Ares Games
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: OTT Cocky Young Men Campaign 1916

Same as post 16 above - inserted the photo directly from my computer using the "insert image" option but clicking on WYSIWYG before posting...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CYM06BBKarl.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by mikeemagnus View Post
    OK guys, I'm sticking my neck out here, but I have just had a long chat with a mate of mine and believe me he is a true expert, operating at a Nationally very high level. To cut a very long story short, he says there are two likely possible sources of the problem involving duplication.

1) At server source, which we cannot do anything about ( I guess that's down to Keith and I explained to my friend that Keith had already explored the issue and could not fathom it - Hope I was right there).

2) A browser issue. There are four main browsers in use, Chrome, Firefox, Edge and Safari and there are serious web browser technology incompatabilities involved, with one of those in particular at odds with those setting the world wide standards. The advice is for everyone to try uploading images with different browsers to see if that resolves the issues. I use Firefox and have no problems. My friend does have serious issues with Chrome and strongly suggests that the problem may lie there. I am no expert, not by a very long shot, but I trust this guy implicitly. So try his advice. If you are not using Firefox, try it. He also had good things to say about Edge.

So there you have it. I can say no more - the info is yours to do with as you wish.
    I've tried three different browsers on two different computers with consistent results...

https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...d=1#post536673

In all cases the WYSIWG editing option is not compatible with the "Manage attachments" option. If photos have been inserted with an option such that the text "[Attach=Config]...." is in your post you will get duplicates if you use the WYSIWYG button as that button replaces the "[Attach=Config}..." text with "[IMG..." text but it leaves the "Attachment" list intact. Since the program thinks the 'attachments' aren't being used they show up at the bottom with the blue border - as would any attachment that's not used. It just so happens that the 'attachment' photo is the same as the IMG photo.

That means that a [IMG].... photo is not treated as an attachment. The attachments show up a [Attach=Config]... How you insert the photo will either create an "attachment" or an "IMG" insertion. Using the WYSIWYG editing option replaces all [Attach.... text with [IMG... text but leaves a list in the attachment manager of apparently unused attachments.

Same at the post above - #17 but this time I will edit and remove the image from the "Manage Attachments" / Upload Manager....and bingo the duplicate removed.

So, if you have duplicates - edit your post. If the images are shown as inserted with [IMG.... text, go to "Manage Attachments" which will open the Upload Manager. Then delete the duplicates from the list. Click on the 'x' to close the upload manager. Save the file. The duplicates should be gone but your IMG photos should remain. But please try this with just one photo first...I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowDragon View Post
    Same at the post above - #17 but this time I will edit and remove the image from the "Manage Attachments" / Upload Manager....and bingo the duplicate removed.

So, if you have duplicates - edit your post. If the images are shown as inserted with [IMG.... text, go to "Manage Attachments" which will open the Upload Manager. Then delete the duplicates from the list. Click on the 'x' to close the upload manager. Save the file. The duplicates should be gone but your IMG photos should remain. But please try this with just one photo first...I could be wrong.

This all is very educational. Final line is stay away from WYSIWYG!

When deleting the duplicate image by clicking on the 'X', how do you know it is the correct image to delete? I have gone into Manage Attachments before to do this but could not tell which of the two to delete. I ended up having to delete both and going back to insert the image at the proper location in the text of the AAR.

Well I have fixed 109, 110, and 111 but cannot fix 108 that has just the 'blue line' pic.

WYSIWYG does not show anything but the text.

I even tried reloading the photo - no go.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post

When deleting the duplicate image by clicking on the 'X', how do you know it is the correct image to delete? I have gone into Manage Attachments before to do this but could not tell which of the two to delete. I ended up having to delete both and going back to insert the image at the proper location in the text of the AAR.
    When deleting 'real' duplicates (as opposed to these automatic duplications of all photos) I was able to discern which one to delete by the file name.
    The dupe had a 1 at the end of the name.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    When deleting 'real' duplicates (as opposed to these automatic duplications of all photos) I was able to discern which one to delete by the file name.
    The dupe had a 1 at the end of the name.
    Thanks, I hadn't noticed that. I'll make a mental note if it happens to me again.

Interesting & informative set of tests. Thanks, Shadow.

