Ares Games
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Corona Virus

Well, Zoe, that sucks, but game pieces are something typically shared by all the gamers involved, so possibly as great a route of distribution as is currency. Just makes sense.

CoVaCON 2020 (4-5 April, Courtenay, BC) has been affected by the British Columbia Health Officer's directive that gatherings of 250+ people are not allowed for, at least, the next two weeks.

My local college hasn't closed, but my instructor had attended a conference in Portland, Oregon, last week, and has been ordered into quarantine for two weeks. So, no face-to-face classes with him for two weeks, even if the college doesn't close.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Quote Originally Posted by Dan-Sam View Post
    [JOKE]So it is damn good you can "send the EU £350 million a week to NHS"! [/JOKE]

Seriously, it is just a joke, nothing offensive.
    Unlike the Corona Virus which is damned offensive!
    Kyte.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by zenlizard View Post
    Well, Zoe, that sucks, but game pieces are something typically shared by all the gamers involved, so possibly as great a route of distribution as is currency. Just makes sense.
    My usual sources of isopropyl alcohol for paint thinning have all dried up.
    But..I did score a 20 litre can of it, 100% industrial solvent/cleaner quality, from a car parts supplier.

It will need letting down with 1 part water to 2 parts cleaner for maximum effectiveness vs this virus, 66% is about optimal. Too weak doesn't work, too strong just causes the lipid layer to thicken before destruction, so less effective. But with 60-70%, 1 minute exposure and it's gone.

Not useful as hand sanitiser, even with glycerine added, there will likely be small traces of impurities, methanol, propanol, etc. Its for cleaning only, not suitable for medical use. Or in a true emergency where such risks are acceptable.

But really, really good for cleaning keyboards, doorbells, mobile phones, and anything where dilute bleach isn't appropriate. Dip a KFC cleaning wipe in it, and you have a great way of opening doors, pushing lift buttons etc leaving them disinfected. Use dilute chlorine bleach on most hard or smooth surfaces, much cheaper. Sodium hypochlorite 0.1% - 1 in 1000.

Spray Alcohol (not bleach!) on aircraft and cards, leave a minute to dry, almost instant disinfection. Use alcohol based hand cleanser before use, wear a mask so droplets don't contaminate the table - also sprayed with the alcohol cleaner beforehand - and you have hospital grade decontamination. If you have facilities, wash hands with soap and water beforehand, rubbing vigorously. This completely destroys coronaviruses, the rubbing about half, the soap the rest.

Never thought the RAAF Chemical and Biological Warfare Civil Defence course I did as a teen would ever come in handy. Checking with the WHO, no significant changes. They now recommend adding a trace of dilute hydrogen peroxide as well as glycerine in hand washes, that's it.
    Last edited by Zoe Brain; 03-16-2020 at 18:02.

It was almost literally like Christmas Eve, without the music and good cheer.
    Karl[/QUOTE]

"good cheer" thats a good one.

Hope everyone is medically ok, obviously a lot of us are practically housebound at the moment what with the ever increasing restrictions, thank god for the internet, at least we can stay in touch

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

And thanks to our game system and software engineers we can play our beloved game. Join the RAF or Luftwaffe in Fire on the Skies campaign

As of today Chez Kyte is closed, and only medical or shopping trips will be undertaken.

Looking into my crystal Gin glass I forsee a lot of painting and attempts to catch up with lots of solo games and AARs.
    Thanks for your good advice Zoe.

Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    ... I forsee a lot of painting and attempts to catch up with lots of solo games and AARs...
    An opportunity for those who want to try solo gaming to give it a go.
    I was wondering about re-posting some late WW1 OTT games with rules suggestions for people to have a go at it.
    Not sure there'll be any takers but might alleviate someone's boredom - even if it's just mine ! Maybe someone could do the same for WW2.

Sapiens qui vigilat "He is wise who watches"

Zoe mentioned a Civil Defense class. I never thought my NBC training would do me any good as a civilian.

