Ares Games
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: WWI aircraft database & companion app

Default WWI aircraft database & companion app

WWI aircraft database & companion app

After three weeks of evening clicking, the app is finally ready to leave the hangar. I call it an app, but what it really is, this is a web page formatted for smart phones that does all kinds of fancy stuff via Javascript and php. The big advantage is that it can be used on all kinds of devices, the snag is, you have to online to use it.

http://www.hoho.cz/app/wog/

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

1. WWI aircraft database
    This is a list of real aircraft that was used during WWI.
    Click on the name and a window with a brief description of the aircraft will slide out. Majority of the data come from Wiki, and you can find a link to the wiki page at the bottom, under the description. The real data can slightly differ from the game data in some cases, as we found out.
    Each aircraft photo has the best resolution when seen in landscape position.
    Click on the blue little square with "i" to see the help screen.
    Click on the WoG icon to see the game data for officially released aircraft.

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 2374
Size:  113.1 KB

... and this is where the real world passes the relay stick to the game world.

2. The Maneuver deck analysis
    Click on a letter to see the card break-down, and in some cases a short comment on the deck. You will also get a list of aircraft that uses the deck. The unofficial aircraft is not included yet, but soon to be (hopefully).

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 2410
Size:  128.7 KB

3. Scenario Builder
    Proudly called a Scenario Builder, what you get here is a WWI calendar, month by month. Some of the important war events are shown in color/letter code that can be listed out on the help screen.

Click on a month in which your scenario happens and you will get a list of available aircraft for that month.
    Click on "ALL" if you are not interested in any particular month or historical background.

Each available aircraft shows if it was under full service, being introduced or being withdrawn.
    Some aircraft has more game variants, so those ale listed out as #1, #2, #3 ...
    Each aircraft variant is described by a few game parameters:
    S - table speed (= stem of the arrow + the base length = how far the aircraft gets on the table when you fly it straight)
    G - guns
    P - the aircraft value in points

Click on +/- to add/remove the aircraft to/from the display. The display show the total point value for Entete and Central Powers, by which you can balance your scenario, or simply ignore it (in which case there is no point in adding stuff to the display).

The unofficial aircraft is not included yet, but one day - when we have the point values - will be. You still see the unofficial aircraft listed, so if you wanna go historical, you know what to use, there is just no point balancing.

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 2429
Size:  124.4 KB

And when you wanna save it on your smartphone screen, it has a fancy icon.

Name:  4.png
Views: 2724
Size:  144.2 KB

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    15/3/20
    Search Filters
    You can press any number of buttons and the search engine will put "OR" between countries, and "AND" to the rest.
    Pressing "French, Italian, Fighter, Official, by Speed" will result in all French OR Italian aircraft that are fighters AND they were released officially, all that sorted by speed.

Pressing "French, Italian, Fighter, Bomber" will result in all French OR Italian aircraft that are fighters AND bombers or light bombers at the same
    time.

Name:  7.jpg
Views: 2347
Size:  69.5 KB

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2/4/20
    Database of official models and collection recorder.
    This is a database of all officially released models. The listed entries come with some basic info on the release. if you click on a particular model a window will slide out with basic historical info on the crew and the plane itself, as well as a Dave's brief notes on how the model stands in the game.

Adding a model to your collection:
    Slide out the model window and click on the "+" button. This will add a heart by the model entry. If add the same model to your collection, and the heart will show the number of
    instances of this model in your collection.
    If you click on the "-" button, you will remove the model from your collection.
    Your collection will be saved in so called a "local storage", which is on every device. So when you create your collection on your phone, you won't see it on your PC.
    The aircraft in your collection will be marked by a little heart icon also in the scenario builder - so you can immediately see what you have at your disposal.

Name:  4.jpg
Views: 2347
Size:  132.8 KB

It comes with its own filters

Name:  6.jpg
Views: 2376
Size:  422.8 KB

You can press any number of buttons and the search engine will put "OR" between them. The heart symbol filters out just the models in your collection.
    Pressing "French, Italian, Heart" will result in all French OR Italian aircraft that are in your collection.

