Ares Games

Thread: OTT CYM - Mission 1 - Flash Back to Front - 5th July 1916

Default OTT CYM - Mission 1 - Flash Back to Front - 5th July 1916

They'd spent the best part of a couple of weeks transiting back to France and their old stomping ground, packing the squadron in its entirety, shipping it's all it's contents and the men, then unpacking to be ready for the arrival of the pilots, their crew and machines at the landing ground they'd occupied just a few weeks ago. Accepting the aircraft, checking them, servicing them, preparing them for war once more.
    It felt good to be back and on familiar ground too, the machines ready, the pilots keen to get back to their hunting ground, over the trenches.

To that end the Bulldogs go on patrol over the lines to reacquaint themselves with the lay of the land and note any changes to the positions, or, local landmarks...
    And to see what, if anything, else they can find.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_1709.JPG 
Views:	58 
Size:	210.2 KB 
ID:	283290
    Lead: 2Lt Phillip Atterley (CDL tail); L: F/Sgt Robert Pynne (CDL); R: 2Lt Alan Keye (PC10)

Uncle had warned them that their old nemesis 'The Kaiser's Eagles' were reportedly back at the front too, maybe they'd get lucky and bump into them. Maybe they should be careful what they wish for.

Name:	SAM_1708.JPG 
Size:	212.2 KB 
ID:	283291
    Lead: Obltn Willi Kirmaier (green); R: Ltn Walter Gandert (plain); L: Ltn Stefan Loerzer (striped); 2L: Ltn Walter Gandert (red)

The patrol had been uneventful for the most part - the ground war had stagnated in terms of movement but the considerable expenditure of artillery ammunition had changed the look of the area in the weeks they had been away, blurring the lines, obliterating landmarks - soon it would be time to turn for home, that's when they saw them on a reciprocal course dragging their coat tails over the front lines. Wings waggled - guns test fired and both sides angled for an attack.

Name:	SAM_1711.JPG 
Size:	218.9 KB 
ID:	283292

Name:	SAM_1710.JPG 
Size:	215.1 KB 
ID:	283293

Alan Keye wrong footed their leader and opened up but did no appreciable damage to the green Fokker - their wingmen had better luck - rounds crashing through the fabric of both his and Atterley's DH.2's.

Name:	SAM_1712.JPG 
Size:	209.9 KB 
ID:	283294

Then all hell broke loose - as the opposing sides fully engaged.
    Keye traded ineffectual blows with a dirty red Fokker as the striped one ducks beneath him to avoid a collision. Atterley turned into the Hun leader and exchanged heavy close range bursts - each jamming their gun - Pynne adding to the tally when he loosed off a long range effort on the green Fokker as the plain Fokker slid past him.

Name:	SAM_1714.JPG 
Views:	59 
Size:	217.9 KB 
ID:	283295

Pynne dropped a fraction and unloaded another long range effort - this time on the lower striped Fokker as the green one slid over his nose.

Name:	SAM_1715.JPG 
Views:	57 
Size:	185.3 KB 
ID:	283296

As the protagonists parted company to clear jams and assess the damage the striped Fokker climbed rapidly & whipped into a turn - his nose pointing down.

Name:	SAM_1716.JPG 
Size:	216.9 KB 
ID:	283297
    ( I don't give him a shot unless he's at close range)

Pynne tried to keep on the enemy but they are slippery Fokkers !

Name:	SAM_1717.JPG 
Size:	193.7 KB 
ID:	283298

Atterly had better luck though and clobbered the stripey Fokker for no damage in return

Name:	SAM_1718.JPG 
Size:	202.1 KB 
ID:	283299
    (realised he wan't at short range when prepping AAR so ignore that 2 !)

Meantime all the Fokkers have reversed course & are heading back to the fight, Pynne hoped to swing around behind them & decided to change the pan on his Lewis

Name:	SAM_1720.JPG 
Size:	210.4 KB 
ID:	283300

Keye met the dirty red Fokker head on - he set it ablaze but is wounded in the brutal exchange of lead

Name:	SAM_1721.JPG 
Size:	199.5 KB 
ID:	283301

Atterley was caught by the green Fokker as he changed the pan on his Lewis and just had to take the hit

Name:	SAM_1722.JPG 
Size:	201.9 KB 
ID:	283302

Moments later Keye is in the same boat and also took a close range blast from the Hun leader

Name:	SAM_1723.JPG 
Size:	225.6 KB 
ID:	283303

Who flashed past & climbed into a fancy reversal allowing him to pour fire into Keye's helpless machine and knock it from the sky.

