Ares Games

Thread: OTT-CYM Mission 1: Back to Front - July 5th 1916 {ShadowDragon}

Default OTT-CYM Mission 1: Back to Front - July 5th 1916 {ShadowDragon}

So you kids want hear one of your grand-père’s war stories, eh? Not the one about how I met your grand-mère? Ah, Angélique was the most beautiful woman I had ever seen and still is to this today.

“Enough of your nonsense, Jacques”, called Angélique through the open veranda door. “Tell them about X Squadron. I’m curious to hear what new embellishments you’ve added.”

Right-e-o. Pour me a glass of our very own Shiraz. We will sit on the veranda, watch the sunset over the vines and I will tell you about X squadron. Hmmm...this Shiraz is an up and comer. Aussie wine is better than French wine.

“Non, Jacques, not French, but better than American, eh?

X-Squadron? It was in July 1916, during the terrible battle of the Somme. The Royal Flying Corps - RFC as we called it - was desperate for help. So the Navy promised to send pilots and aircraft to the Somme - a new squadron called ‘X’ Squadron. It was to have a flight of scouts - single seat fighter aircraft as you’d call them today and a flight of reconnaissance aircraft but at first it was just the scouts. The squadron commander was Sir Henry Rumsbottle who, as Fates would have it, was a teetotaler. I don’t think Sir Henry ever saw the irony in that, but then, can you trust a teetotaler?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sir Henry Rumsbottle.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	30.3 KB 
ID:	283250

So there I was newly arrived at our just un-packed naval air station in what passed for our wardroom with four other flight sub-lieutenants - a fellow Canadian - Al Smith,

Name:	Al.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	58.7 KB 
ID:	283244

a Scotsman - Donald MacDonald, but, as I will shortly tell you, we all called him Jock,

Name:	Donald.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	37.3 KB 
ID:	283248

an Irishman - Fergis O’Neil,

Name:	Fergis.jpg 
Size:	35.2 KB 
ID:	283247

and an Aussie - Bruce Dundee - yes, ‘Uncle’ Bruce.

Name:	BruceHS.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	28.5 KB 
ID:	283243

And of course there was me - your grand-père.

Name:	JackHS.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	42.3 KB 
ID:	283246

We had all come from different units and it would seem we all had chequered ‘careers’ in those units. Maybe that’s why they called us ‘X Squadron’.

There we were enjoying whatever spirits we could dig out of the boxes and wondering what about the future until we had had enough and retired for the night.

Next morning we had assembled in the briefing room - if one can call our casual lounging ‘assembled’ - when in walks Flight Commander Nigel Flashman but, as we would find out no one called him Nigel. He was just Flashman. He stood there with his service revolver as if we were prisoners and perhaps we were. Flashman was one natty dresser. We were allowed to wear a uniform similar to the RFC and Flashman must have paid a tailor a small fortune for his outfit. Standing there with he looked a real lady killer.

Name:	Flashman.jpg 
Size:	57.4 KB 
ID:	283249

“Don’t bother getting to your feet”, he remarked sarcastically. He flipped through some papers. “You're rather a bunch of misfits, I see. You're rather a bunch of misfits, I see. Flight Sub-Lieutenant Donald MacDonald, what sort of joke were your parents having when they named you Donald MacDonald?”

“If you prefer, sir, you can call me Donald of Clan Ranald”, glowered the Scotsman.

“I think I will just call you, Jock”, replied Flashman. From that moment we all called him Jock.

“Demoted from flight commander for striking your superior officer.”

“I fell and bumped him, sir”.

“Well that’s what all the squadron members testified at the inquiry. Says you were in a heated debate”.

“Aye, we were. About squadron tactics……and squadron safety.”

“I hear the gentleman has been transferred to a torpedo destroyer. Be that as it may, if you have a disagreement with me about tactics, we will have a debate about back with just the two of us.”

The two of them glowered at each other. Then a twinkle came over Flashman’s eye – just the hint of one.

“We will break up into two patrols of three. Jock, you’ll lead one of them.”

“Flight Sub-Lieutenant Fergis O’Neil.”