I'll merge this into the campaign thread soon to keep it all together. At least we're getting to know what not to do.
    I wonder if some load all their pics then hit the A/A WYSIWYG button to see how it looks before posting thereby inadvertently creating the duplicates.

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    I'll merge this into the campaign thread soon to keep it all together. At least we're getting to know what not to do.
    I wonder if some load all their pics then hit the A/A WYSIWYG button to see how it looks before posting thereby inadvertently creating the duplicates.
    Good idea, Dave. I did it separately to keep the test variations together, but I'm done with variations.

My guess is the same - hitting the WYSIWYG button and creating duplicates, which could happen at any time - even with editing at a later time. Are there other things that would switch the 'attachments' to 'image insertions'. I don't know. Couldn't see one but perhaps something for Keith to look into.

I always use the WYSIWYG button to make sure I've got the right pictures with the right text.

Mike talks about a Preview Post button that I've never noticed so that might be a good way round not using the WYSIWYG button. Having said that I've used the WYSIWYG button for a long time and the duplicates are more recent, so I imagine something changed with the changes to the site but I don't know that for a fact, although I could look to see when I started getting the duplicates.

Paul well done with the tests.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    I always use the WYSIWYG button to make sure I've got the right pictures with the right text.

Mike talks about a Preview Post button that I've never noticed so that might be a good way round not using the WYSIWYG button. Having said that I've used the WYSIWYG button for a long time and the duplicates are more recent, so I imagine something changed with the changes to the site but I don't know that for a fact, although I could look to see when I started getting the duplicates.

Paul well done with the tests.
    Cheers
    Yes, it doesn't change the text at all unlike WYSIWYG - the test below will show if it does or not. If there's no duplicate, it doesn't change the text. If there's a duplicate then it works the same as WYSIWYG.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	90A25EDA-FDAE-4DAD-B0FF-F5F6F9F415ED.jpeg 
Views:	131 
Size:	66.9 KB 
ID:	291484

Works okay. I suggest using the "preview post" option in lieu of WYSIWYG.

Yep, I've always used preview post to proof read my AAR.

"He is wise who watches"

Looks like that is the way forward. I will try and post game 5 over the next day or so and will follow Mikes guidelines and see how I go with it. Gawd help him if it's a complete mess.

He's got a lot to answer for already because I've tried yet again to use 3d terrain following his wonderful example, and it doesn't get any easier to move planes over it.

OK just posted game 5 and it looks ok to me, I didn't touch the WYSIWYG button, followed Mikes instructions and used the Preview Button, so thanks to Mike for the instructions and Paul for the testing.

New Post.
    New Pic.
    Teaticket's method.
    Fingers crossed ....

Name:	Bf 109E.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	16.6 KB 
ID:	291760

Actually I can't get the process Teaticket showed for just one pic, but I think I managed to make this one work.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    New Post.
    New Pic.
    Teaticket's method.
    Fingers crossed ....

Name:	Bf 109E.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	16.6 KB 
ID:	291760

Actually I can't get the process Teaticket showed for just one pic, but I think I managed to make this one work.
    Looks good.

OK just posted game 5 and it looks ok to me, I didn't touch the WYSIWYG button, followed Mikes instructions and used the Preview Button, so thanks to Mike for the instructions and Paul for the testing.
    Looks like you sorted it John.

"He is wise who watches"

It looks like you guys have sorted it out to being the WYSIWYG function. It is highly possible that the forum software code (which is really old) does not play nicely with the updated server code for that function. I'll see if there is a way for me to disable the WYSIWYG feature so that people do not accidently use it going forward.

