Ares Games

Thread: Now this would be an interesting scenario!

Default Now this would be an interesting scenario!

While on a recent short cruise around Tasmania, I reread my copy of 'Battle of Britain 1917' and this passage leapt out of the page and I do not know how I missed it on my first read:

‘On the Germans’ return flight they were intercepted by aircraft of No. 7/7 A Squadron, RNAS Coudekerque in Handley Page aircraft especially armed with five Lewis guns, which were undertaking an anti-Gotha patrol at a height of 10,000ft, to the north of Ostend. Three of the returning German raiders were spotted and two were engaged. The first eluded the Handley Pages, but the second was attacked at close range somewhere between Neuport and Ostend. The British aircraft managed to empty three drums into it. At first it appeared that the Gotha (GIV/602/16) would crash into the sea but in fact it crash landed on Dutch soil at Sas Van Gent: all but one of the crew members escaped intact; the remaining man was severely wounded.

Encountering these converted Handley Page bombers off the Belgian coast must have come as a considerable shock to the Germans. Certainly their combined firepower, with each aircraft sporting five Lewis guns gave them considerable punch. Unfortunately, the British authorities did not approve of using Handley Pages in this way and henceforth they were relegated back to the role of bomber.’

For those who have their own copy of this book (mine is an e-book) it is from chapter 8, page 20.

This really started the cogs whirring and I decided to do a little more research on the web and focused my attention on anything relating to 7/7 A Squadron with the aim of trying to find out exactly what Handley Page aircraft were used for this. My suspicion was the 0/100 and it was confirmed by this extract:

‘By mid-1917 the gradual increase in German airship and, in particular, aeroplane raids against England had created serious concern and on 16 June a signal from the Vice-Admiral Dover Command to Capt C L Lambe (later Air Vice-Marshal Sir Charles Lambe, KCB, CMG, DSO), the Senior Naval Officer RNAS HQ Dunkirk, suggested the use of Handley Page bombers fitted with W/T sets for 'coastal observation patrols' whenever local weather condition appeared to be favourable for the Germans to raid England, to act in effect as forewarning vehicles. Lambe's reply next day was to emphasize that Handley Pages were totally unsuitable for such a role on any continuing basis, and at the same time pointed out that a substantial increase in RNAS fighters and fighter pilots would almost certainly reduce, possibly even prevent, further German raids on England. Added weight to this last suggestion by Lambe had been the coincidental operational debut of Sopwith Fl Camel fighters only days before, when No. 4(N) Squadron had become the first unit to receive examples of that classic design, and on 4 July its Camels were to intercept a loose gaggle of 16 German Gotha bombers returning from a raid on England.

However at least one Handley Page from Coudekerque was to engage in a specific 'anti-Gotha' sortie, searching for German raiders, though combining this purpose with a bombing raid. On 29 September, 1917, this HP - No 3134, crewed by FSL Gibbs and four Gunlayers, AMs Kille, Langstone, Spencer and Conley from 7A Squadron - was armed with five Lewis guns and eight 65lb bombs, then detailed to patrol at 10,000 ft some 10 miles out to sea northwards of Ostend to search for German bombers.

During its subsequent four-hour patrol its crew spotted three enemy bombers and attacked two of them. The first to be engaged managed to escape into low mists, but the second was met between Ostend and Nieuport and attacked at less than 100 yds range. Five drums of Lewis gun ammunition were fired at the Gotha, which fell away in a very steep spiral and was then lost to the HP crew's sight. The gunner's victim was quite possibly Gotha G IV 602/16, which at about that same time force-landed just over the border of Holland at Sas-van-Gent with a severely wounded Observer, Leutnant Martin Emmler, aboard. Its crew abandoned Emmler and tried to escape internment, but were quickly captured, while Emmler died of his wounds shortly after.’

If you want the full text, you can find it at http://www.207squadron.rafinfo.org.uk/ww1/hpo100.htm

What a hoot of a scenario this would be for anyone who has any 0/100s!!

Why not use the O/400 model with an XA deck (instead of it's XB) v a pair of Gotha models - bit of research about gun placement & it should make for an interesting clash !

Sapiens qui vigilat "He is wise who watches"

Indeed, a quite intriguing possibility.

That does sound interesting. A slow motion ballet battle of giants.

Sounds good (but the collision chances are going to be huge). I think our little Tuesday night squad can muster 3 HP machines between us, and 4 Gotha's. Maybe a twin MG in the HP tail plus a couple of waist gunners and the front gun would make it 5 guns. Have to photocopy the HP plane card and do some creative art work for the fields of fire.

Handley-Page 0/400's had twin nose guns. two single dorsal guns and a single ventral gun.

https://riseofflight.com/store/aircr...ey-page-0-400/

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    Handley-Page 0/400's had twin nose guns. two single dorsal guns and a single ventral gun.

https://riseofflight.com/store/aircr...ey-page-0-400/
    But what about the HP O/100 which is what we're looking to replicate ?

Sapiens qui vigilat "He is wise who watches"

Sounds like it would make a great scenario!

Similar Missions

1. Interesting
    By Rebel in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-03-2015, 09:13
  2. WGF This could be interesting...
    By Guntruck in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 10-02-2015, 01:05
  3. Interesting...
    By Black Sheep One in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 4