Ares Games
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Corona Virus

Ohio on lock down at midnight.
    Of course, since I'm in an essential industry or service, I get to work overtime.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Public schools hear in Virginia just got cancelled for the rest of the school year even though Virginia doesn't have many cases. And all non-essential businesses are to be closed down.

Quote Originally Posted by BobP View Post
    Well the Gov here in MD closed all non essential stores today. Hope I have enough paint to get me through.
    Same here in MASS.

Mail order Bob, mail order. I just ordered some bases for my BSG asteroids. You know all businesses are nervous now as they sent me a very nice thank you note for a $15 order.

People sent home for being in high risk groups, lots of non essential stores closed, state schools still open at the moment. Things change daily, and worst of all ....... Tuesday night WoG games cancelled.

On Lock Down here in Oregon as well.

Working from home for the foreseeable future.
    I feel for the grocery workers and medical personnel who have no other options - they are doing a stellar job.

Quote Originally Posted by Future Pilot View Post
    Public schools hear in Virginia just got cancelled for the rest of the school year even though Virginia doesn't have many cases. And all non-essential businesses are to be closed down.
    The problem is to avoid the virus spreading before you have many cases. Because the virus shows its effects within averagely 11/12 days, so the effect of contagion is seen far later, the situation is often already far worse than it appears, the lockdown is effective two weeks later. And also because, with each affected passing the virus with 2/3 people, the pandemic explodes all of a sudden and numbers go out of control in a very short time - see what's happening in Spain. Or remember the chessboard and rice legend (http://www.dr-mikes-math-games-for-k...hessboard.html).
    In regions here where the lockdown came before we had big numbers visible, we have many deaths too but the pandemic is quite under control. In regions where the lockdown came after we already had many cases, it's a total disaster.
    Sorry, you already have a lot of information on the media. I did not want to add more. I just wanted to point out this since in Italy we have a close view on what happens with time. And this can be hard to understand if you are far away in a place that is still relatively safe. So I will not write more.

I see people playing alone with the solo rules and with the app. Or face to face with others by Zoom. If you miss your game gatherings, try that. And let's wait for the pandemic to pass.
    Blue skies!

Quote Originally Posted by Angiolillo View Post
    The problem is to avoid the virus spreading before you have many cases. Because the virus shows its effects within averagely 11/12 days, so the effect of contagion is seen far later, the situation is often already far worse than it appears, the lockdown is effective two weeks later. And also because, with each affected passing the virus with 2/3 people, the pandemic explodes all of a sudden and numbers go out of control in a very short time - see what's happening in Spain. Or remember the chessboard and rice legend (http://www.dr-mikes-math-games-for-k...hessboard.html).
    In regions here where the lockdown came before we had big numbers visible, we have many deaths too but the pandemic is quite under control. In regions where the lockdown came after we already had many cases, it's a total disaster.
    Sorry, you already have a lot of information on the media. I did not want to add more. I just wanted to point out this since in Italy we have a close view on what happens with time. And this can be hard to understand if you are far away in a place that is still relatively safe. So I will not write more.

I see people playing alone with the solo rules and with the app. Or face to face with others by Zoom. If you miss your game gatherings, try that. And let's wait for the pandemic to pass.
    Blue skies!
    The Chessboard and Rice story is pretty amazing. Thanks for that, Andrea. I'll be passing that story around locally where some people are really not clued in to why we are doing the social distancing measures.

And even if the young people don't think they will suffer, we have an senior's residence in Vancouver that suffered almost all our British Columbia fatalities, because one staff member unwittingly brought the virus into the facility when they returned home from a vacation, because they were not showing any symptoms. One man went from ill to dead in a few hours (existing medical health was extremely poor, but still).
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

UK is effectively shutdown as of an announcement by the PM last night, appears we are tracking Italy's rate of infection, trailing it by a couple of weeks. Hopefully this action is enough to slow the infection rate so it is manageable for the NHS.

"He is wise who watches"

Just south of the US / British Columbia border. Border is closed to casual traffic. My dentist called and said my Apt for next Mo. will need to be rescheduled. My daughter called and I talked to my grand kids. She didn't want to risk my health by coming by. Her husband is working from home my kid is a dental hygenist and is currently unemployed. An assisted living facility on the south side of town has 32 confirmed cases and two deceased. It is serious don't laugh it off.

Tony
    Last edited by pflanzer; 03-24-2020 at 00:50.

Quote Originally Posted by Guntruck View Post
    One I think Flying Helmut might appreciate.....

dont have any polearms so i guess ill have to make due with my m1913 patton cavalry sabre.

