Ares Games

Thread: Valom Fokker EIII Udet and Sachsenberg

Default Valom Fokker EIII Udet and Sachsenberg

Fokker EIII of Ernst Udet (KeK Habsheim) and Gotthard Sachsenberg (1 Marine FFA). My first EIII since my first Valom kits. This time the landing struts are all Valom photo-etched parts! The original two Valom EIII are in the final photo.

More planes to build / paint for the OTT campaign but this should do me for at least the first mission.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fokker EIII Udet - Sachs 1.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	90.2 KB 
ID:	282679 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fokker EIII Udet - Sachs 2.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	97.4 KB 
ID:	282678 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fokker EIII - 4 Valom.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	125.7 KB 
ID:	282677

Wow they are fantastic! Well done that man

Paul, those are fantastic minis! The details of the cowling, engine and prop are amazing. EIII’s have never really appealed to me, but these had me enlarging the picture to take in your work.

The more I see the Valom kits come to life, the more courage I muster to open my boxes and get started. Maybe just one or two more examples!

echo biggles' comments - well done that man

Thanks, chaps.

Quote Originally Posted by Von Scharf View Post
    Paul, those are fantastic minis! The details of the cowling, engine and prop are amazing. EIII’s have never really appealed to me, but these had me enlarging the picture to take in your work.

The more I see the Valom kits come to life, the more courage I muster to open my boxes and get started. Maybe just one or two more examples!
    You've seen my post on the first two Valom models (the two Fokker E.III on the outside of the four). I was wondering how it would go as this was the first Fokker E.III I"ve done since then. Far, far easier than I thought and easier than Nieuport 11 or RAF SE5a.

The prop and engine are dead easier to do. The engine is black with a grey highlight. The prop just needs a brush with a fine point - black followed by silver (I find silver need a black undercoat). The cowling is also easy. Paint a light grey and then dab polka dots of silver all over it. On the more recent two I experimented with flat varnish over that which didn't work so I had to re-do the polka dots.

It's not obvious from the photos but they show the evolution of my painting from a more contrasting style to one which is less so as that works better for CDL. The first 2 Fokker EIII had a dark brown primer, a coat of the main colour (2 for the CDL as the paint is fairly translucent) and a highlight colour. The last 2 have a dark brown primer for the grey and a white primer for the CDL/Fokker beige (dark primer works better for greys, greens, reds and blues but white for lighter colours). That's followed by the main colour a little darker than what you see. Then a dark brown ink dilute wash, followed by the main colour to highlight the wing sections between struts, etc. and finally I take the main colour dilute it down to a wash and wash all over the area with the colour to dull down the contrast. Finally a matt varnish....but not on the silver bits (doesn't work). So that's 6 coats - primer, main colour, dark ink wash (I would do the planes like the Udet in a black ink wash next time), main colour, diluted main colour as a wash and then matt varnish.

Also, my joins for the photo-etch parts aren't as fine as Florian's or Tim's. These are game pieces so I reinforce the crazy-glue joins with a dab of epoxy which makes them less neat but gives them strength (crazy-glue) and flexibility (epoxy plus more strength). The plastic bits on my Valom minis will crack before the joints come apart! They are durable but light game pieces. I love to use them in games.

Wow they are possibly the best Eindeckers I have seen, fantastic work.

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Very nice! I wish I could make the undercarriage struts that thin on Shapeways planes!

Quote Originally Posted by Hedeby View Post
    Wow they are possibly the best Eindeckers I have seen, fantastic work.
    That’s very nice of you. There’s some pretty strong ‘competition’ out there.

Quote Originally Posted by ReducedAirFact View Post
    Very nice! I wish I could make the undercarriage struts that thin on Shapeways planes!
    Maybe someday the technology (at a reasonable price) will be there.

Similar Missions

1. Started with Valom Fokker EIII set
    By ShadowDragon in forum Metal and Resin Models
    Replies: 106
    Last Post: 05-27-2020, 17:34
  2. Fokker EIII
    By stiggo44 in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-26-2015, 10:15
  3. 1/144 Brengun Fokker EII/EIII
    By Roger Wilco in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-03-2014, 10:26
  4. Reviresco Fokker EIII
    By Dark Horse in forum Metal and Resin Models
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 01-29-2012, 04:37
  5. SKYTREX FOKKER EIII - AND THEN THERE WERE THREE!
    By COLBATMAN in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 12-19-2011, 20:41