Ares Games
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mess of The Cocky Young Men !

Yeah, the honey do list goes on too.
    Just emerging from a decorating spree, also added a pond to the garden, decorative features, making trips to nurseries, assisting my daughter move out into her own house & dealing with her garden/decorating needs have cramped my other solo plans a bit too...!

"He is wise who watches"

Have at it !

"He is wise who watches"

Not sure if this is appropriate. I know the covid situation has been dire, and the water usage has rocketed since lockdown. However, my local water authority, South West Water, has sent around a pleading advert to try and keep our usage to a minimum and to conserve it where possible. Their slogan is :

"LOVE YOUR BUTT"
    Not sure what to think of that one

At least they haven't encouraged you to clear your pipes and fill your butt with rainwater...

"He is wise who watches"

At least they haven't encouraged you to clear your pipes and fill your butt with rainwater...

Default New Fr Deck Chart

For those interested, yesterday I created a new D8 chart - this one's for the Fr deck and is currently in the moderation queue awaiting approval.
    That deck has so many steep moves it may require some I in the AI at times as many selections start or end on a steep. Not surprising as in addition to the stall cards, the sharp turns, broad side slips, and one sideslip each way are also steep. To avoid consecutive steeps all you can do is either re-roll or replace a steep with whatever is best in the situation.
    If anyone gets the chance to use it PM me feedback if you find any faults/anomalies.

"He is wise who watches"

OK Dave - that's great and thanks for producing it - but, what's it for? I suppose I should know, but I haven't a clue, so please enlighten me Then I shall play test it at the next available opportunity after it has been approved.

Now, then guys - I hope you are ready for July's BRF for CYM Mission 5? Well, ready or not, here it comes - just three more days Fingers crossed nothing disastrous happens with the upload. There will be just two or three days for you to come up with any queries about it, during which time I shall hover by the computer at regular intervals both day and night. Well, perhaps not the dead of night After that Yon and I are a way for a week and I shall have no access at all to the internet - well that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Correction - ok Dave, just seen your new D8 chart thread. All is clear - thanks

Re your D8 charts - I've now been using them for many months, throughout most of the OTT Bitter End campaign and all of the DYM and CYM missions done to date. I have experienced few problems, if any at all, that cannot be dealt with easily with a little attention to detail. I like them lots and found them better than the D6 version.
    The most obvious things to watch for are needing to ensure a "Straight" follows an "Immelman" turn and watching out for consecutive steep manoeuvers. But as I keep paper work on all of my solo movement, the issue is dealt with simply by notong on following paper work where "forced moves" or "illegal movesl" are to be completed/avoided. Same goes for jams etc. Just noted, in advance, on subsequent record sheets.

There are two other occassions when I have to be careful.
    1) When enemy aircraft are passing at right angles in either direction and the choice of "opening" or "closing" is difficult; and the same applies to aircraft which are on the line between two zones. But I just compare all the possibilities and choose whichever is most likely advantageous to the pilot moving, be that friend or foe Its worked so far.
    2)There was a time when I had a problem using the D8 charts with bombers. Using the "I" as suggested the problem is either dealt with by using a reduced movement deck and drawing those at random (ie not using any chart) or, sometimes, I revert to the old D6 bomber chart - "H Deck". Don't know what you feel about that!

Anyway, just confirming that I like the D8 charts a lot and am looking forward to the Fr when it arrives.

Cheers,

Mike

Thanks Mike, glad you enjoy them. There will always be some niggles or weird looking manoeuvres in certain situations - I more often play them out than not and am surprised when they work out !

Quote Originally Posted by mikeemagnus View Post
    The most obvious things to watch for are needing to ensure a "Straight" follows an "Immelman" turn and watching out for consecutive steep manoeuvres.
    Unfortunately to get the moves I wanted to create you do have to be the I in AI - the way you handle it is probably the best way; I often leave the steep card or Immel with the model to remind myself for the next turn. You can of course use the tokens provided by the game

There are two other occasions when I have to be careful.
    1) When enemy aircraft are passing at right angles in either direction and the choice of "opening" or "closing" is difficult; and the same applies to aircraft which are on the line between two zones. But I just compare all the possibilities and choose whichever is most likely advantageous to the pilot moving, be that friend or foe Its worked so far.
    If by the enemy passing at right angles you mean crossing your path then before they cross I'd say they are closing, anything else they are opening.
    If a machine is on the line between zones then you should be going for the one he's flying into. Sounds like you have a fair way of dealing with it though.