I went to the commissary today and saw something that to me was strange. For those of you that were in the military you should find this strange. When I was in one of the isles there were 2 soldiers stocking the frozen food area. One was a SSG (E-6). When the other turned around I was stunned to see he was a MSG (E-8). But then in another isle I saw a SGM (E-9) stocking a shelf. Not sure how that worked out but seeing him do what his troops have to do means something.

Leading from the front eh!

Rob.

Greetings from Rome, Italy. Since several of you asked personally, I'd give a little update to you all.
    In lockdown, 10th day. Home working, and my daughter having classes online since schols closed two weeks ago. I went out three times, shortly, for food, soap, medicines. Food avalable, toilet paper too, alcohol and disinfectants are not - aisles are empty of those, here. Shops, bars, restaurants, cinemas and almost everything else are closed. Even in open supermarkets and shops, "unnecessary" items have been recently put out of commerce - stationery, as an example (and with remote lessons going on, we'd need some actually). No gatherings - meaning by that two or more people within the same meter. Events cancelled. Nothing special, I guess that many of you are starting to experience more or less the same. In Spain, for example.
    Economically, it's pretty a disaster. All friends with shops, tourist guides, bed&breakfast managers are already with no income. Things will get quickly worse every day.
    Apart for shopping raids, for the rest of my time I am closed at home with my family, no visits nor walks around. Police patrols check and fine people going around with no good reason - arrest if they have Covid symptoms. Yes, a limit to freedom. But needed, IMHO.
    Family and friends are all fine, but not all their relatives especially in the North of Italy. Some are ill and recovering, hospital crews included, or not recovering and in ventilation - brought 1.000 km South by military flights to relieve local hospitals and to free beds. The doubling effect quoted some posts ago brought to a huge rate of illness. Ventilation capacity of hospitals is almost saturated in certain places (and if this will happen, death rate will go steepely up). We have hundreds of deaths every day. In Bergamo there is no time enough to burn corpses, long and gloomy army convoys bring them somewhere else.
    Most of us tought that authorities were overreacting, at first. Most of us are now regretting that they did not grasp perfectly the situation and decided to act before.
    Our health care is not perfect at all, but it's great that we have a right to be all cured paid by our taxes. This is not a battle you win alone, if people around you fall ill and can not be healed properly. Doctors and crews are heroic, anyway.
    Isolation seems to keep the infection rate down, so in Rome all is still under control and hospitals can still manage. We also receive patients from outside, having a great hospital for infective illnesses in my part of the city. The first cases in Italy were treated here.
    Overall, I am lucky. Missing nothing but good walks and seeing friends by person. But I can wait for that. Lockdown was declared up to 3rd of April, but it will probably be prolonged and we'll probably get stricter measures in meantime. Just crossing fingers, and hoping that the rest of the country will not become as the hell up in the North. And that countries behind us can make a better prevention.
    Take care, my friends. Stay at home the most you can, enjoy family and hobbies, keep in contact with far off friends. And let's wait. After giving up Prague, Doncaster is definitely my next goal to see as many of you as possible.
    All the best!

BoB 2020 is already underway. All are welcome. Rules and stuff are already posted. (Luftwaffe could do with some more squadrons otherwise it will be the RAF attacking France lol)

Neil

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    An opportunity for those who want to try solo gaming to give it a go.
    I was wondering about re-posting some late WW1 OTT games with rules suggestions for people to have a go at it.
    Not sure there'll be any takers but might alleviate someone's boredom - even if it's just mine ! Maybe someone could do the same for WW2.
    See you on the Dark Side......

Thanks for the post Andrea.
    What you say confirms what our press is telling us.
    We are also only going out for food and medical needs, although I did slip out to post a letter this afternoon. Never saw another soul on my walk to the post box and back.
    Keep safe my friend, and also your family.
    Finally thank you for providing me something to do whilst I am in lockdown. I never thought that your games would be such a life saver.
    Rob.

