Ares Games
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fire in the Skies 2020: Battle of Britain Campaign Officers Mess

I am currently pasting together my campaign scenarios into a Word document.
    I have decided to start from the D-2 scenario, but omitting the Scapa one because it doesn't really fit the flow if using the same squadrons as we are.
    So I will have 7 scenarios to get through as Phase One (in which Doris gets her oats ..) up to the end of Kanalkampf.

I hope to start playing in the next week or two.
    WGS is pretty much new to me, so it will take me some time to accomplish, but I am really looking forward to the experience.
    Hopefully my Do-17s and Ju-88s will arrive soon.
    Last edited by Stumptonian; 03-08-2020 at 16:41.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Marek
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    First results are now posted on the spreadsheet. Could players please indicate what scenario they are playing please.

Marek you indicated D-2 for your first but the kanalkampf scenario with the Dorniers is scenario 4 (as close as I can fit it). If you are going to play scenario D-1, 1, 2 and 3 you cannot use the pilots from your 2nd AAR (Scenario 4) for D-1,1,2, or 3.

If you want the Dornier scenario to be D-1 could you indicate this please. The scenarios copied across from the original campaign follow specific dates and specific parts of the BoB campaign.
    Hi Neil,

I ment my second mission as using mission generator one. I did not like to rush on your mission ladder that quickly as I was not aware how it should be done in campaign. If you will turn the wheel between BoB epochs or so ..
    Now If I understand you let us total freedom? Never played such before, so asking for orders

Users Country Flag

Name
    Marek
    Sorties Flown

As for not overloading pilots I will simply rotate them in assigning into missions, which should allow them to have some rest..

Neil

Question regarding Battle of Britain Scenario 2: Operation Dynamo - “That inferno on May 23 was Boulogne”

There is 1 destroyer and 1 merchant ship (optional) at the Jetty.
    4. Destroyer/Merchant: Every maneuver card draw a B damage chit. These chits represent troop points.
    Destroyer/merchant can carry as many troop points as it has HP.

5. Winning and Losing: Any aircraft shot down -2
    Destroyer sunk -HP
    Merchant sunk -HP
    Each troop point on destroyer/merchant that is not sunk when the game ends +1 ends Side with most points wins.

What are the Hit Points for the ships?

I think I had these in the file section, HMS Knight definitely is, Ill try and find and post links.

https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/do...o=file&id=1792

and 2 merchant ships

https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/do...o=file&id=1813

N
    See you on the Dark Side......

With players playing at their own speed I think it will be easier to just post the results as and when they happen D-2 and D-1 were initially designed as a 'get into the swing of the campaign' before hitting the scenarios hard. It is up to individual players how they play the campaign, whether start to finish or just a specific part. NO rush, I just wanted to keep the WW2 section going.

Neil

Quote Originally Posted by gutland View Post
    Hi Neil,

I ment my second mission as using mission generator one. I did not like to rush on your mission ladder that quickly as I was not aware how it should be done in campaign. If you will turn the wheel between BoB epochs or so ..
    Now If I understand you let us total freedom? Never played such before, so asking for orders

I think I had these in the file section, HMS Knight definitely is, Ill try and find and post links.

https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/do...o=file&id=1792

and 2 merchant ships

https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/do...o=file&id=1813

N
    Thanks, Neil.
    Duly downloaded.

I'm thinking that I'll wait to do any missions till after my next batch of aircraft arrive. Hopefully they arrive soon

Reporting for duty, sir

Quote Originally Posted by Dan-Sam View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2120 (2120).jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	15.0 KB 
ID:	283497

Enlisted pilots of 312th Sqn, based at Duxford

S/Ldr Frank H. TYSON, E+S
    P/O Jan KLÁN
    P/O Jan LAŠKA
    F/Lt Ján AMBRUŠ, E
    P/O Jan ČERMÁK
    Sgt Josef KEPRT, R
    F/Lt Josef DUDA, E
    P/O Alois VAŠÁTKO
    P/O Tomáš KRUML
    F/Lt Alois HLOBIL, E
    P/O Tomáš VYBÍRAL
    Sgt Jan TRUHLÁŘ, R

Squadron is equipped by Hawker Hurricanes Mk.I.

Looking at the squadron sheets I wonder why Marek's pilots did not gain experience like Dan-Sam's did.

Most probably because I haven't fully caught up with all the stuff yet.

It's in hand.

Neil

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    Looking at the squadron sheets I wonder why Marek's pilots did not gain experience like Dan-Sam's did.

11 players now signed up. Looking forward to the AAR 's.

A busy weekend this weekend with Paul (Tikkifriend) and Mary staying over from France. I'll catch up on spreadsheet admin today.