“Aye, sir”, replied the languid Irishman.

“Are you sure which side your one?”

“Aye, sir. Quite sure.”

The Easter Week trouble was still on everyone's mind and every Irishman was looked on with suspicion but some of that is for a future story, kids.

“I’ll be keeping my eye on you. You will be in my patrol. And if you’re interested in any questionable excursions ashore, this chap here is responsible for security on and off the station.” He opened the door to show a well armed rating. Kids, the Royal Naval Service was peculiar in trying to pretend we were all on a ship. So off base was ‘ashore’ and Sir Henry was stickler for naval regulations. We had ceremonial divisions...the whole navy thing.

Name:	Base Security.jpg 
Size:	63.3 KB 
ID:	283245

“Mr. Wilde. You’re quite the fellow. Failed the naval exams three times and finally joined the service because a rich uncle paid for your flying lessons. Your last report says you’re a good pilot but a poor officer. Seems we’ll take anyone these days. Says your from Wolf Creek, Alberta. Where in God's Earth is Wolf Creek?”

"West of Edmonton, Sir." My uncle had sent my dad, your great-granddad to Wolf Creek to look after his investment in the Grand Trunk Pacific Railway which ran from Winnipeg to Prince Rupert. Wolf Creek was about half-way. So with Uncle Wilfred's logic that's where dad should go."

“And you two, Mr. Dundee and Mr. Smith, brawling with the RFC, hmmm? Naval officers do not brawl?”

“Sir, the RFC took exception to our stating the obvious – that they needed our help. Well one thing led to another.”

“Quite. Still we need to work with these chaps even if they are somewhat mistaken. So there’ll be no more brawling. Understood? Hmmm….a jock, a mick, two Canucks and an Aussie, not an honest Englishman among you. Still there’s a job to be done and let’s get down to it. We’re new to the area so we will just get acquainted with the lay of the land. We’ll do two patrols of three scouts. I’ll lead one with Fergis and Jack. Jock will take Bruce and Al. Stay out of trouble. I want everyone back safe. If one patrol spots the other patrol in trouble they’re to scoot over had help out. Understood?”
    “Aye, sir”, we all replied.

Soon we were out on the quarter-deck where our six Nieuport Bébés were lined up with their new sparkling coats of paint.

“What in God’s green earth are those”, exclaimed Flashman.

“Don’t rightly know, sir. They just showed up like that this morning”, replied one of the mechanics. Of course, no one knew that a local Frenchman was a little bit richer by the same amount ‘Uncle’ Bruce was that much poorer.

“What will the Hun think with us showing up like we’re from a circus? There’s no time to undo it and the fabric might be weakened if we did, so we’ll have to go on patrol like clowns.”

I thought that our Flight Commander looked even slightly pleased. Although he frowned at his own aeroplane which was pretty much regulation.

Name:	CYM101.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	194.5 KB 
ID:	283253

It was a lovely morning with not much activity in the air or on the ground. Flashman, Fergis and I were flying south behind the front lines. Jock, Bruce and Al were somewhere south of us.

Name:	CYM102.jpg 
Size:	120.2 KB 
ID:	283252

Little did we know a kette, as the Hun called them, were flying in our direction north over the trenches.

Name:	CYM103.jpg 
Size:	160.0 KB 
ID:	283251

The four Huns turned as one and headed in our direction and with me on the side closest to them. It made my blood run cold – the same as when I was stalked by timber wolves in the Swan Hills. . It seemed to me that the lead plane, a Fokker, look like one of those grey wolves.

Name:	CYM104.jpg 
Size:	87.9 KB 
ID:	283273

Seemed to me that if we turned and ran, they’d be on us like those wolves. Our survival looked better facing them head on.

Name:	CYM105.jpg 
Size:	109.9 KB 
ID:	283272

We were both on each other so fast I don’t think anyone got a decent burst off. We just flew past each other – trying to look as fierce as possible. Hoping to scare the other side off.

Name:	CYM106.jpg 
Size:	116.1 KB 
ID:	283271

Planes twisted and turned and we came back for another go with our fingers ready on the triggers. I think everyone was a bit edgy. A few burst were fired but I don’t think much harm was done.