Stay safe Andrea, all the best to you and your fanily and friends.

Chloroquine and a couple other antimalarials are starting to look promising, just as they did with Wuhan's cousin SARS back in '02.

T&P to you and yours, Andrea, and the rest of the Ares team.
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

Good to hear from you Andrea. Biggest thing is for you and your family to be safe. I hear things are pretty bad in Italy so your health is more important.

What we're hearing about Italy is scary. So glad you and your family are safe. Same as you, my wife and I only go out for essentials. Luckily we are in a remote spot so we can at least go out for a walk outside.

Quote Originally Posted by clipper1801 View Post
    Still sounds suspiciously like G & T . . .
    Chloroquine tablets aren't the same as the quinine in tonic water. But by all means, a little light self-medication for morale never hurt...
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.

Both my wife and I teach in higher education at different institutions...both of our schools are closed (mine for 2 weeks, hers for 3 weeks) as they transition to online classes for the remainder of spring and all summer classes. My daughter was in grad school in the U.K. but her school (the Royal Conservatoire) has also closed and she has returned to the states as of yesterday (I did the several hundred mile round trip to pick her up). We are sheltering in place (see attached picture) but only go out to walk the dog in the woods. Many war game activities I planned to attend over the next several months have been cancelled. These are historic times, I fear. I hope all on this site are well and weather the pandemic successfully.
    Bill
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TP cartoon.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	78.7 KB 
ID:	283783

Smile

Thanks for your update Andrea!
    Glad your immediate family are OK.
    Yes Italy has been very badly affected so Good Luck in the coming weeks,
    My beloved Formula One has been badly affected with multiple races already cancelled.
    Fortunately I am participating in the OTT Solo Campaign here on the Forum so can enjoy that in isolation!

Got sent this today, on a email chain about Corona Virus.

Name:	image2.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	140.9 KB 
ID:	283791

Funny thing, but... Tim [FlyingHelmet] came to mind.

Sorry, Tim.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

glad you and yours are safe andrea. hopefully this will all pass soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Angiolillo View Post
    Greetings from Rome, Italy.... Missing nothing but good walks and seeing friends by person...
    Good to hear your perspective of events in Italy Andrea and pleased to hear that you and yours are well.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Chloroquine tablets aren't the same as the quinine in tonic water. But by all means, a little light self-medication for morale never hurt...
    Don't care for that word light DB.
    Kyte.

Be safe my friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Don't care for that word light DB.
    Kyte.
    The other problem is tonics for the American market aren't allowed to have quinine anymore... pisses me off to no end that I can't get Canada Dry Bitter Lemon or Collins Mixer anymore because of it.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    The other problem is tonics for the American market aren't allowed to have quinine anymore... pisses me off to no end that I can't get Canada Dry Bitter Lemon or Collins Mixer anymore because of it.
    Why is that DB?
    No problems down here in Oz.

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    Why is that DB?
    No problems down here in Oz.
    You have your SPIGs (Stupid People In Government) with their visits from the Good Idea Fairy, we have ours.

Coronavirus Pandemic ��, day 8
    If anyone is still out there, I’m alive but struggling. Food is running low. Down to only 459 days worth. My hands are sanitized and my butt is super clean. Power still on, but for how long? ? ? Missing human interaction. ( hang on, my Wife wants me to take out the trash) ok back, I fear dark days ahead. News is all bad! ( Government is sending all adults in US $1000.00 just because) Last few friends have leapt from buildings to their death, (or near death... most have single story homes so they are badly bruised). Basic necessities are gone though-NBA��, NHL����, NASCAR��, NBL��, PGA��, Midget tossing���������� all gone. Basic Survival is a definite challenge. ( hang on, I spilled my Banana Split ) ok where was I, oh ya I vow to persevere to the end, I am a survivor! Please, if there is life out there, communicate! ��������������������

