 4200 Sopwith Strutter were built by French companies and only 1500 by the English Sopwith company, the Sopwith Strutter appears in the Aircraft Database in the English cockade listing.
    Moreover, in the Official Models listing, the Hanriot HD.1 appears in Italian and Belgian listings.

About the Nieuport 28, the Official Models with the US cockade filter show English and French planes used by the US.

So the Official Models listing shows the various nations that used the plane.
    But the Aircraft Database should show the original company nation.

Name:  77A158F0-A4AA-4FD5-B564-FDA8070F37F4.jpg
Views: 474
Size:  171.8 KB

Name:  498DA1E5-2700-4BAB-B0CC-A900E3006FCF.jpg
Views: 485
Size:  114.6 KB

Thanks Simon, i correcter the Voisin 10.
    The national flags in the aircraft database show the main user of the aircraft, not the producer (it is stated in the information window).
    The national flags in the model database follow the particular single airplane.

Thanks Monse, I was cheated by the cockade on the wing.
    And I didn't think both sides of russian planes were together... Well done Honza whith a smaller star.

When a correction is processed do the users have to delete and download the program again or is it automatically updated? Ahhh .... silly me! It is a link to a web page and not an app so of course it is as up to date as the author can make it.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. A companion app in development
    By Honza in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 90
    Last Post: 03-14-2020, 15:17
  2. Database Error
    By Stumptonian in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 107
    Last Post: 02-02-2020, 13:58
  3. Starship Schematics Database
    By BwanaJoe in forum BSG: General Discussions