Czech Republic has been locked up since two weeks ago (if i remember well). I am at home with my little son, sitting on my butt, and soldering with my respirator on (as always - that's what i do for living). So at least it wasn't a shock for me. My dad lives alone in the country side, but we don't dare visiting him. I believe the discipline and restrictions will help to overcome the crisis.

We have just been given the lockdown from the PM in a speech last night.

Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by pflanzer View Post
    Just south of the US / British Columbia border. Border is closed to casual traffic. My dentist called and said my Apt for next Mo. will need to be rescheduled. My daughter called and I talked to my grand kids. She didn't want to risk my health by coming by. Her husband is working from home my kid is a dental hygenist and is currently unemployed. An assisted living facility on the south side of town has 32 confirmed cases and two deceased. It is serious don't laugh it off.

Tony
    The world is falling apart and no one really thinks it is funny. These silly cartoons and things are just a way bewildered folk are coping. I am sure there is no disrespect for anyone or the situation intended. We are all in this together and praying that things get better soon for everyone. Take care as much as you can people.

Quote Originally Posted by milcoll73 View Post
    dont have any polearms so i guess ill have to make due with my m1913 patton cavalry sabre.
    Stick it on the end of a pipe, then
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	swordstaff.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	8.2 KB 
ID:	283928
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Well, now it's gotten to the point where the local weather stations are reporting COVID-19 cases in my county. And yes, Montgomery County (Maryland: there are other Montgomery Counties in other states in the US) is the hotbed of Maryland's outbreak. We're not quite on lockdown, but our esteemed governor has now ordered all "non-essential" businesses to close, as well as all the other measures. Fortunately, pet supply stores are on the "approved" list, so my leopard gecko won't end up starving because of this crap.

Gallows humor is one of my coping mechanisms. Also, watching glue dry. While I was so engaged last night, in fact, a package arrived for me, with: MORE GLUE TO WATCH DRY!

Quote Originally Posted by zenlizard View Post
    Gallows humor is one of my coping mechanisms. Also, watching glue dry. While I was so engaged last night, in fact, a package arrived for me, with: MORE GLUE TO WATCH DRY!
    When you get tired of glue, try watching paint dry, for a change of pace

Karl

The New York City metro area now has 5% of the worldwide cases of Covid 19, and 60% of all U.S. cases. The New York Times calls it an "astronomical surge" in the number of new infections. We are approximately 90 miles from the City, so we fall into this category. My daughter, until recently, was in grad school in the U.K. (the Royal Conservatoire) but her school closed and she was sent home 6 days ago. My only significant venture out was the almost 200 mile round trip to the airport to pick her up. We are bunkering in except to walk the dog in the woods. Groceries and basic supplies are getting harder and harder to find (we are getting ours delivered, and many items are out of stock). I fear we may be approaching the situation depicted in the picture attached. My and my wife's Spring semester have been cancelled and we are hurriedly converting our classes to an online format for when we go back to our students electronically on Monday. These are challenging and historic times. To all on this site, please be well.
    Bill

Name:	tp cartoon 2.jpg 
Size:	72.0 KB 
ID:	283940
    Last edited by NewFlyBoy; 03-25-2020 at 09:24.

Did anyone play "The Division"?

All the best to our US friends!
    Voilŕ le soleil d'Austerlitz!

For any of our members who work in US hospitals, Harbor Freight Tools is donating their entire stock of N95 masks and a few other things to the effort. Details at https://em.harborfreight.com/pub/sf/...8nlwl2Q-Wppyxw
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

Do you guys play any solo games while locked at home?

Speaking for myself, Honza, I've never been able to focus on playing a game solo. I own a number of interesting boardgames that are designed for solo play, I sometimes set up and play the first couple turns of a board game solo in order to explore the game, but I never sustain interest to play the game out. It seems that for me, social interaction with my fellow nerds is an essential element of game play.

In semi-quarantine, I get my nerdish interaction through the internet, and get my hobby kicks from modelling. If this goes on long enough, I might try a boardgame solo.

I get it I am reading the rules of RAF which was on my shelf for about 7 years. I love A Touch of Evil and Thunderbirds, but those are not war games at all. I was thinking about getting Conflict of Heroes, it is supposed to have a brilliant AI. Another really good one with a decent AI (digitalized by myself) is Hitler's Reich, but if you think about this one, wait for the rewritten rules (i am currently being part of the rewritting team), because the original ones are about the worst rulebook in existence.

Received an email from one of the LGS's I go to and even though the store is close they will have curb pickup. Doing a bit extra for their customers. And now a question

Since Shapeways is in NY do you think it would be ok to order from them at this time ? When I check they are still taking orders.