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. View Post
    Coronavirus Pandemic ��, day 8
    If anyone is still out there, I’m alive but struggling. Food is running low. Down to only 459 days worth. My hands are sanitized and my butt is super clean. Power still on, but for how long? ? ? Missing human interaction. ( hang on, my Wife wants me to take out the trash) ok back, I fear dark days ahead. News is all bad! ( Government is sending all adults in US $1000.00 just because) Last few friends have leapt from buildings to their death, (or near death... most have single story homes so they are badly bruised). Basic necessities are gone though-NBA��, NHL����, NASCAR��, NBL��, PGA��, Midget tossing���������� all gone. Basic Survival is a definite challenge. ( hang on, I spilled my Banana Split ) ok where was I, oh ya I vow to persevere to the end, I am a survivor! Please, if there is life out there, communicate! ��������������������

i cant wait to see the movie adaptation "i am not legend".

I know this is somewhat sacrilegious but, if you need some downtime from bullets, jams, smoke and fire, you could always pull out your copy of this board game:

Name:	CD7EDBC4-EF5E-4D85-A8D8-1F9AE40EBCB4.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	90.4 KB 
ID:	283814

Name:	IMG-20200317-WA0004.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	58.5 KB 
ID:	283815

Loved this message I saw... your parents and grandparents had to go and fight a war, all you have to do is stay at home and sit on the sofa, don’t f*ck it up !!!

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Spoke with my sister in PA today and she said there is a commercial on tv for a pizza place that if you buy a pizza you get, wait for it, a free roll of toilet paper.
    I remember a few years ago there was a show about something like this. I think it was in Atlanta and a whole area was blocked off with shipping containers with a few cops stuck in the quarantine zone. Don't remember the name of the show but.

Thanks, Dave. That was classic.

How my pets are handling the shut in:

Dog - OH BOY! YOU ARE HERE ALL DAY. THIS IS THE GREATEST AS I CAN SEE YOU AND LOVE YOU AND BE WITH YOU ALL DAY. I CAN FOLLOW YOU FROM ROOM TO ROOM AND I'M SO HAPPY AND EXCITED BECAUSE YOU ARE THE BEST HUMAN, BEING WITH ME SO MUCH.

Cats - what the #&@$ are you still doing here?

Quote Originally Posted by Von Scharf View Post
    How my pets are handling the shut in:

Dog - OH BOY! YOU ARE HERE ALL DAY. THIS IS THE GREATEST AS I CAN SEE YOU AND LOVE YOU AND BE WITH YOU ALL DAY. I CAN FOLLOW YOU FROM ROOM TO ROOM AND I'M SO HAPPY AND EXCITED BECAUSE YOU ARE THE BEST HUMAN, BEING WITH ME SO MUCH.

Cats - what the #&@$ are you still doing here?
    that is so true my friend

One I think Flying Helmut might appreciate.....

Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

looks like a page from D&D 2 or 3

Quote Originally Posted by Guntruck View Post
    One I think Flying Helmut might appreciate.....

Oh. YES!!!!

I own several of those (plus a self bow and 4 crossbows!!!!)
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

I just tried it and it works, and I didn't even need to thrang Tim.

Rob.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_8963.jpg   IMG_8962.jpg  

Celestial IT department...

We've had a problem with the year 2020.

Ok, have you tried turning it off, and back on again?

Yes. It shorted out and set Australia on fire... and now it's got a virus.

I have an Enfield rifle with bayonet (from my ACW days) that should do the trick.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Brain View Post
    Celestial IT department...

We've had a problem with the year 2020.

Ok, have you tried turning it off, and back on again?

Yes. It shorted out and set Australia on fire... and now it's got a virus.
    Hysterical!

Well the Gov here in MD closed all non essential stores today. Hope I have enough paint to get me through.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. S-38 and a Corona!
    By clipper1801 in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-31-2012, 07:07