Ares Games
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mess of The Cocky Young Men !

I've no idea where the time goes, but it certainly does go. It looks as if its 2weeks since I last checked in, maybe longer and I came specifically to get the details of the next game, December's I believe. The table is finally clear and it will be chocks away this evening.

Dave I just picked up your message about having a break, I'm hapy with whatever the majority would like to do, I agree with Pete it's much better when we are all flying the same mission at roughly the same time and I know from experience once you are behind it becomes a chore to catch up and sucks the enjoyment out of it, at least it did for me.

Barry it sounds like your flooding must have been heartbreaking, I hope you managed to recover everything without too much damage. Wet books are a bugger to get straight afterwards.

Dan welcome to the campaign, I'm looking forward to reading your AAR's, it will be nice to see a new face around the mess.

I'm a bit late for the ho ho ho and merry christmas but I hope you all have a happy new year.

Take care

Hopefully I fly like an Eagle and not a Turkey!!!!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by camelbeagle View Post
    Good one Dan!

Welcome to the OTT fun.

I think with OTT you'll find that sometimes like an Eagle and sometimes like a Turkey.

Just a heads up but March marks the 9th year this OTT campaign has been running on the Forum.

Some of us are still ther despite being shot down , captured or killed .

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Welcome to a great Campaign . Pity you chose the loosing side

Well, well. So much has happened while I've been awol. First and foremost, seasons greetings to all and especially a Happy and successful New Year.

Welcome Dan A very much needed addition to the Eagles nest I look forward to reading your AARs, although I have a mass of others to catch up with too, once I've finally got myself into gear to play some more myself.

Barry - hope your move is going well and that you are settling in to your new home OK.

I've no idea where the time goes, but it certainly does go.
    I know that feeling John

These are strange times indeed, as was written on about 80% of the Xmas cards we received this year. Like others, we have a grandchild we've only met on Skype so far. Travel to Vancouver is still out of the question and the little lad has already taken his first steps. Lets hope that changes with the arrival of a vaccine, but we think we are unlikely to get to meet him face to face until at least next autumn ( Sorry "Fall" )

Uncle - a break until March would be very welcome indeed from a personal point of view, but I am prepared to post the final mission should you wish me to. Still making adjustments, but it will be ready by the end of this month or whenever next you want it put up.

Meanwhile, take care all, wherever you be

Quote Originally Posted by mikeemagnus View Post

... Travel to Vancouver is still out of the question ...
    Mike - be sure to let me know when you plan your trip.
    I'd love to drive up and meet you in person.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeemagnus View Post
    ...Uncle - a break until March would be very welcome indeed from a personal point of view, but I am prepared to post the final mission should you wish me to. Still making adjustments, but it will be ready by the end of this month or whenever next you want it put up.
    Thanks Mike - as we're planning to stop a while I have re-nagged the list - so we'll be looking for the final mission to be beginning April 1st...
    The RAF's 103rd anniversary !

"He is wise who watches"

Mike - be sure to let me know when you plan your trip.
    I'd love to drive up and meet you in person.
    Certainly shall Pete. It really would be a treat to meet up

as we're planning to stop a while I have re-nagged the list - so we'll be looking for the final mission to be beginning April 1st...
    The RAF's 103rd anniversary !
    Cheers Dave - (Mike heaves a sigh of relief)

Not wanting to continuing discussing OTT non-Fokker D.VII aeroplanes on the Fokker D.VII painting showcase thread, I've switched over here. Hi, Pete!

I have 2 Sopwith Pups and have ordered 4 more for a possible next OTT campaign which probably won't be for awhile but I'll need the time to do those up and possibly add to the Sopwith Tripes (just the 3 Ares ones), but I have some questions about Nieuport 17 in the RNAS. Does anyone know when the RNAS started to use the Nieuport 17? Wings of Linen shows the Nieuport 17bis with the RNAS from January 1917 but I was wondering about the earlier 17 variant. Also, the Reduced Air Factory blurb says some RNAS Nieuport 17bis were equipped with both a Lewis and Vickers. Was that true for the Nieuport 17 or did the RNAS follow the RFC practice.

