Ares Games

Thread: OTT CYM - Mission 1 - Back To Front - July 5th 1916 by flash

Default OTT CYM - Mission 1 - Back To Front - July 5th 1916 by flash

They'd spent the best part of a couple of weeks transiting back to France and their old stomping ground, packing the squadron in its entirety, shipping it's contents and the men, then unpacking ready for the arrival of the pilots and their crew at the landing ground they'd occupied just a few weeks ago. Accepting the aircraft, checking them, servicing them, preparing them for war once more.
    It felt good to be back and on familiar ground too, the machines ready, the pilots keen to get back to their hunting ground, over the trenches.

To that end the squadron goes on patrol over the lines to familiarise themselves with the lay of the land and any changes to the positions, or, local landmarks... And to see what else they can find...

Situation:
    The Eagles will be flying over their trenches, the Bulldogs will be flying over the countryside in the opposite direction behind the lines

Set-up:
    Two mats - long edge to long edge. Preferably countryside to the left; trenches to the right.

Eagles:
    Set up on the trenches mat.
    Four scout aircraft in a finger four formation, half ruler between, altitude separation of a climb token (or similar) if you're playing altitude rules.
    Start in formation heading north along the trenches just south of the centre point

Lead machine 2R in to rear of base, machine to right 1R width back & 1⁄2R wide to peg; machine to left 2R width back & 1⁄2R wide to peg; 2nd machine to left is back 1⁄2R to rear of base & 1⁄2R wide to peg; it is also 1R in from long edge.

Bulldogs:
    Set up on the countryside mat.
    Three scout aircraft in a 'V' formation, half ruler between, altitude separation of a climb token (or similar) if you're playing altitude rules.
    Start in formation heading south just to the right of the centre line of the countryside mat, just north of the centre.

Lead machine 2R in to rear of base, machine to left 1⁄2R back to back of base & 1⁄2R wide peg to peg; machine is also 1R in from long edge; machine to right is also 1⁄2R back to back of base & 1⁄2R to peg.

Layout should look something like this:

Mission:
    Engage the enemy, get home safely.

Exits:
    Eagles anywhere from the countryside mat and behind their line on the trenches mat.
    Bulldogs anywhere from behind their line and long edge of the trenches mat.
    If you're down to two aircraft & outnumbered (adjust accordingly) then maybe it's time to withdraw - fight your way off the table.

Options:
    Numbers - if you don't have the number of scouts available, or, prefer to fly fewer then by all means reduce the numbers, so long as the Eagles outnumber the Bulldogs at the start....

Reinforcement:
    Bulldogs - if any plane (Eagle or Bulldog) smokes, goes down a flamer, or Booms - another flight of three scout planes can appear at the south end of the countryside mat at the start of the next turn - this is a follow on flight from the Bulldog squadron attracted by the fracas. Again - number as required, or, if you prefer, determine randomly by a method of your choosing how many appear. Max 3.
    Eagles - no reinforcement.

Altitude:
    Play it with altitude if you like to - but if you do determine randomly by a method of your choosing whether your side start higher, lower, or, at the same altitude as their opposition.

Victory:
    Hopefully it will be obvious but here's some points to help reach a decision.

+3 per aircraft shot down
    +2 per aircraft forced RTB

Good luck all !
    Last edited by flash; 03-02-2020 at 06:36. Reason: Clarify Bulldog Reinforcement Condition

"He is wise who watches"

I tried to keep the BRF as generic as possible and scout centric for our first outing !
    Hopefully you'll get a good scrap out of it.

"He is wise who watches"

Thanks, Dave. Looks like fun.

I knew it was a good idea to do up those extra two Fokkers.

Never does any harm !

"He is wise who watches"

Great to see this as I am off today and tomorrow using up vacation days before I lose them.

I think my E.IIIs will make their way to the table again for this one.

Thanks Dave. I'll get to use all 4 of my Fokker D.Is right off the bat. Hope they do well. Last time I introduced new planes on my side they were all shot down!

Thumbs up

I do like the look of this one Dave!will be great to be back in the seat of a Fighter.

Definitely "fight club" material.

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post
    Definitely "fight club" material.
    It might well be Flight Club material in the morning !

"He is wise who watches"

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Mission played

C&W Rolled

Nobody died at least ...

Hope to get it posted in the next few days.

Into it today (it's raining!) - going well for both sides so far, no smokers, flamers or boomers
    Using DH.2 v E.III today, as campaign goes on will bring in new stuff for both sides but expect to use the E.III's for a few more 'weeks' yet before they pick up the pace.

"He is wise who watches"

My planes are ready and I have just enough manoeuvre decks thanks to recently buying 2 Ares Nieuport 11 for Leffers and Kurt Student repaints. I’ve done enough Valom Nieuport 11.

But I probably won’t get at the game until next week due to my injured back. Although Friday is a possibility.

Thumbs up

Hope to get this one played tomorrow all things being equal.
    Will set up the table this afternoon ready for an early morning patrol.

Look forward to seeing it Baz

"He is wise who watches"

Just finished my late war Italian Front variation. It ended 4 Oeffag 153 versus 3 SPAD XIII. As usual with SPAD XIII a lot of effort for not much shooting. Just one plane shot down. As often happens in my game a 'boom' near the start. The 'boom' took down one SPAD which brought in the 4th. One Oeffag FRTB due to a serious wound and two other SPAD FRTB - engine hit and flames/damage.

Will get written up in a couple of days.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Look forward to seeing it Baz
    Done & Dusted today Dave.
    Very interesting. Lots of Jambs, Zeros, engine damages & an occasional WIA.
    No Booms or smokes & only a Fire right at the end.
    Will try to get the AAR done early in the week.

Link to my Italian Front version - late March 1918 - aka The Empire Begins to Fall Apart.

https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...355#post525355

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-17-2019, 06:48
  2. BRF OTTBE Mission 17: Hell Over Hamel - 4th July 1918 - by Flash
    By flash in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-05-2017, 09:49
  3. AAR OTTBE Mission 17: Flash's Hell Over Hamel - 4th July 1918
    By flash in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-01-2017, 08:13