A good trick. The models are sorted by edition. If you want them sorted by name, open the filter and press submit. Filter sorts it always by name and when you don't press any filter button, you will get all models sorted by name.
    Last edited by Honza; 04-03-2020 at 01:48.

Looks fantastic, Jan
    Very fluid and easy to navigate.

All I have to do now is figure out how to save on my iPhone ...

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    Looks fantastic, Jan
    Very fluid and easy to navigate.

All I have to do now is figure out how to save on my iPhone ...
    Press the icon that looks like an arrow coming out of a square, and then "Add to Home Screen"
    Take care, Jan

Quote Originally Posted by Honza View Post
    Press the icon that looks like an arrow coming out of a square, and then "Add to Home Screen"
    Take care, Jan
    Got it!
    I didn’t scroll down far enough when I was looking earlier.
    Thanks for the quick response.

Hm, I am not seeing such an icon, either on the app home page, or on the app info/links page. Using iPhone's proprietary browser, safari. Cycled the 'block pop-ups' button, still no joy. Hm...

Found it on mine, but where or how, I'm a victim of the digital divide : )

That looks a tremendous piece of work, Jan!

Someone on FB offered his sister to marry to compensate for my time spent on this. I like that sort of thinking.

Sooo cool!

Tank you very much Honza!
    Voilŕ le soleil d'Austerlitz!

Great job.
    Last edited by mikejr74; 03-13-2020 at 15:29.

Name:  5.png
Views: 2705
Size:  41.6 KB
    This is an iPhone download thing? I don't see this on my Android tablet.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    This is an iPhone download thing? I don't see this on my Android tablet.
    Yes, that is just for iphone people. I have an iphone and Kindle at home, but i am gonna see my neighbours who have androids and try to find the way for you.

Wow, this just so amazing - thank you so much for pulling this together.

I’ve just had a brief play with it on my iPad and it is super slick.

I already have one suggestion or maybe i missed how to do this: It would be great to be able to filter the list of aircraft to show just British or just French or even British and French or...

But stupendous work all the same!

Quote Originally Posted by Biggles downunder View Post
    I already have one suggestion or maybe i missed how to do this: It would be great to be able to filter the list of aircraft to show just British or just French or even British and French or...
    Thank you. I didn't add filters yet because i wasn't sure if they are handy or over-the-top feature. But two people have already suggested it. So it becomes a plan

Blimey, this is a bit of all right
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Wow, great job. Thanks for the hard work.

Very cool. thanks for all the work you've put in on this.

Now. One minor typo. In the Scenario Builder, you have RCF - RFC in Italy. I think you meant RFC - RFC in Italy.

Again, excellent work.

Thanks, the next release will have it corrected

I'm wondering if there is some sort of award that can be given to a member who has put this much time and effort into something like this - a slippery slope I know.

There are very creative members in this forum who must have put dozens of hours in their excellent files, scenarios and articles, probably more than me. Actually .... there is a little humble Fuel donation button in the Info section ...
    Just working on the Filter.

Name:  prew11.jpg
Views: 2301
Size:  102.2 KB

Those filters are looking good! Is there one for just official miniatures?

Here’s a thought (probably a bear to implement though: a downloadable version that lets me mark the contents of my collection and then filter on that!

The one with Wog ico is to filter out the official aircraft. I am planning to write a collection support to it. I just need time, that one will be a lot of work

Thank you guys for your donations, i already got a bottle of whisky as all pubs are closed down here.

I added the search filters to the app today - the description is appended to the first post.
    It works for both Aircrfat Database and the Scenario Builder. The app also displays how many airplanes were found under the search conditions.

I wanted to make the search simple and useful, and it was real pain in the butt to put it all together, so if you find a bug please let me know.

Have fun, Jan
    Last edited by Honza; 03-15-2020 at 13:14.

Jan, when you go into the aircraft database, how are the aircraft sorted by default? With your new filter by nation, will they display alphabetically on those pages?