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    When you get tired of glue, try watching paint dry, for a change of pace

Karl
    See this thread:
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...orkbench/page3

posts 107 & 108

Since Shapeways is in NY do you think it would be ok to order from them at this time ? When I check they are still taking orders.

What I'm doing is leaving packages unopened for four days, which is supposed to be enough time for the virus to die. I dunno if it's truly true, but that's what I'm doing.

All restaurants, bars, gyms, etc. have been closed in New York by Governor's order. Many other businesses have closed. We now have 7% of the world's COVID 19 cases. I have read that the virus lasts about 3 days on hard surfaces. If Shapeways is still open for business, I think letting the package sit for a while before handling it (and washing your hands virgorously after) would probably be OK. I should follow my own advice as I had two cases of wine delivered today and brought them in promptly.....

Something interesting and under-reported... https://www.dailywire.com/news/epide...revises-model?

Take Daily Wire with a grain of salt, but on this one I looked into the experts cited and there seems to be at least some "there" there.
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Something interesting and under-reported... https://www.dailywire.com/news/epide...revises-model?

Take Daily Wire with a grain of salt, but on this one I looked into the experts cited and there seems to be at least some "there" there.
    Well, for what it is worth, yesterday alone 85 people died in New York City from the virus, the total in NYC is now 388. U.S. death total surpassed 1,000 last night.
    Last edited by NewFlyBoy; 03-26-2020 at 13:47.

It would be nice if this is true.

I had a really nasty bug in January, that might have been just the regular flu. Being that I thought I caught it at the local community college, which has students from around the world, including China, I thought I might have contracted COVID-19. The symptoms were not quite the same. However, I couldn't stop coughing, and couldn't lie down to sleep. The initial symptoms were nasty, but the cough went on for a few weeks. So, probably not COVID-19.

If it was, I am probably now immune. But, without being tested, I won't know. A lot of people out there could now be immune, but because they never showed symptoms, they will likely never be tested to find out. The people who attended the Pacific Dental Conference in Vancouver, 5-7 March, may have had a fatality. One of the Dentists on Vancouver Island has died, and tests are being done to see if it was COVID-19 related. Which means there is probably a bunch of the attendees that were exposed, and are now immune. Only the people going to hospitals are being tested. 14,000+ people attended the conference.

Link: Globalnews.ca - Dentist Dies
    Note: This has not been confirmed as a COVID-19 related death. Still waiting for the report.

Anyway, this is really communicable. Without testing everyone, we may never have a complete picture of just how dangerous it is. Modeling is only hypothetical, and is based on available information. We don't have the whole picture, so the model is flawed. Is that in our favor? Time will tell.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by NewFlyBoy View Post
    The New York City metro area now has 5% of the worldwide cases of Covid 19, and 60% of all U.S. cases. The New York Times calls it an "astronomical surge" in the number of new infections. We are approximately 90 miles from the City, so we fall into this category. My daughter, until recently, was in grad school in the U.K. (the Royal Conservatoire) but her school closed and she was sent home 6 days ago. My only significant venture out was the almost 200 mile round trip to the airport to pick her up. We are bunkering in except to walk the dog in the woods. Groceries and basic supplies are getting harder and harder to find (we are getting ours delivered, and many items are out of stock). I fear we may be approaching the situation depicted in the picture attached. My and my wife's Spring semester have been cancelled and we are hurriedly converting our classes to an online format for when we go back to our students electronically on Monday. These are challenging and historic times. To all on this site, please be well.
    Bill

Name:	tp cartoon 2.jpg 
Size:	72.0 KB 
ID:	283940
    The Province of British Columbia has just banned the resale of food and medical supplies during the COVID-19 "State of Emergency". This is to stop profitteers from hoarding and reselling essential supplies. We'll see what this does to all those people who cleared out the shelves in the past few weeks.
    Mike

I prefer to go the original sources rather than rely on general media reports where the journalist is probably not necessarily a good scientific-journalist and may very well have taken the comments out of context and without any caveats. That applies to both the optimistic report in the Daily Wire and the pessimistic report in the NY Times. Far too many unknowns. I've been doing some modelling with analysts in the US. There are still many unknowns. We're testing various assumptions against the real world data (tests done, positive cases, etc.) but there are still many viable combinations. However, I think Dr. Ferguson commented that the optimistic case in the Daily Wire doesn't seem to be consistent with the data. In any event his report is that he believes the UK NHS can cope with the current measures in place and that the UK can return to some degree of normalcy with a lot of testing and strict follow up of cases.