Name:	CYM107.jpg 
Size:	138.4 KB 
ID:	283270

(Same moment from a different angle for an action shot.)

Name:	CYM108.jpg 
Size:	119.7 KB 
ID:	283269

Flashman’s experience with 2 Wing showed and he lined up one Hun for a good shot. But I could see over my shoulder that one of the Huns had a good go at Fergis.

Name:	CYM109.jpg 
Size:	132.8 KB 
ID:	283268

Flashman was flying brilliantly. He pursued the green Fokker, firing his Lewis gun, pouring lead into the poor chap until his plane burst into flames and exploded. The last I could see was the poor pilot climb out of his machine to fall freely to the ground. His chosen way to die, I suppose.

Name:	CYM110.jpg 
Size:	91.3 KB 
ID:	283267

Flashman flew on – twisting wildly until he had another Hun in his sights – a CDL one - you kids might call it ‘beige’ but we called it CDL, which was short for Clear Doped Linen.

Name:	CYM111.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	109.5 KB 
ID:	283266

I went after the grey Fokker. Kill the leader of the pack and pack will scatter I reasoned. The pilot jerked in his cockpit. I think one of my bullets must have hit which was a good thing for me but it still leaves a strange feeling in your stomach.

Name:	CYM112.jpg 
Size:	108.6 KB 
ID:	283265

I kept on the grey wolf Fokker trying to take him down.

Name:	CYM113.jpg 
Size:	95.8 KB 
ID:	283264

But the grey Fokker pilot was wiley – like a sly timber wolf. I anticipated him turning and heading for home but he flipped his aeroplane around in what we call an Immelmann. I ended up in front of him but I suppose his injury prevented him from firing on me. Just then the CDL Fokker came from the left, but I had the advantage of altitude and slipped over top of him.

Name:	CYM114.jpg 
Size:	108.3 KB 
ID:	283263

I had hoped that the two Fokkers would collide but the pilots were to clever for that. Still I think it threw the grey Fokker’s aim off so that he missed Flashman who was crossing in front of him.

Name:	CYM115.jpg 
Size:	130.6 KB 
ID:	283262

I feared that the grey Fokker would escape but just then your ‘Uncle’ Bruce appeared – heading straight for the Fokker. ‘struth.

Name:	CYM116.jpg 
Size:	120.5 KB 
ID:	283261

Your ‘uncle’ had no fear and headed straight at the grey wolf Fokker. The Fokker waited until the last moment to avoid the collision but with the damage I had done him, his aeroplane could not withstand the strain. The wings collapsed and the aeroplane dove down like a torpedo. Poor man.

Name:	CYM117.jpg 
Size:	148.1 KB 
ID:	283260

That left two of use – your ‘uncle’ Bruce and me to gang up on the flaming CDL Fokker. First your ‘uncle’ Bruce had a go.

Name:	CYM118.jpg 
Size:	151.4 KB 
ID:	283259

(This photo is for the missed fire damage when I realized that this Fokker was supposed to be on fire.)

Name:	CYM119.jpg 
Size:	131.7 KB 
ID:	283258

Then I had a go at the Fokker, which with the fire, your 'uncle' Bruce and me was enough...

Name:	CYM120.jpg 
Size:	125.6 KB 
ID:	283257

North of us Fergis and a dark CDL Fokker were having their own private war.

Name:	CYM121.jpg 
Size:	117.5 KB 
ID:	283256

The Hun was wiley and probably would have taken Fergis down but luck was with the Irishman.

Name:	CYM122.jpg 
Size:	114.5 KB 
ID:	283255

The Hun’s guns were silent – missed opportunities to finish off Fergis.

Name:	CYM123.jpg 
Size:	122.3 KB 
ID:	283254

The Hun was glued to the Irishman’s tail.

Name:	CYM124.jpg 
Size:	135.6 KB 
ID:	283277

Another burst but the Irishman flew on – bits of fabric flapping wildly in the air.

