Ares Games

Thread: 'Wings' at the Williamsburg Muster 2020

Default 'Wings' at the Williamsburg Muster 2020

Game #1 We were joined by a great couple from Northern VA who already play the WW2 version of the game so had little trouble picking up the WWI rules. They are also moving house soon and considering relocating to our area!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1778.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	111.0 KB 
ID:	282266

Name:	IMG_1779.jpg 
Size:	104.2 KB 
ID:	282272

The girls decided they would issue a challenge to take on all comers so it was game on with points awarded for shooting down or driving off opponents. Damaged aircraft reaching base could be repaired, and losses replaced so long as playing time allowed (4 hours), with the highest scoring side awarded victory.

Name:	IMG_1785.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	115.8 KB 
ID:	282268

Name:	IMG_1786.jpg 
Size:	117.9 KB 
ID:	282269

Name:	IMG_1783.jpg 
Size:	111.9 KB 
ID:	282270

As game master, I have to say it was a great tribute to the playing skills of all at the table that so much thrilling action took place with comparatively low casualties, with the Allies shooting down two Germans and driving off three more (landed in friendly territory) for none of their own lost and two damaged, forced down. 13 points to 2, a clear victory!

Name:	IMG_1783.jpg 
Size:	111.9 KB 
ID:	282270

Name:	IMG_1788.jpg 
Size:	90.2 KB 
ID:	282271

Name:	IMG_1789.jpg 
Size:	100.4 KB 
ID:	282273
    Everyone enjoyed the game so much I was asked to schedule a rematch that evening, and luckily table space was available......
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1781.jpg  

Part Deux!

Having won the first battle, it was decided that the allies would go over to the offensive and seek out the Hun squadron (the infamous She Devils) at their own base behind the lines: the task was given to the French Armee de l'Air who deployed a Br 14 Bomber and four of the newest SPAD XIII fighter to seek out and destroy the enemy HQ. Smarting a little from their defeat in the first game, the She Devils were determined to exact revenge and make the bold Frenchmen pay dearly for their foray across the lines. The base was camouflaged and ringed with defensive gun batteries while single and two seater combat planes prowled overhead.

Name:	IMG_1798.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	87.3 KB 
ID:	282274

Name:	IMG_1800.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	91.3 KB 
ID:	282275

Battle was immediately joined with the lighting fast SPADs charging in like the noble French knights of 500 years earlier to be engaged by the nimble German fighters using their superior maneuverability: a classic battle of boom & zoom versus turn & burn tactics.

Name:	IMG_1801.jpg 
Size:	103.6 KB 
ID:	282276

First to fall was a a Roland CLII which despite giving a good account of itself was overwhelmed by the combined assault of a pair of SPADs. Elsewhere, French and German scouts circled each other trading shots, looking for the advantage like boxers in a ring. This enabled the Br14 to slip through the defenses almost unnoticed and salvo its first bombs on to one of the ground targets.

Name:	IMG_1804.jpg 
Size:	104.6 KB 
ID:	282277

Determined to avenge the fallen Roland, a white Fokker DVII swooped on one SPAD and it blew it to smithereens while another unwary Frenchman flew too close to the AA battery and was shredded by a Flak shell, setting it aflame. Chased by multiple enemies, the French plane was last seen hedge hopping towards to reach his own lines, somewhat scorched!

Name:	IMG_1802.jpg 
Size:	85.2 KB 
ID:	282278

Refueled and rearmed, the French bomber returned and dropped a little payback on the offending gun battery while the white Fokker zeroed on a second victim and sent another SPAD pilot to glory! The Br 14 dropped its last bombs and headed for home, confident of victory and no doubt already tasting the champagne only to learn that because of faulty intelligence reports, he had bombed the decoy target set by the dastardly Huns!

Name:	IMG_1805.jpg 
Size:	93.3 KB 
ID:	282279

Thanks to everyone who took part and played so well for making it a fun event.

Looks like a good crack!

Thanks for posting the photos!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Thank you for sharing the action!

Looks like a good time. Nice Camels in the 1st game.

Thanks for posting. Pity about the wrong target!!

Great to see this. Looks like you guys had a lot of fun with honours shared evenly. Thanks, Stuart, for sharing

Fast action, and a rousing game. Well-done to all the participants!
    Last edited by zenlizard; 02-19-2020 at 15:56.

Sorry I missed you Stuart. Last time I went down there we had no games so wasn't sure what would happen this year. Good to see some familiar faces. Is that Rich in the one photo ? haven't heard from him in some time.

Hey Bob, I was hoping to see you too as I still have that book you lent me! Yes Rich was there, but doing a WW2 land game that clashed with our time slot. He said he hadn't seen you in forever either..........

Thumbs up

Yes i was there. Two tables away. It was good to see the She Devils back in Williamsburg. I ran a ran a 10mm WW2 Portable Wargame, using the Hexon II system. It was good seeing Stuart, JJ, **** and Christen.

Rich
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20200215_104128983.jpg   IMG_20200215_113758166.jpg   IMG_20200215_113753700.jpg  

Good to see you back in action Richard, great pics from the WW1 tables Stuart.
    See you on the Dark Side......

Similar Missions

1. Williamsburg Muster Day 1
    By BobP in forum WGS: After Action Reports
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 02-16-2015, 14:07
  2. Williamsburg Muster
    By BobP in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 02-15-2014, 19:05
  3. Williamsburg Muster II
    By BobP in forum WGS: Mission Discussions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-09-2014, 13:30
  4. Williamsburg Muster in Williamsburg Virginia!
    By richard m schwab in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-05-2010, 18:12
  5. Williamsburg Muster
    By richard m schwab in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-16-2010, 13:46