Direct links to the Imperial College and info as of today:

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/news/1964...-mps-lockdown/
    https://www.imperial.ac.uk/mrc-globa...sease-analysis
    https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/imp...26-03-2020.pdf

The NY Times called the situation in NYC "apocalyptic" -- one hospital had 13 patients die from the virus yesterday alone. I saw video of the U.S. Army setting up tents and refrigerator trucks outside of several NYC hospitals as temporary morgues to handle anticipated overflow of the deceased. Dr. Birx in the White House is saying the modeling they have does not reflect the reporting in the media and asked for moderation in the message being put out. However anecdotally, Doctor after Doctor in NYC has reported hospitals running out of beds, ventilators, ICU beds, PPE, and masks within the next two days. With over 8.5 million people in the city, this could get very bad if the Doctors on the front lines are correct in their estimates.

Please see NY Times story linked below -- first NYC nurse treating patients with covid 19, contracts the disease and dies. Boston Globe reporting over 160 Boston health care workers now sick with disease. These health care workers are heroes -- putting their lives on the line for the rest of us. U.S. now has over 82,000 cases -- passing China and Italy for most in world.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/26/n...unt-sinai.html

I placed myself in voluntary isolation yesterday. I’m at high risk and had to deal with the public. Too risky. I’ll wait for the worst to pass by and see if I can get back to work.

Just found this thread and read the whole thing. Been following the whole thing since mid January (reseaching a couple hours a night on You Tube). Best medical channel is Dr John Campbell out of the UK, Watch his daily updates for a good feel as to where we are at.

Found some of the earliest posts par for the course (Just the flu, they are over reacting, TP jokes, ect), but I was concerned from day one. Now it is world wide, many countries are in lock down, and hospitals are getting slammed. Wife has been working from home 60 to 70% of the time (does payroll for a a banking system that covers the country) and her office that held over 1K people now has only a hand full that come in. (Yeah, she has one of those allowed to be out notes). Watched the morons in New Orleans, Florida Beaches, and yesterday New York pier who still do not get it. This does affect the young, it spreads like wild fire, we have not caught a quarter of the infected with tests, and it is going to get worse.

Plus side is we shut down the house 3 or 4 weeks ago, and other then the wife's work trips or the very rare store run have been locked down. Grabbed 3 boxes of N 95 masks (30 total) back in early Feb when you could get them a buck apiece in bulk at Meynard's. Am a Y2K survivalist from the old days so beans, bullets, and band aids are still stocked up. Funny thing is the normal people are panic shopping and blaming the Prepper types but they were stocked years ago and are not the ones cleaning shelves off. Matter of fact most of us are getting a good laugh watching the flurry of activity in stores and gun shops. Truth be told though it is not funny, we help where we can (been doing what I can posting on You Tube for months with advice on stocking up), and hope a useful weapon in this war can be found soon.

Down side is due to the wife's job have had to stay in our home just north of Detroit. It is getting bad here and people have a history of rioting when they do not get their way. At this point fortressing up and holding down the fort waiting for things to get better. Food ain't an issue, have a few weeks water stocked in case of water system failure or contamination, and have been doing my own reloads and casting for 25 years.

This will pass, those who take precautions and be careful will be fine, and the idiots who think it is just the flu, crowd public places, and have 3 days of food in their home will likely thin out quickly. It is serious, It will get worse, We will see more serious lock downs, and we will get through it, it just may take a few years (Spanish flu was 3 waves over 2 or 3 years and killed like 50 million people world wide). Stay safe, prep for worse case, and have a plan. If I am wrong (Hey, Y2K remember?) it will pass and you can eat your preps later. If I am right and you did not plan ahead....well we wont go there. One more thing to consider, this is world wide, China has been shut down for over a month, and demand has sky rocketed. I worked in Manufacturing for 20 years and was a production scheduler for 3, also was a member of APICs (American production Inventory Control) so have a good understanding of Just in Time foolishness. Even if the virus was defeated tomorrow and life went back to normal the supply chain is broken, there will be more shortages in the future, prices are going to go up even more, and the stock market has taken a sinking shot below the water line. Signs 6 months ago showed we were in the early stages of a recession before the Fed emptied their closet of cash into the system. Now the markets have crashed, precious metals can not be gotten at any price because of the physical shortage, and many are out of work and in debt up to their ears.

Couple of good You Tube channels
    Dr John Campbell...daily reports based off of peer reviewed medical publications. Use as a base line for others.
    Preppernurse1....Homesteader living north of New York, is a retired nurse and biker (go figure) who gives daily updates and opinions. Fairly down to earth and helpful.

