Ares Games
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: March 2020 Workbench

Default March 2020 Workbench

Not sure if Clipper is back yet so will fire the opening gun for him. Lets have another good month of projects.

Have 2 orders in. 1 Shapeways and 1 AIM. Seems to be a problem with the Shapeways one since when I check the one model is back and forth between pre production and production. Daryll (RAF) said this happens at times when they don't think the finished product looks good. Hope it gets done so I can get working on the WW I planes. Next week is Cold Wars so not sure what I might get done before then.

Shapeways (RAF) Halberstadt DIII in the livery of the Halberstadt DII of Jasta 25. When it got to painting time I realized that (1) the decals with the initials were for the Halberstadt DII of Jasta 25 which probably never had Halberstadt DIII and (2) I had the Shapeways DIII but I could just as easily had ordered DII (same combat stats just a minor modification on engine exhaust). So there were supposed to be the planes of Hauptmann Friedrich-Karl Burckhardt (letter B) and Ltn Eric Schutze (letter S), but only in fantasyland. So, here are two Halberstadt DIII for unknown pilots with surnames beginning with the letters 'B' and 'S'.

The reference to Jasta 25 DII:

http://www.histomin.com/HM%20Journal...adt%20D.II.htm

Anyway, if I squint they look just like Halberstadt DII of Jasta 25 and so they are in my make believe world.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Halberstadt DIII Jasta 25.jpg 
Views:	217 
Size:	70.7 KB 
ID:	283053

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowDragon View Post
    Shapeways (RAF) Halberstadt DIII in the livery of the Halberstadt DII of Jasta 25. When it got to painting time I realized that (1) the decals with the initials were for the Halberstadt DII of Jasta 25 which probably never had Halberstadt DIII and (2) I had the Shapeways DIII but I could just as easily had ordered DII (same combat stats just a minor modification on engine exhaust). So there were supposed to be the planes of Hauptmann Friedrich-Karl Burckhardt (letter B) and Ltn Eric Schutze (letter S), but only in fantasyland. So, here are two Halberstadt DIII for unknown pilots with surnames beginning with the letters 'B' and 'S'.

The reference to Jasta 25 DII:

http://www.histomin.com/HM%20Journal...adt%20D.II.htm

Anyway, if I squint they look just like Halberstadt DII of Jasta 25 and so they are in my make believe world.

Name:	Halberstadt DIII Jasta 25.jpg 
Views:	217 
Size:	70.7 KB 
ID:	283053
    Once more Paul you have painted up some rather nice looking scouts

Thanks, chaps.

My accidental secret weapon here was modelling paste....dries like marble. Got tried of putting on layers of whatever and decided to scrape the modelling paste across the fuselage / wings and then sand / file down. My great error was to not coat with matt varnish after applying primer. It made hell for the decals with the initials which are on white decal paper, which means a white letter on a brown square that's applied and then paint the brown to blend in the decal. I did not anticipate the decal paper not sticking to the primer. Argh. I'm lucky I saved the decals in more or less where I wanted them to be. The joys of experimentation.

outstanding job.

Thanks, chaps.

My accidental secret weapon here was modelling paste....dries like marble. Got tried of putting on layers of whatever and decided to scrape the modelling paste across the fuselage / wings and then sand / file down. My great error was to not coat with matt varnish after applying primer. It made hell for the decals with the initials which are on white decal paper, which means a white letter on a brown square that's applied and then paint the brown to blend in the decal. I did not anticipate the decal paper not sticking to the primer. Argh. I'm lucky I saved the decals in more or less where I wanted them to be. The joys of experimentation.
    Hey Paul, what is the brand name of this accidental secret weapon modeling paste? I might need a weapons upgrade!

Quote Originally Posted by Von Scharf View Post
    Hey Paul, what is the brand name of this accidental secret weapon modeling paste? I might need a weapons upgrade!
    It's art modelling paste that I use for miniature bases and terrain pieces. I tend to use whatever the art store has in stock. Currently it's Liquitex Professional Modelling Paste.

https://www.liquitex.com/row/product...tab=techniques

I have also used Golden products. They also make a modelling paste. I have been using Golden Soft Gel Matte on Shapeways but I have found it to be too rubbery when dry and hard to carve / sand.

https://www.goldenpaints.com/product...els-pastes/gel

Both should mix with water to thin out. For my next Shapeways I think I will to a first coat of thin Golden Soft Gel followed by the Liquitex Modelling Paste.