Neil

Been to club and retrieved my mats. Can start flying again from Monday, yahoo.

Hi all, nice to see AAR's coming in but would players please open a separate thread for each AAR.

I've missed 2 AAR's as they've been bundled in with a general thread. Also it keeps everything relevant to that AAR in 1 place.

Cheers in advance.

Neil

I'm thunking then of adding in a special rule, which you may use or ignore, for pilots flying multiple missions.

1. For each consecutive mission flown by a single pilot add 1 exhaustion point.
    2. Start of each new mission role 2d6.
    3. As long as the roll is greater than the exhaustion level then there is no effect on the pilots abilities.
    4. If the roll is greater than the current exhaustion level for every mission flown then:
    1st mission = When firing draw 1 or 2 extra counters when firing and use the lowest totals for causing damage
    2nd mission = As above plus no difficult maneuvers
    3rd mission = As above plus draw an additional A damage counter when this pilot takes any damage
    4th mission = As above but roll for landing with -2 to roll
    5th mission = As 1st to 3rd plus any special damage and the pilot bails out
    I was thinking about this rule, and I just wanted to say, that the British are the ones who have to have this rule not the Germans. Because the Germans were able to know their flying schedule and when they were going to fly. While the British had to wait until the Germans were sighted to get to their planes.

To ballance that out we could add the rule that German pilots who bail out over Britain or just off the coast never got home.

Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Ill leave it up too individual players to add in these optional rules or amend to suit their own squadron story.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    To ballance that out we could add the rule that German pilots who bail out over Britain or just off the coast never got home.

Rob.
    This is going to be tough on us Germans when we fly over or near Britain. Undoubtedly we will lose a plane or two each mission. Soon we'll only have rookie pilots left.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Marek
    Sorties Flown

I have just flown next mission. It was tough. Stopped German advance , though I do not know how it ends when calculate scenario points (Last scenario of Nuisance raids). Nevertheless, both bombers had to emergency drop their loads. I then start divert them back home (saw no point of keeping bombers advancing when empty and damaged) one of them burnt luckily while second escaped nearly killed. All shots, but 1 were done by patrole commander who had to however leave combat to save his plane with 1 hitpoint left Rookie pilot just fought, couple times missed chance by a little and theeeen at very end he scored "1" and left accidentally the area (hunted bomber off board

Was fun, but tough. Both enemy fighters were intact.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    This is going to be tough on us Germans when we fly over or near Britain. Undoubtedly we will lose a plane or two each mission. Soon we'll only have rookie pilots left.
    It was Pete it was.

Rob.

This is a campaign for fun and enjoying tha game. Nothing wrong with posting in a non Rookie, say if you rolled 2 dice and it was a double 6 or double 1.

I leave details up to you. Too many vet and Aces posted in would unbalance the game somewhat.

Fly safe, blue skies and watch your 6.

Neil

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    It was Pete it was.

Rob.
    Especially now with flight restrictions over the Uk due to Covid 19

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

That said, did you manage to get your flight back to France O.K. Paul?
    Rob.

Nope cancelled twice.finaly got to London yesterday and on the Eurostar this morning. Now on the TGV to Rennes and then car home. A grand day out. ,

No Wensleydale cheese?

Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post
    Nope cancelled twice.finaly got to London yesterday and on the Eurostar this morning. Now on the TGV to Rennes and then car home. A grand day out. ,
    Good to hear you made it at last Paul. Lock down in your farm house for the duration, and Eileen says she hopes Mary has plenty of craft projects to keep her going.

Stay safe both of you.
    Rob.

Sadly donated the cheese to my French son in law, it was his birthday
    it survived an epic journey ( I hope )

Quick campaign update:

1. Spreadsheet now up to date.
    2. Scenario links now posted in BRF section.

Quick campaign update as of today:

1. Spreadsheet now up to date.
    2. Scenario links now posted in BRF section.

Question

Sir, reporting a new AAR: Scenario D-1: First Offensive Air Operations (by Dan-Sam)

For next missions:
    Unfortunately, I have only one Hurricane (and don't want to buy a new one because I do not like the light colour wing edges). Thinking about permanent replacing of one Hurricane Mk.I with Le Mesurier's Spitfire Mk.I in recon camo for French Battlefields. Hurricane Mk.I has 144 points and non-upgraded WoW SPitfire Mk.I has 158 points.
    What community of campaign piltos thinks about it? Yes, I am pointing to you, German Eagles.

Dan - I've a spare "Bader" 'Nexus' Hurricane if you want it...………...
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

You devil... Give me some time, I need to think about reason why...hell, yes!

