Ares Games
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GAMES & TABLES FOR DONCASTER 2020

Default GAMES & TABLES FOR DONCASTER 2020

If anyone would like to run any games this year please let me know here and I can begin to construct a timetable of events etc.

Traditionally we have gone with a WW1, WW2 and Sails table, but I think it would be good to have a dedicated BSG table as well this year.
    Would also be nice to see a few Tripods here and there.
    We will conclude with our Traditional and chaotic Aces of Aces Game but other than that I will attempt to accomodate as much variation and fun as possible... over to you chaps (and lady chaps obviously)

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Chaps and chapesses, I am up for a Sails game again.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

I'll come up with something. Probably WW2 with Bombers.

Thanks Reg - good man

Rob are you playing or running Sails?

I'll put on a WW1 Wings game. Yet to be chosen

Quote Originally Posted by Hedeby View Post
    Rob are you playing or running Sails?
    I will run a game Chris.
    Yet to decide which!

Rob.

I'll run a "Battlestar Galactica" or two...………..
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Good man... I can’t wait.

I'm not tempting fate but I would like to run Shanghai Dawn, WW2, 1938 China. 3rd time lucky.

Neil
    See you on the Dark Side......

And I would love to play that game... nice one Neil

OK so no closer to being able to say whether this year’s Doncaster event will be going ahead or not. Our reservation at the venue stands but obviously the world picture remains unclear at present. The positive thing is that we are still over four months away at the moment and things are slowly (very slowly) looking a bit brighter... I hope we can still go ahead, but I am guessing that it will be up to our various governments. So let’s just wait and see and keep our fingers crossed.

Looking back to March, I think I pre-empted the SNAFU by 3 weeks!

Quote Originally Posted by Hedeby View Post
    And I would love to play that game... nice one Neil

Even if we are allowed to attend our overseas friends may not be able to come.

As things stand, Paul and Mary would be the only ones allowed in without a two week quarentine.

Rob.

Well let’s hope that things are a lot more relaxed by then... wouldn’t be the same without our European friends, they make the event what it is...

I could not agree more Chris.
    Rob.

There's always a zoom option if there is an internet link in the room?

Neil

well, I'm still intending to come, but being allowed in is a different thing ...
    Maybe travelling by ferry & car is more acceptable then coming in by plane (he says hoping for it to be true ...)
    We'll see, we"ll see ...

cheers,
    Guus
    "zet 'm op ... witte muizen !" (strijdkreet van 1e JaVa, Luchtvaart Afdeling, Nederland 1940)
    "let's go get them ... white mice !" (battlecry of the 1st Fighter Group, Army Air Force, Netherlands 1940)

Nice one Guus...

All being equal we have the planes booked and the accom

My feeling is that the proposed "air bridges " (sounds an bit like Market garden there for a moment) will be up and running . My question is will the museum be allowed to hold an event for 2 days with more than 10 people in attendance, or is it all round to Manor Lambert for games and G&T

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Sounds good to me, but we just dont know at the moment do we?

Well, I'm still hoping it will go ahead, with all of our friends from abroad So I have come up with a WW1 Mission in the hopes. Haven't play tested it yet and when I do it will have to be solo, but what the heck

Chris, I'd like to send you a draft outline of the idea if that's ok. So could you please PM me with your e mail address. Thought I already had it but its not on my list right now.

Cheers all and fingers crossed

Mike

Way to go Mike . Can we quarantine in Newton Abbot for the duration , or better still the Olde Cider House

Sounds good to me Paul. I can mix. Use the Cider as a chaser for my G&t.
    Kyte.

Hi Chris
    Just an update on my Game.
    It will be a mixed squadron medium bomber sortie over Holland with the intention of taking out one of the Phillips factories.
    The aircraft will be Wellingtons and Blenheims with the defence being AA and Bf 109,s.
    Details still to be formulated (and Blenheims still to be constructed) but I am confident that all will be ready which is more than I can say for the venue.

I've got a little something in the pipeline for BSG, and it should be finished in time...………….

If not, I'll just throw everything on to the table and see what gets out alive!

No viruses please Tim.

