Ares Games

Thread: Wintercon 2020

Default Wintercon 2020

Odds are that there may not be one, due to Pandemic.

We're still 5 months away, a lot can happen, but 5 months is just about enough time for heroic measures to stop spread to be necessary in Australia. Conventions in the next 2-3 months should be OK, but a month after that is a different matter.

There's still so much we don't know about COVID-19, and good progress is being made on both better tests and vaccines, so heroic measures may never be necessary. Just don't bet on it.

I expect cons in Europe in 3 months time to be affected. Maybe sooner in some areas.

Watch this space. There are no plans at this stage by the CGS who run Wintercon to do anything different from any other year.

Hi Zoe, I hope you are wrong. If Wintercon is cancelled then we might see ALL Public Sports and Entertainment events cancelled as well. All sounds a bit Apocalyptic to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
    Hi Zoe, I hope you are wrong. If Wintercon is cancelled then we might see ALL Public Sports and Entertainment events cancelled as well. All sounds a bit Apocalyptic to me.
    It's that possible cancellation of all mass gatherings that could cause Wintercon not to be held this year.

Smile

I certainly hope that it is not cancelled as I have Con withdrawal symptoms following the Bushfires!

If Winyercon is cancelled, I might just run a minicon at Jolt Games in Mitchell.

Can we do Sails of Glory too?

With the announcement by the Prime Minister that from Monday, all social gatherings of 500+ people are prohibited, Wintercon is looking unlikely.

Splitting it into simultaneous smaller events would be fine from a public health viewpoint, but without a huckster area, financially not viable.

I will continue preparations for a WGF free participation game, but it might have to be held off-site. A stronger possibility is a tighter lockdown in July, our models suggest a peak in August.

Watch this space again.

Thanks for the update, Zoe.
    It is hard to make decisions when the advice from the authorities changes from one day to the next. However, that is how it has to be with the rapidly changing situation, both in Australia and world wide.

Indoor gatherings of 100 people are now prohibited.
    Those in shops etc now have to stay 1.5m apart.
    Non essential shops - even games shops - are likely to be closed shortly.

We're not on a full lockdown yet, but it is likely before April.

Any games we do get in will be at our house, where full disinfection facilities are available. Never say die! Ok to say firing deck though.

Similar Missions

1. Wintercon AAR - BSG and 3&3
    By Zoe Brain in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-22-2019, 03:34
  2. Wintercon 2018
    By Zoe Brain in forum Australian Wing
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 07-14-2018, 06:14
  3. Wintercon Arrangements?
    By gully_raker in forum Australian Wing
    Replies: 9