Just read D-1 Dan. Superb AAR. Just adjust scenarios to what you have. And remember there is no rush.

Neil

You devil... Give me some time, I need to think about reason why...hell, yes!
    PM sent.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Sir, reporting a new AAR: Scenario D-1: First Offensive Air Operations (by Dan-Sam)

For next missions:
    Unfortunately, I have only one Hurricane (and don't want to buy a new one because I do not like the light colour wing edges).
    The edges are easily touched up, Dan-Sam.
    Took me less than an hour to do my 8.
    (And I'm no modeler like others on this site)

Users Country Flag

Name
    Marek
    Sorties Flown

I agree. I made 3rd Hurricane "ready" for flying (edges and cabine) 2 days ago. Did not wanna dissapoint these liking my others in rports. Just marking numbers missing (waiting for shipment from Miscminis) as I want them now No 310 Sqn . So Again thanks Neil for motivation

And as a bonus I painted cabines of Jerries for next mission as well .. (3x Bf-109 and 1 Ju-87, one was already finished from last campaign..)

I flew it today, one of my pilots went swimming after first round of shooting , one close range from Bf-109, nasty 8,5,4 .. he gave back 8,0 but.. (more in rep..)

I've included a 2nd page to the spreadsheet for the Fallen and Missing.

Neil

I've included a 2nd page to the spreadsheet for the Fallen and Missing.

Neil
    Neil

Might I suggest you show the number of missions flown and total kills for the Fallen.
    Maybe just move their grid and add the date that you are showing.

Will do Pete

OK, I think I've caught up with the AAR's, linked to the BRF section too, and added the Kills and Missions total to the fallen/missing sheet.

Cheers for keeping me on track chaps.

Blue skies, safe flying and watch your six.

Going to try and get a sortie off tonight.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Marek
    Sorties Flown

Hi Neil, God Speed to your pilots

Just note to stat table: No 310th Sqn has lost 2 planes already.

Ok, finally got a shipping notice for my Do17s and Ju88s! Time to get the ball rolling.
    Last edited by Teaticket; 04-04-2020 at 14:51.

Bad weather grounded all aircraft. Might be later if weather clears.

Neil, I noted you have a reserve post for Butcher's Tally. Is this format (a single Butcher's post) prefered for you?

Normally when I post my AAr's I put the report in one post and the results (Butchers Tally) and post AAR summary in another. Just my personal preference.

It also keeps an unbroken line of posts to deal with the AAR and Post AAR stuff.

Neil
    Last edited by Lt. S.Kafloc; 04-04-2020 at 17:08.

Sorted.

Quote Originally Posted by gutland View Post
    Hi Neil, God Speed to your pilots

Just note to stat table: No 310th Sqn has lost 2 planes already.

Question

Gentlemen, especially you, who are playing for Luftwaffe in this campaign, I want to ask you about your opinion.

Situation: I played Scenario 2: Operation Dynamo - “That inferno on May 23 was Boulogne” yesterday (by the way, I really like the system of onbording evacuated troops on ships) and I had to skip the mission before it's end due to family reasons (interesting, late evenings are not guaranteed quite time anymore...). The problem is that I was heavily loosing [Stukas were sucessfully and completely bomb smaller merchant ship and partialy (>50%) destroyer]. Because I played on our dining table it was impossible to left the game through day(s) and finish it later. Now I do not know what to do. I see tree possible options:
    1. Freeze it in the final unfinished move and mark it as lost for RAF.
    2. Repeat the mission completely with some handicaps (less HP for ships, pre-damaged defending Hurricanes etc.)
    3. Repeat it as it never happened.

What do you think and suggest?

By the way, I defined 30 Hp for merchant ship and 50 for destroyer. Full bomb hit is for 25, partly hit os for 13. Four Stukas in play (so destroyer must be hit twice fully, but merchant ship is OK just once fully and once partialy). Any feedback?

Dan, tough choices! If you think you would enjoy finishing it then I'd go that route but if it would not be any fun to complete as it is a lost cause, I'd probably write it up as is. Otherwise I'd do a complete fresh re-start if you have the time.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Marek
    Sorties Flown

I agree with Peter, either from scratch or write the story about what happenned (heavy storm came.. . No1 : stay calm and keep enjoying

/have also some notes to Scn, but have to go on board now, will write it after landing..

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. Fire in the Skies: Officers Mess
    By flash in forum Fire in the Skies
    Replies: 631
    Last Post: 02-12-2020, 02:15
  2. Fire in the Skies 2020: Battle of Britain Campaign
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum Fire in the Skies
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-11-2020, 15:53
  3. Fire in the Skies Campaign
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum Fire in the Skies