Ares Games
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Fire in the Skies 2020: Battle of Britain Campaign Officers Mess

Going to do the Coastal airfields attack scenario as I still have the prints for the buildings from 4 yrs ago but adding JU 88s to the mix

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Users Country Flag

Name
    Marek
    Sorties Flown

Providing statistics of my sqn landing what if roolls for feedback
    Of course I do not mean to make Neil rewriting all books

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ldg roll.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	95.3 KB 
ID:	285942
    Last edited by gutland; 04-22-2020 at 07:55. Reason: put data to picture (could not make nice table)

Campaign is picking up pace, we know have 17 AAR's posted by 7 players.

Neil
    See you on the Dark Side......

Quote Originally Posted by Future Pilot View Post
    I have three stukas, but two of them are wings of war ones with Italian colours, is it aright if i pretend that they are German?
    Could be Italian, but I can't quite remember the time frame in which they joined in with the German attacks on the channel coast. i only remember it being said that they suffered badly from the cold conditions so it may not have been until the winter.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Found it.

The Corpo Aereo Italiano (literally, "Italian Air Corps"), or CAI, was an expeditionary force from the Italian Regia Aeronautica ("Aviation Organization") that participated in the Battle of Britain and the Blitz during the final months of 1940 during World War II.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corpo_Aereo_Italiano

Users Country Flag

Name
    Marek
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post

Neil

I have to thank you once again for motivating us to new "heroic deeds" ( I mean new planes painted or crapycanes corrected , buying and putting on new decals for No. 310 sqn or otherwise improve our fleets, last but not least to entertain ourselves )

As well we all can commemorate real deads done back in the time 80 years ago..

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post

Neil
    Sorry it took so long for me to start but now the ball is rolling. I hope to get in at least a couple missions a month.

Neil, thanks again for re-starting the FitS campaign. As Marek said, great inspiration to get new planes painted up and on the table. I finally got all my Spitfires and Hurricanes decalled because of this. Hmmm, which planes to paint next?

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Could be Italian, but I can't quite remember the time frame in which they joined in with the German attacks on the channel coast. i only remember it being said that they suffered badly from the cold conditions so it may not have been until the winter.
    Rob.
    Thanks!

All my twin engined stuff (German) and a few Stukas are all in Mediterranean Colours for Malta. I aint repainting them and will use them for what they are.

Neil

Quote Originally Posted by Future Pilot View Post
    I have three stukas, but two of them are wings of war ones with Italian colours, is it aright if i pretend that they are German?

Just flew mission D-1. That was fast and furious.

Neil

Users Country Flag

Name
    Marek
    Sorties Flown

Mediteranean cammo: I use one Bf-110 in sand color in the campaign as well.

The truth is how ever that for last Dover raid I did not include my second He-111 which has eastern front winter cammo. As I was able to use other combo of bombers..

And must say that random autopilot has proven himself very cunny . I was SO embarrassed for initial phase as first wave solo He 111 maneuvered that well (or I flew Hurricanes so bad ), that first shot fired was AA fire and rear gunz from 3rd wave Do-17 . More in rep
    Last edited by gutland; 04-22-2020 at 12:18. Reason: spelling

Who wrote tjhat bloody scenario 2 Bologne?

Oh, it was me!

Damnation Stuka's are meant to be easy kills!

If anyone would like to add their own scenarios, marked BRF, then please do so but indicate which section they belong to, ie Adlerangriff, etc.

Neil

I have three stukas, but two of them are wings of war ones with Italian colours, is it aright if i pretend that they are German ?
    Rob.
    From an historical point of view, the Corpo Aereo Italiano that participated in the Battle of Britain in 1940 didn’t use Junkers Ju.87 Stuka, but the following planes :
    fighters Fiat Cr.42 and Fiat G.50 - bomber Breda Br.20 - transport Caproni Ca.133 and CANT Z.1007

The Junkers Ju.87 Stuka Regia Aeronautica (Wings of War Sugaroni model) was used in the Mediterranean front.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junkers_Ju_87 (chapter : North Africa and the Mediterranean) :

The Regia Aeronautica was equipped for a while with the Stukas. In 1939, the Italian government asked the RLM to supply 100 Ju 87s. Italian pilots were sent to Graz in Austria to be trained for dive-bombing aircraft. In the spring of 1940, between 72 and 108 Ju 87 B-1s, some of them ex-Luftwaffe aircraft, were delivered to 96° Gruppo Bombardamento a Tuffo. The Italian Stuka, renamed Picchiatello, was in turn assigned to Gruppi 97°, 101° and 102°. The Picchiatelli were used against Malta, Allied convoys in Mediterranean and in North Africa (where they took part in conquering Tobruk). They were used by the Regia Aeronautica up to 1942.
    Some of the Picchiatelli saw action in the opening phase of the Italian invasion of Greece in October 1940. Their numbers were low and ineffective in comparison to German operations. The Italian forces were quickly pushed back. By early 1941, the Greeks had pushed into Italian-occupied Albania. Once again, Hitler decided to send military aid to his ally. Before the Luftwaffe could intervene, the Italian Ju 87s achieved some successes. 97 Gruppo (Group) and its 239 Squadriglia (Squadron) sinking the Hellenic Navy freighter Susanah off Corfu on 4 April 1941 while the torpedo boat Proussa was sunk later in the day. On 21 April the Greek freighter Ioanna was sunk and they accounted for the British tanker Hekla off Tobruk on 25 May and then the Royal Australian Navy destroyer Waterhen on 20 June. The British gunboat Cricket and supply submarine Cachalot became victims. The former was crippled and later sunk by Italian warships.
    Last edited by monse; 04-27-2020 at 06:17.

