Ares Games

Thread: New player Wings of Glory

Default New player Wings of Glory

Hi all,

My son (8) and I (44) have just started playing our first ever game of Wings of Glory. We are new to this kind of game but are enjoying it.

We have bought the Battle of Britain starter set and a Spitfire and Bf109 E3. We would like to add some dive bombers and a bomber for the British too, not sure what to get yet. We also bought an excellent Coastal mat to play on, really adds immersion.

Hoping we are not too late to the party, I see the game has been out for some time, it appears some models are quite pricey! If anyone has recommendations of current up to date stockists or good deals we'd appreciate it (I searched the forum but many shops either out of stock or seemingly closed)

Lastly, I enjoyed looking through the files section, some interesting custom made cards/scenarios, and tips on adding to the game also welcome.

Looks like our dining table will remain in WW2 condition for some time to come...fortunately we eat in the kitchen most days!

Hi Mark. Welcome to the Aerodrome from down in Dorset. Some models can be very hard to come by unfortunately. I would recommend trying my FLGS, Entoyment Wargaming and Hobby Store in Poole, but also if you are after something in particular then other forum members may be able to assist.

Hi Mark - welcome to the 'Drome!

For models, try "Entoyment" in Poole - they had some WW2 planes at the 'Beachhead' show last weekend. RRP.
    On ebay, GamesQuest had some Ju87s about a week ago.

For a British bomber, how are your modelling skills? 'Zvezda' do a Bristol Blenheim kit for around £3. It has only about 10 - 12 parts! - "Entoyment" may have that in stock, too.

Any other questions, ask away!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Hi guys thanks for the tips.

Modelling skills not bad, I was thinking of trying to get some 3rd party planes but wondering how to make bases for specific planes.

I'd like to build up Battle of Britain planes initially, if my sons interest continues then some Pacific theatre stuff would be fun. I like the custom made ships in the files section, could be interesting doing scenarios for that later.

I'll check that store out in Poole (I'll look for a webstore)

Quote Originally Posted by Talos View Post
    Hi guys thanks for the tips.

Modelling skills not bad, I was thinking of trying to get some 3rd party planes but wondering how to make bases for specific planes.

I'd like to build up Battle of Britain planes initially, if my sons interest continues then some Pacific theatre stuff would be fun. I like the custom made ships in the files section, could be interesting doing scenarios for that later.

I'll check that store out in Poole (I'll look for a webstore)
    Welcome to the 'drome!

Try these: Aerodrome Accessories.com - Basic Flight Stand

Or these: Aerodrome Accessories.com - Ace Flight Stand
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Thanks for the welcome! Those are very cool thanks. I'll get some Gimble magnets at some point too.

Welcome to the Aerodrome Mark. You're not late as this is an endless party.

Soon there will be new BoB bombers for the Germans, Do 17s and Ju 88s. These will be followed by a British Blenheim and an Italian but don't hold your breath. There are Stukas and Hurricanes available.

Welcome to the 'Drome!

Welcome, Mark & son, from Portland, Oregon.

Hi Mark, welcome from Essex.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Good to see you touched down at the Drome OK. Mark.
    You may also look at Amazon and E-Bay. They are often pricey but if you keep checking you will often spot the odd aircraft at a good price.
    The bombers are due out in late Spring, meantime I would do as Tim suggests and have a look at 'Zvezda' Mind that you check the scale as it does vary a bit. They are super kits and have all decals with them. I have done a couple them for my Malta campaign.
    There are also a few Ares Heinkels about in winter camo if you don't mind a repaint.
    For just two of you gaming you will not need more than a couple of these, as they take a bit of shooting down.

Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Hello Mark. I'm also a recent recruit to WoG WWII. I pick up Ares models and accessories where I can. I've also found some third-party sources:

https://litko.net/search?type=produc...+flight+stands

Happy landings!

Welcome to the drome from lincolnshire

(Welcoming head bobs) from the lizard here in the 'States.

Hi there Mark, hope you are liking the Aerodrome thus far...

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Welcome to the Aerodrome from here near Norwich, to you and your son, Mark.

Welcome to the Aerodrome, Mark! See you in the skies!

welcome to the drome Mark!!!! id recommend getting all the minis you can get your hands on lol! blood red skies is another source of 1/200 minis convertible to wog.

A bit late I know, but welcome to you, from me in a rather wet and windy Bristol

Greeting indeed, new players are always made welcome here and it's great to add to the mix.
    Cheers

Also a bit late on this one, but welcome from Devon Mark

Welcome to the forum Mark.. I play both first & Second world war versions and really enjoy both, my son also likes playing so am sure you'll have endless fun.. One tip is to grab the models when you can while they are in stock... You never know when you'd like to play it..!

Thanks,Chris

Hi all, thanks for the warm welcome! I've printed some of the card packets to organise our card sets, very cool. Ordered a Beaufighter and a Stuka to go with our 3 each of 109s and Spitfires.

Have played through 4 games on basic rules, really good fun. Even took it round a friends house for a couple of games. Although great fun we did start to feel the effects of Gin coctails hampered our card and model placement which caused a few laughs.

Will play with standard rules now that we know what we are doing.

Thanks for the suggestions guys really appreciated!

Hi Mark.
    You have the three main ingredients for an enjoyable time there.
    You can't beat a game of Wings, with good friends and a G&t or two to make for a great evening.

Kyte.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Talos View Post
    Hi all, thanks for the warm welcome! I've printed some of the card packets to organise our card sets, very cool. Ordered a Beaufighter and a Stuka to go with our 3 each of 109s and Spitfires.

Have played through 4 games on basic rules, really good fun. Even took it round a friends house for a couple of games. Although great fun we did start to feel the effects of Gin coctails hampered our card and model placement which caused a few laughs.

Will play with standard rules now that we know what we are doing.

Thanks for the suggestions guys really appreciated!
    Rule #1 in all games is to "Have Fun" and that's exactly what this is about.. I've played a few games under the influence .. adds a different element to the game!

During our weekend sessions in Prague, we have a special rule: If your pilot is hit for the first time, drink a 0.5 l beer. It works better than an official rule and hou can literally feel the influence of slower reactions
    (ok, not applicable under 18)

Welcome to the 'Drome' Mark from up here in a very mirky West Yorkshire, near Pontefract. Glad to see that you have already discovered the file section. There is enough in there to keep you going for a very long time.
    Enjoy the game, fly safe and always watch your six!

Bienvenue from Brittany Mark. You can check out some of the French games shops as the € £ is good at the moment . Philibertnet.com for example and Ludikbazar.com

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Welcome, Gamesquest has some stock, just one ordered an SE5a from them myself, Gameslore is also worth a look.

Took the game over to relatives house at the weekend. Was well received. My son beat me again....he loves his Beaufighter!

Welcome to the Aerodrome, Mark.

Kids and the wife/girlfriend are tough to beat.

Similar Missions

1. Getting Started In Wings of Glory WW1 [UK player - late war]
    By Pilot Roy in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-14-2019, 08:10
  2. Central England New Wings of Glory player - Literally just a few days with no experience
    By peejaycee in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 04-09-2017, 14:14
  3. It Shouldn't Ever Happen To A Glory Player ...
    By Tonx in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 55
    Last Post: 05-24-2016, 15:22
  4. National: Central Kentucky Wings of Glory Player My Introduction
    By Gribble in forum US Wing
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 08-11-2015, 09:25