Rumour on R4 isthat museums and attractions will open on 4 July
    Things are looking brighter

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    Hi Chris
    It will be a mixed squadron medium bomber sortie over Holland with the intention of taking out one of the Phillips factories.
    The aircraft will be Wellingtons and Blenheims with the defence being AA and Bf 109,s.
    Details still to be formulated (and Blenheims still to be constructed) but I am confident that all will be ready which is more than I can say for the venue.
    Haha, count me in for this game !!
    cheers,
    Guus
    "zet 'm op ... witte muizen !" (strijdkreet van 1e JaVa, Luchtvaart Afdeling, Nederland 1940)
    "let's go get them ... white mice !" (battlecry of the 1st Fighter Group, Army Air Force, Netherlands 1940)

Way to go Mike . Can we quarantine in Newton Abbot for the duration , or better still the Olde Cider Hous
    Definitely buddy and the Cider House is only five minutes up the road

fingers crossed for Doncaster. Hoping to meet you all

Likewise...

Chris any chance we could have a list of games being planned please?

Neil

I’ll add something in tomorrow

I will join in any game just to get playing. Not many players near me. Only played twice and itching to play more.

Good man, let’s hope we can still go ahead, lot of stir crazy folk about

So thus far we have...

SAILS... Rob (game details t.b.c.)

WW1... Mike (Calling in the Artillery)
    WW1... t.b.c.

WW2... Reg (Attack on the Phillips factory)
    WW2... Neil (Shanghai Dawn. 1938 China)

BSG... Tim (game t.b.c.)
    BSG... Tim (game t.b.c.)

T&T... ?

This is what we have thus far... Need another couple of games I think, WW1, WW2, Tripods.. Any volunteers let me know

If nobody else comes up with a second WW1 mission I could always put on another straightforward Balloon busting scenario. I'd base it on one of the OTT scenarios we did some time back.

Balloon busting is always fun...

I will have a WW1 game on standby just in case....

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    Hi Chris
    Hi Reg, if it helps I have two Wellington bombers and 4 Blenheim IVs. The Blenheims have bases and cards already. If you want to add some light bomber assistance I also have 4 Fairey Battles
    John

Lest we forget

I can do the Dieppe air cover scenario which I was unable to bring last year if you like?
    Just basic dogfighting with Fw 190a, Spit VB and Spit IX.
    Up to 12 players.

Lest we forget

Quote Originally Posted by johnbiggles View Post
    Hi Reg, if it helps I have two Wellington bombers and 4 Blenheim IVs. The Blenheims have bases and cards already. If you want to add some light bomber assistance I also have 4 Fairey Battles
    John
    Hi John
    That would be great. I only have 3 Wellingtons and one of those is in Coastal Command camo.
    I would very much like a look at or a copy of your Blenheim cards if possible. I will also have 4 Mk. IV's on the table. Do you know what maneuver cards I should use for the Wellingtons? I think the Battles would be nice but they would overcrowd the table so no, unfortunately.
    Lastly will you help me run the game as it has suddenly got a lot bigger than I originally envisaged?

Hi Reg, happy to help.
    I've not actually looked at Wellington's on the table, I got a couple because my father spent some time in them.
    I'll have a look through the files to see what the forum has an to offer.
    PM sent
    Last edited by johnbiggles; 06-28-2020 at 05:00.

Lest we forget

OK, going to try and download the proposed two WW1 missions - hopefully the diagram in Big Shots will make it. Comments , required adjustments etc gratefully received. As I've not produced a group mission before, with time constraints, its the latter I'm most concerned about, especially as I'm not in a position to play test them with other real players. So the advice that any of you can give would seriously be appreciated, whether positive or negative.

Doncaster 2020 – World War 1 Mission 1 Brief - Big Shots

Takes place during The Battle of the Messines Road Ridge 20th - 25th September 1917.
    It involves artillery cooperation to destroy enemy targets.

Two sides based on three players each – but can cater for more or less.
    Each team will have two two-seaters and four scouts. Decide a strategy to achieve the objectives. I envisage players controlling two models each.

Set up – Equivalent of three mats laid long edges together. Two target locations, for each team, will be placed at the start of the mission.

Objective:
    Two seaters - Destroy targets through the observer calling in artillery fire.
    Scouts – Defend the two seaters and destroy enemy aircraft (two seaters the priority).

As per a diagram taken from “War in the Air” volume III page 311 (See below) the two seater must fly a pattern to both call the shots and make corrections. Each shot will result in a 2D6 roll of the dice. To destroy the target the score must be 12 or more. The first call is dice only, subsequent calls add 6 to the rolls, followed by a definite “Target destroyed”.
    After a target is destroyed another will be added, in a random position chosen by the umpire, until “Time” is called.

Meanwhile the scouts should do their job. Any aircraft shot down may be replaced with another until games end. That includes the two seaters. All starting from their original starting positions.

Normal rules will apply, including the rule about observers being unable to do two things at once! Miss a call or observation opportunity and its “start again” as soon as the aircraft is in the correct position.

