Ares Games

Thread: Plan for adding custom Fokker D.VIIs to game?

Default Plan for adding custom Fokker D.VIIs to game?

Hello--rookie pilot question--and apologies if covered elsewhere in forums--if so please point me in the right direction.

My plan (to avoid paying $100 a model) to add custom D7s to the game is to buy Shapeways models and clear Litko stands. I have the maneuver deck and a couple pilot cards files to print on cardstock. Am I missing anything? Anyone that has gone this route care to offer any recommendations? Thank you in advance!

Hi,
    The maneuver deck is the hard part. If you have that you are most of the way there. You can print pilot cards on cardstock. I believe they need to be 68x44 mm in size. It is what I do for my repaints. For stands the I would see if the aerodrome has any in stock that you like and see if it has any altitude pegs in stock. Will make altitude rules much more easier. The litko work good, but doing altitude with them is a bit more work. Shapeways planes are nice. You just have to mount a peg on the bottom so they fit into the altitude pegs.

Sounds like you have a good handle on it!!!

Thank you!

Welcome to the Aerodrome, Jeff, from here across the Atlantic in he United Kingdom. You need to be aware that Ares altitude pegs do not fit Litko bases.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffmal View Post
    Hello--rookie pilot question--and apologies if covered elsewhere in forums--if so please point me in the right direction.

My plan (to avoid paying $100 a model) to add custom D7s to the game is to buy Shapeways models and clear Litko stands. I have the maneuver deck and a couple pilot cards files to print on cardstock. Am I missing anything? Anyone that has gone this route care to offer any recommendations? Thank you in advance!
    Welcome Jeff... I'm Jeff too. And you may be able to tell by my avatar that I like D.VII's as well. D.VII's became stupid expensive after the Christmas holiday. I have no idea why, but you can see it from the historical prices on eBay. Perhaps everyone woke up to how awesome Wings is. Maybe everyone retired like me and has the time to pursue the game and the collecting experience and the modeling and painting that I did when I was a kid. Whatever..

For D.VII's, I have purchased full Shapeways models, the Shapeways that come in parts on sprues and the Valom kits. Valom kits are tough for the inexperienced. Damn they have a lot of fiddly parts. There are many folks on the forum who have conquered them and the results look fantastic. You'll see as you dig around.

I'm exploring Shapeways as my repaints now. As the wise CamelBeagle said, get your stands at Keith's Aerodrome Accessories. His products are finely crafted awesomeness. As he also notes, the hard part is the maneuver deck, and if you are comfortable making your own... go for it. I acquired one each of the out-of-print Fokkers (expensive but I'm OCD that way) and it provides L maneuver decks to use for repaints. No one needs a deck for every plane they own - just enough for however many D.VII's you want to fly simultaneously. They call me Capt. Obvious.

Welcome to the 'drome!

Jeff,
    Jeff makes a good point that I didn't mention. The Litko bases hole is too big for the ares altitude pegs. I have used them, but had to glue the first altitude peg in place. Don't get me wrong, the guy who runs Litko makes some great stuff and I use a lot of it in various games that I play. Heck, I just placed an order for some stuff today. When it comes down to Wings of Glory Bases I would get a them from Keith's Aerodrome store. They are very nice. He also has altitude pegs in stock currently. Those sell pretty fast. Shapeways makes some excellent models. Yes, I agree with Jeff again, get the full plane. A lot easier! Also, there are lots of articles on this forum on how to prime and paint shapeways. A lot of really talented individuals here.

Excellent--exactly what I needed to know. Thank you all--very impressed with the forum and the folks on it so far!

You are welcome. The Wright Flight in Dayton Ohio uses a lot of repaints and shapeways planes. If you ever make it our way we would love to have you join us and show you some of the wonderful modelling jobs that some of the members have done.

to fix the litko base issue, i glue the litko peg in, cut it off, and drill out the pug to wings of glory peg size.

Here is what I came up with thanks again! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200428_165628.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	82.9 KB 
ID:	286687
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200428_165528.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	82.0 KB 
ID:	286688

Well, they'll do!

Very well don, that man!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Similar Missions

1. WWI AAR - Game 3 - Fokker D.VIIs vs. Sopwith Snipes - Saturday June 17th
    By Dwarflord22 in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-25-2017, 10:32
  2. WWI AAR - Game 2 - Fokker D.VIIs vs. Sopwith Snipes
    By Dwarflord22 in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-24-2017, 23:30
  3. WGF Jasta 15 Fokker D.VIIs
    By Pseudotheist in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 6