Name:	SAM_1724.JPG 
Size:	208.6 KB 
ID:	283304

Pynne finally got into position with a fresh pan in place - dodged the stripey Fokker as it reversed again and got a close range burst into the plain one as it vainly attempted to avoid him

Name:	SAM_1728.JPG 
Size:	187.6 KB 
ID:	283305

He also avoided the victorious green Fokker which latched on to Atterley's machine at long range but did no damage

Name:	SAM_1730.JPG 
Size:	199.3 KB 
ID:	283306

His gun recharged Atterley sharply reversed and drilled the green Fokker in much the same as he had done to Keye, it seemed the pilot flinched - he returned fire but no discernible damage was done - was he hit ?

Name:	SAM_1733.JPG 
Size:	199.1 KB 
ID:	283307

Pynne swapped ineffective fire with the dirty red Fokker as it turned across his bow.

Name:	SAM_1734.JPG 
Size:	202.0 KB 
ID:	283308

Passing the green Fokker Atterley picks out the plain Fokker for some attention and his rounds clattered through it's cowling, the engine faltered... it was time for it to escape,

Name:	SAM_1735.JPG 
Views:	56 
Size:	192.7 KB 
ID:	283309

Attracted to the smoke and flame like a shark to blood in the water the follow on flight of Bulldogs appeared on the scene looking to get in on the action

Name:	SAM_1736.JPG 
Size:	198.1 KB 
ID:	283310
    Lead: Lt Bill Foldes (N.11); L: 2Lt Ali Gaither (N.16 - D); R: 2Lt Cam Paine (N.16 - F)

They are soon in the thick of it as the wounded Hun leader is headed for home and he engaged Foldes as they closed, damaging his controls

Name:	SAM_1737.JPG 
Size:	192.1 KB 
ID:	283311

Again all hell breaks loose as the formations pass each other.
    Gaither exchanges heavy blows with the green Fokker; Foldes gets shot up by the plain Fokker as it limps for home with a duff engine, he jams his gun firing back; Paine puts a shot into it in support of his leader; Atterly takes a close range burst from the stripey Fokker even as he puts in a long range shot on the now burning dirty red Fokker as it slid past Pynne.

Name:	SAM_1738.JPG 
Size:	226.4 KB 
ID:	283312

Passing the green Fokker Gaither then batters the plain one who did no damage in return

Name:	SAM_1739.JPG 
Size:	214.3 KB 
ID:	283313

The green Fokker - it's pilot seemingly wounded - made good it's escape followed shortly by the plain Fokker & the dirty red Fokker, it's fire out but badly damaged took it's cue from it's leader to leave the battle area. The pilot of the stripey Fokker chanced his arm by turning back to face the Tommy's...

Name:	SAM_1743.JPG 
Size:	208.0 KB 
ID:	283314

But a near miss with Pynne & the turning Nieuports was enough to convince him it was time to go home too and he dived away

Name:	SAM_1744.JPG 
Size:	192.8 KB 
ID:	283315

Name:	SAM_1746.JPG 
Views:	55 
Size:	180.3 KB 
ID:	283316

Butcher's Tally:

Eagles:

Obltn Willi Kirmaier (green Fokker) FRTB-W 01 kill
    Rolled 6 +1RTB -1WIA = 6 Injured - Skip 1D3 Scenarios. Rolled 5 = skip 3. Total Skips 3.

Ltn Walter Gandert (plain Fokker) FRTB-E 0 kills

Ltn Stefan Loerzer (striped Fokker) RTB 0 kills

Ltn Walter Gandert (dirty red Fokker) RTB 0 kills

Name:	SAM_1749.JPG 
Size:	206.0 KB 
ID:	283317

Bulldogs:

2Lt Phillip Atterley (DH.2 CDL tail) FRTB-D 0 kills.

2Lt Alan Keye (DH.2 PC10) SD-EXP-ET / WIA / 0 kills
    Rolled 7 -3EXP -1WIA = 3 Injured - Skip 1D6 Scenarios, Rolled 2 = Skip 2
    E&E: Rolled 8 -1EXP -1WIA -1WIC -1BEL = 4 - Captured and escaped! - Skip 1D3 Scenarios. Rolled 4 = Skip 2 . Total Skips 2

F/Sgt Robert Pynne (DH.2 all CDL) RTB 0 kills

Name:	SAM_1747.JPG 
Size:	208.2 KB 
ID:	283318

Lt Bill Foldes (N.11) RTB 0 kills

2Lt Ali Gaither (N.16 - D) RTB 0 kills

2Lt Cam Paine (N.16 - F) RTB 0 kills

Name:	SAM_1748.JPG 
Views:	55 
Size:	200.6 KB 
ID:	283319

Victory Points:

Bulldogs - 2 x FRTB = 4pts

Eagles - 1 x SD = 3pts
    - 1 x FRTB = 2pt

Eagle victory 5pts to 4pts !