Plan ahead guys....please

This has been a public service message form a old guy hunkered in his basement with his bang toys and 13 hungry cats. At least till the wife calls him upstairs to do the dishes.
    Last edited by Shadowcat; 04-01-2020 at 12:43.

Finally some good news out of Italy, via AFP:
    "Rome (AFP) – Italy saw its first drop Saturday in the number of patients intensive care treatment for the coronavirus that had stretched the Mediterranean country’s world-class healthcare system to breaking point.

Civil protection service chief Angelo Borrelli called the drop from 4,068 on Friday to 3,994 on Saturday in the number of critical patients an important moment in Italy’s battle against COVID-19.

“This is a very important data point because the figure is decreasing for the first time,” Borrelli told reporters.

“It is important because it allows our hospitals to breathe. This is the first time that this figure has fallen since we started managing the emergency.”

Borrelli also cast figures showing Italy’s death toll rising by 681 to 15,362 — officially higher than in any other country — in a positive light.

“This figure is constantly decreasing,” he said.

“I want to remind you that (on March 27), we almost had 1,000 dead.”

Italy recorded 969 deaths that day — a record that stood until the United States reported nearly 1,500 fatalities between Thursday and Friday.

The daily rise in new infections across Italy has also slowed to just four percent.

But Italian officials are still not declaring victory and instead are preparing the country for at least another month of life under a general lockdown.

The drop in critical care patients “is a strong signal but it should absolutely not be read as a sign that we have overcome the critical stage,” the government’s scientific council head Franco Locatelli said.

“It shows that the measures that we have been applying have had success.”

I live in the most populated county in the U S. I’m no spring chicken, and I’m not as healthy as I use to be. So I’m confined to quarters until further notice. So I’ll be busy learning the game and fly a few missions. Maybe something worthy of an AAR.

For the record, I've worked with many things almost every day of my adult life that could be described as "the SECOND you do not respect this it kills you" (like heavy machinery, deadly weapons, Significant Others, Exes, just to name a few) so my commentary here is not blase or flip, but rather a moderated, considered position of "healthy respect and calculated risks" rather than the panic many in the mainstream media seem to be trying to incite. This bug is nothing to casually dismiss, but like the Bubonic Plague or HIV it's out there and we need to start figuring out how to get on with our lives around it rather than being paralyzed by fear--key words here are "prudent, calculated risk."

I mean, no matter what you do life is gonna have risks just by waking up in the morning, and the only way we go on with daily life is to not dwell on the zillion and one random things like having a stroke while dropping a log or brain cancer from your microwave that the world can try to kill you with every day. I guess what I'm trying to say is the important thing is to keep a balanced perspective.

Thumbs up

For the record, I've worked with many things almost every day of my adult life that could be described as "the SECOND you do not respect this it kills you" (like heavy machinery, deadly weapons, Significant Others, Exes, just to name a few) so my commentary here is not blase or flip, but rather a moderated, considered position of "healthy respect and calculated risks" rather than the panic many in the mainstream media seem to be trying to incite. This bug is nothing to casually dismiss, but like the Bubonic Plague or HIV it's out there and we need to start figuring out how to get on with our lives around it rather than being paralyzed by fear--key words here are "prudent, calculated risk."

I mean, no matter what you do life is gonna have risks just by waking up in the morning, and the only way we go on with daily life is to not dwell on the zillion and one random things like having a stroke while dropping a log or brain cancer from your microwave that the world can try to kill you with every day. I guess what I'm trying to say is the important thing is to keep a balanced perspective.
    Sound advice DB!

Saving the world (RAF 1940: Battle of Britain). I actually quite like the lockdown. The life slowed down, nothing is doing on downtown, i have plenty of extra time for my hobbies ... it does have a positive side.

Name:	raf.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	272.6 KB 
ID:	284826

I bit of humour :

Name:	tumblr_18213d221209cbfa756dd3b4e9a48104_aec64b1e_1280.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	94.0 KB 
ID:	286698

I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

That is too funny!

Nice one
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Good one Karl.
    I will now let you in on this advice.

I’m passing this on because it worked for me today. A doctor on TV said during the Corona Virus Epedemic lock down, in order to have inner peace in our lives, we should always finish things that we start. Since we could all use more calm in our lives, I looked around the house to find things I’d started and not finished. I finished a bottle of Merlot, a bottle of Chardonnay, a bodle of Baileys, a butle of wum, the mainder of Valiuminium scriptins an a box of choclutz. Yu has no idr how fablus I feel rite now, Sned this to all yur frenz
    who need inner piss, an telum u luvum.

Kyte.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. S-38 and a Corona!
    By clipper1801 in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-31-2012, 07:07