Ares Games

Thread: OTT CYM - Mission 1 - Back To Front - July 5th 1916 - teaticket

Default OTT CYM - Mission 1 - Back To Front - July 5th 1916 - teaticket

ObLtn Konrad Dahl roused up the Eagles for their first pre-flight briefing since the Jasta was pulled out of the line for a rest. It had been a restful month off and then half a month to set up a new aerodrome, a luxury of time they will not see again. Not a lot of flying time had been lost though as the weather in this sector had not been the best for flying.

“Nice to see you all looking strong and rested. It will be good to get up in the air again and back in business”.

The briefing room was packed, not all had a seat as the new aerodrome was not as spacious or as well equipped as the last. Four of the Eagles had to stand at the back of the room for lack of seating. Lothar Ochs, Paul Wolff, Alfred Müller and Hans Pfieffer leaned against the back wall.

Konrad went on, “We have some new aircraft in our hangar for your approval. Seems the enemy’s new biplanes that have an edge on our eindeckers have sparked designers back home to make some of our own doppeldeckers. We have a new Fokker biplane that has high hopes. It is designated as the a D.I.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fokker.19.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	15.8 KB 
ID:	283345

We also have a special eindecker with a second machine gun”.

Name:	E.IV.jpg 
Size:	70.7 KB 
ID:	283342

Paul nudged Lothar so that he loses his balance. He doesn’t fall but there is enough of a distraction as he regains his balance to stop Konrad from speaking. Not the least embarrassed but more amused, Lother sees that all eyes are on him and quips, “At least in our planes we’ll have a seat, our new planes do have seats, ja”?

Everyone laughs but Konrad. He just shakes his head while smiling at Lothar.
    “Yes, our new planes do have seats. Just make sure you don’t get shot in your’s”, Konrad quickly replied to more laughter.

“Seriously, these new planes should be carefully evaluated in real combat. Paul, Lothar, you decide which you will fly”. Konrad gives the new birds to two of his better pilots.
    “I’ll be flying with you to observe them myself. Let’s hope they live up to expectations”.

As soon as the mission briefing is over Paul, quick as ever, bolts out the door to get his choice of the new planes. Lothar tries to catch him but Hans is in the doorway first. Lothar gets past Hans but not before Paul is out of sight already in the hangar.

As Lothar rounds the hangar opening, he sees Paul already sitting in a plane.
    “I should have known”, Lothar points a finger at Paul sitting in the double machine gun eindecker.
    Paul chuckles, “You are twice the flyer I am so you obviously should have twice the wings”.

Konrad and Hans finally arrive and get ready as the blackmen prepare their eindeckers.

Konrad offers Paul his old Fokker but Paul with exaggerated politeness declines the offer. He really likes the idea of two machine guns.

So Konrad mounts the grey Fokker, Paul the new E.IV, Hans the reliable Pfalz and Lothar the new D.I.
    Since this is an evaluation flight, Konrad leads them on a patrol looking to pick a fight.

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	122.3 KB 
ID:	283343

The French have been busy patrolling over the lines so Konrad was confident they would get to test out the new planes. Soon three French Nieuports are spotted.

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	119.7 KB 
ID:	283344

They also spot the Germans and turn to meet them.

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	121.4 KB 
ID:	283346

Name:	4.jpg 
Size:	117.5 KB 
ID:	283347

Paul gets off his first burst with the twins. Not being used to the E.IVs being slightly nose heavy his rounds pass beneath the Frenchman.

Noyer fires back but fails to find his target.

Name:	5.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	115.2 KB 
ID:	283348

Lothar turns to get out from behind Paul with Hans following.

Name:	6.jpg 
Size:	112.8 KB 
ID:	283349

Lothar and Noyer line up on each other but neither have any joy of watching tracers fly into the enemy.

Name:	7.jpg 
Size:	107.3 KB 
ID:	283350

Lother and Noyer both pull off to unjam their weapons and are fired upon while doing so. Allard misses Lother and Hans has the same fate as Lother with silent guns.
    With four different planes to ready, did the blackmen mistake which ammo went to which plane?

