Ares Games

Thread: New scenario book?

Default New scenario book?

Over at BBG, this has come to my attention:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardg...ar-midway-1942

Seems to come out of the blue. Does anyone know more about this?

Hmm, looking a little closer, that book seems to be wrongly associated with Wings of Glory. It is probably for another game...

I think this is the new WGS starter set. There was something on the Facebook way back that this was being experimented with. Probably 2021 not 2020.

Better start snapping up SBD's and F4F's as well as the Japanses opponents. I am thinking maybe Merit toys?

You would think the starter set would be 2 x F4Fs and 2 x A6M2 re-prints along the lines of the Battle of Britain starter set, if that is what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Redhugh View Post
    You would think the starter set would be 2 x F4Fs and 2 x A6M2 re-prints along the lines of the Battle of Britain starter set, if that is what it is.
    This sounds like what ARES would do and is reasonable. Then they probably would reprint the Vals and SBDs. Then hopefully add in the Kates and Devastators/Avengers.

On the suspicious side, the title of the book has "Wings of War" in it. That is NOT Ares. I can't see them putting that on anything official.

I'd go with the mistaken attribution, if anything.

Ares has yet to complete the release of the Battle of Britain bombers, and they haven't completed the release of the Corsairs and P-39s for which they have hinted . It seems very odd that they would be putting out a Midway supplement of any type, without a release of applicable planes. And, they are not on the horizon, at all.

Unless, they've purposely had a secrecy clamp on anything concerning a reprint of the Wildcats and Zeros.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Looks like an after market hopeful to me, using the old WoW strap, not an Ares product.

"He is wise who watches"

This is not an Ares product. The publisher is listed as Ebob Miniatures who appears to sculpt and paint minis as well as dabble in some rules sets.

Thanks for clearing that one up Keith.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

I went to the Ebob Miniatures website and left a message for Bob Souter the author. He replied yesterday and kindly sent me a draft of the booklet. He uses the rules from 'Wings of War - Fire from the Sky' to move and fight the aircraft, which have to locate and attack the enemy fleet. The Japanese can also attack Midway Island. He uses a 4 foot by 6 foot board, 1/144 scale aircraft models and 1/1200 scale ships. The rules will be published on Lulu (the print on demand company) when they are complete.

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    I went to the Ebob Miniatures website and left a message for Bob Souter the author. He replied yesterday and kindly sent me a draft of the booklet. He uses the rules from 'Wings of War - Fire from the Sky' to move and fight the aircraft, which have to locate and attack the enemy fleet. The Japanese can also attack Midway Island. He uses a 4 foot by 6 foot board, 1/144 scale aircraft models and 1/1200 scale ships. The rules will be published on Lulu (the print on demand company) when they are complete.
    He might want to talk to Andrea first. He still holds the WoW copyrights, and Ares via him.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Funny you found this as Mikejr74 is running a Midway game at COLD WARS next month. If you go to the US WINGS section you will see that TEATICKET (Peter) has listed the summary of the games.

Bob Souter the owner of Ebob miniatures has given me permission to share with you his draft Midway Scenario. I have had to extract the rules from the rest of the booklet, which consists of photographs of carrier operations, and upload one page at a time because of the maximum file size of 2Mb allowed for an uploaded file.

I have invited Mr Souter to join the Aerodrome. We shall have to wait and see whether he does.

MidwayRulespage1.pdf

MidwayRulespage2.pdf

MidwayRulespage3.pdf

MidwayRulespage4.pdf

MidwayRulespage5.pdf

I just did a quick read-through of these rules. It looks like a set of rules to refight 3 days of battle in 1 game. I'm not sure how you will be able to fit the proper balance of ships and planes on 1 4*6 mat. And to take the neutralization of midway out of the victory conditions makes this just a rehash of an old Avalon Hill game.(air force/dauntless) come to mind. After spending the last year planning for the midway games I have planned for cold wars, I just don't see midway in this scenario. Now if it was call battle of the coral sea and in setup you took out the islands, there might be something. It's interesting just not midway. In my opinion.

Thanks for posting, David.

I notice the page numbers are different in the actual pdf files: Page 4 is numbered 7 and Page 5 is numbered 8.
    Did you purposely leave out pages that had no actual rules on them?

Yes, I deliberately omitted pages of photographs of carrier operations, Pete. None of the rules are missing.

Similar Missions

1. New book.
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 06-23-2019, 09:14
  2. WGF Don't think we've seen this book before
    By Guntruck in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 07-10-2013, 20:00
  3. The IAR.80 & IAR.81 Book
    By richard m schwab in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 1