Name:	CYM125.jpg 
Size:	99.4 KB 
ID:	283276

Surely Fergis’s end was in the sights of the Hun, when, in the nick of time, your ‘uncle’ Bruce came roaring in to the rescue.

Name:	CYM126.jpg 
Size:	118.9 KB 
ID:	283275

Down went the Hun in flames! Two victories for you ‘Uncle’ Bruce, one for the Flight Commander and one for me….and Fergis got to live for another day.

Name:	CYM127.jpg 
Size:	145.0 KB 
ID:	283274

When we got back, we were feeling pretty chuffed at our outing but Flashman threw down his helmet and googles and came charging over to Fergis.

“Did you run away to leave Jack and me to fight off four Huns, eh?”

“Damage, sir. Take a look.”

The Nieuport was barely holding together.

“He’s got you there, sir”, I said.

“Humph! Right, seems to have worked out well. First round in the wardroom is on me.”

Well that didn’t take much convincing, so off we all went to celebrate an astounding day. Some time later I notice that Flashman was not around. I went out since…well, that’s what you do when celebrate living for another day. I notice a motor car drive off.

I asked the sentry, “Who was that?”

"That was the Flight Commander, Sir. Smelling all pretty and with a bottle of champagne. He said he be back in the morning, sir."

A few days later Flashman was seen taking off on a solo flight, but curiously he had what looked like two funeral wreaths with him.

There was more to our flight commander than meets the eye, but that’s more stories for another day and my glass of Shiraz is empty, kids.
    Last edited by ShadowDragon; 04-04-2020 at 14:19.

Butchers Bill

The Seadogs

Flt Cdr Nigel Flashman / RTB / - / 1 kill

Name:	CYM1BBRNAS1.jpg 
Size:	139.3 KB 
ID:	283282

FsLt Fergis O'Neil / FRTB-D / - / 0 kills

Name:	CYM1BBRNAS2.jpg 
Size:	119.9 KB 
ID:	283281

FsLt Jack Wilde / RTB / - / 1 kill

Name:	CYM1BBRNAS3.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	119.4 KB 
ID:	283280

FsLt Bruce Dundee / RTB / - / 2 kills

Name:	CYM1BBRNAS4.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	125.2 KB 
ID:	283279

The Adlers

Oblt Emil Beckhardt / EXP-FT / WIA / 0 kills
    C&W = Roll 4 - 3 EXP - 1 WIA = 0; KIA

Name:	CYM1BBAdler1.jpg 
Size:	123.4 KB 
ID:	283285

Ltn Fritz Böhning / FLM-NML / - / 0 kills
    C&W = Roll 10 - 2 FLM - 1 NML = 7; Injured = Roll 2 = skip 1
    E&E = Roll 8 - 1 FLM - 1 WIC +1 NML = 7; Landed almost home = Skip 1

Name:	CYM1BBAdler2.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	112.3 KB 
ID:	283284

Ltn Ernst Hanstein / FLM-FT / - / 0 kills
    C&W = Roll 6 - 2 FLM = 4; Injured = Roll 6 = Skip 6

Name:	CYM1BBAdler3.jpg 
Size:	119.5 KB 
ID:	283283

Ltn Walter Hess / EXP-FT / - / 0 kills
    C&W = Roll 3 - 3 EXP = 0; KIA

Name:	CYM1BBAdler4.jpg 
Size:	139.2 KB 
ID:	283278

Victory Points

Sea Dogs = 4 planes SD X 3 = 12 points

Adlers = 1 plane FRTB X 2 = 2 points

Victory to the Sea Dogs
    Last edited by flash; 03-08-2020 at 05:26.

Looks like the Eagles were properly plucked and stuffed in this outing... Anyone for a drumstick ?!
    Hopefully they'll prove to be more of a challenge in the future but rattling good action, lovely pics and models.

Uncle says:

Well done chaps, gave those Huns a jolly good spanking, they'll think twice before they trail their coat tails over our section of the lines in future.
    Looks like the paperwork's all correct so I think we should adjourn to the Mess and sink a few in celebration.