Name:	8.jpg 
Size:	122.5 KB 
ID:	283351

Konrad and Paul reverse to get back to the fight.
    Allard puts a couple of holes in the grey Fokker.
    The double weight of lead from Paul punish the Bebe’s engine.

Name:	9.jpg 
Size:	120.7 KB 
ID:	283352

Paul has to pull up as Allard flies across his bow. Keeping focus on Konrad, Allard closes in to very close range. To his despair he badly fouls his Lewis.

Name:	10.jpg 
Size:	110.4 KB 
ID:	283353

Hans bites his lip as he frantically works to clear his machine gun. One eye on the job at hand and one eye on the French plane he is tailing, he continues the chase.

Name:	11.jpg 
Size:	119.9 KB 
ID:	283354

Name:	13.jpg 
Size:	128.8 KB 
ID:	283355

Just as he clears his gun the Frenchman reverses right in front of him.
    Bullets bounce off his engine and nick an oil line while his few rounds miss before another jam.

Name:	14.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	123.9 KB 
ID:	283356

Hans and Noyer then pass by too close for comfort.

Name:	17.jpg 
Size:	124.4 KB 
ID:	283357

Allard’s jumpy engine tells him to head home. He positions himself tight to the tail of the eindecker for protection.
    Konrad can’t believe his luck that the Frenchman is not shooting. Now, how to reverse the situation?
    Lothar tries hard to line up a shot at Allard but Konrad is in his way.

Name:	12.jpg 
Size:	118.8 KB 
ID:	283358

The Nieuport’s engine turns rougher, the vibrations tells Allard he has little time to get home now.
    Konrad turns to get behind the sputtering Nieuport but it stalls and they keep position.

Name:	15.jpg 
Size:	99.6 KB 
ID:	283359

Lothar, Paul, Remy, Noyer, all take a deep breath before closing in again.

Name:	18.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	118.5 KB 
ID:	283360

Allard fools Konrad and gets past him making his run for home.

Name:	19.jpg 
Size:	103.1 KB 
ID:	283361

Name:	24.jpg 
Size:	117.8 KB 
ID:	283362

Name:	25.jpg 
Size:	109.3 KB 
ID:	283363

Paul gets caught in the sights of two Frenchmen. His engine does not respond well to being hit and starts to misfire. Paul knows how valuable this aircraft is and immediately decides to get the new machine home.

Lothar slips behind Paul to have a go at Noyer.

Name:	20.jpg 
Size:	106.4 KB 
ID:	283364

The new Fokker, definitely less nimble than the Nieuport but a more stable gun platform, gives better than it receives.

Name:	22.jpg 
Size:	108.9 KB 
ID:	283365

Paul barely evaded Remy. This is Paul’s opportunity to limp away and he takes it.

Name:	26.jpg 
Size:	112.3 KB 
ID:	283366

Konrad gains the attention of Remy St Martin to no good end. Remy does not miss an opportunity to punish an enemy.

Name:	30.jpg 
Size:	108.4 KB 
ID:	283367

They pass by as if in a ballet, almost touching wingtips.

Name:	33.jpg 
Size:	102.6 KB 
ID:	283368

Lother times his Immelmann perfectly. He lets loose into the back of Noyer’s Nieuport.

Name:	27.jpg 
Size:	109.1 KB 
ID:	283369

Name:	31.jpg 
Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	283370

Noyer’s riddled plane somehow survives the stress of his reversal maneuver. In a long range exchange with Lothar, Noyer takes a bullet to the chest as his rounds find a weak point in the new Fokker. The D.I collapses and drops to the earth with Lothar fighting the controls all the way down.

Name:	32.jpg 
Size:	115.0 KB 
ID:	283371

Allard and Paul both limp home with their damaged engines doing their best to keep them aloft.

Name:	29.jpg 
Size:	107.1 KB 
ID:	283372

Name:	36.jpg 
Size:	78.6 KB 
ID:	283373

Hans doesn’t give Noyer a second to relish his kill and scores a minor hit at long range. The surprised Noyer looks up from the falling Ochs and wildly pulls the trigger.

Name:	34.jpg 
Size:	112.6 KB 
ID:	283374

The bullets from Hans are the last the Nieuport can take. Unseen to Hans, Noyer doesn’t even try to keep the Bebe from falling. The blood loss from his chest wound is too great and Noyer passes out.

