Ares Games

Thread: Doncaster 2020 Eagle Trophy - New Name

Default Doncaster 2020 Eagle Trophy - New Name

Since we started our annual gatherings at Doncaster we have awarded our Top Ace the magnificent Eagle Trophy.
    Given the tragic news of Matt’s passing yesterday and in recognition of everything he has done for us (not just the wonderful series of custom counter boxes- which I feel will now have even greater significance for those of us lucky enough to have one), I believe we should rename our top award THE HARRY MATERNE TROPHY.

I hope this meets your approval.

I know Matt never got to attend our gatherings in person, but this way we will have a little something to remember him by each year.

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

I understand and support the idea, but let's ask B.G.I.F firstly. Harry / Matt was an American, so let's see their opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan-Sam View Post
    I understand and support the idea, but let's ask B.G.I.F firstly. Harry / Matt was an American, so let's see their opinion.
    I agree - they might have first dibs on a Named Trophy.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

I'm sure Jim and the Ohio boys will come up with something.

My thought would be to have an award be given at the show where the Lend Lease participant is. Matt was instrumental to all of the Aerodrome, not just in the US.

Couldn't agree more, RIP Matt

As I was the person who instigated the Trophy and have paid for them each year, Chris asked my permission to name it after my co administrator. I gave my wholehearted consent. As far as I am concerned the primary person to ask is Harry's dear wife. She and she alone has the right to say yea or nay to this idea.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Well in that case, I'm all for it.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    I'm sure Jim and the Ohio boys will come up with something.

My thought would be to have an award be given at the show where the Lend Lease participant is. Matt was instrumental to all of the Aerodrome, not just in the US.
    Great thought that Peter . gets my vote if we have one. But as Rob said the thoughts and wishes of the nearest and dearest must be paramount

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

I agree with the comments and understand our US compatriots may want to name their own trophy in honour of Matts memory, but as Matt was involved in all the LL will it be an issue if the UK also want to honour him too?
    Maybe we could anotate this side of the pond with LL to show the difference
    Last edited by Boney10; 03-04-2020 at 04:53.

Obviously we do not want to burden Karleen with unimportant decisions right now, but as we have plenty of time to organise this before Doncaster, I would suggest that sometime during the summer Chris as UK supremo and prime mover at Doncaster get in touch with her to get her wishes known on this gesture of ours to honour his memory on this side of the pond.

Rob.

If I can add my 2¢ one more time, I recommend to solve this in months between Origins and Doncaster. There should be a quarter of a year between these two events - plenty of time for engraving a new plate for the trophy.

Quite so Daniel.

Rob.

Excellent, suggestion Rob and thank you to everyone for their input on this matter, lots of common sense and thoughtfulness.

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Similar Missions

1. Doncaster 2020
    By Hedeby in forum Doncaster Con
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 02-22-2020, 11:35
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-18-2020, 11:25
  3. Replies: 48
    Last Post: 10-20-2019, 12:36
  4. Another trophy to fight for down in Devon
    By mikeemagnus in forum Officer's Club