My understanding is that the RFC used mostly the gun on top of the wing and not the synchronized gun on the fuselage. I could be completely wrong here.

On the other point. What planes are we looking at for the next campaign. I only have shapeways pups and triplanes so I need to start working now if I hope to get them done. Also, for the German side. What planes could be used.

My understanding is that the RFC used mostly the gun on top of the wing and not the synchronized gun on the fuselage. I could be completely wrong here.

On the other point. What planes are we looking at for the next campaign. I only have shapeways pups and triplanes so I need to start working now if I hope to get them done. Also, for the German side. What planes could be used.
    That's my understanding of the RFC as well, Dan, but it's less clear for the RNAS. My OTT squadron is RNAS. It's mostly pups and then triplanes. They had a squadron of Nieuport 17bis which, in the Reduced Air Factory write up says, "This version of the Nieuport 17bis is armed with both Vickers and Lewis on a Foster mount, as were some RNAS planes." According to my Osprey, "Royal Naval Air Service Pilot 1914-18", book it says the Nieuport 17bis entered service in November 1917 and in total some 80 Nieuport 17bis were used.
    The Wings of Linen shows in service Q1 1917, so probably on a few around in late 1916.

Mostly I was wondering if the RNAS used the basic Nieuport 17. The Osprey doesn't mention it being in use. David Hobbs book, The Royal Navy's Air Service in the Great War, doesn't ever give the type of Nieuport - just, for example, "Nieuport scout". The only reason I'm asking is that I have Nieuport 17 models but not Nieuport 17bis. I suppose I could just use the 17 model and call it a 17bis. Ordering Shapeways 17bis models is an option but that's more $$$$.

It's far from decided when a follow on campaign would happen, in real time, or if it would happen at all - never mind when it would be situated historically. I'd expect it would be end of 1916 to early 1917, so Albatros DIII for the Germans.

if that's a possible time line, I'll have to get in early. Got Albatros DIII and Spad VII, so could go either side as needed.

I think the issue with the N.17 in British service was the interrupter gear wasn't regarded as reliable so Vickers was not fitted but the over-wing Lewis was (The French had a reliable interrupter so used the Vickers and did sometimes fit both). Both RFC & RNAS had them - 1, 3 and 4 Wings of the Royal Naval Air Service operated the 17 and the 17bis if Wiki is to be believed. More research required to be sure I think but they seemed to fly all types together - 17, 17bis, 24's etc so I wouldn't worry about subs.

Next campaign will start after this one finishes real time after a catch up break perhaps. Should get us to the new year of 1917, then into the following few months. Here's the OTT aircraft list from previous campaigns:

October:
    *Spad VII: RFC: Oct16 - Jan18
    *Albatros D.II: Oct16
    Sopwith Pup: RNAS Oct16 - Apr17; RFC Dec16 until Dec17

November:
    *RAF RE.8: Nov16 - two-seater - reconnaissance and bomber
    *Caproni Ca3: Heavy bomber. Intro dates vary from late 16 to early 17 for duration ?!

December:
    *Albatros D.III: Dec16 (Feb17 out of service Halb D.II & Alb D.II stand in)
    *Sopwith Triplane: RNAS Dec16 until Nov17

1917:

January:
    Armstrong Whitworth F.K.8: two-seater - reconnaissance, observation, ground-attack, day and night bombing.

February:
    Roland D.II: Feb17 - Jun17 ?

March:
    *Airco DH.4: Mar17
    *Rumpler C.IV: Mar17 ?

"He is wise who watches"

Thanks, Dave. That's helpful. I will get some Shapeways Sopwith Triplanes to go with the Ares ones I have and maybe a couple of Nieuport 17bis as well for early 1917. I notice that Daryl doesn't do the tripe but Decapod and Kampfflieger both do. Do people have a preference? The Kampfflieger's are twice the price of the Decapods. Are they worth it?

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowDragon View Post
    I notice that Daryl doesn't do the tripe but Decapod and Kampfflieger both do. Do people have a preference? The Kampfflieger's are twice the price of the Decapods. Are they worth it?
    No.
    They're very nice models, but so are the Decapod ones.
    Note that you can buy the Decapod Tripes in a multi-pack of 4, saving even more money.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    No.
    They're very nice models, but so are the Decapod ones.
    Note that you can buy the Decapod Tripes in a multi-pack of 4, saving even more money.
    Thanks, Tim. That's useful.