Name:	35.jpg 
Size:	100.8 KB 
ID:	283375

Just as the two falling planes hit the ground a second trio of Nieuports appear on the scene.

Name:	38.jpg 
Size:	122.4 KB 
ID:	283376

Konrad spots the new arrivals. With two to one odds against, Konrad knows the situation is not good. He sees Hans heading towards him and thinks he may not be aware of the new trio. Konrad fires a flare letting Hans know its time to head home.

Name:	39.jpg 
Size:	121.4 KB 
ID:	283377

Konrad turns to face Remy with the intent to chase him off. Hans needs a clear path home and Remy is the only one who has a chance to stop him.

Name:	40.jpg 
Size:	113.0 KB 
ID:	283378

Konrad has to take fire on his approach but his well aimed shots damage Remy’s controls.
    Remy is gutted that he can’t turn into the Huns. The only thing he can think of is to turn away and reverse.

Name:	43.jpg 
Size:	109.1 KB 
ID:	283379

The trio close in and Guerin in his excitement takes a very long shot.

Name:	44.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	120.1 KB 
ID:	283380

When Konrad and Remy pass, Remy gestures his frustration at the Hun.

Name:	45.jpg 
Size:	102.9 KB 
ID:	283381

The cluster of three Nieuports are a bit too close to each other. They jostle for position and waste a bit of energy and time to avoid each other. Hans doesn’t look back and puts some space between him and the trio.

Name:	46.jpg 
Size:	119.5 KB 
ID:	283382

Name:	47.jpg 
Size:	120.2 KB 
ID:	283383

Remy turns off to set up his reversal while the Eagles make haste for safer skies.

Name:	48.jpg 
Size:	125.4 KB 
ID:	283384

Joubert and Dubois try their best to catch the fleeing Hun.

Name:	49.jpg 
Size:	117.3 KB 
ID:	283385

Name:	50.jpg 
Size:	123.6 KB 
ID:	283386

As they get closer Konrad signals Hans emphasizing the importance of getting out of this fight.

Name:	51.jpg 
Size:	112.8 KB 
ID:	283387

The four Frenchmen join up but its too late. The pair of eindeckers make their escape.

Name:	57.jpg 
ID:	283388

Konrad doesn’t know what to make of the performance of the new planes. What he witnessed was not conclusive. Paul had to leave the fight early and Lothar, what happened? Konrad hopes Lothar survives with a bit more conviction than usual. He hopes for the best for Lothar, but he also needs to know what happened to the D.I.

Butcher’s Bill

Bouledogues de la Republique

Name:	62.jpg 
Size:	106.9 KB 
ID:	283389
    Lt Remy St. Martin RTB 0 Kills
    S/Lt Allard FRTB 0 Kills

Name:	64.jpg 
Size:	114.5 KB 
ID:	283390
    S/Lt Joubert RTB 0 Kills
    Sgt Henri Guerin RTB 0 Kills
    Sgt Marie Dubois RTB 0 Kills

Name:	63.jpg 
Size:	107.6 KB 
ID:	283391
    S/Lt Noyer SD WIA ET 1 Kill
    C 4 -1(sd) -1(wia) = 2 KIA

Kaiser’s Eagles

Name:	58.jpg 
Size:	92.5 KB 
ID:	283392
    Ltn Pfeiffer RTB 1 Kill

Name:	59.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	100.2 KB 
ID:	283393
    ObLtn Konrad Dahl RTB 0 Kills

Name:	60.jpg 
ID:	283394
    Ltn Paul Wolff FRTB-E 0 Kills

Name:	61.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	100.3 KB 
ID:	283395
    Ltn Lothar Ochs EXP FT 0 Kills
    C 6 -3(exp) = 3 injured, 2 = miss 2 missions

Final score

Bouledogues
    1 shot down, +3
    1 FRTB, +2

Eagles
    1 shot down, +3
    1 FRTB, +2

5 each, draw
    Last edited by flash; 03-09-2020 at 05:16.

Rep gun is jammed, but a great game. Sorry to see the debut of the Fokker D.I was not so auspicious. Maybe next time. It will be interesting to see how the other AAR turn out for the Adlers.

