Ares Games

Thread: The Sopwith Strutter

Default The Sopwith Strutter

To quote Profile Publications "It was a rather undistinguished little aeroplane" Perhaps famous during the conflict as being the first to have been built in much larger numbers abroad than in it's country of origin. In our scenario it is just another two seater nosing around the front where in our opinion it had no right to be. Mark and I determined to shoot this impudent intruder (piloted by Windy Jack) down in our well tried and tested Fokker E.III's.

Marc closed in on the right and I on the left so there would be no escape for this enemy. Surprisingly he did not run but instead attacked my green Fokker most vigorously using his Sharp Eye skill card as well to inflict maximum damage!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	One.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	94.8 KB 
ID:	282141

Name:	Two.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	89.9 KB 
ID:	282142

Name:	Three.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	76.0 KB 
ID:	282143

Our ferocious Frenchman now turns his attention to my Wingman Mark. Perhaps it is Mark who should be running for home?

Name:	Four.jpg 
Size:	38.4 KB 
ID:	282144

Name:	Five.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	99.6 KB 
ID:	282145

Name:	Six.jpg 
Size:	66.7 KB 
ID:	282146

In just a few minutes our easy conquest turned into a nightmare where the two seater out flew and outgunned us.
    Perhaps this plane set the tone for a much more prolific and successful newer model - the Bristol F2B.

A good game. Well done Windy Jack.

Classic mistake: underestimating your enemy!

Nice little fights.

Great to test the abilities of the planes.
    Voilą le soleil d'Austerlitz!

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
    To quote Profile Publications "It was a rather undistinguished little aeroplane" Perhaps famous during the conflict as being the first to have been built in much larger numbers abroad than in it's country of origin...
    Probably more famous for being the first British production machine with a synchronised forward firing machine gun wasn't it ?
    Think you did yourselves in - I didn't think the French had 'Strutters while the eindeckers were about - you could have been using Albatros D.III's !
    Still a great scrap though.

"He is wise who watches"

Let's hear it for the Strutter, hip hip hooray

Strutting it's stuff, all right!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Yes, dont under estimate the good old strutter, nice little sting in its tail. I like using them.
    Nice scenario for a little used plane, well done

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Probably more famous for being the first British production machine with a synchronised forward firing machine gun wasn't it ?
    Think you did yourselves in - I didn't think the French had 'Strutters while the eindeckers were about - you could have been using Albatros D.III's !
    Still a great scrap though.
    You are quite right. The French didn't have Strutters until 1917 by which time they were out-classed by newer aircraft.
    Even though my Strutter had French markings, I was flying it as British when it first came out. It proved a challenge for the Eindekkers in real life and in our scenario.
    (I bought the Strutter as a souvenir of CanCon and this was its first flight.)

Yep, I like the 1 1/2 Strutter too. RFC first received them when the Admiralty handed over some to 70 Squadron on 30th July 1916 (Somme) and these were equipped with the Scarff No2 Ring mounting for the observer's Vickers gun - a nice sting in the tail indeed. At that time it was also up against the Halberstadt DII, Fokker DI and DII, the new Albatros DI (in small numbers) and of course the LFG Roland CII et al. Plenty of game opportunities there (Info sourced from the "War in the Air ..... Volume two)

Thanks for sharing Gary

Similar Missions

1. WGF Sopwith 1 1/2 Strutter Card ?
    By gully_raker in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-07-2015, 16:41
  2. Sopwith 1 1/2 Strutter
    By Flying Helmut in forum Metal and Resin Models
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 03-09-2014, 13:04
  3. Sopwith 1 1/2 Strutter
    By berthier in forum Shapeways Models