Ares Games
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Passing of a Dear Friend

Sad to hear this news. My condolences to Matt's family and friends. I enjoyed gaming with him at Origins.

Such sad news. My condolences to his family.

He really was a pillar of our community. My condolences to his family.

Just saw the announcement of the raffle winner and I noticed who wrote it. He will not be forgotten. Still hard to get over.

I just saw this ... my deepest condolences to his wife and children. While I never met him face to face, he and I exchanged a number of messages and PMs over my time on the site and he was always very kind and giving. I am saddened by his loss.

We Are Diminished.
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

I have been off the site for a while, and I am truly saddened to find such a loss to the Aerodrome, and especially to his family and friends!!! I was able to meet him at Origins too, and I feel the loss also!!! Rest assured, though he has traded in his air wings in for Angel wings, he will always be there flying top cover for us!!!

May you rest in peace, my Friend. You epitomized graciousness. We are better for knowing you. You are, and will be, missed.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

What? How did I miss this? My condolences to his loved ones. He will be missed.

I just posted Matt's official site obituary as well as started the Matt Materne Memorial Fund to help his family cover the cost of the Celebration of Life gathering they are having in his honor.

Just got on and saw this so made my donation. Although I never met Matt I felt close to him since we were both in the Army Security Agency (ASA). Matt was a 98C and I was an O5H. ASA was a small unit but we never crossed paths. When he was in Berlin I was in Thailand, a world apart. As so many in here have stated he will be missed but not forgotten. Below is the ASA patch.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img053.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	120.1 KB 
ID:	283474

Our official moto was:
    Vigilant Always

Unofficial moto was:
    In God we trust, all others we monitor

Again - I have no words...

I‘m in.
    Last edited by Marechallannes; 03-11-2020 at 08:13.
    Voilŕ le soleil d'Austerlitz!

Quote Originally Posted by Marechallannes View Post
    Again - no words...

I‘m in.
    I will be, when I get home - again, Work Computers not allowing financial transactions
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

I am also in. The most stylish would be donate it in old West German Marks from times Matt served there

Donation in. We'll miss you my friend.

Thanks for doing this Keith.
    Last edited by Teaticket; 03-11-2020 at 07:22.

I'm in.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Donation sent.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Thank you for doing this, Keith.

I only knew Matt from the 'drome. He helped me the day that I joined and I recognized he was a quality person at that moment. It didn't take very long to realize he was a giant of the forum.

Blue skies, sir!
    Last edited by Von Scharf; 03-11-2020 at 10:26.

I am also in.
    Had always hoped to meet Harry in person and had PMd here and Facebook in the week prior to his passing, which made the announcement even more of a shock.
    Blue Skies, matt56

Donation sent.

Blue Skies

Mick

Likewise

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Donation sent.

I was really looking forward to meeting Matt at long last at Origins this year - he was always so helpful, supportive, talented, and the biggest fan of everyone else's achievements on the Forum.

Blue Skies for ever, Matt/Harry

Thanks for organising this, Keith.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Donation sent. I’ll miss my email exchanges with Matt - only infrequent but always interesting.

Donation sent, we will always him

Donation sent. The least I can do for Matt's family.
    RIP Matt
    "zet 'm op ... witte muizen !" (strijdkreet van 1e JaVa, Luchtvaart Afdeling, Nederland 1940)
    "let's go get them ... white mice !" (battlecry of the 1st Fighter Group, Army Air Force, Netherlands 1940)

My donation has been sent.
    So how many books are in your personal library?

Made my donation this morning.
    It is hard to believe Matt (Harry) has passed.
    I got a PM from him re a Medal Award just the day before he died.
    Shattered is the word to describe how I feel.

Donation made.

Man, this is tough. I never even met 'Matt'.

It is hard to describe how I feel, I can't imaging those closest to him.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Donation made the several days ago -- while I never met him, we exchanged several emails and PMs -- he was always helpful and kind. My deepest condolences to his family.
    Bill

Matt's Celebration of Life has been cancelled. There is no reschedule date set.

Here's to them what are like us. Damn few and they're all dead.

That is more sad news, alas all to understandable in current climates

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

I will think of him and raise a glass on my birthday anyway. We did this for a friend of ours last year for those who could not be at the funeral. At 12 noon London time where ever we were around the world we all toasted her life.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Missions

1. RIP my dear friend Jeff
    By P-51D in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 12-24-2019, 01:12
  2. Passing of a Friend bumblie3
    By richard m schwab in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 02-07-2018, 17:35
  3. Happy Birthday Dear Friend - Nightbomber's a baby today
    By Blackronin in forum Officer's Club