As usual for me, my new planes take one for the team. At least I have 3 more D.Is to get in the air.(this one will fly again once recovered and repaired) Outnumbered 6:4 I feel getting a draw is a good outcome.

Did it feel strange fighting against your old team?

Thumbs up

Ye Gods. You had more Jambs that at a Farmers Market!
    That was a pretty even fight before the second wave of Nieuports arrived Peter.

Shame you did not get a chance to evaluate the Fok D.I before it went down but there will be other chances.

Have some Rep to welcome you back to the Front.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowDragon View Post
    Did it feel strange fighting against your old team?
    Yes! I found I war rooting for Remy and Guerin who I had flown the most.

I flew Ochs and was not treated well with my new D.I. Typical!

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    Ye Gods. You had more Jambs that at a Farmers Market!
    That was a pretty even fight before the second wave of Nieuports arrived Peter.

Shame you did not get a chance to evaluate the Fok D.I before it went down but there will be other chances.

Have some Rep to welcome you back to the Front.
    Thanks Baz.

Yes, the second wave did me in. Luckily I was facing the right direction when I had to head for the barn with Pfeiffer.

More D.Is to evaluate for sure. Hope they get some success or we'll replace them ASAP with D.IIs in August! Time to get N17s in the air too.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    As usual for me, my new planes take one for the team.
    I know that feeling all too well. For me, "Shrinkwrap Syndrome" for you "Shapeways Syndrome"

A very good effort. Lovely planes and photos as is always the case with your AARs.
    As Paul mentioned, it must have seemed strange flying against your former squadron.
    The KIA must have been extra painful. REP on the way to help offset that.

Nice to see you don't suffer the duplicate photo issues that some of us do - wonder what the cause is?

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    I know that feeling all too well. For me, "Shrinkwrap Syndrome" for you "Shapeways Syndrome"

A very good effort. Lovely planes and photos as is always the case with your AARs.
    As Paul mentioned, it must have seemed strange flying against your former squadron.
    The KIA must have been extra painful. REP on the way to help offset that.

Nice to see you don't suffer the duplicate photo issues that some of us do - wonder what the cause is?

Thanks Pete. I'm sure it won't take long for me to get my head back straight. Can't let the Kaiser down!

I've been lucky with the double imaging. I'm, on Windows 10 and Chrome. Works so far for me.

Well that was quite a shindig - honours even when all said and done but, as you said, felt like a win against the odds.
    Really enjoyed it, great pics and planes as usual, a good game for your return to the dark side !
    It might have made things a little easier if your French chaps had followed the previous flight rather than come in at the other end - I caught myself doing exactly that myself before I was too committed which saved the life of one Eagle pilot.

Onkel says:

Well done Eagles - you did well against the odds but it will be hard explaining to HQ what happened to their new Fokkers - they won't be happy about it but at least Hans got the swine that caused the loss, that's something. Won't be long before someone pins some scrap iron to his chest.

Aspirant Andre Baux will be joining the French Bulldogs as a replacement.
    Last edited by flash; 03-09-2020 at 05:15.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Well done Peter, your former flight did well against your current one. Odds of 3 to 4 should have given the new German planes the advantage in the initial scrap but once the new patrol turned up that was pretty much the end of it.
    Sad for Noyer to get the kill and then be killed.

Very interesting first encounter after your return to the front. The EIV looks awesome with its' two machine guns. I'm thinking it will come into its own fairly soon. As for the Fokker DI, I haven't quite prepared mine fully yet, so I was interested to see how yours performed. A bit unlucky perhaps, but it looks the business.
    A real good fight that one, but like my own, it suffered from way too many gun jams Might have been a very different outcome otherwise. Well fought RIP S/Lt Noyer
    REP inbound for an excellent AAR

Similar Missions

1. AAR OTT-CYM Mission 1: Back to Front - July 5th 1916 {ShadowDragon}
    By ShadowDragon in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 04-04-2020, 14:12
  2. AAR OTT CYM - Mission 1 - Flash Back to Front - 5th July 1916
    By flash in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-04-2020, 12:31
  3. AAR OTT-CYM Mission 1: Back to Front - July 5th 1916 {Stumptonian}
    By Stumptonian in forum Over the Trenches