Ares Games

Thread: Cons

Default Cons

Forgive me for asking something that has probably been asked in the past but with medals what differentiates a Con from a Minor con? For example I have medals for Cancon and Wintercon, both of which are held in Canberra but what about the WW2 Bombs away tournament being held at Conquest 2020 in Melbourne on April 10th to the 12th? Is that a Minor Con? It seems to me that something lasting 3 days should be a major one.

Any thoughts

That info is out of date Gary - creating individual con medals for every event & maintaining records was too much of a time demand so the system now is to have major and minor cons.
    If I recall correctly every country has two majors - everything else is classed as a minor, for which there are two medal types available & no repeats.
    I take it Cancon and Wintercon were decided as your major con's, so anything else is a minor.

This thread may explain things better: https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...vention-Medals

"He is wise who watches"

By the way, I think it is much more difficult to earn a minor con medal than the major one EU or Australian one are fine examples

Well, earning Con medals can be very problematic, unless there are administrators that moderate them.

In Canada, we don't have any administrators/co-ordinators, so all the Canadian conventions I've attended over the past 7 years are not indicated by any medals, major or minor.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    Well, earning Con medals can be very problematic, unless there are administrators that moderate them. In Canada, we don't have any administrators/co-ordinators, so all the Canadian conventions I've attended over the past 7 years are not indicated by any medals, major or minor.
    Harder still when Canada doesn't feature in the list, or, have any medals to give ! If you did you could indent for the medals & any admin could approve them. Have a word with Herr Oberst or Eric. You don't miss that much though - for all the UK events I have attended over the years I have two medals.
    The so called majors mentioned in the UK need looking at, one I believe is now defunct, the other is on every other year ? Maybe Salute, touted as the biggest independent one-day wargaming and gaming event in the UK, will finally get the recognition it should have had.

"He is wise who watches"

I agree Salute should be a major Con
    Which is the one that doesn't exist anymore? actually where is the UK list, it could probably do with a thorough overhaul as there are new shows and now defunct shows..

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Salute should certainly take over from Triples as the Major Chris. We only regarded two day shows as eligible, but that seems to be illogical now with the Worlds going too. There was a good chance that the Worlds would be reinstated, but I think that is now a dead letter. I would suggest Hammerhead and Salute take over. It will need you to get Keith and Ling onside to create, and approve the new medal and en place it in the Medal Tables.
    As far as Canada is concerned, obviously no one has stepped up and asked Keith for the medals to be created yet. Whoever is games master at a Con can ask for medals for attendees by using the pro forma on the Medals file. I will then approve them for you.

Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

I recommend don't open Con medals discussion again - I remember there were a lot of bad feelings about this topic, almost a flame, ok, not war, but skirmish.
    Let it sleep and be happy for Doncaster & Prague that are the only WoG exclusive cons.

Quote Originally Posted by Hedeby View Post
    I agree Salute should be a major Con
    Which is the one that doesn't exist anymore? actually where is the UK list, it could probably do with a thorough overhaul as there are new shows and now defunct shows..
    It was Triples & Derby Worlds that were the majors Chris, Triples has gone I believe & Worlds is struggling if not gone too. The only info I'm aware of is in the link: https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...vention-Medals . There is no list of minor cons but I guess the usual established show events we get into qualify.
    Last edited by flash; 02-25-2020 at 04:32.

"He is wise who watches"

Similar Missions

1. Pros and cons.
    By Rebel in forum Colors and Markings
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-20-2017, 10:10
  2. Upcoming mini-cons
    By zenlizard in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-27-2017, 15:08
  3. Pity There's No Gaming Cons In Tonopah, NV...
    By csadn in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-19-2015, 14:36
  4. Anyone got a Template for a WoG/ Forum Flyer for Cons?
    By gully_raker in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-08-2013, 14:27