ObLtn Rudolf Hausmann takes up the lead position for your Eagles.
    Ltn Reinhold Piechulek replaces Hess.
    Ltn Hans Bohenkamp replaces Hanstein as he is out of action for some time.
    Last edited by flash; 03-08-2020 at 03:38.

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Held for Uncle - waiting until the Butcher's Tally is correctly completed
    Completed now, sir. And hopefully correctly completed.

Some thoughts on the game...

I played the teal Nieuport with the one CDL airleron. I used the normal altitude rules which together with the extra wide side-slip gave the Nieuports an advantage that offset the Fokkers one additional damage point. Whenever I get a one-sided victory I look to see what factors let to the victory and if the scenario was close or not. Factors:

1) Two of the lead Fokkers both the same AI option early on the delayed their getting into action and when they did the grey Fokker ended up in the sights of my teal Nieuport. The wounded pilot draw forced that plane to withdraw which it did - right into the path of the light blue Nieuport that was attracted by the exploding Fokker.

2) Boom card draw by the green Fokker. It as early in the fight so it attracted another Nieuport (I rolled randomly for 1, 2 or 3 and rolled just for 1). Boom card early on always make a difference.

3) The two jams for the Fokker fighting the camo (green / brown) Nieuport. That Nieuport survived with just 2 damage points left. Without the jams it would have certainly been shot down which would have freed up the Fokker to take on another Nieuport or just to escape.

4) I don't think the collision results made much difference for the grey Fokker as there was likely one or two more chances to shoot at it and it only had 3 damage points left plus it was being forced to return to base. Of course, the boom collision card could have been reversed to take out the light blue Nieuport.

So, if some of those things had happened we might have seen 2 Nieuports shot down (light blue / camo) versus 2 Fokkers shot down plus one FRTB or possibly shot down which still would have been a Sea Dog victory.

The lopsided victory led me to change the story to a grandpa telling tales of the great war. Exaggerated? Embellished? Or like it was? Who knows?

Well that was certainly hard on the Adler!

2 KIA and one out for more than half the campaign!

I guess mine got off relatively easy ...

Interesting presentation, and hints of story lines to come.
    Well done, Paul.
    Welcome to the 'Official OTT'

Great AAR. You raised the bar with your labels and graphic use. Well done.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowDragon View Post
    Completed now, sir. And hopefully correctly completed.
    Nicely done Paul - showing some of the old hands how it should be done

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    Well that was certainly hard on the Adler!

2 KIA and one out for more than half the campaign!

I guess mine got off relatively easy ...

Interesting presentation, and hints of story lines to come.
    Well done, Paul.
    Welcome to the 'Official OTT'
    Thanks for the welcome to the ‘official OTT’. Nice to not have to fight SE5A, SPAD XIII and Camels with Albatri.

Being shot down isn’t so bad but the C&W / E&E rolls are the ones to dread. Mind you boomers and flamers do increase the odds.

Potential storylines to be played out depending scenarios and outcomes. Always a risk with having a character tell the tale well afterwards but not knowing the outcome of the next 11 missions. Cross that bridge when I come to it but I have a few ideas for explanations but it’s best not to have too many characters appear to survive the war.

FYI - I was a bit miffed that the light blue Nieuport came in and took the kill away from the Nieuport I was driving. Lucky sod fired just three times with a massive total of 3 damage points and got two kills to his credit. Sheesh. Give a character the name of Bruce Dundee and anything can happen.

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Nicely done Paul - showing some of the old hands how it should be done
    I did have some practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
    Great AAR. You raised the bar with your labels and graphic use. Well done.
    First outing for all eight airplanes - all Valom models. I mostly took two photos for each engagement - one with the damage cards and then an 'action' shot with the damage cards removed so there'd be less clutter in the picture. Instead of showing the damage cards I put that info in a text box to make it more of a graphic novel type story than pictures of a game. I think it works.

Ach! The Eagles will have to send the Rittmeister and his Circus to deal with X Squadron if this continues.

Nicely done Paul. Beautiful planes too.