I'm going through Philip Jarrett's "The Royal Naval Air Service in the First World War: Aircraft and Events as Recorded in Official Documents", which has the disposition of aircraft on the 24 Feb 2017. Predominantly Pups, Triplanes and 1 1/2 Strutters. A lot more Nieuport 11 (or possibly Nieuport 21) than Nieuport 17 or 17bis. The disposition doesn't state which version of Nieuport just "Nieuport Single", engine HP (& manufacturer) and serial number. Most of the Nieuport 17 are in the Aegean.

For Dover Command:

1 Wing: 6 Triplanes, 5 Pups, 8 Strutter Type 9400, 6 Nieuport Single (80hp), 1 Nieuport 2-seater (80hp), 2 Nieuport 2-seater (110hp), 1 Farman F40

4 Wing: 6 Strutter Type 9700, 7 Short Bomber, 7 Nieuport Single (80hp), 1 Nieuport Single (130hp), 2 Nieuport 2-seater (80hp), 6 Nieuport 2-seater (110hp)

5 Wing: 13 Strutter Type 9400

1 Squadron (with 14 Wing RFC): 16 Triplanes

8 Squadron (with 22 Wing RFC): 20 Pups

Dunkirk Repair Station: 7 Triplanes, 10 Pups, 7 Strutter Type 9400, 5 Strutter Type 9700, 3 Nieuport Single (80hp), 1 Nieuport 2-seater (80hp), 6 Nieuport 2-seater (110hp), 3 Farman F40, 1 Dyott Fighter, 1 Avro Scout

Dover Naval Air Station: 15 Triplanes, 15 Pups, 2 Strutter Type 9400, 11 Strutter Type 9700, 3 Nieuport Singe (130hp), 2 Nieuport 2-seater (80hp), 12 Nieuport 2-seater (110hp), 4 Farman F40, 8 BE2C, 4 Short Bomber, 3 Avro Scout, 9 Bristol Scout, 5 JN4, 1 DH4, 1 Dyott Fighter, 9 Handley Page

3 Wing (Luxeuil): 1 Pup, 19 Strutter Type 9400, 73 Strutter Type 9700, 4 JN4, 1 Handley Page plus "in transit" 2 JN3, 4 Curtiss R2, 3 Handley Page, 1 Pup, 12 Strutter Type 9700 plus 5 Curtiss R2 "allocated"

Dover Seaplane Station (under Naval Air Stations, Abroad): 8 Short 830, 21 Short 184, 8 Sopwith Baby

I did not count airplanes "for deletion", Mediterranean units, homeland air stations, sea carriers, etc. just ones that would be involved on the Western Front

That adds up to 16 Nieuport Single (80hp - N11 or N21 - wiki says only 5 N21 in RNAS service), 4 Nieuport Single (130hp - N17bis), 51 Pups, 44 Triplanes

No mention I could find for 6 Squadron - I'll look tomorrow. It was equipped Nieuport 17bis.
    Last edited by ShadowDragon; 01-21-2021 at 19:54.

I'm not seeing anything on the N.17 with RNAS browsing the few books I have but the 17bis comes up. The listings you give seem to support this, using the hp given they seem to have quite the mix:
    Nieuport Single (80hp) N.11; N.21
    Nieuport 2-seater (80hp) N.10;
    Nieuport 2-seater (110hp) N.12;
    Nieuport Single (130hp) N.17bis

This link looks fun;
    https://www.rafmuseum.org.uk/blog/th...uport-fighter/
    Last edited by flash; 01-22-2021 at 04:16.

