Ares Games

Thread: Ground attack possibilities inc Hawker Typhoon

Default Ground attack possibilities inc Hawker Typhoon

Hi all

My son and I are wondering what could be a useful ground attack aircraft, I thought of the Hawker Typhoon however there doesn't seem to be a Wings of Glory model.

Does anyone have any experience making a custom card deck or making their own model?

I have a Stuka for the germans so we would like something similar for the Allies.

Here's what we have collected so far...

Allies
    3 x Spitfire Mk1
    1 x Beaufighter (Night colours)

Axis
    3 x BF109 E-3
    1 x Stuka JU87

Lightbulb

Well, you're (IMHO) on the best possible way. I had a serious problem with Beaufighter several years ago - it's a beast that can literary erase an enemy fighter from the sky in one shot. The key is "force" Beaufighters and Me.110 attack ground targets so they won't take care about fighters.

Check this mission and tell me your opinion: Dieppe Raid (a Beaufighter Mission)

PS: Invest your time to AA gun rules - they can move the game to a new dimension (and it a fun to target them).

AiM has resin Typhoons for sale that many of us here highly recommend.
    http://www.angelfire.com/nj4/armamen.../resin09mm.htm

The unofficial stats for it and the Tempest are:
    Typhoon:
    Deck: T, guns: CCCC/CC; hits: 20; ceiling: 12; climb: 4
    Tempest:
    Deck: T, guns: CCCC/CC; hits: 20; ceiling: 12; climb: 3

I had previously posted them as the P deck, but with the release of the P-47, and the greater similarities of the Typhoon/Tempest to it than the P-51,
    I updated them.

Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Thanks for this, we will give this a try it looks fun. So the Beau shoots its guns/cannon and doesn't drop bombs? Seems simple enough, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    AiM has resin Typhoons for sale that many of us here highly recommend.
    http://www.angelfire.com/nj4/armamen.../resin09mm.htm

The unofficial stats for it and the Tempest are:
    Typhoon:
    Deck: T, guns: CCCC/CC; hits: 20; ceiling: 12; climb: 4
    Tempest:
    Deck: T, guns: CCCC/CC; hits: 20; ceiling: 12; climb: 3

I had previously posted them as the P deck, but with the release of the P-47, and the greater similarities of the Typhoon/Tempest to it than the P-51,
    I updated them.

Karl
    So, are you saying I could get the movement cards for a P47 and they would be suitable as a stand in Typhoon?

That website looks good, I'll check out what the shipping might be like to the UK. Models look decent.

Quote Originally Posted by Talos View Post
    So, are you saying I could get the movement cards for a P47 and they would be suitable as a stand in Typhoon?
    Exactly. The purpose of the unofficial aircraft project is to allow non-released by Ares/Nexus planes to fly on the board.
    There are a lot of decks that are modified (cards removed), but the Typhoon/Tempest is not one of them.
    Here's the files I've posted so far:
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/do...o=file&id=2136
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/do...o=file&id=2137
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/do...o=file&id=2138

I'm a bit behind in updating, and posting new planes.
    Life, et al

Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Thanks for this, we will give this a try it looks fun. So the Beau shoots its guns/cannon and doesn't drop bombs? Seems simple enough, thanks.
    Exactly, it is simple! For precise bombing you need to have it "in your hand" (= be experienced with maneuvre cards), but for strafing it is easy - altitude rules with AA guns will do all the fun (just because you aim even right altitude) and pilots of both types can focus on their targets.

Bombing is also fun, but of different type: have a plane with several firing arcsor try to do a perfect dive bombing with getting some altitude back, that is not bad

By the way, these files are gems of this site. They are something like GECK from Fallout - they can rebuilt whole world even after nuclear disaster in Ares HQ
    Last edited by Dan-Sam; 02-20-2020 at 13:33.

Aim produce quality models. I have a large amount for the Pacific Theatre and Sino Japanese conflict from 36 onwards.

Postage is reasonable but you will still need to order bases from the Aerodrome Store, or if you can get the Wings bases from Litko, check as the do 2 types one fits a Wings peg the other doesn't.

Neil
    See you on the Dark Side......

If you're looking for something in keeping with the BoB models you have get a Fairey Battle - slow & vulnerable - perfect bait !

"He is wise who watches"

Interesting you mention them, Dave. Sven described a mission with (tikkifriends's?) Defiants on his blog. Just few things about them:

Quote Originally Posted by marechallannes
    Never fought those planes. Same went for Reg - he was so impressed, that he catched a lot of bullets while staring at those exotic planes. The one thing you should remember: The Definat does not fire forward or rewards only to the sides, so it’s not a brilliant idea to fly side by side the whole time.

----------------
    Post Scriptum: It was Sven's most brilliant and most memorized mission due to destruction of a very special target for which he was credited with a special order...
    Quote Originally Posted by marechallannes
    Wrecked 2 hangars, 3 trench positions and the Airfield toilets with bombs and strafing runs. Control tower, two parked Defiants and the bar survived with more or less heavy damage.

The Fairey Battle had a single fixed gun, usually a Vickers .303in (7.62mm) machine gun, installed in the starboard wing & a single .303in Vickers K machine gun carried on a special mounting aft of the rear cockpit. (The partially successful fitting of a Vickers K beneath the bomb aimer’s panel to cover the blind spot was not universal, and only fitted as a field modification to a number of Battles in action over France in 1940).

http://silverhawkauthor.com/canadian...attle_720.html

They'd be far less effective than the Boulton Paul Defiant's Sven encountered !

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    If you're looking for something in keeping with the BoB models you have get a Fairey Battle - slow & vulnerable - perfect bait !
    I just looked this plane up having not heard of it before. Interestingly, the Fairey Battle was stationed at RAF Upwood in Cambridgeshire near me.

Hawker Typhoon was a heck of a ground attack plane. Would be cool to see in in the game at some point!!

Quote Originally Posted by Texas_Archer View Post
    Hawker Typhoon was a heck of a ground attack plane. Would be cool to see in in the game at some point!!
    I wouldn't wait for ARES to make them, get them (unpainted) from AIM now.

I just looked this plane up having not heard of it before. Interestingly, the Fairey Battle was stationed at RAF Upwood in Cambridgeshire near me.
    Well there you go - a bit of local added interest !

"He is wise who watches"

What about Mosquitoes? They could be quite handy....

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Other possible sources for a Typhoon model are Shapeways (http://www.Shapeways.com) and the Hawker Typhoon models by Sky Pilot. The latter come ready painted but they are 1/180 scale, which are usable with 1/200 scale models. They are often available on eBay. Other Sky Pilot models are not all the same scale.

Quote Originally Posted by Hedeby View Post
    What about Mosquitoes? They could be quite handy....
    AIM has 5 models of mossies, plus

https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...sie-stats-here

Karl

Similar Missions

1. Typhoon vs Gestapo - RAF Pilot Rogue Attack 1943
    By tikkifriend in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 09-01-2019, 19:08
  2. Ground Attack 24-02-2017
    By Naharaht in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 03-30-2017, 23:15
  3. WGSF Official Hawker Typhoon Painting Thread
    By DarrylH in forum Painting Showcase
    Replies: 6