Thumbs up

Great story telling Paul & loved the pics of all your pilots.
    Nice collection of Nieuports & colour schemes as well.
    Nice touch with the "Graphic Novel" approach.
    Welcome to the Campaign & Jolly Well Done to your SeaDogs!
    Have some Rep for a job well done!

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    Ach! The Eagles will have to send the Rittmeister and his Circus to deal with X Squadron if this continues.

Nicely done Paul. Beautiful planes too.
    The Rittmeister stole the circus idea from X Squadron.

Thoroughly enjoyable story, your graphics add immensely to the overall look, well done.

I know Shiraz is nice, in fact my favourite wine but you can't beat a bottle of 98 brandy to celebrate with.

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    Thoroughly enjoyable story, your graphics add immensely to the overall look, well done.

I know Shiraz is nice, in fact my favourite wine but you can't beat a bottle of 98 brandy to celebrate with.
    Thanks, John. Yes, 98 brandy is indeed tops - 1798 that is - but perhaps a wee bit difficult to find in mid-20th century Australia. In any event....not in front of the grandkids.

I'm looking forward to the continuing saga of your misfits. Perhaps the RNAS and RFC clowns - Peter did bring the circus idea - should join forces. At least for a rowdy time in the town.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowDragon View Post
    Thanks, John. Yes, 98 brandy is indeed tops - 1798 that is - but perhaps a wee bit difficult to find in mid-20th century Australia. In any event....not in front of the grandkids.

I'm looking forward to the continuing saga of your misfits. Perhaps the RNAS and RFC clowns - Peter did bring the circus idea - should join forces. At least for a rowdy time in the town.
    I'll have you know my pilots are not misfits, merely eccentric.

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    I'll have you know my pilots are not misfits, merely eccentric.
    Pot-eh-to pot-ah-to.

That was a GREAT ARR! Rep.

Jack - you old smoothie you. Brilliant AAR. wil follow your career with interest

Quote Originally Posted by camel crew View Post
    Jack - you old smoothie you. Brilliant AAR. wil follow your career with interest
    Yes, but is Jacques Jack? Hmmm....

Personally I have no idea how it will turn out and if Jack is Jacques just how did a Northern Alberta boy end up in Australia married to a sweetheart of a French gal? Curious and curiouser.

Well done Grandad - the kids will idolise you from here on in. What a bashing you gave those unfortunate Adlers. And two of them died into the bargain - that was a lot for them to stomach, I bet. RIP both
    Love your story telling and the humour, which I enjoy a great deal. Thanks for that. So here's one or three for the X men
    REP inbound and thoroughly deserved.

Wow! Academy Award for special affects is well deserved. Excellent AAR with a lot of detail.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeemagnus View Post
    Well done Grandad - the kids will idolise you from here on in. What a bashing you gave those unfortunate Adlers. And two of them died into the bargain - that was a lot for them to stomach, I bet. RIP both
    Love your story telling and the humour, which I enjoy a great deal. Thanks for that. So here's one or three for the X men
    REP inbound and thoroughly deserved.
    Thanks, Mike. I'm continuing with the Italian Front version and I went full graphic story telling for that one. No text in between the photos. That one is heading a direction which could see post-WWI action - if we get that far with the campaigns. Pity about the two dead Adlers but they had no personality yet. Fortunately the Adler with a nasty inclination did survive which should make for some good stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Pipper View Post
    Wow! Academy Award for special affects is well deserved. Excellent AAR with a lot of detail.
    Thanks, Frank.

Mind you, reading the story over, a good review by an editor wouldn't be amiss.
    Last edited by ShadowDragon; 04-04-2020 at 14:27.

Similar Missions

1. AAR OTT-CYM Mission 1: Back to Front - July 5th 1916 {Stumptonian}
    By Stumptonian in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-04-2020, 08:37
  2. BRF OTT CYM - Mission 1 - Back To Front - July 5th 1916 by flash
    By flash in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 03-27-2020, 14:07
  3. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 09-11-2015, 18:04
  4. Replies: 20
    Last Post: 02-21-2015, 13:17
  5. AAR OTTED Mission 7 - skafloc - New Wings Over The Trenches - July 7th 1916
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 02-20-2015, 09:18