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    I'm not seeing anything on the N.17 with RNAS browsing the few books I have but the 17bis comes up. The listings you give seem to support this, using the hp given they seem to have quite the mix:
    Nieuport Single (80hp) N.11; N.21
    Nieuport 2-seater (80hp) N.10;
    Nieuport 2-seater (110hp) N.12;
    Nieuport Single (130hp) N.17bis

This link looks fun;
    https://www.rafmuseum.org.uk/blog/th...uport-fighter/
    The Nieuport 17 are with 2 Wing in the Aegean for the 24 Feb 1917 disposition report; although 2 Wing's report for the 24th has two sets of figures for 1 Jan and 17 Feb. Disposition:

2 Wing (Aegean) - 17 Feb 1917: 6 BE2C, 8 Bristol Scout, 23 Farman, 22 Nieuport Single (110hp), 1 Nieuport Single (80hp), 2 Short 166, 19 Strutter

East African Field Force (No. 7 Squadron) - ordered to return to 'England' 14 Dec 1916: 6 BE2C, 3 Voisin plus (in transit) 2 Caudron Tractor (80 hp)

Here's another useful link with RAF squadron histories (both RFC and RNAS):

https://www.rafweb.org/Menu.htm

From these histories it would appear that the squadrons not listed in the dispositions are included in the 1, 4 and 5 Wing dispositions as follows:

1 Wing (St. Pol)
    No. 2 Sqn (from B Sqn 1 Wing - equipped with Strutters)
    No. 3 Sqn (from C Sqn 1 Wing - equipped with Nieuports, Pups and Triplanes)

4 Wing (Petite Synthe)
    No. 6 Sqn (from A Sqn 4 Wing - equipped with Nieuports)
    No. 7 Sqn (from B Sqn 4 Wing - Short Bombers)

5 Wing (Coudekerke)
    No. 4 Sqn (from A Sqn 5 Wing - equipped with Strutters - converted to figther role in March 1917 with Pups)
    No. 5 Sqn (from B Sqn 5 Wing - equipped with Strutters

For reference No. 1 Sqn was renamed from A Sqn 1 Wing while No. 8 Sqn was formed at St. Pol with flights from 1, 4 and 5 Wings

Default D* Deck D8AI Chart - for Sopwith Pup

In case you chaps missed it I have posted a new D* Deck AI Chart in the solo rules for use with the Sopwith Pup - don't rush as it's in the mod Q..!
    Currently set the D deck by the unoff stats committee, which doesn't fit the bill, the D has one of it's sharp right turns made into a sharp left turn. This is sufficient to give the Pup what it needs & becomes the D* deck.

This is nothing new, it has been discussed and implemented by several forum members over the years.. all work is theirs, I'm just facilitating a solo chart.

Here's further reading on the subject, inc a version of the D* deck:
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...ith-Pup-Stats-
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...37-Sopwith-Pup

And as they're coming up soon I thought you chaps would like a heads up !

"He is wise who watches"

Already got my French guys in Pups .

Mine are still shapeways white!

Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post
    Already got my French guys in Pups .
    I didn't think the French flew Pups. I'd be curious to find out what escadrilles they were in. If not, then your pilots are trčs chanceux

In case you chaps missed it I have posted a new D* Deck AI Chart in the solo rules for use with the Sopwith Pup - don't rush as it's in the mod Q..!
    Currently set the D deck by the unoff stats committee, which doesn't fit the bill, the D has one of it's sharp right turns made into a sharp left turn. This is sufficient to give the Pup what it needs & becomes the D* deck.

This is nothing new, it has been discussed and implemented by several forum members over the years.. all work is theirs, I'm just facilitating a solo chart.

Here's further reading on the subject, inc a version of the D* deck:
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...ith-Pup-Stats-
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...37-Sopwith-Pup

And as they're coming up soon I thought you chaps would like a heads up !
    Thanks for doing that, Dave. I've got 2 valom pups done and I expect 2 kits (4 pups) in the mail this coming week. That should do it for the first part of a follow-on campaign. Just need to get 3 more Sopwith tripes - and I'm sure there's a discussion there on the manoeuvre decks!

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    I didn't think the French flew Pups. I'd be curious to find out what escadrilles they were in. If not, then your pilots are trčs chanceux
    Don't think they did, maybe Paul's crew are trialling them..?
    Bit previous though, 8 RNAS bring them over in October, the RFC get them to the front in December.
    Mind you he's used 'Strutters and they didn't have them until next year either !
    Either way, I look forward to seeing them in action over the trenches.