Hi Keith,

the default order priority is: side > country > name

This is valid even for filters, so when you list Germany and GB it will go: Germany by name > GB by name

Only when you select "by speed" it overrides it all.

Hi Jan

I tried searching using the ‘official miniatures’ icon (the red plane icon) and I think there are some results that shouldn’t be there eg the Felixstowe.

Did I make the wrong assumption about that icon?

There was a bug when you searched after resetting the form. I've corrected it.

Quote Originally Posted by Biggles downunder View Post
    Hi Jan

I tried searching using the ‘official miniatures’ icon (the red plane icon) and I think there are some results that shouldn’t be there eg the Felixstowe.

Did I make the wrong assumption about that icon?
    Felixstove was officially released as a card (in Flight of Giants), hence it has official stats.
    The icon shows all the stuff officially released - as minis or cards.

Felixstove was officially released as a card (in Flight of Giants), hence it has official stats.
    The icon shows all the stuff officially released - as minis or cards.
    Oh, ok, I thought it showed just miniatures.

I will add a miniature collection feature to it, but that is quite a task and i need time

Description on the M Deck has a small typo:

What stands out about this deck?
    One of the best decks in the game. The angular momentum of a rotary engine that allows for easier right turns. Ares errated the broad sideslips to non-steep, which makes teh deck even better.

Should be ‘the’. Also I’m not sure about the word ‘errated’ but am not sure what it should be replaced with.
    Last edited by Biggles downunder; 03-16-2020 at 01:15.

Done. Errated is a word often used by gamers on BGG.

My goodness, the more I explore this, the more I find! What a great job you have done - well done!

A real tribute to you as well as all those who pulled together the data under pinning this!
    Last edited by Biggles downunder; 03-16-2020 at 03:06.

I corrected some of the dubious Wiki data with help of Dave (Flash) and my old Czech book on WWI aircraft.
    So Airco D.H.4 although very fast wasn't that fast yet in 1917, as it had a less powerful engine. In 1918 it got R-R and became a R-R bad ass.
    Also, Albatros D.III had speed about 175 km/h. It also upgraded its engine, and speeded up from like 165 km/h.
    And so did a few other planes.
    I am gonna carry on doing this for some time, so the aircraft my jump up and down when you sort it by speed.

Work on the "My collection" in progress.

Name:  prew12.jpg
Views: 2208
Size:  83.2 KB

Work on the "My collection" in progress.

Name:  prew12.jpg
Views: 2208
Size:  83.2 KB
    Wow, very timely. I was just about to start looking for a database to run on my iPad!

And i am filling the database again ...

Name:  prew13.jpg
Views: 2135
Size:  299.1 KB

I've added turn diameters to decks today. The trigonometry was developed by Kubajs of our wing. It dragged a bit, because i assumed the turn radius can be counted from the distance between the top centre points of the base, however no, it must be counted from the centre point of the base, as they both travel on different circles. Funny thing is that smaller angle you have the smaller the error is, so i kept overlooking it first.

All right, so i defined the tightest turn diameter as the distance between the base centre points after the aircraft executed their best 180° turn.

Some of the airplanes do not travel along a circle, but more like a potato shape, as their 90°turns are restricted. And so their tightest turn is 90+60(+60 - see you can't even get clean 180, so i had to help it somehow). In those cases i used average diameter between their 3x 60 and 2x 90 turns.

Name:  zatacka.jpg
Views: 2169
Size:  318.4 KB
    Last edited by Honza; 03-27-2020 at 14:52.

Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    Interesting!
    Thank you i will add the missing turns (some bomber decks) as soon as i can put my hands on the cards
    Hopefully i'm gonna finish the official minis section soon. It takes time to look for information and pictures of the crews of more than 160 different models. I am adding Dave's comments on each type as well (with his permition).
    Last edited by Honza; 03-28-2020 at 01:39.

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. A companion app in development
    By Honza in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 90
    Last Post: 03-14-2020, 15:17
  2. Database Error
    By Stumptonian in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 107
    Last Post: 02-02-2020, 13:58
  3. Starship Schematics Database
    By BwanaJoe in forum BSG: General Discussions