Well done chaps, I flagged up your efforts to Herr Oberst for his info.
    Looking in the Painting Showcase I've now been able to correct some postings though what I've tried here with yours.
    Good collective effort

"He is wise who watches"

Hello all, A quick apology for not making an appearance for some time. Not likely to either for a while longer. We are on a domestic reshuffle including moving furniture around and re decorating etc etc Not my idea of fun but needs doing just the same. Catch up again soon

Meanwhile, take care,

Mike

Hi Mike, I know where you are coming from. Sadly I have been out of action for some time myself. A delayed move is the cause. 99% of everything has been in storage since November, bought a new home in April that needed quite a bit of work which is almost done, FINALLY! Last week our belongings were delivered but the basement now is the final scene from Raiders of the Lost Arc. We should be in next weekend but there still will be much shifting of furniture, unboxing and shifting, the fun stuff! I hope to be caught up in the Campaign by October if all goes well. Hope to get to mission 4 soon!

stay safe all,

Peter

Hello all, A quick apology for not making an appearance for some time. Not likely to either for a while longer. We are on a domestic reshuffle including moving furniture around and re decorating etc etc Not my idea of fun but needs doing just the same. Catch up again soon

Meanwhile, take care,

Mike

We are painting the outside of the house, thats why its raining.

We are painting the outside of the house, thats why its raining.
    Oh John! Now that's classic "Resistentialism" otherwise known as sods law

Well we're getting there, but the outside of the house starts next spring - oh joy On a positive note, hope to restart Dover boards sometime next week.

Good luck with the unpacking Peter

OK Time to do some more painting. Carpets arriving in a few days.

Laters guys

Just have to remove 10 cm or so from the bottom of a large door, rehang the door, move some furniture around, and we are done (for the time being) - wooohooooo. Back to the Dover boards later today or tomorrow See you soon guys.

Smile

Finally got to play Mission 6 this Morning. I choose the Dover Raid which was not an easy task for my Doggies.
    Should be able to write up the AAR over the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    Finally got to play Mission 6 this Morning. I choose the Dover Raid which was not an easy task for my Doggies.
    Should be able to write up the AAR over the weekend.
    Not an easy task....but did you enjoy it?

Smile

Not an easy task....but did you enjoy it?
    Hi Peter. Yes it was an enjoyable romp.
    Got to utilise some of Colbatman's War at Sea scenery for Dover harbour.

...Got to utilise some of Colbatman's War at Sea scenery for Dover harbour.
    That's a nice way to honour his memory Baz. Look forward to seeing it in action.

"He is wise who watches"

Cool. Look forward to seeing your rendition with scenery of one of our departed.

It looked great, just read the report.

I’m going to post my scenario early because having finished painting the outside of the house Mrs V insists we deserve a holiday and we are going to deepest darkest East Anglia and staying in Thetford Forest. This sounds like the sort of place I might not get a phone signal or indeed get out of alive but hopefully I’m totally wrong. I tried explaining to her about posting the game scenario at the right time but she just wouldn’t listen to reason.
    However I have persuaded her to go to the Saxon Village at West Stow, also to see Framlington and Orford Castles and she’s currently considering what she can do if I get my way and visit the Duxford Plane Museum, so it’s not all bad.

Has anyone been to Duxford and is it worth going to, I’m only really interested in WWI and I believe that is quite a small part of the total exhibition.

Anyway I will post the scenario next and hopefully there won’t be any questions but if there are I should be able to field them and if not I’m back about the 4th Oct, if we don’t get eaten by wolves or worse.

...Has anyone been to Duxford and is it worth going to, I’m only really interested in WWI and I believe that is quite a small part of the total exhibition...
    Yes and Yes !
    Been many years but it is an excellent museum - more WW2 oriented perhaps but good all the same. Great land warfare hall too.
    If you want WW1 you'd have to find Stowe Maries in Essex or the Shuttleworth collection in Bedfordshire (just a bit further than Duxford)

"He is wise who watches"

Yes and Yes !
    Been many years but it is an excellent museum - more WW2 oriented perhaps but good all the same. Great land warfare hall too.
    If you want WW1 you'd have to find Stowe Maries in Essex or the Shuttleworth collection in Bedfordshire (just a bit further than Duxford)
    Thanks Dave, I know of Shuttleworth didn't know it was going to be so close.
    Cheers

Smile

Got to "Snap the Trap" this morning so will upload the photos this afternoon but wont be able to write up the AAR until the weekend.
    Expecting delivery of a skip bin tomorrow for me to fill with all the stuff I cant move into the Villa.
    All going well with my purchase but still waiting for the purchaser of the Farm to get printed confirmation of their bank loan. Seems the Loan Officer "mislaid" the application.