I flew Pynne's DH.2, I was pretty hopeless, when I did get a shot the results were less than spectacular but at least I made it back intact !
    I was fairly pleased with how the game played out & how well the flight leader's did in the scrap, even the arrival of the latecomer's did not unduly effect the outcome - most of the damage had been done prior to their arrival.
    I used my Alt & the Lewis ammo rules, which were painful !
    Last edited by flash; 03-07-2020 at 11:46.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Uncle says:

Well that was a bit of a carve up and no mistake !
    A machine downed - his pilot lost behind the lines; most of the machines damaged - this is not an auspicious start to our new campaign here. At least it sounds like we wounded their flight leader & did plenty of damage to their machines even if we couldn't knock them down.
    Hopefully we'll do better next time.

ObLtn Willi Kirmaier picks up his first victory & his Pilot's Badge (and a stay in hospital !)
    ObLtn Johannes Achilles will return to lead the Eagles.
    Last edited by flash; 03-08-2020 at 03:50.

Thumbs up

Well that was a less than auspicious start to the new Campaign Dave!
    Still no losses in crews so that's something.
    It was actually quite a close game with only one point the difference,
    Looking forward to playing mine next week.

A right proper dust up. Closely fought on both sides.

Nice looking reinforcements you have there.
    I like your customized E.IIIs as well.
    A close one that went to the other side - reminiscent of my mission.
    Have some rep to ease the pain ...

Thanks chaps - it's the way it goes sometimes, I was surprised that there were no more losses with all those cards flying about so there were some lucky pilots out there. It was a good scrap though and that's what it's all about.

As to my reinforcements Pete - the lead N.11 was bought last week, starting life as Turenne, the other pair, the N.16's, I've had a while now, Balloon Buster's stripped of their rockets.

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post

As to my reinforcements Pete - the lead N.11 was bought last week, starting life as Turenne, the other pair, the N.16's, I've had a while now, Balloon Buster's stripped of their rockets.
    I have extra Turennes (and others) purchased specifically for repaints with British roundels (as well as N.17s for later)
    I had better get on it ...

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    I have extra Turennes (and others) purchased specifically for repaints with British roundels (as well as N.17s for later)
    I had better get on it ...
    On deck I have two Shapeways Sopwith 1 1/2 Strutter Bombers, two Valom Fokker EIII which I will convert to EII (there are still some active at the end of August and they have - or should have - the same stats as EIII - so says Tim) and two Ares Nieuport 11 which I will paint as captured ones for the Germans. I already have the decals made for Kurt Student - crossed swords, but I will have to see how the crosses work out. On the Halberstadts I did I thought I could use crosses from Valom kit extras. 1/144 direct bomber crosses and a Reviresco but no luck. All were too small or too big so I had to quickly make up my own crosses. I'm hoping something works for the Nieuports.

After that I have to think about whether or not I need to fill in any holes. I was sort of thinking that for August missions I'd use the Halberstadts supplemented by EIII and in September Albatri supplemented by Halberstadts. However, a Fokker EIV and a couple of Fokker DII or DIII might be useful.

Well done Eagles!...er... I mean great effort Dave. Frustrating ending to a well flown engagement. The cards fall where they will, not for you today though. At least all survived.

Yes, nice flight of Nieuports! Well done.

REP guns jammed at the moment but will be back.

Thanks Peter, a close run thing toward the end - I was sure one or two of the Eagles were for it when the Nieuports arrived, especially as Kirmaier had picked up rudder damage when he was wounded so couldn't turn away from them and was obliged to run the gauntlet. Gandert followed his leader like a good wingman but with a dud engine he wasn't going to turn his back on them to try to run away. Just goes to show a bit of imbalance does not always spell disaster. The cards were against the Bulldogs winning this time, hopefully they'll do better with your scenario !

Nice game Dave and a near run thing, what more can you ask for.

That was a tough one and no mistake. Close, but just that bit too close for the Bulldogs - well done the Eagles then!

Similar Missions

1. AAR OTT-CYM Mission 1: Back to Front - July 5th 1916 {ShadowDragon}
    By ShadowDragon in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 04-04-2020, 14:12
  2. AAR OTT-CYM Mission 1: Back to Front - July 5th 1916 {Stumptonian}
    By Stumptonian in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-04-2020, 08:37
  3. BRF OTT CYM - Mission 1 - Back To Front - July 5th 1916 by flash
    By flash in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 18