Thanks for clarifying that Monse.
    Rob.

Does anyone have a link to some merchant ship target cards?

edit: disregard, I found them

Remember this is your campaign and if you want to add in Italian aircraft then do so. They had aircraft in the BoB, who is to say in yours that Stukas or whatever weren't employed.

Neil

Rob.

Got my scenario set up, now just have to find a time to play it.

Think I'm all caught up with Teatickets D-1 scenario results now on the spreadsheet.

Neil

Users Country Flag

Name
    Marek
    Sorties Flown

I Flew first Adlertag Air Raid last week and am happy not posessing more than 2 He 111 . Their defensive fire was quite deadly even when only two
    Runway was full of craters, two parking acft destroyed.. War is hell.
    Stukas did relatively nothing in contrary.

A long time with no action ...

Hoping to rectify that soon:
    Looking at my next mission Operation Dynamo Part One - That inferno on May 23 was Boulogne and printing off target cards.I am confused as to why the Destroyer HMS Keith has only 13 Hull points, while MV Glenorchy has 90 and MV Port Chalmers has 85
    I would have thought it would be harder to sink a destroyer than a transport or cargo ship.

What am I missing?

Users Country Flag

Name
    Marek
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    A long time with no action ...

Hoping to rectify that soon:
    Looking at my next mission Operation Dynamo Part One - That inferno on May 23 was Boulogne and printing off target cards.I am confused as to why the Destroyer HMS Keith has only 13 Hull points, while MV Glenorchy has 90 and MV Port Chalmers has 85
    I would have thought it would be harder to sink a destroyer than a transport or cargo ship.

What am I missing?

Owing AAR more than month , work harder in real life .

Hull pts: HMS Keith vs MV Glenorchy
    I was surprised as well. But took the orders .
    If I understood well background of hull pts made according "Coastal Warfare Rulez" doc, they are based on ship tonnage solely.
    Full weight tonnage / 100

So for Glenorchy 90 seems correct to correspond to almost 9000 t of the ship. MV Glenorchy data
    In case of HMS Keith I have found 1400 t and deep load 1800 t here. So the card value is not far off, but maybe rised to 18 .

This however does not change it much. Anyhow, to hit larger target (i.e. cargo ship) is easier than smaller destroyer. The question is what damage they withstand. To incorporate some "reduction factor" for cargo ships, compared to Warships? (Due to structure?)

Users Country Flag

Name
    Marek
    Sorties Flown

Sharing a shot of Airfield in havoc from last mission

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D7-18CB.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	58.8 KB 
ID:	288801

from which I owe AAR ..

Looking forward to reading your next AAR, Marek.
    Thanks for the input on the target ships.

I've been super busy with school, so I've been unable to do my AAR, I'll try to do it once I'm less busy though.

Now I'm back at work full time my playing time has been cut to practically zero.

I will play more but with the beauty of the campaign there is no rush.

Neil

Glad to hear you are back at work Neil.
    Also that we are in no rush.
    I have one scenario done for ages and no time to get it posted yet.
    Rob.

I think I'm going to have to drop out of this campaign, as I've been busy with school all summer, and will continue to be busy for the rest of the year.

Sorry to hear the news Daniel. There is no time constraints on this campaign. Drop in and out whenever you like.

On better news, my hours have been cut back to a 3 day week so I am anticipating more gaming/painting time. Yahoo.

Neil

All players now have editing rights on the campaign roster sheet.

Please fill in as you play your games.

Neil

Thanks Neil. I do hope we can get this moving again. I've painted up a French Airforce and am working on some Dutch. I'll be hanging around the continent a bit before hitting the channel and proper BoB.

I have actually got a scenario completed and it has been lying dormant since last summer. I will try and get it posted soon.
    Rob.

Nice one Neil, got to get back on the horse for this campaign after watching BoB yesterday on the tele.

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Just spotted this upcoming publication from Ares, due out in October?
    May be of interest to anyone like me who has an interest in 303 Squadron.

https://www.aresgames.eu/portfolio/h...uadron-artbook

Rob.

Rob.
    Have mine coming with the Kickstarter

Rob.
    Thank you for the heads-up, Air Vice Marshal Sir!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

My pleasure Squadron Leader.
    Kyte.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Similar Missions

1. Fire in the Skies: Officers Mess
    By flash in forum Fire in the Skies
    Replies: 631
    Last Post: 02-12-2020, 02:15
  2. Fire in the Skies 2020: Battle of Britain Campaign
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum Fire in the Skies
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-11-2020, 15:53
  3. Fire in the Skies Campaign
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum Fire in the Skies