"He is wise who watches"

They are the Talvern flight, on secondment to the Bulldogs, but Brexit means they get to break the rules and fly what they like.
    Last edited by tikkifriend; 01-31-2021 at 14:06.

Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post
    They are the Talvern flight, on secondment to the Bulldogs, but Brexit means they get to break the rules and fly what they like.
    Yeah, they slipped a couple away while the Brits were lining up to be inoculated....

"He is wise who watches"

Yeah, they slipped a couple away while the Brits were lining up to be inoculated....
    Only to save the Bulldogs from a fate Worste than death.

Default Passing of Uncle

Very sad to see the new today of the passing of the actor Christopher Plummer, aged 91, who not only famously brought us Captain Von Trap in The Sound Of Music but also Captain Sinclair, aka "Uncle" in Aces High.
    He was a fine actor; may he rest in peace.

"He is wise who watches"

Sad...super sad! I loved a lot of the productions that we was in.

Sad day for sure. He was in many great productions. RIP. Will a new Uncle be assigned to the Bulldogs?
    Last edited by Teaticket; 02-06-2021 at 09:21.

Was saddened to hear about Mr. Plummer's passing yesterday, but totally forgot the fact that he was "Uncle".
    RIP

Looking over the ace skills, I'm wondering if the new 'Stuntman' skill would qualify for the +1 for a crash die roll modifier as it is a flying skill? It's listed as a technical skill but it feels like a flying skill.

Sad day for sure. He was in many great productions. RIP. ...
    I can still quote verbatim his 'Wellington' in the film "Waterloo" - top performance!
    I also enjoyed his 'Sir Charles Litton' aka "The Phantom" in "The Return of the Pink Panther"

A bit more tongue-in-cheek, the was also his Shakespeare-quoting Klingon General in "Star Trek VI - The Undiscovered Country"

He will be greatly missed.

R.I.P. sir.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    I can still quote verbatim his 'Wellington' in the film "Waterloo" - top performance!
    I'll probably get this wrong but....

"If my hair knew what my brain was thinking....I'd cut it all off".

Rod Steiger may not have been the perfect "French" Napoleon but as a youngish lad I liked that film

Dave's D8 AI Solo Chart D* v.2 is up and out of the mod Q for those interested.

"He is wise who watches"

Dave's D8 AI Solo Chart D* v.2 is up and out of the mod Q for those interested.
    Noticed it yesterday when trying to find something in the WGS section.

Now to get it entered into my Excel version.

Five days until we kick off the close of this campaign.

"He is wise who watches"

I am set to play Mission 11 on Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    I am set to play Mission 11 on Friday.
    I've played it - results were...Brutal !

"He is wise who watches"

Waiting to see the bloodbath in you AAR Flash!

Smile Here's Hoping!

With a bit of Luck I will be rid of my old lounge suite out of my garage this weekend which will allow me to set up my games table & fly some missions next week.
    Talk about withdrawal symptoms. I will be lucky if I remember how to play the game!

It's like riding a bike, Baz.
    No worries!

P.S. My bleary eyes first read lounge suite as lounge suits ....
    I pictured you on the disco dance floor

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    It's like riding a bike, Baz.
    No worries!

P.S. My bleary eyes first read lounge suite as lounge suits ....
    I pictured you on the disco dance floor
    G'day Pete! Long time since I was at a Disco.
    Sadly since I wrote my post above I got a text to say they cant pick up the lounge until next week! BUGGER!

I've played it - results were...Brutal !
    Me too, hoping for good dice rolls or the hospital will be full to overflowing, that is if any of them get back through the lines.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. OTT Cocky Young Men Campaign 1916
    By flash in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 299
    Last Post: 05-08-2021, 01:53
  2. Mess of The Daring Young Men !
    By flash in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 541
    Last Post: 02-21-2020, 02:29
  3. Get 'em When They're Young
    By Stumptonian in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 03-24-2017, 23:43
  4. What goes on in the mess, stays in the mess.......
    By Guntruck in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 08-23-2013, 02:34
  5. 33 yrs old... I mean young lol
    By HTRAINo in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 04-02-2013, 21:36