Victory Points: Target destroyed 10 points; two seater shot down (SD) or forced to retire (FRTB) 5 points; Scout SD or FTRB 3 points.
    (I’m assuming that for the purpose of the Ace of Aces table, players will be credited in some way with any achievement.

Notes: The 2 seater flying pattern referred to will require some imaginative use of movement cards. I trust this is acceptable e.g When an RE8 turns, two turn cards is insufficient and three too many to maintain the pattern. It requires two and a half

I cannot group play test this right now, but shall shall try to play trial it solo. But that won’t give me a clear idea how long multiple players will take per “two seater pattern” . As of now, the RE8 takes one turn to reach start of first cycle and then around six turns to complete one cycle of the pattern (three cards to reach the target area, three to make turn 1, three to fly the diagonal and start the next turn, three more to make turn two. Three more to complete a straight and start turn 3, three to reach the startover point. If that is thought to be too many then I shall have to rethink the 2 seater calling and correction procedure. Its currently based on the idea, discovered during 1916, that the observers aircraft needs to be facing the ground based aerial for the signal to get through clearly.
    If this is too long maybe we can have the two seater simply flying the pattern but calling shots one per two turns until target hit.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Big Shots Diagram.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	35.5 KB 
ID:	290230

Doncaster 2020 - WWI Mission 2 Brief - Balloon Buster
    (Thanks to Gullyraker (Baz) who wrote the original version for the OTT DYM campaign – available on the OTT campaign files).

It is early in 1917 and you are on the western front where opposing forces rely heavily on tethered observation balloons for information, particularly for short range artillery bombardments & movement of troops in the front lines.
    Orders have been received for a troublesome balloon to be destroyed as soon as possible, since it is directing fire onto your local front line trenches, causing heavy casualties. Unknown to you, the enemy have just issued the exact same orders – to destroy one of your balloons that is responsible for inflicting heavy casualties in their trenches.

Set Up:
    The opposing sides balloons are in the centre and 1.5 range rulers from their game play base lines.

Each side will have one (possibly two)* single seater scout(s) per player and each team will need to decide how many of them will defend their own balloon and how many will attack the opposition’s balloon. The starting position will be anywhere on the right hand side of your area (facing the enemy) and within 1.5 range ruler distance of your base line.

Mission rules:
    Aircraft will carry either normal or incendiary ammunition (no rockets are available). The incendiaries may not be used against other aircraft, only against balloons. If you attack an enemy aircraft with incendiary bullets you will be penalized. Changing ammunition requires flying off table (from any edge) and returning, after three manoeuver cards, from your original starting point.

Each balloon will have a single,"A" firing, AA machine gun as additional defence. These AAMG's can only fire at aircraft at level 2 or below & will be set up touching one face of the balloon base (your choice of face).
    All aircraft & balloons will commence at LEVEL SIX (i.e. 6 pegs).
    Balloons will commence decent after the first shots are fired at it by the attackers & will reduce height by ONE LEVEL every TWO TURNS
    The attacking aircraft will naturally dive to follow balloons down but there will be no +1 advantage of height against the balloon, only against other aircraft.

Victory points:
    10 points for destroying a balloon.
    5 points if a balloon is on fire but not yet fully destroyed, when it reaches the ground.
    2 points for any enemy scout shot down.
    1 point for any enemy scout forced to return to base.
    -5 points for each time incendiary ammunition is used, deliberately or by mistake, against an opposing aircraft. (e.g. -10 points for a close range shot)

*Depends on player numbers.
    Last edited by mikeemagnus; 07-16-2020 at 01:03.

this sounds like it's gonna be fun

Chris, please put me down for Mikeemagnus's Doncaster 2020 – World War 1 Mission 1 Brief - Big Shots. Don't mind which side or whether single or 2 seater.
    Reg

errm - you can't change ammunition type in flight if your gun is belt-fed (ie everything except the Lewis and Hotchkiss).

You could have 1 belt of normal and the other of incendiary if an 'A' firer, and could then only fire as a 'B' against another plane or the other 'B' against the balloon; if you fire both guns at the balloon, you're only using 50% incendiary, so shouldn't get the same benefits as an 'A' firing "double incendiary belt" 'A' firer.

Otherwise, I agree, sounds like a lot of fun!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. DONCASTER 2020 ATTENDEES CONFIRMATION
    By Hedeby in forum Doncaster 2020
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 07-13-2020, 17:00
  2. Doncaster 2020 Eagle Trophy - New Name
    By Hedeby in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-05-2020, 12:23
  3. Doncaster 2020
    By Hedeby in forum Doncaster Con