It's art modelling paste that I use for miniature bases and terrain pieces. I tend to use whatever the art store has in stock. Currently it's Liquitex Professional Modelling Paste.

https://www.liquitex.com/row/product...tab=techniques

I have also used Golden products. They also make a modelling paste. I have been using Golden Soft Gel Matte on Shapeways but I have found it to be too rubbery when dry and hard to carve / sand.

https://www.goldenpaints.com/product...els-pastes/gel

Both should mix with water to thin out. For my next Shapeways I think I will to a first coat of thin Golden Soft Gel followed by the Liquitex Modelling Paste.
    I'll be will interested in seeing the next experiment. It never dawned on me to use Liquitex for Shapeways planes. Great idea.

I just checked the Hobby Lobby site and there are a number of different products. One is a Matte varnish that may be easier then the paste. Might have to do some exploring and see the different products.

OK, every now and then have to step away from the historical stuff. Also whatever the customer gives me to paint, finished these tonight

Name:	100_6891.jpg 
Views:	226 
Size:	106.5 KB 
ID:	283056Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_6893.jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	92.0 KB 
ID:	283057Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_6899.jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	102.2 KB 
ID:	283058

Fantasy paint schemes but the serial numbers are correct. Likely the planes were only CDL. The light blue scheme (3993 - Dallas) was inspired by Sopwith Camel C1555, 'Suds" (Luxmoore or Gamon, 78 Home Defence Sqn). The green/mahogany scheme (3994 - Norton) is probably more typical of Nieuport 16 RFC. I've kept the French markings on the underside of the top wing. These are the last Nieuport 11 I need for the OTT campaign Mission 1.

Name:	Nieuport 11 Dallas and Norton 1.jpg 
Views:	216 
Size:	89.1 KB 
ID:	283086 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nieuport 11 Dallas and Norton 2.jpg 
Views:	211 
Size:	75.5 KB 
ID:	283085

All 6 of my RNAS Nieuport 11 for the OTT Campaign

Name:	Nieuport 11 X  Sqn RNAS 1.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	107.3 KB 
ID:	283084 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nieuport 11 X Sqn RNAS 2.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	195.4 KB 
ID:	283083

The first two planes are accurate paint schemes, the green / mahogany plane is suitable for a some Nieuport 11 / 16 but probably not serial number 3994, the light blue and the dark blue / white stripes were both inspired by later RNAS Sopwith Camels and the one with the red is made up.

Very scary set of Ogres there, Ken.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    OK, every now and then have to step away from the historical stuff. Also whatever the customer gives me to paint, finished these tonight

Name:	100_6893.jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	92.0 KB 
ID:	283057
    One of those looks like a girl I used to date.

Ken, I may have to PM you about painting some board game miniatures. Oberst Hajj just infected me with the need to play Zombicide.

Dear Site Admins and Overlords, that was my only non-Wings post... I'm taking it offline... I promise I'll behave

Jeff this the March workbench so no problem what you post. Its a hobby. Doesn't have to be planes. I post my humble attempt at painting planes. Should have an order coming in this week and finishing some other planes I hope to post soon.

Jeff, PM me I have ALL the box sets and have painted many for others.

OK Boss...no more ads here...

Name:	100_5459.jpg 
Views:	214 
Size:	61.5 KB 
ID:	283099Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_5476.jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	130.4 KB 
ID:	283100

Shadowcat, those are some awesome fantasy figures!!!! Reminds me of when I used to play Games Workshop Mordheim.

Shadowdragon, where did you get those pilots. The planes look awesome as they are, but the pilots really add!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by camelbeagle View Post
    Shadowcat, those are some awesome fantasy figures!!!! Reminds me of when I used to play Games Workshop Mordheim.

Shadowdragon, where did you get those pilots. The planes look awesome as they are, but the pilots really add!!!!!

Hi, Dan, thanks. The pilots are from Peter Pig.

Peter pig makes some good stuff. Does anybody knows where you can get them in the US?

Beautiful Nieuports there, and yes the addition of the pilots really add something.
    Also LOVE the fantasy stuff- Zombicide Black Plague by any chance?

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

My fifth Pfalz E.I, recently flown @ "Flight Club"

Name:	CDL Pfalz (1).jpg 
Views:	211 
Size:	128.4 KB 
ID:	283145

Name:	CDL Pfalz (5).jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	116.8 KB 
ID:	283146

Name:	CDL Pfalz (9).jpg 
Size:	105.3 KB 
ID:	283147

Name:	CDL Pfalz (10).jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	120.8 KB 
ID:	283148

Name:	CDL Pfalz (13).jpg 
Size:	127.2 KB 
ID:	283149

Shapeways Pfalz E.I by Colinwe (Wow), WSF
    Paint: MisterKit "German Clear Doped Linen", others Vallejo
    Pilot by Peter Pig
    Decals by Miscmini and 1/144 direct
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Jeff, PM me I have ALL the box sets and have painted many for others.
    PM sent! Those are some nice looking Black Plague zombies and survivors. Hope I can afford you!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Florian
    Sorties Flown

Finished a long lasting project: a Coaching Inn, which was presented in the old GW White Dwarf article series "Modelling Workshop":

All doors can be opened and the roofs are detachable. The windows are made of wire mash.