2)There was a time when I had a problem using the D8 charts with bombers. Using the "I" as suggested the problem is either dealt with by using a reduced movement deck and drawing those at random (ie not using any chart) or, sometimes, I revert to the old D6 bomber chart - "H Deck". Don't know what you feel about that!
    Bombers, and tandems come to that, are a little different when it comes to solo - plenty of scope for I in AI there.
    My thinking is they are mission focused, or, target oriented if you prefer. So, rather than chasing other planes they should be chasing their target, whatever their mission might be and once that has been achieved they should be heading for home.
    That may or may not make a difference to your games. I find they are mostly heading 12 o'clock when used like that !

"He is wise who watches"

Thanks for the heads up, Dave.
    Downloaded this morning.

Now to convert ....

Just realized it was the R(a) that I downloaded, not the Fr
    Must be still in quarantine.
    Last edited by Stumptonian; 06-27-2020 at 12:13. Reason: Correction

My thinking is they are mission focused, or, target oriented if you prefer. So, rather than chasing other planes they should be chasing their target, whatever their mission might be and once that has been achieved they should be heading for home.
    That may or may not make a difference to your games. I find they are mostly heading 12 o'clock when used like that !
    Yea, that makes sense. I do that too sometimes

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post

**************************snipped****************************************

Bombers, and tandems come to that, are a little different when it comes to solo - plenty of scope for I in AI there.
    That's what I do Dave. Head for the target & then its 12 O'Clock onwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    ...Just realized it was the R(a) that I downloaded, not the Fr. Must be still in quarantine.
    Yeah, takes a while sometimes, I've given Kyte a nudge to see if he can expedite matters.

"He is wise who watches"

All - Uncle is on leave for the next couple of weeks but will be maintaining a watching brief when he can - have fun and be good to each other !

"He is wise who watches"

Enjoy your fortnight away from the front.

The Fr deck is out of isolation !

"He is wise who watches"

Noticed it yesterday when downloading some other files.

Great - thanks for the heads up. Shall download now. Hope your hol is going well. Yon and I had a lovely narrow boat break on the Kennet & Avon canal. It was sooooo nice to be out of isolation ourselves and in that environment again Hope everyone is in good health still.

Smile

Finally got to play Mission 4 this morning.
    Quite a marathon. 10 turns before I called the game on turn 11. Lots of interesting action.
    Probably wont be able to post the AAR until Tuesday or Wednesday.

Need to print it off to ad to the collection. Nice one

Unhappy

Looks like my plan to play the next mission this weekend will have to be postponed.
    A deep Low has formed over the South Coast & we have had continuous heavy rain yesterday & all night. The Forecast is this will continue until next Tuesday!

Still in shed life at the minute so I too will be delayed.

"He is wise who watches"

Unhappy

Further to my previous post the SES (Emergency Services) have now issued a Flood Warning for Wamban & Moruya for this afternoon!

Could have used that flood about 8 or 9 months ago.

Holy wotsit Baz, it does seem that Nature's out to get you... Stay safe mate.

"He is wise who watches"

Take care Baz - seems like you guys are getting an aweful time of it weather wise. Hope those floods don't happen

All that and Corvid

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Smile

Here is a photo showing how far the creek came up over the bridge on the way to town.
    Later that day all the Armco was below water.
    Fortunately it dropped below the deck yesterday at lunch time & I got to grab some supplies.
    Fine & Sunny here today but LOTS of standing water over low lying fields.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a flooded bridge.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	88.5 KB 
ID:	291140

Strewth!

Here's hoping it all clears up soon.

Stay safe & well Barry.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

That looks serious. Stay dry Baz - all the best

Question The new Lucky Pilot Rule.?

Dave (flash) & I have been chatting about the change in the Ace Rule about the Lucky Pilot skill being able to ignore the Boom Card which was not the case in previous OTT campaigns.
    What is the consensus of the other pilots in the current CYM campaign.
    Would you like to return to the previous rule or retain the new rule?