Got to "Snap the Trap" this morning so will upload the photos this afternoon but wont be able to write up the AAR until the weekend.
    Expecting delivery of a skip bin tomorrow for me to fill with all the stuff I cant move into the Villa.
    All going well with my purchase but still waiting for the purchaser of the Farm to get printed confirmation of their bank loan. Seems the Loan Officer "mislaid" the application.
    Good luck with the Villa.

When I bought my first house back in '93 the agent representing the seller had Alzheimer's. In the home stretch, the day after I put down my deposit and filled out umpteen forms in triplicate I got a call to come into the office again and fill out the forms as they were missing! Needless to say I was very nervous about my deposit more than the forms. It all worked out in the end luckily. I'm sure your application will pass.

Thumbs up

Good luck with the Villa.

When I bought my first house back in '93 the agent representing the seller had Alzheimer's. In the home stretch, the day after I put down my deposit and filled out umpteen forms in triplicate I got a call to come into the office again and fill out the forms as they were missing! Needless to say I was very nervous about my deposit more than the forms. It all worked out in the end luckily. I'm sure your application will pass.
    Thanks Peter!

Finally, sort of finished the Dover boards, although every time I look at it I think there is a lot more to do Got a lot of catching up to do now Sorry guys, seem to have hit a patch where I just needed to give it all a rest.

Name:	Dover Boards 7.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	113.0 KB 
ID:	293534

Hope you are all keeping well

Finally, sort of finished the Dover boards, although every time I look at it I think there is a lot more to do Got a lot of catching up to do now Sorry guys, seem to have hit a patch where I just needed to give it all a rest.

Name:	Dover Boards 7.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	113.0 KB 
ID:	293534

Hope you are all keeping well
    LORDY! OMG!

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowDragon View Post
    LORDY! OMG!
    Ditto

That is fantastic Mike, did you use paint, flock or a mixture of both.

A masterful build, but where's the roll on roll off ferry terminal?

Amazing, Mike.

Looking forward to your AAR.

Sorry guys, seem to have hit a patch where I just needed to give it all a rest.
    Seems to be a lot of that going around these days.
    Not to worry.

Wow, looks great Mike. Can't wait to see your AAR using it.

Thumbs up

Super work from the master of 3D scenery!

Thanks guys. It was a much bigger project than I originally anticipated and oddly enough it brought back rather too many memories which also contributed to the hold up of progress.

did you use paint, flock or a mixture of both.
    Hi John. Its the usual mix of both paint and flock, although in this case, all but one of the fields has been flocked as well as pre painted. The town pieces are on card and mostly painted, with a bit of flock here and there.

Beautiful work, Mike, rep-worthy!

Flocking amazing job Mike !

"He is wise who watches"

Thanks guys. It was a much bigger project than I originally anticipated and oddly enough it brought back rather too many memories which also contributed to the hold up of progress.

Hi John. Its the usual mix of both paint and flock, although in this case, all but one of the fields has been flocked as well as pre painted. The town pieces are on card and mostly painted, with a bit of flock here and there.
    I'll say again, AMAZING, ties in very nicely with the background, but I guess that's no coincidence.

Mike you have too much time and talent . Surely SWMBO has work for you to do, otherwise i need a hand building my games den over here in France

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Surely SWMBO has work for you to do, otherwise i need a hand building my games den over here in France
    yea, too right Paul. I spent two hours, this morning, digging horse ****e into bags and loading them into the car, for the allotment. Got to go again on Saturday, but that will have to be a morning job 'cos there's no way I'm going to miss Exeter Chiefs v Wasps in the afternoon Go Chiefs
    Thanks for all of the kind comments guys, much appreciated, as are te reps - Thanks

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. OTT Daring Young Men Campaign 1916
    By flash in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 251
    Last Post: 02-19-2020, 07:01
  2. AAR OTT Daring Young Men Mission 2, 14th January 1916, Coming and Going
    By mikeemagnus in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 02-22-2019, 09:34
  3. Replies: 20
    Last Post: 02-19-2019, 07:27
  4. Replies: 21
    Last Post: 01-22-2019, 15:09
  5. AAR OTT Daring Young Men Mission 1 Luftwachdienst – Sperrflug - 5th January 1916
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 01-21-2019, 11:34