Here is the original:

Wonderful, just wonderful, Florian.

Hey, I used to make buildings like that. Foam board walls and I cut up Magic cards for the shingle roofs. Hmmmm....have a mountain of old Magic cards around here somewhere and half a dozen sheets of foam board in the painting room...

Excellent work, Florian! Thanks for sharing that.

Ken, check those old Magic cards for value before you cut any more up Never been a Magic fan, but I see some of the cards prices can be crazy. Oh, ... just received Gloomhaven, so I may explore some more mini paint commissions. Have to learn how to play it first! Biggest, heaviest game box of all time! it must have 30 lbs of stuff in it. The shipping box was stamped Made in China in giant letters... so I sprayed it with Lysol and let it sit on the porch for an hour! BAAHAHAHHAA
    Last edited by Von Scharf; 03-06-2020 at 10:57. Reason: typos that made me seem dumber than I am

Quote Originally Posted by Karo7 View Post
    Finished a long lasting project: a Coaching Inn, which was presented in the old GW White Dwarf article series "Modelling Workshop":

All doors can be opened and the roofs are detachable. The windows are made of wire mash.

Here is the original:

Outstanding workmanship Florian

very nice job, Florian! Scenery is one of my biggest banes in miniature wargaming.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Jeff, no issue on the magic cards, most are old 3rd ed commons. Now my folder of full sets on the other hand (3rd ed, Arabians, Antiquities, legends, the dark, and fallen empires) Also have a lot of signed cards from Randy Asplund-Faith (Known him in the SCA for over 30 years and he used me as a model for a dwarf in Fallen Empires...yep, I'M a Magic Card) and a handful from Susan Van Camp. So well aware of the value thing...smile

Card pic and me at a SCA event about 10 years ago merchanting my leather work and armor.

Name:	100_1853.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	93.3 KB 
ID:	283188Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dwarven-soldier-alexander-26295-medium.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	27.8 KB 
ID:	283189
    Last edited by Shadowcat; 03-06-2020 at 13:03.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Florian
    Sorties Flown

... and I cut up Magic cards for the shingle roofs. ...
    Mine ones are made of Pizza box cardstock

Now that is seriously impressive a Florian, well done sir

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

OK, more projects finished tonight, weekly slug of civ war, and finished some Spanish Black seas ships I had sitting on the bench for a few months.

Name:	100_6902.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	94.8 KB 
ID:	283322Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_6905.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	161.9 KB 
ID:	283323Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_6909.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	131.6 KB 
ID:	283324

Finished up my Napoleonic Spanish command figures - generals and ADC

Name:	SPC1.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	101.2 KB 
ID:	283339 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SPC2.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	91.0 KB 
ID:	283340 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SPC3.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	85.2 KB 
ID:	283341

Shadowcat, that is some very nice rigging on those tiny boats!!!!

Looks good but takes forever. Other problem is they give you synthetic thread which will degrade in sunlight. Need to do the Brit fleet with cotton if I can.

Ken some of your Rebs look like guy from my civ war unit. Great paint job on all.

My talent isn’t any close to y’all’s.
    Here is what I’ve been working on.
    Union and Confederate Calvary and
    Smoke and Fire.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12C3B918-669B-4362-B4CB-CAE5843714E0.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	139.7 KB 
ID:	283456Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2E7D9E10-E40C-4F65-9836-A361DACD5F02.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	37.8 KB 
ID:	283457Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C742BF94-649A-4E35-957C-5B6BF1F61228.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	62.8 KB 
ID:	283458Click image for larger version. 

Name:	016D7513-04E6-44DF-A783-C7486D40D8AA.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	57.0 KB 
ID:	283459

Incredible work

I’m in awe!

Very nicely done Mark

Very nice work Paul.
    Did you scratch build the Louis guns on the top of the planes?

Really nice Civil War miniatures. Pretty awesome paint job!

Captured Nieuport 11 - Oblt Kurt Student, Armee-Oberkommando (AOK) 3 - repaint of an Ares de Turenne Ni 11.

To help the Fokker E.III fight back against the RNAS Bébé Scourge in the OTT CYM Campaign.

Name:	Captured Nieuport 11 - Student 1.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	108.5 KB 
ID:	283484 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Captured Nieuport 11 Student 2.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	101.0 KB 
ID:	283483

Well done Paul, how did you ever get the decals under the top wing?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. WMMS 2020 Sunday 8th March.
    By Boney10 in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 03-10-2020, 01:35
  2. February 2020 Workbench
    By Shadowcat in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 119
    Last Post: 03-01-2020, 12:15
  3. January 2020 Workbench
    By clipper1801 in forum Hobby Room