Please give us your thoughts & opinion.

Decisions, decisions ...

Option 1) If we are not going to use other modified Ace Rules we should stick with the way it is.
    OR
    Option 2) If we change the Lucky Pilot back to Lucky Git we should also bring back the Levels I and II for both this skill and the others.

I could support either option.

The question is whether to modify Lucky Pilot so it does not negate the boom card, as was the case with the previous Lucky Git skill..
    There is no question of bringing in level II skills, or, modifying any others. That is not an option at this time.

Personally I support the change, even a lucky git should have something to worry about !

"He is wise who watches"

I really do not mind, one way or the other, so long as we all know what we are supposed to be doing.
    even a lucky git should have something to worry about !
    Happy with this statement.
    On the other hand a Lucky Git might just find that the potentially lethal shot just missed. Remember, the damage card ignored must be shuffled back into the pack, so the same pilot could still draw it on the next hit - and luck has run out.

Aahha, too late Barry, I drew the boom card and negated it, not usually using these tricksy attributes I don't mind what the decision is, just as long as no one expects me to remember.

just as long as no one expects me to remember.
    Ah yes - that too for me these days, sadly

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    Dave (flash) & I have been chatting about the change in the Ace Rule about the Lucky Pilot skill being able to ignore the Boom Card which was not the case in previous OTT campaigns.
    What is the consensus of the other pilots in the current CYM campaign.
    Would you like to return to the previous rule or retain the new rule?

Please give us your thoughts & opinion.
    Stick with the unmodified Lucky Pilot.

It still leaves the user with a quandary of whether save it "just in case" when drawing a wound, engine damage, fire etc.

I agree with Pete - leave it unmodified. I also agree with John - it’s one more thing to remember. But on the other hand I didn’t use it with Mike’s mission and none of my pilots for either side has the lucky pilot skill or potential skill. Is it really an issue? If not, leave things be.

Smile

Got to fly Mission 5 today. Quite the tussle & it went right down to the wire over 11 turns!
    Probably wont be able to post the AAR until Wednesday.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    ...It still leaves the user with a quandary of whether save it "just in case" when drawing a wound, engine damage, fire etc.
    ...Remember, the damage card ignored must be shuffled back into the pack, so the same pilot could still draw it on the next hit - and luck has run out.
    Good points, thanks for your contributions all, I think we shall leave it as is, unmodified, as written.

I have one pilot with this as an inherent skill - I've modified it for him (otherwise he has the full skill) until he makes ace, if he ever does..!
    Other than scenarios, Baz is the only other with a pilot with this skill at the moment, though I don't expect that to last long...

"He is wise who watches"

Smile

Good points, thanks for your contributions all, I think we shall leave it as is, unmodified, as written.

So just to make it clear for all.
    Lucky Pilot can NOT negate the Boom Card!

I think you have it backwards, Baz.
    Lucky Pilot can negate any single card.
    It was modified in previous OTT campaigns.

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    So just to make it clear for all. Lucky Pilot can NOT negate the Boom Card!
    Incorrect Baz !

Pete has it right - It's the WoG rule as written:

Lucky Pilot:
    This pilot may choose to ignore a single damage card during the game after drawing and seeing it.
    The ignored card is shuffled back into the deck.
    To remember that this skill has been used discard its token.

https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...l=1#post521175

So just to make it clear for all:

Lucky Pilot CAN negate the Boom Card !

"He is wise who watches"

Glad thats cleared up

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

OK, time to recruit a Lucky Pilot or two!

Smile

Thanks Dave! It got very confusing.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    OK, time to recruit a Lucky Pilot or two!
    That will be Giesebrecht's choice (if he gets there ...)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. OTT Cocky Young Men Campaign 1916
    By flash in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 299
    Last Post: 05-08-2021, 01:53
  2. Mess of The Daring Young Men !
    By flash in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 541
    Last Post: 02-21-2020, 02:29
  3. Get 'em When They're Young
    By Stumptonian in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 03-24-2017, 23:43
  4. What goes on in the mess, stays in the mess.......
    By Guntruck in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 08-23-2013, 02:34
  5. 33 yrs old... I mean young lol
    By HTRAINo in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 04-02-2013, 21:36